PDA

View Full Version : Hiking South of SNP in hunting season

leonarjl
09-17-2015, 11:03
What are peoples thoughts about hiking south of SNP during hunting season. I have heard a lot of people say to only hike in SNP during this time. I'm trying to do the section between The Priest and the James River and would like to do it later this fall/winter. Any thoughts would be great. I have already hiked from Harpers Ferry to the Priest.

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2015, 11:11
Get blaze orange- pack cover, hat, don't be afraid to make noise lol

Is this hurning you speak of a new sport! :-?

leonarjl
09-17-2015, 11:18
yea that's what I get for trying to type fast :o

gre96
09-17-2015, 12:20
Should not be a problem . Stay on the trail , wear some blaze orange and have fun .

Pastor Bryon
09-17-2015, 18:21
+1 to all of the above posters. That's my back yard and I've hiked it regularly during hunting season with no troubles. Keep blaze orange on at all times, stay on the trail, and you'll be fine.

TwoSpirits
09-17-2015, 18:54
I've recently been looking for a blaze orange pack cover, but oddly no luck. Guess I haven't been looking in the right places. Can anyone advise where to find one?

Sent from...wait, where am I?

theoilman
09-17-2015, 20:10
I've recently been looking for a blaze orange pack cover, but oddly no luck. Guess I haven't been looking in the right places. Can anyone advise where to find one?

I use a blaze orange mesh vest over my pack (weighs nearly nothing), plus my blaze orange cap.
Even in areas where there is not supposed to be hunting, I wear orange, any time in the fall. Too many hunters don't obey the where and when season rules.

TwoSpirits
09-17-2015, 20:15
Vest over the pack is a great idea...thanks!

Sarcasm the elf
09-17-2015, 20:16

jacks r better sells them. I haven't used one personally, but I've heard good things about their stuff.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/jeffs-gear-hammockpack-cover/

TwoSpirits
09-17-2015, 20:19
Interesting...thanks for the link. I want to take a look at that.

Pastor Bryon
09-18-2015, 08:10
I use a vest I got from a friend with the local rescue squad. Bright, blaze orange and super light. It is what they wear when handling a traffic incident. Ask around if you have any friends with Fire/EMS or the DOT.