PDA

View Full Version : Kennebec Ferry tips and schedule 2015

Lauriep
09-16-2015, 19:51
Hikers in Maine or headed to Maine:

Plan ahead to make sure you can catch the free Kennebec Ferry. The ferry is the official A.T. -- the canoe has a white blaze on it. (Where else can you experience a mobile white blaze?)

If you're tempted to ford (and the thought probably crosses the minds of many), and even if you are willing to risk your own life, think about this. Fording not only risks your own life but puts others at risk who might have to bail you out if the river rises unexpectedly. This can happen--without notice--when the dam upstream releases water.

Ferryman Dave Corrigan has reported some scary close calls this summer. One trained rescue swimmer has already put his life at risk this summer to bail out an overconfident hiker. A long-distance hiker has already drowned crossing the Kennebec; that's why there's been a ferry in place since that happened to Alice Ference 30 years ago.

Who wants another fatality?

Two young would-be thru-hikers have died in other bodies of water on the A.T. in New England. Just because you've hiked 2000 miles or more and are in great shape, or are a strong swimmer, or have heard about others who have been lucky, doesn't mean that your safety is guaranteed.

A few weeks of ago I talked to a recent nobo who took the ferry, and when he got to the other side, thought to himself, "that wasn't so bad, maybe I could have forded." Then as he walked along the bank upstream he watched the water rise rapidly in just a few minutes. I forget his exact words, but they were something like "holy ****."

As another recent nobo posted elsewhere, "if you don't use the ferryman to cross, you may wind up using another type of ferryman, if you follow Greek mythology."

Less dramatic, but you could also lose some or all of your gear if you get swept downstream. You're not likely to hear anyone bragging about it, but it happens.

Here are the details of this year's ferry service:

Until Sept. 30: 9-11 am & 2-4 pm daily

October 1-12: 9-11 am only

October 13-31: If and only if weather permits and someone is available, $50 (for 1 or 2 people)

No service is available after October 31

TIP: Plan on getting to the river at least 1/2 hour before the session ends, sooner if you're in the bubble.

The ferry is the historic route of the A.T. The ferry is funded by ATC and managed by MATC. ALDHA has contributed to the costs of the ferry service as well.

More info at: www.matc.org/for-hikers/kennebec-river-ferry

Laurie P.
ATC

Different Socks
09-16-2015, 19:55
1992--I did my thru and didn't use the ferry. Guess I got lucky.

Lone Wolf
09-16-2015, 20:56
i've forded many times. it's not that dangerous if done early in the morning

BirdBrain
09-16-2015, 21:15
Good info LP. Also, do not underestimate how cold the lakes of Maine can be. One of the fatalities was at Pierce Pond just South (west) of the ferry. I read that Parkside cramped up because his hot body hit that cold water. Another thing to consider is that many lakes have hidden boulders in them. Be careful where you dive in. Cloud Pond is an example. Be safe guys. No down side to being safe.

Lone Wolf
09-16-2015, 21:20
there are much more dangerous fords on the western trails

Starchild
09-16-2015, 21:26
Just curious any hikers inflate their sleeping pad for the unofficial crossing, as said many are tempted to try it, me too, but the ferry was right there. Would a inflated sleeping pad help if caught off guard?

As for tipping the ferryman I recommend it, usually it gets you to the other side, or else you forever have to wonder the eastern banks of the river, but at least you have a breakfast plan.

BirdBrain
09-16-2015, 21:32
I tipped the ferryman with a couple "gold" presidential dollars. He got a big kick out of it.

Lauriep
09-16-2015, 21:41
The ferryman said a couple of nobos this year tried to build a raft, but it fell apart and sank. Then they took the ferry.

Water Rat
09-16-2015, 21:55
Just because something CAN be done (like, fording the river instead of using the ferry), it doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. The ferry is there for a very good reason and many people often overestimate their skills and underestimate bodies of water. Pre-hike a person may have been a very strong swimmer, but after 2,000 miles of hiking most will not have the same upper body strength that they had when they started out.

Any body of water can be dangerous - It doesn't take much for someone to drown. All it takes is that one time where things worked out different than they normally do.

Laurie P. - Thanks for offering the information! :)

LittleRock
09-17-2015, 07:48
Maybe this is a stupid question but going to ask anyway. If the river crossing is so dangerous, why not just build a footbridge? It doesn't seem like building a footbridge over the Kennebec River would be any more difficult or costly than the one over the James River in VA.

wormer
09-17-2015, 08:02
I have always thought that using the bridge in Bingham to cross might be a good idea.

tdoczi
09-17-2015, 08:07
Maybe this is a stupid question but going to ask anyway. If the river crossing is so dangerous, why not just build a footbridge? It doesn't seem like building a footbridge over the Kennebec River would be any more difficult or costly than the one over the James River in VA.

ive gotten the impression they just dont build bridges over bodies of water that not a whole lot of people ever cross. around saddleback, sugarloaf, crocker, bigelow, etc, there are footbridges. i imagine because the amount of trouble that might be caused by tons of more casual hikers trying to ford all the time probably warrants construction of a bridge. the kennebec is in a spot where one can easily see that no one but AT hikers would ever use it. a local can just drive and park else where to access the other side of the river. its likely not even about cost, they may just not want an likely to be seldom sued bridge "ruining" the river. not an entirely unreasonable idea.

a better question might be why they bothered building the james river footbridge or why it was allowed. seems like the trail at some point could have been routed to a road bridge not terribly far away. i imagine that a pre-existing railroad bridge used to be there made it easier.

Starchild
09-17-2015, 08:14
Bridges also wash out, that river crossing is very wide and in an area with significant snow. Not saying it could not be done, but it's not like placing a log across the stream type of crossing.

The canoe crossing also adds to the uniqueness of the AT, and it is a very obvious and personal gesture of good will that the energy of the AT is known for. Bridges are nice, but like the 24/7 manned guard of JFK's eternal flame (which I understand is a great honor to serve on), the canoe crossing is manned throughout the hiking season for the good of the hikers.

Ktaadn
09-17-2015, 09:29
I've been to JFK's grave many times. I've never seen a guard there.

Back to the bridge, it is my understanding that ice flows can make building a bridge and keeping it in place a pretty big problem. Just not worth it I guess.

BirdBrain
09-17-2015, 10:47
No need to build a bridge there. There is already a canoe. The ice flows would force the bridge to be quite high. It is quite a span. The Winooski Bridge cost $1,500,000. That bridge is 224' long. At about 70 yards, the Kennebec River crossing would require such a bridge. 1.5 million to solve a problem that already has a solution? We have a saying up here. I suspect we do not own the saying. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". A canoe is more easily maintained than a bridge. No need for a bridge. Just a need for hikers to be informed, be patient, or take a risk. I seriously doubt we are spending 1.5 million just so AT walkers can have a more convenient way of crossing. Wildcat E and the Mahoosuc Arm are inconvenient. The ferry is cake. Besides, the ferry is fun and unique. It is all part of the adventure.

Trainguy
09-17-2015, 10:53
I used to work at the dam on the Kennebec River that released the water. I can tell you the water release can happen at any time. Generally, we used to release substantial flow somewhere around 9:00 AM for both the beginning of peak use of electricity and for whitewater rafters. That release from Harris Station (the dam upriver) does substantially raise the depth and flow of the river in short time. However, that water release could happen at any time due to power demand, for instance, when any other generator on the power grid will "trip" offline, then the call would come to Harris Station to get our generators online.

Play it safe people. There are not guaranteed times when those generators go on and offline. You are taking a major risk fording the river. You will NOT have time to outrun the water rise and flow.

soilman
09-17-2015, 11:53
I tried fording back in 1976 before ATC provided a ferry. The current was too strong and the water too deep so I retreated. I called a ferry. Waited 2.5 hours and paid $8, but it was worth it.

atraildreamer
09-17-2015, 12:10

Back to the bridge, it is my understanding that ice flows can make building a bridge and keeping it in place a pretty big problem. Just not worth it I guess.

I think Starchild meant the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

tdoczi
09-17-2015, 12:58
I tried fording back in 1976 before ATC provided a ferry. The current was too strong and the water too deep so I retreated. I called a ferry. Waited 2.5 hours and paid $8, but it was worth it.

if one was going nobo how would one have called a ferry back then? just curious. was there a phone set up there for doing so?

Starchild
09-17-2015, 14:58
I think Starchild meant the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Ok thanks, got them mixed up, but the concept remains regardless.

rickb
09-17-2015, 17:24

But you did get to see a small piece (or two) of Monson.

egilbe
09-17-2015, 17:31
I used to work at the dam on the Kennebec River that released the water. I can tell you the water release can happen at any time. Generally, we used to release substantial flow somewhere around 9:00 AM for both the beginning of peak use of electricity and for whitewater rafters. That release from Harris Station (the dam upriver) does substantially raise the depth and flow of the river in short time. However, that water release could happen at any time due to power demand, for instance, when any other generator on the power grid will "trip" offline, then the call would come to Harris Station to get our generators online.

Play it safe people. There are not guaranteed times when those generators go on and offline. You are taking a major risk fording the river. You will NOT have time to outrun the water rise and flow.

A friend of mine was training to be a whitewater guide for a rafting company. I would get free rafting trips just yo be a paddler so my friend could get experience. We put in below Harris Station and the water flow stopped. We started dragging the raft down the river because it was all bare rocks. Within seconds the water rose from ankle deep, to knee deep while we were dragging the raft. We ran back upstream and closer to shore so we could run Magic Falls and the Alleyway. We ended up swimming because the raft tubestanded. When they say the water rises fast, they aren't kidding. It was the same stretch of river where the fisherman got washed downstream and drowned.

TJ aka Teej
09-17-2015, 18:42
Thanks for the great info, TrainGuy.
I've paddled the blazed canoe, and my kids and I spent a long weekend swimming, fording, and kayaking with Steve "The Ferryman" Longley at the crossing.
Two kinds of folks attempt a ford: folks following bad advice, and folks ignoring good advice.

JustaTouron
09-17-2015, 19:10
Laurie,

Maybe the ATC should define the canoe ride as mandatory to earn the 2000 miler patch. I bet that would increase compliance.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
09-17-2015, 20:10
it's all about the patch/certificate

rickb
09-17-2015, 20:35
it's all about the patch/certificate

What is wrong with you?

Not only should we require that thru hikers take the Canoe, we should mandate that they all camp in groups of three or more.

After all, 6 times as many Thru hikers have died at the hand of a complete stranger on the AT as have drowned crossing the Kennebec.

BirdBrain
09-17-2015, 21:58
What is wrong with you?

Not only should we require that thru hikers take the Canoe, we should mandate that they all camp in groups of three or more.

After all, 6 times as many Thru hikers have died at the hand of a complete stranger on the AT as have drowned crossing the Kennebec.

I realize you are being sarcastic, but are you really going to compare a 70 yards crossing to a trail over a couple thousand miles? Here we go again comparing a golf ball to Jupiter. Another useless usage of statistics.

Malto
09-17-2015, 22:09
Actually the info on the ford would be interesting for folks that may cross out of season. Could someone please define what the range of normal water depth is between dam release and non dam release?

egilbe
09-17-2015, 22:22
From my experience, it's about six feet. It's really dependent on how wide the river is.

BirdBrain
09-17-2015, 22:32
Actually the info on the ford would be interesting for folks that may cross out of season. Could someone please define what the range of normal water depth is between dam release and non dam release?

I do not have the data you seek. However, depth is not nearly as relevant as velocity. There is an exponential relationship between the rising of the water and the velocity of the water. If an area is normally 2' deep and manageable, that same area will likely be impossible at 4' because the amount of water flowing will not be just doubled.

BirdBrain
09-17-2015, 22:32
Double post. Edited out.

soilman
09-18-2015, 06:39
if one was going nobo how would one have called a ferry back then? just curious. was there a phone set up there for doing so?

I was going SOBO and it was 7:45 am when I arrived at the Kennebec.

mattjv89
09-19-2015, 16:10
I crossed it on the ferry a few days ago on my thru. The water looked low enough to ford when I crossed, and sure enough in the time it took to drive up to the convenience store and back the river was several feet higher with rolling waves. The sign at the rafting place said the dam was scheduled to release 8,000 cubic meters/second that day, that's a lot of water. Both David Corrigan and Eric at the Sterling mentioned there's been a big increase in fords this year. The feeling is that it's due to people bragging on Facebook/ Trailjournals about fording without incident. From the folks that did ford successfully I've heard of water levels ranging from the knees to the neck. Might as well take the ferry, especially going NOBO Pierce Pond is a wonderful spot to spend the night and easily reach the 9-11 ferry run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk