PDA

View Full Version : SOBO hiker being sought for theft of another hikers wallet

Ladytrekker
09-17-2015, 17:31
Posting this for someone on Appalachian Trail Hikers with her permission.
Ugh!! Met an a-hole hiker yesterday. He's headed SOBO and just getting ready to enter the Shenandoahs.
I was in a trailhead parking lot when a guy was dropped off by a taxi. Moments later another hiker came from the trail into the parking lot where he stopped and picked up a wallet. He turned and saw me and asked if it was mine. I said no but let him know about the hiker who had just gotten out of the taxi. (That guy was setting up camp just out of sight of the parking area). Anyway the guy with the found wallet went to ask the other hiker if it was his. He never got too close and kind of flashed
the wallet quickly stating that it was empty. Then came back and told me that it wasn't that hikers wallet.
I took him to the local
Exxon so he could get a soda and cigarettes and according to him, turn in the wallet. He stated that was his intention and after coming out of the store, stated that he had done that.
I take him back to the lot where the other hiker is waiting and pacing. As soon as we stop he approached and says it was his wallet and he'd dropped it getting out of the taxi.
Hiker who found it tells him he turned it into Exxon. Guy who lost it asks me if I can please run him down to claim it...
Well, as you've probably figured out by now, the guy that found the wallet did not actually turn it into the Exxon gas station. The wallet was not empty. It had about $150 and debit card and drivers license.
Police are now involved and were able to look at the tape from the store to determine that the guy did not turn in the wallet as he stated and to get a picture of him. So, guy who lost his wallet is now broke and has no ID or debit cards at all. He's going to have to get off the trail. Guy who stole his wallet, is hightailing it southbound very quickly according to 2 day hikers going NOBO that passed him.
He told me that he had tried to do a through hike last year and stopped and was trying it again this year. He claimed that his trail name last year was Love-Hate.
Just a heads up. I may be gullible but he talked a good game about honesty and doing the right thing, being on the trail to get away from the harshness of people and a hectic world... Blah blah blah.. I'm beyond pissed that I fell for it and that I offered him trail magic.
I hope Karma is reading this.
Description - my son thinks he said his name was Joe. He was about a white guy about 5'7 and fairly lean. Dark brown/black hair. Below the collar but not long. No facial hair other than maybe a little scruff. Definitely not a hiker beard type but I think he said he started in Harpers Ferry. Not certain. Heavy full sized pack with a bedroll. I think his pack was black and he had a yellow bag attached near the bottom. He said he was out of fuel and would be going into Front Royal or Luray to the Outfitters.

MuddyWaters
09-17-2015, 18:24
I didnt know gas stations were repositories for lost wallets.

You have no obligation to turn a found wallet in to a gas station, or any other business. If it had ID, i would not. I would try to contact owner directly. Slim chance of it finding owner if pass it off to others.

Ladytrekker
09-17-2015, 18:29
I think she was thinking it was the closet business to that trail and the owner might stop by there, I don't know but the fact is a lowlife stole from someone and now that person had to get off trail. Do not know if the one who was stole from was just a section hiker or another thru. People need to,keep,an eye on their packs I think this guy seems to,have no conscience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdc5294
09-18-2015, 12:10
I had stuff stolen on the AT, it happens. Honestly in that situation I think I'd look at an Exxon as a viable option too. That much into a long hike an Exxon would look like an oasis to me, I'd think almost every hiker would at least make a stop there. And if I'd lost a wallet I would probably ask the cashier if anyone had turned one in. Granted that's a lot of almosts and probablys but with something like a lost wallet in the woods that's as good as you'll get.

MuddyWaters
09-18-2015, 12:42
I don't know if the guy stole the wallet or not. the only evidence we have is that he told somebody he turned it in and he did that's not necessarily proof of stealing. apparently he even offered it to the original owner and was turned down. like I said i would carry it and try and contact the owner through his ID if it had ID. leaving it with anyone but the police would be just throwing it away in many cases.

A hiker had to get off trail because they were careless. Thats not someone that found a wallets fault.

BirdBrain
09-18-2015, 12:52
I don't know if the guy stole the wallet or not. the only evidence we have is that he told somebody he turned it in and he did that's not necessarily proof of stealing. apparently he even offered it to the original owner and was turned down. like I said i would carry it and try and contact the owner through his ID if it had ID. leaving it with anyone but the police would be just throwing it away in many cases.

A hiker had to get off trail because they were careless. Thats not someone that found a wallets fault.

Too many unknowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGv6Rgp72k

SkeeterPee
09-18-2015, 12:59
That almost sounds like an attempted scam on the observer. Usually two do that and then hit up the observer for money in someway. like the guy who found the wallet finds a number and asks the person to calls the number and then is offered a reward, but the finder does not want to stay and collect, but laments they could really use the reward money. so the suggest splitting the reward and the observer gives some money to them and holds the wallet to collect, but no one comes back pick up the wallet since it was all a con.

Ladytrekker
09-18-2015, 13:02
Don't know just posted it for her, she felt really bad for the guy who lost his wallet and the. Mad cause she helped the guy she felt stole it. She said the cops looked at the footage at gas station and have a pic of him

Dogwood
09-18-2015, 14:12
I've found my share of wallets, purses, IPhones, electronics, etc. For example, several months ago found a purse in a shopping cart in front of a Safeway grocery store in Hawaii. When I opened it to look at the I.D. it had two fat rolls of large denomination cash laying loosely on top in it, checkbook, items with the ladies' signature, credit cards, SS card, multiple high end credit cards, ATM cards, etc. Turning them in to police or immediately contacting the owner with the I.D. in the wallet is usually the best option for all involved. Simply and innocently having another person's personal items(wallet, purse, electronics, etc) in your possession raises lots of suspicious skepticism and investigation. Don't need it when trying to do good. In this incidence I was eating outside the grocey store sitting at a table. When I found the purse, after looking at the I.D. so I could possibly visually locate the person and confirm that it was her purse within the grocery store, I went to the store's Customer Service desk telling them I had found a purse, was sitting outside, and after leaving, if it wasn't claimed, was going to turn it into Kona police. Additionally, I gave the Customer Service desk a cell ph # and email contacts for myself. I covered my butt.

Some assumptions being made Lady trekker. I'd like to hear the guy's story who found the wallet before making theft or A-Hole accusations. Seems like I have some stories that aren't jiving but that's all so far. I wasn't there though so you know better. Thanks for the head's up.

Nooga
09-18-2015, 16:03
Loosing your ID on the trail is a train wreck. Even if you have cash, you can't rent motel rooms, receive packages at the PO (to get a replacement ID), buy transportation tickets (bus, train, etc.).

Ladytrekker
09-18-2015, 16:04
I did not write this just copied and pasted

gunther11
09-20-2015, 04:34
I would have placed the found wallet with Exxon AND call the police.

Captain Bluebird
09-20-2015, 11:16
How 'bout just calling the local police department and giving it to them along with a description of place where it was found? I am not sure if I would even open the wallet...

TJ aka Teej
09-20-2015, 11:47
Allegedly is a word.

Praha4
09-20-2015, 12:17
wow, I think how easily that guy who lost his wallet could have been me. I use a small cuben fiber pouch for a wallet on my section hikes, always keep it stored in the "inside" pocket under the backpack lid. Only take it out when in town, or that situation where you are using a taxi or shuttle ride to/from a trailhead. If the guy was using a regular "town" leather wallet, those are too big and easy to fall out of your pocket, and why I recommend to hikers to use a ziplock baggie or trail "wallet" on hikes.

if I found a wallet on the trail, and could not identify the owner quickly, think i would carry it to the next town or road xing and turn it in to law enforcement, I don't think I would trust just any gas station clerk. But can't pass judgement on anyone in that situation, hard to know what actually happened.

MuddyWaters
09-20-2015, 12:23
wow, I think how easily that guy who lost his wallet could have been/ m:e. I use a small cuben fiber pouch for a wallet on my section hikes, always keep it stored in the "inside" pocket under the backpack lid. Only take it out when in town, or that situation where you are using a taxi or shuttle ride to/from a trailhead. If the guy was using a regular "town" leather wallet, those are too big and easy to fall out of your pocket, and why I recommend to hikers to use a ziplock baggie or trail "wallet" on hikes.

if I found a wallet on the trail, and could not identify the owner quickly, think i would carry it to the next town or road xing and turn it in to law enforcement, I don't think I would trust just any gas station clerk. But can't pass judgement on anyone in that situation, hard to know what actually happened.

Precisely.
And if someone used the guise of turning it in at gas station to yogi a ride for smokes, they would of course lie to the ride and say they turned it in. Things arent always what they appear, and not enough info to persecute anyone....yet

Bronk
09-20-2015, 13:48
I have a nylon wallet that both zips and folds over and velcros that hangs around my neck when I'm hiking...never gonna lose anything that way. I found a cell phone on the side of the road at the road crossing just before Big Bald...when I got to Erwin I turned it in at the gas station...seemed logical to me as it was a Verizon phone and they sold Verizon phones there, though I don't know if I would have done that with a wallet. Also met another hiker that lost his wallet...whoever found it kept the cash and mailed the ID, credit cards and photos that were in it to the guy's address listed on his ID...guess they were too cheap to mail the wallet, so he just got the contents minus the cash. I've handled hundreds of lost wallets and purses where I work and I can tell you that more than 90% of the time when someone turns in a wallet there is no cash in it...don't know if its because nobody carries cash anymore or people are taking the money.

rocketsocks
09-20-2015, 14:17
Too many unknowns.

oh I gotta see that, looks historical. Thanks for posting.

rocketsocks
09-20-2015, 14:20
Filling in some of the holes in the story with the next common since type questions, seems pretty cut and dry and reasonable to me that the hiker took the wallet, I'm sure the cops will determine the same thing after sussing it all out.

Starchild
09-20-2015, 14:23
I have a nylon wallet that both zips and folds over and velcros that hangs around my neck when I'm hiking...never gonna lose anything that way. I found a cell phone on the side of the road at the road crossing just before Big Bald...when I got to Erwin I turned it in at the gas station...seemed logical to me as it was a Verizon phone and they sold Verizon phones there, though I don't know if I would have done that with a wallet. Also met another hiker that lost his wallet...whoever found it kept the cash and mailed the ID, credit cards and photos that were in it to the guy's address listed on his ID...guess they were too cheap to mail the wallet, so he just got the contents minus the cash. I've handled hundreds of lost wallets and purses where I work and I can tell you that more than 90% of the time when someone turns in a wallet there is no cash in it...don't know if its because nobody carries cash anymore or people are taking the money.

I've heard from some people that this is some sort of convention, what one is expected to do. Never understood it, but many people feel that taking the money while returning the contents, and hopefully the wallet also, is the right thing to do, the thing that makes angels smile and gets you into heaven as a good person.

Bronk
09-21-2015, 12:05
My theory on the wallets and purses that come into lost and found is that the person turning it in is seldom the first person to find it. And I base that on talking to the people who turn them in. A lot of the time they are finding them on the side of the road or in some such other manner that suggests someone else found it first and then literally threw it away...the first finder likely liberating the wallet or purse of the cash or other valuables and then dumping it for someone else to find who eventually turns it in.