PDA

View Full Version : Therm-a-Rest Prolite versus Trail Scout

Casey & Gina
09-18-2015, 14:49
I am looking for a short-length self-inflating sleeping pad to use in conjunction with a Z Lite pad in the winter or when extra comfort is desired. We have to date only used short-length RidgeRest mats which have been fine, but they are bulky and I thought I should get a full-length closed cell mat to offer basic insulation during the colder times of the year. So we bought Z Lite mats, which to us are equal in comfort. Though not lighter, they are less bulky - the folded regular length Z Lite fits in the same space as a tightly-rolled short length RidgeRest Classic or SOLite.

We did NOT like the NeoAir XLite - it felt like sleeping on a balloon and had too much of a dropoff with the short version. So I am now looking for at thinner mat with open cell foam inside - not so much for the convenience of self-inflation, as much as not feeling like a balloon and still offering some added insulation in the event that they spring a leak before they can be repaired. I played around with what my local REI had available as display models, and found that the ProLite Plus used under the upper portion of the body worked out well. That mat is 1.5 inches thick and therefore the dropoff was not so bad, particularly when not inflated to the max. Since this won't be my only mat, I don't feel any need for that much of a mat though, and feel the ProLite would work just fine.

However I was also considering the Trail Scout which is 2.5 ounces more, and does not roll as small (4.6 inch thick roll versus 3.3). It has more insulation (R3.4 versus R2.4), so a combination pad approach would offer R6.0 versus R5.0 with the ProLite. Though the store did not have a display model available for this mat, it feels like it has more foam insulation and overall cushion, though it does not pack down as much. Online reviews seem to average better for it than the ProLite, but it is commonly recognized as a "newbie" mat for whatever reason, and thus does not get reviewed as seriously nor can I find anybody comparing the two directly. Is it perhaps less durable? It is also cheaper. 2.5 ounces for the added insulation seems worth the tradeoff, especially if it more comfortable.

Has anyone here actually used both the ProLite and Trail Scout, either on their own or in conjunction with another mat, that can offer their input as to the differences between these mats and why you would choose or have chosen one over the other?

Casey & Gina
09-20-2015, 22:22
Decided I preferred the roll-up RidgeRest Classic pads much more than the Z Lites...and realized I could use full length inflatable pads over the short RidgeRests I already have, to keep bulk down while still getting extra insulation. Decided to go with the Prolite Plus as they are only 3 ounces more than the Prolites. Seemed more durable than the Trail Scout, though I remain curious about them...

A million times happier with the Prolites than NeoAirs... Wish Therm-a-Rest would make a version with less cutouts for a higher R value like their women's model but in normal sizes - a real shame since the Prolite Plus Women's is R 4.2 and the only other self-inflating pad they make nearly that warm is the Trail Pro at 4.0 which is considerably heavier... Oh well, toting along the Ridgerests isn't so bad and combined with the regular Prolite Pluses deliver R 6.0. :)