PDA

View Full Version : pack rain cover

Arden
09-17-2015, 12:06
Hi;
I have an Osprey Atmos AG 65 pack. I want to purchase the rain cover for the pack, but I'm thinking - what good will the rain cover do if I have stuff lashed to the back of the pack?
From the looks of it, the rain cover will fit only the pack - not any gear that is lashed to the back.

Any ideas?

Arden

RangerZ
09-17-2015, 12:19
Asked myself the same question for my Atmos 65. REI answer was get a 80 liter rain cover. Trash compactor bag inside back pack is still working.

bigcranky
09-17-2015, 13:04
Yeah, a good rain cover will be large enough to cover any gear in the pockets, etc. But if you are carrying a big tent, huge rolled up sleeping pad, etc., strapped to the outside, a rain cover won't help much (but then it's maybe even more necessary).

George
09-17-2015, 13:14
packa:

http://www.thepacka.com

also keeps the straps, back pad etc dry

yecart
09-17-2015, 13:27
I intend to use a second Trash Compactor liner as a cover. It's definitely large enough to cover my pack and it's several ounces lighter than an "official" cover.

Another Kevin
09-17-2015, 13:34
I intend to use a second Trash Compactor liner as a cover. It's definitely large enough to cover my pack and it's several ounces lighter than an "official" cover.

Where I hike, that bag would be trail confetti in a matter of hours.

Casey & Gina
09-17-2015, 13:41
Smaller lashed items will fit okay. The only larger thing that I strap to the outside are our closed-cell sleeping pads. As they are inherently waterproof, I use some accessory straps (http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=20+mm+Accessory+Straps) to tie these to the outside of the rain cover. I also use a pack liner (http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil%26reg%3B+Pack+Liner) and dry sacks inside my pack as additional layers of protection.

Gambit McCrae
09-17-2015, 14:05
I use a roll top dry bag inside my pack. I put my food in a separate roll top bag and stack on top of larger dry bag. My Pack is a ULA Circuit which is a roll top design that has had a waterproofing layer added to the outside. I then use a syl-nylon sea to summit pack cover for any pocket items. Only things I struggle with are: Front belt pockets are not waterproof zippers(quite frustrating), and that I dislike putting damp clothes in my pack, dislike hanging much of anything to outside of my pack either. I have gotten so that I stuff wet things in front mesh pocket, and have a small roll top 1liter bag for electronics

plexusbritt
09-17-2015, 15:16
Easy-use a poncho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arden
09-17-2015, 16:43
Asked myself the same question for my Atmos 65. REI answer was get a 80 liter rain cover. Trash compactor bag inside back pack is still working.
I was thinking about the XL rain cover as well, but unsure of whether or not I would be able to pull it tight enough in front to keep it on the pack.
I'll have to see what configuration I end up with once everything's packed in and out. Another choice would be to forget the rain cover and go your way - trash compactor bag inside. Pack should dry out pretty well once it stops raining and I can hang it to dry.

nsherry61
09-17-2015, 22:56
+1 for a poncho. Pack cover (that actually works), rain gear, ground cloth, tarp shelter all in one. Think of the weight savings!

Venchka
09-17-2015, 23:11
+1 for a poncho. Pack cover (that actually works), rain gear, ground cloth, tarp shelter all in one. Think of the weight savings!

Water collecting. Shade as needed. The list goes on.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

BirdBrain
09-18-2015, 00:14
packa:

http://www.thepacka.com

also keeps the straps, back pad etc dry

Beat me to it. The Packa is the answer... to this question and to the question of what to use as a rain coat.

Elder
09-18-2015, 00:23
www.etowahoutfitters.com
Built by a hiker, designed to fit over it all.
Available in grey, green, blue and bright orange.

daddytwosticks
09-18-2015, 07:10
Love my Packa so far. Used it twice for heavy rain showers. Works great. :)

Arden
09-18-2015, 10:12
Funny, last night while I was going to sleep, I had the same idea you guys have come up with - a poncho. I guess I need to get the XL or XXL to fit over myself + pack. I do have a few of the L or XL sizes around that I can try out for fit.

BirdBrain
09-18-2015, 10:22
Funny, last night while I was going to sleep, I had the same idea you guys have come up with - a poncho. I guess I need to get the XL or XXL to fit over myself + pack. I do have a few of the L or XL sizes around that I can try out for fit.

Be advised, a poncho and a Packa are entirely different animals.

I am certain it has been upload many times. However, check out this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6Belr3mrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6Belr3mrA

Arden
09-18-2015, 11:00
I like the description of the Packa. I would suppose that I would need an Large-X size to cover me and the 60L pack with gear lashed to the back. Better too large than too small in this case. In cold weather, I would be wearing this over my fleece and Gore-Tex shell.
Only thing that holds me back from ordering one today is the $150 price tag. A simple poncho with a pack cover attached - such as the Red Ledge Storm Backpacker poncho for $29 would probably do the job for me, since I don't need the poncho to keep me warm - just dry.

BirdBrain
09-18-2015, 11:13
I like the description of the Packa. I would suppose that I would need an Large-X size to cover me and the 60L pack with gear lashed to the back. Better too large than too small in this case. In cold weather, I would be wearing this over my fleece and Gore-Tex shell.
Only thing that holds me back from ordering one today is the $150 price tag. A simple poncho with a pack cover attached - such as the Red Ledge Storm Backpacker poncho for $29 would probably do the job for me, since I don't need the poncho to keep me warm - just dry.

You should get more input before you go the poncho route. I do not think you will be happy with it. I do not have first hand experience with one. I dismissed that idea because of what I read about them. One note on the Packa and I will stop trumpeting it. Size the Packa to you, not the pack. If the pack is too large, get the x version of the Packa. As an example, I have the Medium version for my Aether 60. If I needed a larger version, I would have ordered the MediumX. Regardless of my feelings about the Packa, you should think long and hard before trying the poncho method. Have you ever seen a really heavy women in a dress. Now think what that would look like in the wind and rain. Draping a tent over you and you pack is not optimum. It is better to have gear that fits you and your pack, not just cover things.

Okay. I have opined enough. I am not the one buying it or wearing it. Good luck in your decisions.

Arden
09-18-2015, 11:34
You should get more input before you go the poncho route. I do not think you will be happy with it. I do not have first hand experience with one. I dismissed that idea because of what I read about them. One note on the Packa and I will stop trumpeting it. Size the Packa to you, not the pack. If the pack is too large, get the x version of the Packa. As an example, I have the Medium version for my Aether 60. If I needed a larger version, I would have ordered the MediumX. Regardless of my feelings about the Packa, you should think long and hard before trying the poncho method. Have you ever seen a really heavy women in a dress. Now think what that would look like in the wind and rain. Draping a tent over you and you pack is not optimum. It is better to have gear that fits you and your pack, not just cover things.

Okay. I have opined enough. I am not the one buying it or wearing it. Good luck in your decisions.
You have a point. The Packa would do much better than a simple poncho. My problem is that I am most likely going to have gear lashed to the outside of my pack. Do you think that the X version would cover the extra girth of the pack?
I have no trouble with sizing for myself. I am a large. I am not a big man, but I have long arms, and would be wearing it over fleece and a Gore-Tex shell.
If I can just buy the Osprey rain cover one size larger than recommended for my Atmos 65, it might fit over the pack with external gear. I guess I really need to walk into my local store with my full pack and everything strapped to it, and try it myself.

BirdBrain
09-18-2015, 11:47
You have a point. The Packa would do much better than a simple poncho. My problem is that I am most likely going to have gear lashed to the outside of my pack. Do you think that the X version would cover the extra girth of the pack?
I have no trouble with sizing for myself. I am a large. I am not a big man, but I have long arms, and would be wearing it over fleece and a Gore-Tex shell.
If I can just buy the Osprey rain cover one size larger than recommended for my Atmos 65, it might fit over the pack with external gear. I guess I really need to walk into my local store with my full pack and everything strapped to it, and try it myself.

Contact this guy. He is the guy you should ask.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/632-Cedar-Tree

http://www.thepacka.com/contact-us.html

Great guy. He will give you straight forward useful information.

Casey & Gina
09-18-2015, 12:48
I cannot speak for Osprey products, but I have the largest pack cover that Deuter offers, which will fit 45L-90L packs. I have a 65+10 pack, and when I fully use the height extension to get 75 liters, the rain cover will happily cover the additional height. However it will NOT accommodate bulky lashed items, as the width of the fabric between the drawstring on one side of the pack and the other is fixed to an expectation of fitting around a pack without any external items of notable size.

The Packa looks great in theory, but as you say it probably won't work out well with extra stuff lashed on the outside. In my case I have TWO closed cell pads strapped on. As I don't care if they get a little wet I can strap them onto the outside of a regular pack cover using some standalone accessory straps - I have no idea how I could get away with carrying them with a Packa unless I pack them inside the pack. Sometimes that is an option as my pack is large enough if I don't have too much food - other times right after a resupply this could be an issue. Still, it looks like something that could be custom-fitted to accommodate extra things pretty easily by either the guy making them or anyone with a bit of extra fabric and sewing/seam-sealing skill.

I can also envision a model which allows for use with a kid carrier, replacing the need for it's own cover, which would have an open window at the top front, but enough waterproof fabric to stop water runoff from pouring into the carrier. I think the Packa is a great design and has potential, might just experiment with some old sheets and see if I can't come up with a custom design I like on my own...

I agree that ponchos don't seem ideal for windy conditions. I suppose it comes down to the conditions you want to be able to hike through without stopping and waiting it out.

For us, the current solution to keeping most rain off the straps and side of the pack against our backs are trekking umbrellas, which also enables us to usually not need the hood on the rain jackets and depending on wind and rain intensity, we can have the jacket's main zipper entirely open for maximum ventilation. A couple shock cords with cord locks can be used for handsfree use of the umbrella keeping both hands able to use trekking poles, unless there is strong wind to combat.

nsherry61
09-19-2015, 10:43
You have a point. The Packa would do much better than a simple poncho. . .
A point of full disclosure: I have never used or owned a Packa.

The Packa might do better than a poncho in some situations for some things. If I had one, I might use it. It's a way cool idea.

BUT, I use my poncho as my shelter AND my rain gear most of the three non-winter seasons. I use my poncho for day-hiking rain gear because I prefer the ventilation and coverage to any of my other raingear with sleaves. I don't overheat in my poncho. The Packa will be warmer than a poncho since it has sleeves and otherwise a tighter fit around one's body, unless the poncho is tied down. In wind, a poncho does need a string, rope, or belt placed around it to hold it in place, but once belted, ponchos work very well in all the the most extreme winds. Finally, one of the things I really like about a poncho is that, in rain, it is a tent over your body and your gear when you stop to eat or look at a map or check your cell phone or get in your pack or whatever. You just tuck your head down through the neck hole and your hands and everything you are doing are right there sheltered and out of the rain.

Down side of poncho in my view: wet lower arms and lower legs if you care. The Packa does have sleeves that would protect your arms, but less leg protection.
Down side of raingear with sleeves: Too warm for me most of the year when hiking, more expensive than a simple poncho, everything you do with your hands is outside in the rain instead of tucked under shelter of a poncho, and doesn't make a very good ground cloth or sleeping shelter.

Bottom line. Many systems can be made to work well, and we all have our own aesthetics and priorities even in our functional gear. HYOH and all that.

Whatever you do, have fun figuring out what you like and then doing it lots and lots.

nsherry61
09-19-2015, 10:51
Oops, In my above post I meant to say a poncho works well in all BUT the most extreme winds, NOT all the the most extreme winds.

BirdBrain
09-19-2015, 16:30
A point of full disclosure: I have never used or owned a Packa.

The Packa might do better than a poncho in some situations for some things. If I had one, I might use it. It's a way cool idea.

BUT, I use my poncho as my shelter AND my rain gear most of the three non-winter seasons. I use my poncho for day-hiking rain gear because I prefer the ventilation and coverage to any of my other raingear with sleaves. I don't overheat in my poncho. The Packa will be warmer than a poncho since it has sleeves and otherwise a tighter fit around one's body, unless the poncho is tied down. In wind, a poncho does need a string, rope, or belt placed around it to hold it in place, but once belted, ponchos work very well in all the the most extreme winds. Finally, one of the things I really like about a poncho is that, in rain, it is a tent over your body and your gear when you stop to eat or look at a map or check your cell phone or get in your pack or whatever. You just tuck your head down through the neck hole and your hands and everything you are doing are right there sheltered and out of the rain.

Down side of poncho in my view: wet lower arms and lower legs if you care. The Packa does have sleeves that would protect your arms, but less leg protection.
Down side of raingear with sleeves: Too warm for me most of the year when hiking, more expensive than a simple poncho, everything you do with your hands is outside in the rain instead of tucked under shelter of a poncho, and doesn't make a very good ground cloth or sleeping shelter.

Bottom line. Many systems can be made to work well, and we all have our own aesthetics and priorities even in our functional gear. HYOH and all that.

Whatever you do, have fun figuring out what you like and then doing it lots and lots.

Sounds like you are a nice system with a lot of thought put into it. That is the beauty of this stuff. There are many right ways. Preference decides which is right for each person.

lemon b
09-19-2015, 16:59
Sea to Summit used to make a pretty good pack cover for the Atmos 65. However like any pack cover after days of rain my experience is to store items like my bag & extra cloths in a gallon zip lock.

Arden
09-20-2015, 10:59
In light of the fact that I am trying to keep costs down, and that my upcoming trip will be during Oct and/or Nov, I don't expect to get too warm in any raingear I choose. I will be wearing the Gore-Tex shell over whatever layers are appropriate. I'll check out the ponchos in Campmor when I get time to visit the store. I should be able to attach drawstrings or belts to the poncho to keep it from flapping. I don't plan any trekking in severe winds. I would either stay in my tent, or find a cheap motel to wait out the worst weather.

nsherry61
09-20-2015, 15:06
. . . my upcoming trip will be during Oct and/or Nov, I don't expect to get too warm in any raingear I choose. I will be wearing the Gore-Tex shell over whatever layers are appropriate. . .

Personally, I don't care if it's literally freezing out. If I am moving, and I'm wearing a Gor-Tex shell I'm overheating. I find that a mid-weight base layer and a light wind shell is all I can really hike or ski in most of the colder months of the year unless it's really cold (below 0*) or I'm moving really slowly, or I'm skiing a long decent, in which case I add some insulation, not a heavier shell. I have a closet full of Gor-Tex that I rarely use, because, it is redundant and extra weight if I already have my poncho as raingear.

For what it's worth, a rain jacket and pants are much better than a poncho when digging snow caves or climbing mountains. Other than those things, I like flapping in the breeze sorta speak.

Rmcpeak
09-20-2015, 16:08
ditto on packa... E-mail the guy who makes it, he'll tell you if it'll fit. Mine has considerable room for pack externals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vegan Packer
09-20-2015, 19:55
I like that Packa concept. Really neat, but then I started thinking about it.

The guy in the video deploys it, and it covers the harness, which is great, but he isn't carrying anything on his front. What happens if you are carrying water bottles that mount on your shoulder straps, and things like that? Is there enough room for these to be inside?

BirdBrain
09-20-2015, 20:04
I like that Packa concept. Really neat, but then I started thinking about it.

The guy in the video deploys it, and it covers the harness, which is great, but he isn't carrying anything on his front. What happens if you are carrying water bottles that mount on your shoulder straps, and things like that? Is there enough room for these to be inside?

That is the way I carry my water bottles. Works fine for me. YMMV

daddytwosticks
09-21-2015, 07:23
That is the way I carry my water bottles. Works fine for me. YMMV

Same here. The Packa is very billowy like a poncho. Great ventilation. However, it secures snuggly at the sleeves around your wrists and at the waist. :)

BirdBrain
09-21-2015, 09:23
I will try to get off this rolling Packa commercials after a couple more comments. There are other viable options. I just prefer this one. The Packa has huge pit zips. Too huge in my opinion. I only unzip them to my armpit. If they are unzipped more than that, my pack gets wet. The pack remaining mostly dry is an advantage over the cover and jacket approach. Not unzipping the pit zips all the way retains that advantage. Beyond the fit and protection, I enjoy the versatility. It is just a pack cover before the rain. As it starts raining, it can be worn with just the hood deployed. If the rain increases, the rest comes out easily and can be worn. If the rain ebbs, you can pull the sleeves back off and keep going. There is no reason to take your pack on and off as weather changes. There is no reason to have to suffer through wearing a rain jacket because you fear it might start raining again and you don't want to take your pack off again and again. I met a few hikers going up to Smart Mountain. I demonstrated this as I passed them because they were taking their rain jackets off again. I showed a few at the cabin as well. One women said, "I am getting one of those things".

Starvin Marvin
09-22-2015, 07:32
I think The Packa will work for you. My wife and I have them and like their versatility. Like Birdbrain said, you can put the jacket portion on and off, without stopping. The Packa stays on your pack as a pack cover. You can also wear it in different configurations depending on how light or heavy the rain is. Huge pit zips for ventilation, that are also big enough to pull your arm inside, similar to the poncho description above. I carry my water bottles up front, and also sometimes my camera bag. There is enough room for all of it. I am 5-10, 195 lbs, and have the med size. I got the 20D version and changed out the shock cord for lighter cord and mine weighs 8 oz even. You will Not need or want to wear your Gore-Tex jacket under The Packa. Depending on your camping situation, you should be able to leave the Gore-Tex at home. Contact Tim (Cedar Tree) at The Packa. He will be able to answer all your questions about sizing. He is very easy to deal with, accommodating, and an all around nice guy.

Cedar Tree
09-22-2015, 07:59
He is very easy to deal with, accommodating, and an all around nice guy.

Thank you Starvin Marvin, that's me.

Also thanks to BirdBrain and others for the positive comments.

All 10d Packas are currently on sale at $35 off.

CT