PDA

View Full Version : GA: Hogpen to Unicoi

Uncle Joe
09-16-2015, 20:28
So this is my next section to knock out in my quest to complete the GA section of the AT. Thinking maybe this weekend (9/19-9/20). Anyone else going to be out there? I think I'll have to make this an overnighter. I'm not sure I have the legs for day hiking this.

FatMan
09-16-2015, 21:36
I agree on the overnigter. Not a tough section but why not enjoy a cool night in the woods.

daddytwosticks
09-17-2015, 07:13
Pretty easy section. The middle part is along an old road bed. Rocky before the last shelter and a very steep downhill to Unicoi Gap. Enjoy your hike. :)

Uncle Joe
09-17-2015, 11:13
The shelters seem to be spaced at 4mi and 12mi in. Are there some options along the way for camping? There appears to be good water sources.

skater
09-17-2015, 11:41
I just hiked it a couple weeks ago. There are numerous places along the way to camp. Adequate water. Other than the two ends, it's probably the easiest section, and I did manage it as a dayhike, even though I'm not a particularly fast hiker. I agree with FatMan, though - great place to overnight. On the Blue Mountain slope, we did see a bear, but it was at the very top of a tree and looking for some way to go higher - not anything to be concerned about. You might see some trail maintainers in action, as the GATC is doing 3rd Saturday maintenance near Unicoi on Saturday. It shouldn't interfere with your hike at all, though.

Uncle Joe
09-17-2015, 12:28
Cool, thanks! I wouldn't mind attempting a day hike of it but not sure about that milage. Still getting my legs under me with a pack on. Packless I'm sure I could. I'd hate to pack for a day hike and wish I had my hammock...and breakfast. :p

Uncle Joe
09-22-2015, 17:09
Here's a video of my Hog Pen to Unicoi Section Hike! A bit long but maybe it will make a nice bed-time video and save you a Nytol. This section was very interesting with the latter part being very different than the first. Chattahoochee Gap to Unicoi had a lot more rock and steeper side slopes. Whereas the Hog Pen to Chatt Gap much less so. From Low Gap to Chatt Gap you hike an old road bed for quite awhile which makes for easy hiking. I was glad to have seen my first bear on the trail! Unfortunately, you can't see the bear very well in the video but he was there. It didn't help that when I stopped a leaf was in front of the camera's view. But you can "bear-ly" (heh) make out a black mass under and around it. He ran away from me and by the time I got the camera going he had stopped by a tree and it made him harder to see between the vegetation and the distance. Fun hike, though!

<font color="#141823"><span style="font-family: helvetica">
https://youtu.be/7M8SXhx7riI

Uncle Joe
09-22-2015, 17:19
Not sure why the embed failed and I can't edit it.

GA_Windbreaker
09-23-2015, 07:32
Not sure why the embed failed and I can't edit it.

Checking out the rest of your AT videos on YouTube. Good stuff, man! How long did your Springer to Three Forks round trip take you?

Uncle Joe
09-23-2015, 09:04
Checking out the rest of your AT videos on YouTube. Good stuff, man! How long did your Springer to Three Forks round trip take you?

Thanks! I did it as a day hike. I don't recall the exact time. It was my first hike with a pack so I took breaks too. I did Three Forks to Hightower as a day hike as well. I walked back on the road from Hightower, which was a mistake. I'd hoped to have someone take pity on me and schlep me around to my car. No luck. Slogged out 6 or so miles on the road...and it rained.

Lnj
09-23-2015, 09:22
Opinion poll request for the GA section hike... Of all the Mountains or ranges in the GA section, which would you deem to be the most difficult, as in terrain and/or drastic elevation?

ChrisJackson
09-23-2015, 09:40
I always underestimate Rocky Mountain and Kelly Knob. Rocky Mountain is an honest climb either direction, and generally I do it after Kelly Knob and Tray. Kelly Knob (northbound) is always "fun". Plus, when nobo, it comes after that section between Indian Grave Gap and Deep Gap where I generally have no idea where I am except for the Swag of the Blue Ridge. It's just a lot of ups and downs through there...then you hit the ascent up Kelly Knob...

Off the AT, I consider the Coosa Backcountry in Vogel SP to be a great effort. If you can day-hike the Coosa, you're ready for anything GA has to throw at you in my opinion.

Lnj
09-23-2015, 10:02
I always underestimate Rocky Mountain and Kelly Knob. Rocky Mountain is an honest climb either direction, and generally I do it after Kelly Knob and Trey. Kelly Knob (northbound) is always "fun". Plus, when nobo, it comes after that section between Indian Grave Gap and Deep Gap where I generally have no idea where I am except for the Swag of the Blue Ridge. It's just a lot of ups and downs through there...then you hit the ascent up Kelly Knob...

Off the AT, I consider the Coosa Backcountry in Vogel SP to be a great effort. If you can day-hike the Coosa, you're ready for anything GA has to throw at you in my opinion.

Thanks Chris. I will un-hijack this post now. :)

LittleRock
09-23-2015, 11:02
Opinion poll request for the GA section hike... Of all the Mountains or ranges in the GA section, which would you deem to be the most difficult, as in terrain and/or drastic elevation?

I remember the section from Blue Mtn shelter to Tray Mtn shelter kicked my butt. I started from Low Gap shelter that day and knocked out the first 7 miles to Blue Mtn shelter in about 3 hours. Then the big and steep ups and downs started. It took me another 6 hours to get to Tray Mtn shelter, and I passed out on the shelter floor for about 15 min. after I got there.

Lnj
09-23-2015, 14:08
How would the Blood Mtn climb compare?

SteelCut
09-23-2015, 14:56
How would the Blood Mtn climb compare?

When I did it going north I could never figure out what all the fuss was about. It is a fairly long climb from Lance Creek but just never felt steep to me. Maybe it was just a good day for me.

LittleRock
09-23-2015, 15:20
When I did it going north I could never figure out what all the fuss was about. It is a fairly long climb from Lance Creek but just never felt steep to me. Maybe it was just a good day for me.

Agree, Blood Mtn was a long climb but the trail was never very steep so it wasn't that bad.

Uncle Joe
09-23-2015, 17:10
Agree, Blood Mtn was a long climb but the trail was never very steep so it wasn't that bad.

I wouldn't want to climb Blood Sobo though. That was a pretty steep descent. I am doing Unicoi to Dick's next. I'm concerned about the first two climbs. I'd like to get beyond Tray Mountain shelter the first day but that first 5mi may require a stay there. Thoughts? I'm about a 10mi per day hiker. I say that, but I've worked up to that so far. The ten from Hog Pen to Chatt. Gap were fairly benign, though.

Mockernut
09-23-2015, 21:06
I live near the trail and hike sections of it regularly. I've hiked all of the Georgia section multiple times. Hogpen to Unicoi is a decent section, nothing terribly amazing about it but it does have good winter views to the north, looking at Brasstown Bald as you hike.

I consider Unicoi to Dick's the most tiresome. The climbs in either direction are bad. It is truly a trail that is uphill in both directions. It just never seems to end.

Blood is tougher sobo than it is nobo but the sections to the north and south of it are pretty gentle so you get some recovery no matter which way you approach it.

Uncle Joe
09-23-2015, 22:57
I consider Unicoi to Dick's the most tiresome. The climbs in either direction are bad. It is truly a trail that is uphill in both directions. It just never seems to end. .

So I got THAT to look forward to...which is nice. :cool:

daddytwosticks
09-24-2015, 07:22
Did an in and out hike from Unicoi to Tray Mountain Shelter area and back. Overnighter on Labor Day weekend. I'm used to the climb up Rocky Mountain. It's steep, but it does not go on forever. But there are small ups and downs north of Rocky Mtn that can tire you out. I've climbed Kelly Knob northbound twice. The first time was a breeze. The second time about killed me. I really think it depends on many factors. Fresh legs. Well hydrated and fed. Attitude, etc. :)