PDA

View Full Version : Into the Wild

Oppenheimer
09-17-2015, 19:04
Hey there, I'm new to this but looking into the PCT seriously to hike in the next year or next two years. How do people do these kinds of things in the sense of a job? I'm assuming the type where you can come and go as you please perhaps? Or saving enough then career break for a bit. I'm just unsure how one goes about just packing up and heading into the wild.

Leanthree
09-17-2015, 19:38
Hey there, I'm new to this but looking into the PCT seriously to hike in the next year or next two years. How do people do these kinds of things in the sense of a job? I'm assuming the type where you can come and go as you please perhaps? Or saving enough then career break for a bit. I'm just unsure how one goes about just packing up and heading into the wild.

I've been dreaming of the PCT for years now and saving/investing my money accordingly. I am lucky enough to have a good paying job and even luckier to not have a lot of worldly desires, so I've been able to save 50% of my take home income for the past 3 years by avoiding lifestyle creep and living frugally*. It will be a career break as you call it. I like to call it a sebbatical to family and freinds. This has worked for me and may work for you. There are other ways as well.

Financially, and it isn't for everyone, I'd recommend at least entertaining the ideas on the Mr. Money Moustache website and forum. The Trail Show podcasters (all triple crowners) have mentioned that website for financial advice for the distance hiking types so it isn't just from me. Generally it is about realizing how much time you are exchanging for all the crap you buy that you don't need and how you could spend less and therefor work fewer years of your life.

Demographically, I am 29 and recently married. The wife is excited to hike too. A last hurrah before kids and responsibilities and rooting somewhere.

*Bike to work and everywhere else, cancel cable, cut drinking out in half (either frequency or quantity), limit meals out for social occasions only, learn to cook well, call gift truces with your friends/family, only buy a new piece of clothing when an old piece breaks in some way, find free entertainment opportunities (I play chess in the park), live in as small an apartment or house as possible as close to work as possible. Most importantly, pay off your credit card statement every month.

Feral Bill
09-17-2015, 21:10
I've been dreaming of the PCT for years now and saving/investing my money accordingly. I am lucky enough to have a good paying job and even luckier to not have a lot of worldly desires, so I've been able to save 50% of my take home income for the past 3 years by avoiding lifestyle creep and living frugally*. It will be a career break as you call it. I like to call it a sebbatical to family and freinds. This has worked for me and may work for you. There are other ways as well.

Financially, and it isn't for everyone, I'd recommend at least entertaining the ideas on the Mr. Money Moustache website and forum. The Trail Show podcasters (all triple crowners) have mentioned that website for financial advice for the distance hiking types so it isn't just from me. Generally it is about realizing how much time you are exchanging for all the crap you buy that you don't need and how you could spend less and therefor work fewer years of your life.

Demographically, I am 29 and recently married. The wife is excited to hike too. A last hurrah before kids and responsibilities and rooting somewhere.

*Bike to work and everywhere else, cancel cable, cut drinking out in half (either frequency or quantity), limit meals out for social occasions only, learn to cook well, call gift truces with your friends/family, only buy a new piece of clothing when an old piece breaks in some way, find free entertainment opportunities (I play chess in the park), live in as small an apartment or house as possible as close to work as possible. Most importantly, pay off your credit card statement every month.

As my rather crazy brother says, "money comes and goes, time just goes"

MuddyWaters
09-17-2015, 21:47

Many take break between college and work, or are early 20s and save up then quit work or take leave of absence. After that the next big group is early retired, 55 ish. Careers and families do get in way.

Malto
09-17-2015, 22:13
I took a leave of absence from a very good career. It worked out so well that I'm tempted to try a repeat for the CDT.

fiddlehead
09-17-2015, 22:59
No bills is the key.

Work will always be there,
Your knees may not be.

Mags
09-18-2015, 00:17
A user complained, privately, this thread has nothing do with the AT. I politely disagree. While the OP mentioned the PCT, it is about how to afford long distance hikes aka the AT. :) "How do people do these kinds of things in the sense of a job? "

Carry on and know it applies to the AT or any long trail. :)

Oppenheimer
09-18-2015, 06:30
A user complained, privately, this thread has nothing do with the AT. I politely disagree. While the OP mentioned the PCT, it is about how to afford long distance hikes aka the AT. :) "How do people do these kinds of things in the sense of a job? "

Carry on and know it applies to the AT or any long trail. :)

Apologies if this is specifically for the AT and only the AT I thought it was more a collective thing between them all :P I want to participate in the hike just lacking funds and just left university makes it an issue ^^

Casey & Gina
09-18-2015, 07:26
There are always more jobs. One of the biggest benefits of doing something like this is that you will come away feeling empowered, truly realizing that every choice in life is just that - a choice, and past choices do not need to restrict future choices. I never went to college but have changed jobs and locations pretty often to move up; staying at one place too long always felt too restricting, and you can often end up making more money than you could hope for waiting around for a meager raise. There are exceptional workplaces though, which again not being tied down allows you to find. I am currently working for a great employer, but have been there too long - it is feeling very routine and not fun enough to justify the time I spend working (really, money is not that valuable, the happiest life is a simple one, money doesn't hurt but buying too many things and having stress sure does!).

So for me, I can fit things like this (will be my first thru hike attempt, but have had other adventures) in between other jobs. Personally, I am not happy with where I live either, so am waiting for my lease to end, selling/donating stuff I don't need, and will put the rest into storage for the duration of my hike. So then my hike is truly open-ended and I am not stressed by any schedule - I can simply walk a ton of miles and slowly contemplate what to do next in life without any influence of stress. You only live once (well, that you can remember at least), so enjoy it!

Casey & Gina
09-18-2015, 07:33
Apologies if this is specifically for the AT and only the AT I thought it was more a collective thing between them all :P I want to participate in the hike just lacking funds and just left university makes it an issue ^^

You need enough funds for appropriate gear. You can be frugal/sensible about it though. You can also be frugal while on the trail, not staying at motels or hostels, not eating at restaurants, buying simple/cheap foods to cook, etc. That said I think it wise to have a comfortable buffer in the bank, so you don't have to stress and have something to get started with after your hike. You could work for the next few months very frugally and save up adequate money for the hike!

Oppenheimer
09-18-2015, 07:42
You need enough funds for appropriate gear. You can be frugal/sensible about it though. You can also be frugal while on the trail, not staying at motels or hostels, not eating at restaurants, buying simple/cheap foods to cook, etc. That said I think it wise to have a comfortable buffer in the bank, so you don't have to stress and have something to get started with after your hike. You could work for the next few months very frugally and save up adequate money for the hike!

That's the plan anyway, I just wanting to sell my possessions and disappear into the wild at this point in time lol..

Oppenheimer
09-18-2015, 07:43
I'm* blasted mind, works faster than my hands..

bigcranky
09-18-2015, 07:58
Many (most?) people hiking long trails are at transition periods in their lives. Lots of young thru-hikers in their 20s, fresh out of school -- they don't have any major investment in a career yet, so six months for a hike is doable as long as they don't have big student loans or other debt. Then there are lots of older folks who've just retired, most of them spent a lifetime dreaming of the hike. There are some thru-hikers in their middle years, but it's tougher - career, family, mortgage, retirement savings, all the trappings of modern life conspire against dropping out for for six months or a year.

At the most basic level, you need the appropriate gear, six months free, and $5000. Lots of people have one or maybe two of those things, but getting all three at the same time is difficult. :)

garlic08
09-18-2015, 08:56
Ditto the advice about about Mr Money Mustache (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/) ("Financial freedom through badassity.") If there'd been such a thing as blogs when I was young and saving for early retirement, and if I were a talented writer, I could have written that. My wife and I saved aggressively, maybe even "badass-ly," through our short careers and were able to retire by age 40. Young and in shape, we started our hiking careers then.

A few who take career leaves for a hike report that the hike actually pays off--they get promotions and raises and career opportunities as a direct result of the hike. In my case, I was a volunteer firefighter at the time of my first thru hike, an aging lieutenant. My chief promoted me to captain when I got home--he said he saw "something different" in my demeanor, and I was the guy he wanted "standing in the driveway" during an incident. I also got a few very well-paid temporary contracts with my old engineering firm doing backcountry survey work because I had a proven ability to stay out in the field. You never know how your life will change because of a long hike. Heck, some even get married.

susiegear
09-18-2015, 09:06

Im quitting my job in Feb and hitting the AT in March. Im 38 but I have my kids off to college and their finances taken care of(thankfully they got scholarships) . My job is nothing special. The way i see it, I was looking for a job when I found this one. Life is way to short to just work it away. I found for me that personal gain is worth far more than financial gain. I feel like I will be the odd ball out there as far as age goes. It seems most are a bit younger or older.

Casey & Gina
09-18-2015, 12:54
Im quitting my job in Feb and hitting the AT in March. Im 38 but I have my kids off to college and their finances taken care of(thankfully they got scholarships) . My job is nothing special. The way i see it, I was looking for a job when I found this one. Life is way to short to just work it away. I found for me that personal gain is worth far more than financial gain. I feel like I will be the odd ball out there as far as age goes. It seems most are a bit younger or older.

I'm 35 and will turn 36 on the trail, so not too far off. :)

Mags
09-18-2015, 17:24
You never know how your life will change because of a long hike.

Moving to Colorado 15+ years ago was because of the Appalachian Trail. If it was not for the AT, I doubt I'd have the flexibility and desire to leave home.

Malto
09-18-2015, 18:49
Ditto the advice about about Mr Money Mustache (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/) ("Financial freedom through badassity.") If there'd been such a thing as blogs when I was young and saving for early retirement, and if I were a talented writer, I could have written that. My wife and I saved aggressively, maybe even "badass-ly," through our short careers and were able to retire by age 40. Young and in shape, we started our hiking careers then.

A few who take career leaves for a hike report that the hike actually pays off--they get promotions and raises and career opportunities as a direct result of the hike. In my case, I was a volunteer firefighter at the time of my first thru hike, an aging lieutenant. My chief promoted me to captain when I got home--he said he saw "something different" in my demeanor, and I was the guy he wanted "standing in the driveway" during an incident. I also got a few very well-paid temporary contracts with my old engineering firm doing backcountry survey work because I had a proven ability to stay out in the field. You never know how your life will change because of a long hike. Heck, some even get married.

i can honestly say that the PCT changed my life. I made the decision late in the hike that I needed a major change in my life. I ended up changing jobs six months later and this was the best career move I ever made. the hike gave me the wisdom to break out of my comfort zone.

Sasquatch!
09-18-2015, 21:58
For the PCT you need about $5,000 to hike and $2,000 for gear. Add a $2,000 buffer. Call it $10,000 total.

Spirit Walker
09-19-2015, 10:00
Every day you make choices on how to spend your time and money. I early developed a habit of frugality, largely because I had no choice. When I was working and making money, most of it went into savings. I worked minimum wage jobs, when I was young. I was 31 before I had enough money to quit my job and go for a hike. I did it again four years later. My next long hike was 7 years after that, followed by another the following year since we had the money and it is easier to head out when your stuff is already in storage. I married and we bought a house, but continued to live frugally. Most of our spare cash went for gas to go hiking. After 6 more years, we sold the house and headed out again. Do I go to the latest movies? Rarely. Do I have the latest electronics? Not at all. Do I have the most expensive gear? No way. I have what I need to be happy, because what makes me most happy is spending time outdoors. I don't miss the STUFF I would have bought if I hadn't chosen the lifestyle I chose. I would have missed a lot if I hadn't made the choices I did.

Miner
09-21-2015, 21:52
As someone who hiked the PCT at 39 and hopes to do the CDT soon in my mid-40's. My advice is to save up all the money you'll need ahead of time for your trip and some time afterwards as you rejoin the real world. Start saving now even if you don't know when you'll be hiking as you never know when a window of opportunity will open up. I find it's the small expenses you do all the time that ends up taking a large chunk of your pay check such as eating out at lunch all the time. And do you really need to go to Starbuck$ all the time or replace your cell phone every year. As someone who backpacks anyway, I always have the necessary gear ready. But if you don't, then you need to start doing some outings to learn what gear works out for you and what doesn't so you have it all figured out and already own it. Too many threads on this forum of people asking basic gear advice when they should have already figured that stuff out long before a few months ahead of a planned thru-hike and try to do it on the cheap. Nothing wrong with cheap, but sometimes by spending a bit more, the durability and comfort goes way up.

After you have gotten everything possible ready, then just wait. Wait for that perfect time when everything aligns. A bit easier for a student graduating and has no more commitments. But even after being in the working world, opportunities will come unless you allow yourself to get burried by commitments. Even then, it's still possible, but requires much more work to free yourself up and possibly haggle/con people for permission. When I did the PCT, I was laid off in early spring (perfect timing in my opinion) and was able to start walking in 6 weeks; but had already been thinking that might be the year so I was already ready to go and didn't really need to do any planning. I've been willing to quit a job , but only if it makes financial sense at the time. I was going to quit and hike the CDT this year, but got laid off last year at a bad time instead and was out of work much longer than I would have like so it just didn't make financial sense this year; also quitting a new job I hadn't been at very long after being out of work for awhile; just didn't think it look good on the resume with all those holes too close together. I'm getting things setup for 2017 though I'd be willing to wait another 2-3 years if necessary. Anymore than that, I'll make the time even if I have to force things. I know too many people in their 50's with blown knees and the like who couldn't do a thru-hike even if they wanted to. Doing shorter trails of 2-4 weeks duration is much easier to just get the required time off, so if you can't free yourself from all commitments for 4-6 months, consider section hiking over several years instead. For some, it makes more sense.

Oppenheimer
09-22-2015, 16:23
I definitely want to, I'm trying to find a job but the way I see it I just need it to pay for this. I currently have no other commitments in my life, myself and my girlfriend just broke up. I don't plan on dating anyone else for a while, I am in perfect condition to just uproot and disappear. Only problem is money and a potential partner, I'd rather know someone to go with on the hike than to meet a stranger and learn about them on trail. I'm sure many have done this but I'm sure we could all prefer hiking along side our wife, kids or best friends.

Oppenheimer
09-22-2015, 16:24
But finding someone of those three that are have the money, the means and the lack of commitments to just disappear is tough.. It may have to be a new best friend on the trail :)

razorshot
09-22-2015, 21:09
I don't think you would need to worry about hiking by yourself Oppenheimer as long as you start when most other thru hikers start. There will be many other hikers to form friendships with and hike with. If it is anything like when I hiked the AT then there is a real family feel/bond between thru-hikers. If you end up hiking the PCT next year hopefully I will see you out there.

Oppenheimer
09-23-2015, 17:07
I'm recently getting into hiking and want this as something to do end goal as it were, how much training is necessary? So I can be mentally and physically prepared. I need to start setting it up between people. I want to do it next year..

jj442434
09-25-2015, 18:44
I'm recently getting into hiking and want this as something to do end goal as it were, how much training is necessary? So I can be mentally and physically prepared. I need to start setting it up between people. I want to do it next year..

Some people build up and are doing 30 miles in a day pre-trip in order to hit the terminus in prime form. Others don't do much of anything beforehand, and plan to get in shape on the trail, considering that they'll be out there for 5 months (though a lack of water could dictate that you need to do some moderately big mileage days from day 0). As with most things, the majority of people are probably somewhere in the middle. Prepare to the level that you feel will give you the best time on the trail.

That being said, if you've never been backpacking before, you should probably try it out to see if you even like it. If you've only been on overnighters or weekend trips, consider trying a weeklong one if you can get away with it. You'll see if you want to spend 4-6 months of your life doing that, and as a bonus you'll get more comfortable with your gear and backpacking in general

garlic08
09-26-2015, 08:23
...(though a lack of water could dictate that you need to do some moderately big mileage days from day 0)....

This is an excellent point and a good thing to keep in mind for a NOBO PCT hike. I would remove the parentheses and put it in bold type. I saw some out-of-shape hikers really suffering in those first 20 miles from the border, not to mention a chopper rescue.

I think at least one 100-mile hike is a good preparation for a thru hike. You can look at a thru hike as a series of 100-mile hikes. If you can do it once, you can keep doing it, at least in your mind.

Miner
09-28-2015, 23:49
Don't mention a chopper rescue, it brings back bad memories of some of the people that hiked in my year, 2009. And the mistakes only continued north from there. That said, I hiked about 15 miles/day the first week and didn't find the water carrying burdensome; but it was a more normal rain year and not like the drought lasting a few years like recently. Hopefully things will be wetter this year in California as I've seen some springs dry out this spring that normally are reliable year round.