PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Johnny's in Erwin?

LuckyMan
09-18-2015, 09:00
I was planning to stay at uncle johnnys hostel on my long section hike but have met a few hikers advising me not to, saying it is a dump. Those who have stayed there - do you recommend it or not? Is there an inexpensive alternative in Erwin?

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2015, 09:13
I have stayed once at Uncle Johnny's. It was a dump. I got a single room cabin, and there were more spiders in my room then I have ever seen in a shelter. The mattress was so old and sunken in that national geographic magazines were used in between the mattress and box springs for support. You would have to be a real dirt bag hiker trash to be comfortable in that place. I was doing another section the following year and I was coming thru, needed a fuel canister. The outfitter door sign to knock on door H for assistance. I knocked and knocked but no answer, the door across from it opened(the room I had stayed in), and a hussy clad in panties and torn up t-shirt answered the door looking like she was straight out of Black snake moan. I used their heated Bathroom, cooked lunch on the porch and hit the trail up to the next shelter.

I also used Uncle J for a shuttle up to carvers gap one night, "Sarge" was a complete Dbag trying to get me to pay double after Johnny had already quoted me a price. He sounded like he had had a few cold ones before doing the shuttle and was reluctant to do it after Johnny had agreed to get me up the mountain.

Now that you have read my long version my short version is: good outfitter, don't stay :)

There is a hotel about 1-2 miles down the road that I believe is $80 a night, might be less. Also you can call "10-k" from whiteblaze and he could possibly have a room for rent to older quiet respectable folk :) lol

Tennessee Viking
09-18-2015, 09:18
I used to live in the nearby area. I saw no real problems with UJs. Johnny showed me around the place. And I would drop off hikers that I picked up at trailheads, and he was ok with me helping him shuttle hikers to the bus station if he was booked up.

I would say mostly UJ's doesn't take crap from rude hikers. I have heard the place kicking hikers for being rude, stealing, smoking pot and getting drunk and loud.

The only other inexpensive places are the rafting companies trail north along Jones Branch Road. Or camp by the river and just pay for UJ facitilites. Hikers will walk into town and share hotel rooms. Mountain Inn and Super 8.

Jeff
09-18-2015, 11:15
Great reviews from hikers this year about Cantarroso Farm in Erwin. Hiker friendly, small...accommodated maybe 8 to 10 hikers although they have plans to expand. Located on the Nolichucky River

http://www.cantarrosofarm.com

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2015, 11:33
Great reviews from hikers this year about Cantarroso Farm in Erwin. Hiker friendly, small...accommodated maybe 8 to 10 hikers although they have plans to expand. Located on the Nolichucky River

http://www.cantarrosofarm.com

Holy cow, Looked at their shuttle costing: Uncle johnny charged me $90 to carvers gap, Cantarroso Farm charges $25 WOW..

rocketsocks
09-18-2015, 11:34
Dumps are hostels too. :)

tiptoe
09-18-2015, 12:09
I sent a maildrop to Johnny's but didn't stay there. When I retrieved it, Sarge was close to rude to me and very suspicious of me as well. I had met Peg of Cantarosso while hiking and had changed my plans to stay at the farm. I was very happy with my decision and would recommend it to everyone. The owners are smart, friendly, and helpful to hikers, and the farm is peaceful and right by the Nolichucky River.

Deacon
09-18-2015, 12:41
I am a bit surprized by the negative comments about UJ's. I stayed there in June 2014, in the bunkhouse the first night, and in a cabin the second. Both the bunkhouse and my cabin were clean, and the entire facility was well kept up. Everyone was very friendly to me.

Dogwood
09-18-2015, 16:15
I used to live in the nearby area. I saw no real problems with UJs. Johnny showed me around the place. And I would drop off hikers that I picked up at trailheads, and he was ok with me helping him shuttle hikers to the bus station if he was booked up.

I would say mostly UJ's doesn't take crap from rude hikers. I have heard the place kicking hikers for being rude, stealing, smoking pot and getting drunk and loud.

The only other inexpensive places are the rafting companies trail north along Jones Branch Road. Or camp by the river and just pay for UJ facitilites. Hikers will walk into town and share hotel rooms. Mountain Inn and Super 8.

I've stayed there twice. Once many yrs ago in 06 in a private room and in 2012 in the bunk room. Was quite a nice modern furnished, overall clean, and maintained room. I did see a couple of cobwebs in a ceiling corner.

All this as Tennessee Viking states. I wasn't rude, didn't project a sense of entitlement, was not overly demanding, and didn't openly advertise illegal activity(pot use). I've never had issue with Uncle J. Matter of fact, I would say he has met me at least half way in treating me equally well as I have treated Uncle J personally and his biz.

IMO, it would be wise when seeking opinions on others or a biz you understand and put into context the one giving the opinion(the extent of their visits, how they tend to act, how they project themselves, how they define affordable, etc). Without doing that opinions/recommendations are basically valueless or just a blind folded shot in the dark to follow.

I could say the same about quite a few negatively opionated posts about hostels, individuals, businesses, etc made here on WB referring to Greasy Creek Hostel, the 12 Tribes Community in Rutland, Standing Bear, AMC facilities(lodges, huts), etc

Dogwood
09-18-2015, 16:23
I would also think it very helpful in that you decide what you expect in an under a roof in town stay. Are you the kind that you're seeking unlimited internet availability, HBO, mirrors on the ceiling, food making capability, double size beds, "free" continental b-fasts, very wide ranging available amenities and services, etc AND are willing to afford the likely associated $$ OR you just need a decently clean shower, clean bed in a bunkhouse, maybe with cooking opps, some resupply, not overly noisy, more rustic, less costly, etc under a roof accommodations where you will be back out hiking early the next day.

TNhiker
09-18-2015, 17:24
the 12 Tribes Community in Rutland

uh oh............the 12 tribes...........

these cult has been a part of the grateful dead world for a really long time.........

peakbagger
09-18-2015, 17:26
I speculate that the negative commentary seems to crop up whenever there is a competing establishment. It was pretty hot and heavy while Miss Janet was in business and now there is a competitor in the area.

When it comes to trail services there are two distinct categories, those who run it as a business and those who run it as a hobby. A hobbyist can afford to lose money and subsidize hikers with their retirement checks like Bob Peoples at Kincora does while businesses have to deal with paying employees, taxes and insurance. Unfortunately many hobbyists do it for a few years and then decide that's its too much of job and they don't like dealing with bad apples while a business needs to put up with it or find another business. Ask anyone with a hostel if they make enough money to cover the bills and it will be a rare owner that comes close.

As mentioned there is a hotel right down the road that will offer high end services and charge for those services. I stayed there on one trips but have used UJs services in the past and you get what you pay for.

Starchild
09-18-2015, 17:31
On my thru UJ forgot to charge me upon entry, When checking out I gave him the $ for my stay which is pretty normal with AT hostels pay as you leave, he thanked me for my honesty.

Many others have said he is all about the money.

My experience there and another time seems that money comes first, not that it's bad, but it is what it is, which leads to really no trust, which is a sad view of hikers IMHO.

Also what I didn't like about my stay is bike use in included with a stay, but I wanted to use the bike in the morning before I set off back on the AT, but that incurred a bike rental fee even though I stayed the night and it was 8AM.

Leaving UJ there is a great stay further down the trail, actually a should not miss stay at Greesy Creek Gap Friendly Hostel, One of the greatest stays on the trail.

Kenai
09-18-2015, 17:36
Sign me up for Uncle Johnny's! Sounds like a place that Kerouac would have stayed at. Must be my French Canadian DB roots. ;)

kayak karl
09-18-2015, 19:02
Got a roof over my head, shower, trip to town to resupply and snicker bars. What else is there. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

rpelmas
09-18-2015, 19:13
I was there in 08, was treated well, and had a few beers with the boys. No complaints.

Dogwood
09-18-2015, 19:56
AFTER meeting Uncle J face to face exchanging who we were, what we're about, and our predicaments he graciously waited until the next day to pay him in full until a bank transfer was completed into the account I used to pay. I've experienced lots of cooperation and graciousness from Uncle J. He never came off rude to me or his establishment as a dump. Then again I'm not a Taj Mahal, Marriott, or I must have Hilton chocolate kiss/mint on the pillow snob during my in town roof over my head while I'm hiking overnighters.

Old Hiker
09-18-2015, 21:07
2012 - private room. Clean, tons of VHS tapes (young pups - look it up), TV/VCR combo (again, young pups - look it up) to run them. No regular TV or cable. Clean shower room. Decent internet - thought it was a female room, as I walked in as directed and there were nothing but..................females inside.

UJ friendly - even more so when I got bored and asked if I could clean the trash out of the hiker box. Grimm was a great shuttle driver - elderly hiker jokes, but I've heard them all before.

2 free shuttles at that time to town.

I'll stay again, probably.

Traffic Jam
09-19-2015, 07:49
I had a good experience there and would stay there again...but I'm like Dogwood, easy to please and appreciative.

Dogwood
09-19-2015, 09:38
I had a good experience there and would stay there again...but I'm like Dogwood, easy to please and appreciative.

Shh, I can be quite demanding sometimes too. Going into town on a hike is all part of the adventure, the journey, LIFE. Worth embracing it all. Besides I hear it's all a vacation. We should feel fortunate we get to experience AT hiking in IT'S FULLNESS OF, UMM, BEAUTY. Better to roll with the punches, approach experiences with gratitude, and live with joy and wonder.

Old Hiker
09-19-2015, 10:04
Shh, I can be quite demanding sometimes too. Going into town on a hike is all part of the adventure, the journey, LIFE. Worth embracing it all. Besides I hear it's all a vacation. We should feel fortunate we get to experience AT hiking in IT'S FULLNESS OF, UMM, BEAUTY. Better to roll with the punches, approach experiences with gratitude, and live with joy and wonder.

But, but, but I thought it was just walkin' .

rotorbrent
09-19-2015, 14:47
section hiked from UJ in 2012 and the shuttle picked me up returning me to my car all was well and all was great.

Bronk
09-19-2015, 14:58
The guy is still in business...that must tell you something right there. And you trip over the place coming off the trail...you can't hardly miss it. He charged me $6 to set up a tent in his yard and take a shower in 2002. I thought it was well worth it. And he loaned me a bicycle to ride into town.

George
09-19-2015, 16:34
location and lack of competition has been the key - I have a long memory and have intentionally done minimal business with UJ - that being said, I would certainly have no problem with identical set ups (price, service, facilities, convenience etc) under different ownership on any trail

Mykneeshurt
09-19-2015, 16:35
Uncle Johnny's (where I have stayed several times...2009, 2010, 2013) is not a hotel. It's a hostel. Way nicer than a shelter. Inside toilet. :).

mattjv89
09-19-2015, 19:50
I stayed there this year and had no major complaints, tented for $10 and got dinner and breakfast shuttles into Erwin. The shower houses were clean and when I looked in the bunkroom it seemed well kept and reeked of heavy duty cleaning products. I heard there was a rash of noro that seemed to originate there in '14 so maybe they stepped up the hygiene. It is convenient for the shuttles, Erwin seemed tougher than the average town to hitch through since most services are down the interstate.

Your experience there could really vary by the night though. A few nights prior to my stay there was a big drunken brawl there and I don't think the staff had a clue about it happening because the instigator was still staying there a few nights later. There was another situation this season where Sarge got in a fight with some people over a late fee for returning a raft and pulled a knife on them leading to the police being called. They are also in some kind of feud with Ms. Janet that I won't pretend to understand but Sarge makes it his business to trash talk her and it seems like she encourages other hikers to do the same towards UJ's, just kind of ugly to be caught in the middle of. I've had this at a few other spots on the trail and it is always a drag when hostel owners want to give you an earful about how horrible the competition is. I would probably stay there again on a long hike because it is so convenient but sure wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidNH
09-19-2015, 22:04
I stayed at Uncle Jonny's for a couple nights in 06. I thought it was great. inexpesive, and they provide free shuttles in to town 3 times a day to get to the restaurants at no extra charge.

Deacon
09-20-2015, 05:21
And where else can you buy a snickers bar for 40 cents?

Bronk
09-20-2015, 09:14
When I was there in 2002 Johnny got pissed off because somebody used the pay phone on his porch to call Miss Janet for a shuttle into town. I guess I can understand a guy being pissed when somebody uses his facilities to call in the competition but if you've got a public phone people are going to use it...especially when you tell them they'll have to wait a couple of hours for a ride. Direct quote: "If you get in that b----'s car all of your s--- will be in the river by the time you get back."

Lone Wolf
09-20-2015, 09:21
johnny is still in business. janet ain't

map man
09-20-2015, 09:58
I stayed a night in May of 2013. It's right on the trail. I paid $10 to tent there and paid something extra ($4?) to do a load of laundry. I bought a Gatorade and the camp store looked fairly well stocked. The dial on the washer was wonky and an employee had to show me the trick to using it (but washers and driers are often old and idiosyncratic at hostels up and down the AT). The shower was clean. They had an organized system for dealing with packages that get sent to them -- getting my package was employee mediated and that's the way I prefer it (as opposed to packages just left in a pile for anyone to sort through). The night I was there things were quiet and I got a good night's sleep in my tent. I never met Uncle Johnny himself while I was there.

I've stayed at about a half dozen trail-oriented establishments in the southern Appalachians and Uncle Johnny's is about in the middle -- I've stayed in better and I've stayed in worse.

joshuasdad
09-20-2015, 16:12
Holy cow, Looked at their shuttle costing: Uncle johnny charged me $90 to carvers gap, Cantarroso Farm charges $25 WOW..

The next gap towards Erwin, Iron Mountain Gap, cost only $10 on UJ's special AM run, which allows you to slackpack the 20 miles back to the hostel. $50 seems like a excellent rate to Carver's Gap (38 miles), Cantarroso is $25 x minimum of 2 people (or $50 for one). Last time I was at UJ's, 10-K provided most of the long haul shuttles for UJ--I don't think he would charge $90.

Traffic Jam
09-20-2015, 17:27
When I stayed at UJ's, I left my i.d, money, and debit card in the bathroom. Sarge found it and returned it. I was really grateful for his honesty.

LuckyMan
09-21-2015, 04:39
I stayed there after getting a good report from a southbounder who just came from there. He said Johnny was sick and a young hiker was running the place and had done a lot of work on it. I'd stay again. Pluses: three free town shuttles daily, pleasant deck and outdoor seating, camp store, bicycles, hammock, books, decent shower room, laundry available. Minuses: no sheets for vinyl mattresses, bunkroom could be cleaner, someone with logorrhea loudly proclaiming out on the deck way past hiker midnight how Chicken George Bush Jr wasn't such a disaster after all - ugh, earplugs are a must! Also there's a large friendly but smelly dog that has taken over the only couch in the bunkroom.
Johnny, get well soon.

Gambit McCrae
09-21-2015, 08:17
Uncle Johnny's (where I have stayed several times...2009, 2010, 2013) is not a hotel. It's a hostel. Way nicer than a shelter. Inside toilet. :).

I have seen dozens and dozens of shelters. UJs bathroom is better then most privys, NOT all shelters. Lol I have stayed in nicer shelters

firesign
09-21-2015, 09:25
I was planning to stay at uncle johnnys hostel on my long section hike but have met a few hikers advising me not to, saying it is a dump. Those who have stayed there - do you recommend it or not? Is there an inexpensive alternative in Erwin?

Pros:

Next to trail head
Warm welcome
Good briefing
Great outdoor shop
Free shuttle to fast food/resup in town
New hot showers/ clean toilets
Free wifi
Good laundry facilities
Power supply for charging phones

Cons:

Bunk room was filthy.
Bins not emptied

Neutral:

Mattresses only, no sheets or pillows
UJ is extremely laid back - horizontal

Opinion:

Compared to all the other hostels on the AT, UJs would be in the bottom few. Compared with the Hiker Inn at Dalonega which costs about the same - there is no comparison.

It would cost very little and not take much time to keep the bunk room clean. There is no will and that is the problem. If you are going to run a business, run it properly.

I believe that there should be a web facility to comment on AT accom like Trip Advisor and in the guide books as Yogi has done. This would allow hikers to firm a more accurate opinion when planning accommodation options.

Gambit McCrae
09-21-2015, 10:21
This thread is why I suggested a feedback type setup for hostels and shuttle drivers the would operate like online product ratings. No one was interested yet here we are
:-?

Drybones
09-21-2015, 22:55
I see it as a typical hostel, not five star but all a hiker needs, I pitched my tent in the back yard so I don't know about the rooms.

MuddyWaters
09-21-2015, 23:54
This thread is why I suggested a feedback type setup for hostels and shuttle drivers the would operate like online product ratings. No one was interested yet here we are
:-?

There is a feedback system already. Grapevine. Places that dont meet customers needs, at fair prices, dont last.

UJ has been around about 17 yrs now. Hmmm...

Gambit McCrae
09-22-2015, 08:31
Grapevine is he said she said blah blah blah. Word of mouth is good for here and now on the trail but I have learned to ignore most grapevine talk as it usually turns up to be inaccurate. A documented per experience rating system the same as if you look up the hojo inn down the street.

In todays time you can lookup any business as I just did on Google using UJ as the example,
He is on rated on:
Google review (https://www.google.com/#q=uncle+johnny%27s+hostel+erwin+tn)
3.9/5 stars w/ 10 reviews

Tripadvisor
(http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55034-d1199020-Reviews-Uncle_Johnny_s_Nolichucky_Hostel_Outfitter-Erwin_Tennessee.html)4/5 stars w/ 16 reviews

yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/uncle-johnnys-nolichucky-hostel-cabins-and-camping-erwin)
3 starts w/ 7 reviews

Hostelz.com (http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/26621-Uncle-Johnnys-Nolichucky-Hostel---Outfitter)
4.4/5 stars with 8 reviews

Whiteblaze report from times past (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/53007-An-experience-with-Uncle-Johnny-s-hostel-this-past-weekend)
positive experience

But when we look at it, we are talking about 43 people total, not a large number for a survey but an overall positive number, better then I would rate it.
When I speak of "rating" the place what goes thru my mind is: How does this place compare, for the price, to , IMO, one of my best hostel experiences...
I can use Laughing heart as an example of a "great experience" from a facility standpoint.

Laughing heart: CLEAN, private rooms for $25 a night w/ AC/ heat. donation coffee, nice bathroom facilities and Chuck is forever kind. Chuck even gave me a free nights stay because I had used him all month on the weekends to section hike the AT all around him.

UJ's: Dirty AF, $40 a night for a worn out bed no AC/, and to deal with grouchy ass Sarge for overpriced shuttles. No thanks.

This is my opinion and facts found online both, they don't seem to add up but my experience is that of 3 occasions, and a high expectation due to extremely positive experiences elsewhere. I encourage everyone to get a personal opinion by trying them out. Personal experience is always better then that grapevine thing.

The Kisco Kid
09-22-2015, 12:10
RE: FEEDBACK SITE FOR HOSTEL/SHUTTLES

The A.T. is already guidebooked out. Have a sense of adventure. Otherwise, there's always Orlando..

dzierzak
09-23-2015, 10:17
Grapevine is he said she said blah blah blah. Word of mouth is good for here and now on the trail but I have learned to ignore most grapevine talk as it usually turns up to be inaccurate. A documented per experience rating system the same as if you look up the hojo inn down the street.

In todays time you can lookup any business as I just did on Google using UJ as the example,
He is on rated on:
Google review (https://www.google.com/#q=uncle+johnny%27s+hostel+erwin+tn)
3.9/5 stars w/ 10 reviews

Tripadvisor
(http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55034-d1199020-Reviews-Uncle_Johnny_s_Nolichucky_Hostel_Outfitter-Erwin_Tennessee.html)4/5 stars w/ 16 reviews

yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/uncle-johnnys-nolichucky-hostel-cabins-and-camping-erwin)
3 starts w/ 7 reviews

Hostelz.com (http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/26621-Uncle-Johnnys-Nolichucky-Hostel---Outfitter)
4.4/5 stars with 8 reviews

Whiteblaze report from times past (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/53007-An-experience-with-Uncle-Johnny-s-hostel-this-past-weekend)
positive experience

But when we look at it, we are talking about 43 people total, not a large number for a survey but an overall positive number, better then I would rate it.
When I speak of "rating" the place what goes thru my mind is: How does this place compare, for the price, to , IMO, one of my best hostel experiences...
I can use Laughing heart as an example of a "great experience" from a facility standpoint.

Laughing heart: CLEAN, private rooms for $25 a night w/ AC/ heat. donation coffee, nice bathroom facilities and Chuck is forever kind. Chuck even gave me a free nights stay because I had used him all month on the weekends to section hike the AT all around him.

UJ's: Dirty AF, $40 a night for a worn out bed no AC/, and to deal with grouchy ass Sarge for overpriced shuttles. No thanks.

This is my opinion and facts found online both, they don't seem to add up but my experience is that of 3 occasions, and a high expectation due to extremely positive experiences elsewhere. I encourage everyone to get a personal opinion by trying them out. Personal experience is always better then that grapevine thing.

And are not the reviews you mentioned above also "he said, she said"? They are personal likes and dislikes.