PDA

View Full Version : Veggies I'd not dried in the past for hikes but I have tried for up coming hikes

Different Socks
09-18-2015, 16:59
Just this week I tried brussel sprouts. As long as I cut them in 1/2 they dry quickly, but have yet to use them in a meal. Maybe next week when I go to Glacier.

Others: Broccoli-Yummy!! My new fave!
Snow pea pods
green beans
stir fry assortments
coleslaw assortments
cabbage
Red/yellow peppers
Mung Bean sprouts

Anybody can give me others to try?

Kenai
09-18-2015, 17:15
Try sweet potatoes if you haven't already.

http://www.livescience.com/46016-sweet-potato-nutrition.html

Rocket Jones
09-18-2015, 17:44
Yep. Mashed sweet potatoes.

I also love dehydrated saurkraut.

Zucchini or yellow squash goes great with any tomato saucy meal.

Different Socks
09-18-2015, 18:13
Sweet taters is my next attempt.

Kenai
09-18-2015, 20:42
I was just reading that yogurt can be dehydrated easily, and if ground up after drying, will re hydrate well, and not be lumpy. I am going to have to try that one myself. One of my favorite breakfast creations is, yogurt, with fruit, granola, and honey. What type of dehydrator are you using?

Just Tom
09-18-2015, 21:36
Zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, onions...is that it for me...hmm, guess I never realized my vegetable drying has been so limited. I guess I need to broaden my horizons a bit.

Vegan Packer
09-19-2015, 00:54
My understanding is that you can dehydrate a lot of different vegetables. The trick is to cut them into small pieces, which allows them to dehydrate evenly. I've done mushrooms, and they were fantastic.

I have a Nesco. The main reasons that I bought it were: built in timer (which you can get around by buying a separate timer that plugs-in to the power cord), and there are fruit roll trays available instead of trying to create parchment paper trays that can hold liquid.

Other than things that require no cooking whatsoever, such as bagel chips, all of my meals on the trail are now dehydrated, and I use the freezer bag cooking method. I love it, and I eat like a king for every meal!

wannahike
09-19-2015, 04:56
Olives, little salty fat bites and cherry tomatoes with salt and basil, just like a pizza. Technically fruits but really good. I am going to try drying some home made lacto fermented pickles this week.
Sabar has a sweet and sour coleslaw recipe that is delicious. I like snacking on it without rehydrating
Cauliflower turned a little brown but was tasty.
I just dried shredded carrots and beets. They would be a nice addition to the coleslaw or maybe a trail mix.
And dried kale powdered and added to most dinners and soups. I don't cook it first.

And how are dried mung bean sprouts?

misprof
09-19-2015, 07:07
I take brussels sprouts and shred them like you would cabbage.

Different Socks
09-19-2015, 08:19
Others I have done as well:

carrots
Onions
Corn
peas
zucchini
several different kinds of mushrooms
spinach
kale
tomatos
chick peas
hominy
black beans
kidney beans
salsa
pasta sauce
raspberries
strawberries
apples

Different Socks
09-19-2015, 08:20
Olives, little salty fat bites and cherry tomatoes with salt and basil, just like a pizza. Technically fruits but really good. I am going to try drying some home made lacto fermented pickles this week.
Sabar has a sweet and sour coleslaw recipe that is delicious. I like snacking on it without rehydrating
Cauliflower turned a little brown but was tasty.
I just dried shredded carrots and beets. They would be a nice addition to the coleslaw or maybe a trail mix.
And dried kale powdered and added to most dinners and soups. I don't cook it first.

And how are dried mung bean sprouts?

Mung bean sprouts are rather good, once they are rehydrated.

atraildreamer
09-19-2015, 09:36
My understanding is that you can dehydrate a lot of different vegetables. The trick is to cut them into small pieces, which allows them to dehydrate evenly. I've done mushrooms, and they were fantastic.

I have a Nesco. The main reasons that I bought it were: built in timer (which you can get around by buying a separate timer that plugs-in to the power cord), and there are fruit roll trays available instead of trying to create parchment paper trays that can hold liquid.

Other than things that require no cooking whatsoever, such as bagel chips, all of my meals on the trail are now dehydrated, and I use the freezer bag cooking method. I love it, and I eat like a king for every meal!

Try dehydrating the frozen vegetables available in every market. Already cut to size and ready to go into the dehydrator.

Farr Away
09-21-2015, 11:08
Another thing you can do with dehydrated veggies is powder them after they're dried. They re-hydrate a lot easier.

I usually dry; allow to cool to room temperature; put them in a ziploc; freeze; powder, and put them back in the freezer until I need them.

One or two spoonfuls with a bouillon cube makes a great cup of soup. You can also put a couple spoonfuls in pretty much any dinner.

-FA

Different Socks
09-21-2015, 15:09
I was just reading that yogurt can be dehydrated easily, and if ground up after drying, will re hydrate well, and not be lumpy. I am going to have to try that one myself. One of my favorite breakfast creations is, yogurt, with fruit, granola, and honey. What type of dehydrator are you using?

I owned a Harvest Maid for about 20 years but last year the motor finally went, so I called the company and got another one that is now a Nesco Garden Master. Right now I have carrots, spinach, bella shrooms, broccoli and cauliflower drying.

aero-hiker
09-23-2015, 14:11
newbie to dehydrating here.... question: Do you cook any of the veggies before dehydrating them? Or do they get more tender during the dehydration process?

I've often thought of ways to save $$, space and weight, and it seems like dehydrating veggies, making home-made jerky, etc. might be a good option. Also, if you powder some of the veggies, they'll loose some fiber perhaps, and maybe increase their glycemic index (not a big deal for things like broccoli and kale, but might be worth considering for sweet potatoes, potatoes, bananas, plantains, etc.)

Vegan Packer
09-23-2015, 17:38
newbie to dehydrating here.... question: Do you cook any of the veggies before dehydrating them? Or do they get more tender during the dehydration process?

I've often thought of ways to save $$, space and weight, and it seems like dehydrating veggies, making home-made jerky, etc. might be a good option. Also, if you powder some of the veggies, they'll loose some fiber perhaps, and maybe increase their glycemic index (not a big deal for things like broccoli and kale, but might be worth considering for sweet potatoes, potatoes, bananas, plantains, etc.)

I am also new at this, but I have done it for this past season's outings. I don't cook veggies by themselves. I cook them as I ordinarily would for making the meal without dehydration, and then I just dehydrate the entire meal, so that I only need to add boiling or cold water on the trail. I have read some recipes that get involved in making a few things separately, and then combining on the trail, but I skipped those in favor of keeping things as simple and easy as possible. I don't bring any separate spices or ingredients.

I do bring separate things like bagel chips, and that sort of thing, but I wouldn't really call that a separate ingredient that requires combining in order to make the meal component.

Farr Away
09-24-2015, 11:15

Most veggies need to be blanched before dehydrating. If you use frozen veggies, they were blanched before being frozen.

I don't think powdering the veggies is going to destroy any fiber. It may be broken up in little pieces, but it's still there. Take a look at Metamucil (psyllium) or think about what happens to veggies in a smoothie. You're not juicing the veggies and throwing away the pulp; you're powdering the whole thing.

-FA

Vegan Packer
09-24-2015, 15:43
I don't think powdering the veggies is going to destroy any fiber. It may be broken up in little pieces, but it's still there. Take a look at Metamucil (psyllium) or think about what happens to veggies in a smoothie. You're not juicing the veggies and throwing away the pulp; you're powdering the whole thing.

This is correct. This is why people use products like a Vitamix over a juicer. In that case, the end result will be a little thicker than plain juice, but it is just a bit thicker, and it retains the fiber.

I still see no need to powder your veggies, and I am not sure how appetizing they would then be, but you are not losing anything by doing so.

Farr Away
09-24-2015, 16:35
The main reason I powder veggies is to help them re-hydrate - no crunchy or chewy, jerky-like veggie bits.

As far as how appetizing they are, I like them a lot, and have the home-made cup of soup at home or work quite often too. My 12 year old isn't all that fond of most veggies, but the chicken & broccoli mac and cheese we had last time we were out was "the best meal ever, Mom!!", lol.

-FA

squeezebox
09-25-2015, 09:59
Dried vegies are not available at my local grocery, neither is dried peanut butter.

Vegan Packer
09-25-2015, 13:54
Dried vegies are not available at my local grocery, neither is dried peanut butter.

In case you have a Costco in your area, mine sells the PB2 dehydrated peanut butter.