PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry ,,,, north

paule
09-17-2015, 10:21
First off let me send out a big thank you to all the experienced people on this forum that have made my hikes more enjoyable with their advice and wisdom.I am planning a hike out of Harpers Ferry and heading north,I will be leaving Austin in a week or two,maybe even three.I have not decided on driving or taking the train.I am leaning toward driving that way I can section hike other parts of the trail,north or south.I have checked with Harpers Ferry historical park and was informed I could park there for two weeks,that would give me 6 days to head north and then hike back to my vehicle.I am planning on asking them if I can take the vehicle out and return the next day for another 2 weeks to hike south. This past august I sectioned hiked connecticut and part of mass.I also did some trail magic at falls village.I did not do so well at my first section hike of connecticut,I had planned to hike from kent to the new york line,my pack was to heavy,my gear to old,my shoes to new and was wearing the wrong material to be hiking in hot humid weather.I hiked up to mt algo shelter from the town hall,took a little break and decided to make it to ten mile shelter.I hiked for over ten hours and ended up back at mount algo shelter after getting turned around on some rocks,,,,I was shocked and later laughing about how I could have done that.I stayed at mount algo shelter that night in my tent.The next morning I left the trail and went to some outfitters and bought some new gear,,,including a compass.Went back and proceeded to do the section from falls village to salisbury,,,,what a difference,I had about 15 less pounds in my new pack that actually fit me(needed a medium,I had a large that I could not pull tight to my body).I also had some quick dry clothing that made things much more comfortable.I also picked every thru hikers brain that came through my trail magic set up and some shuttling I did in new hampshire. The forum here has been an invaluable tool and while I was reading a post yesterday about people bragging about mileage and being the fastest and the best,I realized,some of these guys should be bragging,,they are very experienced and know quite a bit,,,,,,so thanks all from a green horn and I hope to see some of you on the trail.If anyone wants to throw in some tips about my hike from harpers ferry,,,please feel free,your advice is most welcome

ekeverette
09-17-2015, 12:45
I think you may have written to much.....

paule
09-17-2015, 12:51
Guess I am a green horn in more than one are,,,,sorry....

George
09-17-2015, 13:28
if you have a month leave the car, train to HF - finish at Pawling NY for any easy train ride to NYC - train/fly/bus home

better yet start in NY and finish in HF with a train ride home

George
09-17-2015, 13:43
better yet start in NY and finish in HF with a train ride home

fly to La Guardia - city bus to metro north line 125 st station - train to Appalachian trail station (sat/ sun mornings) drops you right on the trail

hikernutcasey
09-17-2015, 13:46
if you have a month leave the car, train to HF - finish at Pawling NY for any easy train ride to NYC - train/fly/bus home

better yet start in NY and finish in HF with a train ride homeI agree. With that much time you could get a lot of the trail under your belt. No need to retrace your steps, just hire a shuttle or take a train if you are near a town like George said.

ekeverette
09-17-2015, 17:00
No biggy about writing to much..... just messing with ya. These folks will get you straight. Have fun out there.

paule
09-17-2015, 22:03
You guys are great,,,thanks for the input