PDA

View Full Version : Locating Health Food/Organic Produce near AT

Smile
11-30-2005, 10:14
I've been doing some research online. I have list of Veg. restaurants through each state....but not near the trail. Really want to locate produce, preferably organic....most health food stores carry it, and there is more and more showing up in grocery stores. But I have been to those that carry absolute nothing organic in the produce section except for some lettuce.

Does anyone know of a resource that you can find this out...the only other alternative is to type in EVERY NAME of every town within 5 miles of the trail...through each state to search this....very time consuming, but perhaps the only way.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Lone Wolf
11-30-2005, 10:17
Food City in Damascus carries certified organic fresh and frozen produce. Good selection too.

weary
11-30-2005, 10:36
I've been doing some research online. I have list of Veg. restaurants through each state....but not near the trail. Really want to locate produce, preferably organic....most health food stores carry it, and there is more and more showing up in grocery stores. But I have been to those that carry absolute nothing organic in the produce section except for some lettuce.
Does anyone know of a resource that you can find this out...the only other alternative is to type in EVERY NAME of every town within 5 miles of the trail...through each state to search this....very time consuming, but perhaps the only way.
Suggestions? Ideas?
Fresh vegetables make up a very tiny part of a thru hiker's pack, whether organic or not. I doubt if it's possible to change that. Why? Fresh vegetables are mostly water. And water is heavy and contains no calories -- and it takes calories to power a long distance hike.

In 1993 I made do with all you can eat salad bars whenever I arrived in town -- every 5 or 6 days. The salad choices weren't organic, but they seemed to work for me.

Weary

The Solemates
11-30-2005, 15:34
i predict you'll change your eating habits...or you may not have enough energy to hike.

Blue Jay
11-30-2005, 20:11
There used to be one in Virginia. You take a right on the last road before you climb the ridge that leads to The Priest from the south. Is that one still there? I know there are three good ones up here. One in Williamstown Mass. (a few miles left coming from the south). One in Bennington Vt. and the Coop in Hanover NH.

Skeemer
11-30-2005, 20:16
Are there any White Castles along the trail?

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2005, 20:51
The Outfitter at Hot Springs has a small but adequate supply of natural and organic foods.

The Food Co-Op in Hanover has perhaps the largest and best selection on the entire Trail.

Also, as organic and natural products become more popular, I think that you'll discover that all of the larger supermarkets you'll encounter (Food City, Food Lion, Kroger's, Price Chopper, Stop 'n Shop, IGA, etc.) will have more than you might think.

Of course, we're talking about larger markets in larger towns. In smaller places, you'll either have to travel well off the Trail or rely on packages from home.

neo
11-30-2005, 23:38
i predict you'll change your eating habits...or you may not have enough energy to hike.

you can say that again lol :cool: neo

Smile
12-01-2005, 00:15
Thanks for the suggestions - will make a note of these locations!

Uncle Silly
12-01-2005, 00:45
A few notes:

-- there are a few good options in Blacksburg, VA for organic markets. it's a bit of a hitch from Pearisburg (~25 or 30 miles), but doable.

-- the Kroger in Waynesboro will have a small organic / whole foods selection. it's not far from the YMCA campground.

-- Stroudsberg or East Stroudsberg, PA is a short hitch from Delaware Water Gap and probably has some options for you.

-- the main market in Salisbury, CT will have a good selection. Salisbury is something of a yuppie / resort town.

With that said, I think if you really want lots of organic foods on the trail, prepare maildrops ahead of time. Dehydrate your organic veggies or pre-prepared meals so they'll last and you won't be carrying the water weight. This is likely the only way you'll have consistent food quality.

Alligator
12-01-2005, 01:13
A few notes:

-- there are a few good options in Blacksburg, VA for organic markets. it's a bit of a hitch from Pearisburg (~25 or 30 miles), but doable.
A place called Eats would be the best bet, but you might need two hitches to get there. The supermarkets in Blacksburg are pretty well stocked, again, maybe two hitches. Anyone giving you a ride into Blacksburg will likely take you were you are going though.

Uncle Silly
12-01-2005, 03:57
There used to be one in Virginia. You take a right on the last road before you climb the ridge that leads to The Priest from the south. Is that one still there?

Are you talking about the place in Tyre, VA? About 3 miles from the AT crossing at the Tye River, just North of The Priest. I heard that place was gone this year. I thought Montebello was south of The Priest? I wouldn't think there's anything like that there, just the little market / camp store.

A place called Eats would be the best bet, but you might need two hitches to get there. The supermarkets in Blacksburg are pretty well stocked, again, maybe two hitches. Anyone giving you a ride into Blacksburg will likely take you were you are going though.

I think that's exactly the place I went. I took a day in Blacksburg to take my dog to a vet and walked past the ATC regional office and this little co-op place (EATS?). There was another local market down the street that seemed bigger but I didn't stop in there... I'd bet they had better produce though.

The EATS folks were really nice. I was buying tiger balm and bulk gorp ingredients and other resupply items. When they heard I was hiking, they gave me a whole slew of samples -- more tiger balm, vitamins, teas, some herbal bug repellent. What I couldn't use I passed to other hikers. That place is worth a stop, but you're right -- it's waaay off the trail.

sarbar
12-01-2005, 11:59
If you end up shopping in small stores, in small towns it never hurts to ask "where do you get your produce?". Many times, small places get proiduce relatively local-and, since getting labeled "organic" isn't cheap, it isn't labeled. You just have to ask the produce manager!
Personally, it wouldn't hurt to do a lot of at home prep and dehydrating. Then you are assured of a good supply.
And bravo to you! Eating healthy isn't always easy or convient-but it can be done :)

Smile
12-01-2005, 17:14
Scottsghost - yes, dehydrating would be best...think I will put out a notice on the classifieds, looking for a good Excalibur, used.

I have done large sections, and relied mainly on supermarkets and what they carried - but again, very limited from WV on up through S. PA - stuff like lettuce is a no-brainer - these are all great suggestions - keep em coming WBer's!

Patrick
12-09-2005, 17:47
The Stop & Shop in North Adams had a surprisingly nice health food section. I don't specifically remember the produce, but they had a ton of vegetarian/vegan stuff that I was really happy to find, so I'm guessing there was plenty of produce, too. Maybe a local can chime in.

I parked near there on a section hike this fall, but I think I remember it being a pretty short walk to/from the trail. It's very close to the Greylock Club.

The address is 876 State Rd (which is Rt 2, I think).

arla
06-11-2006, 07:09
Bennington, VT has a good health food store, Spice and Nice. We also have Isabella's, for restaurant organic food, but they are only open for breakfast and lunch. Farmer's Market is Tues and Sat, 11-1 on the river walkway. All of these are within walking distance, in town, if you come into Bennington from Route 9 in Woodford. And, there is Clear Brook Farm, which, during summer months has great organic fruit and vegies. Unfortunately, it is really not within walking distance. If you are coming to Bennington, you could stay in our barn, no charge, if we are here. We can also offer shuttle service if you call ahead or e-mail at [email protected]. If you're getting a mail drop in Bennington, the post office is half a block from our house.

Wonder
06-11-2006, 09:18
I know of 2 natural food stores in Haiwasse, Ga....but they both have a limited selection. The Ingles in town has many dehydrated veggie choices. I'm with the others on saying.....dehydrate. I have and my food sure tastes better then ramen every night! Check out the freezer bag cooking book......lots of good ideas

mweinstone
06-11-2006, 11:13
learn how to forage a few things. start with dandilion leaves and milkweed pods and sassafrass. use teaberry and ramps and spruce tea. non of these require much effort and all of them outdo even the best store. so make a choice. eat a hikers diet with the rest of us or commit to gathering. cause the only veggies your gonna find at trail head are far and few sometimes.i carry freash ginger and garlic. thats all.do your healthy eating at home. go crazy. live a little. really. its the best part of a thru hike. HYOH in any event.im the guy with more food than anyone .