PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag: pack it with or without stuff sack?

Charlocity2
09-18-2015, 21:11
Do you prefer just stuffing your bag in the bottom of your pack, or do you use a stuff sack?

I have 2 bags: an older Cat's Meow synthetic, and a Campmor 20 degree down. I have an REI Flash 60 pack.

The down bag fits quite nicely in the bottom of that pack when it's in the stuff sack that came with it. But the synthetic bag...

...whether it's in the (little) stuff sack that came with it, or in a bigger Granite Gear compression sack, it just doesn't fit in the bottom like the down. I do realize that down is more compressible than synthetic.

Don't get me wrong: I'm asking, but I will try packing the synthetic without a stuff sack (but in a trash compactor bag) on the next trip I take that bag.

nsherry61
09-18-2015, 22:45
I often find stuffing my bag is a small, but not really tight, stuff sack helps contain it. Then, I stuff it in the bottom of my trash bag in the bottom of my pack.

Studlintsean
09-18-2015, 22:54
I used to use the stuff sack but have switched to no stuff sack the past few years. I find I can get a much tighter and more compressed pack when things can fill in the void space.

Fredt4
09-18-2015, 23:13
Waterproof bag.

BirdBrain
09-18-2015, 23:15
I used to use the stuff sack but have switched to no stuff sack the past few years. I find I can get a much tighter and more compressed pack when things can fill in the void space.

Well stated. Fully agree. Many items are no where near as flexible as your sleeping bag. Putting a sleeping bag into a stuff sack might seem like a good way to compress it. However, doing so actually ends up taking up more space because the sleeping bag can no longer fill the voids created by less flexible items in your pack.

Cotton Terry
09-20-2015, 18:14
I line the bottom compartment of my backpack with a contractor's bag and then stuff my sleeping bag (and journal, electronics and pillow) into the contractor's bag.

Malto
09-20-2015, 19:28
Well stated. Fully agree. Many items are no where near as flexible as your sleeping bag. Putting a sleeping bag into a stuff sack might seem like a good way to compress it. However, doing so actually ends up taking up more space because the sleeping bag can no longer fill the voids created by less flexible items in your pack.

^^^This. Try it for yourself. I also pack hard, soft, hard soft when packing to take advantage of void filling.

ChrisJackson
09-20-2015, 19:34
Like many others...I just cram everything I want to keep dry-dry down into a trash compactor bag. No stuff sacks.

garlic08
09-20-2015, 19:42
Like many others...I just cram everything I want to keep dry-dry down into a trash compactor bag. No stuff sacks.

Whatever the count is up to +1

HooKooDooKu
09-20-2015, 22:51
I stuff my sleeping bag in its stuff sack, place that inside the trash compator bag, then use cloths to fill the voids. The one time I tried without a stuff sack, I didn't like how difficult it was to get back out after it had tried to 're-inflate' itself.
But hey, rather than taking anyone's word for it here, take a couple of weekend trips trying it both ways. See which works for you and the things you pack.

SkeeterPee
09-20-2015, 23:14
Great question. I am new to backpacking and have the same question. Especially as my pack has an adjustable panel between the bottom and the main compartment. it seems like the bottom compartment is not fully being used, but as others have said I could probably stuff some clothes into those voids.

BirdBrain
09-20-2015, 23:43
Great question. I am new to backpacking and have the same question. Especially as my pack has an adjustable panel between the bottom and the main compartment. it seems like the bottom compartment is not fully being used, but as others have said I could probably stuff some clothes into those voids.

I cut that panel out of my bag. I took the brain off, cut out the water bag sleeve, and cut off every attachment I am not using. Then I added hip belt pouches and shock cord to hold my water bottles to my shoulder straps. That is what you do when you buy the wrong bag... like me. Most people use a bag liner (trash compactor bag). If you do that, then separate compartments are of no use. In retrospect, I wish I could have bought a ruck sack attached to an Osprey suspension.

Ktaadn
09-21-2015, 09:11
I stick mine in a Target(seems to be thicker and stronger than Walmart) bag and put it at the bottom of my pack.

Scotch65
09-24-2015, 10:44
I use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner and just stuff my bag into that along with all my dry stuff.

Oh, and don't put any liquids inside the compactor bag (such as adult beverage containers) - it can be disastrous in so many ways.

Deadeye
09-24-2015, 11:12
I stuff my bag into a larger-than-necessary stuff sack. That leaves it soft enough for void-filling, but gives it an extra layer of protection from the elements.

Rain Man
09-24-2015, 11:41
As many have said, I put a trash compactor bag inside my pack, and put all my needs-to-stay-dry stuff in there. Seems to pack a lot more efficiently and uses less space.

The only stuff sacks I use any longer are one for camp clothes (which doubles as a pillow) which goes inside the trash compactor bag and a water-proof one for my food, which does not go inside the trash compactor bag.

I don't even use stuff sacks for hammock, rain fly, or stakes any longer. Just a waste and bother IMHO.

BTW, my things are down, not synthetic.

q-tip
09-25-2015, 10:58
Yes, my $550 WM Alpinlite would get damaged without....

rafe
09-25-2015, 11:07
I'll be the contrarian here. My down bag gets shoved into its own stuff sack. That stuff sack is lined with a plastic grocery store bag. Having a dry down bag is a top priority.

Food, clothes, "office" each go into their own stuff sacks, appropriately sized.

Coffee
09-25-2015, 11:32
My down bag goes into the bottom of my pack inside a trash compactor bag 90% of the time. The only exceptions are when I really need extra compression (I *can* get my bag much smaller if I use a compression stuff sack) or if I feel like there is any chance of total immersion in water such as doing any kind of sketchy creek crossing where I could fall in and my pack could be underwater. In such situations, keeping the down dry could be a life or death issue and I feel that using a waterproof stuff sack is warranted. In practice, I have only done this in the Sierra Nevada.

OwenM
09-27-2015, 15:28
Like Deadeye, I use an oversized stuff sack, so my quilt is still individually packaged and protected, but has room to conform to the shape of the pack's bottom and items on top of it. I just finished a trip where I had to have a bear canister, and used my pack liner the way some others have said they use a trash compactor bag, with quilt and clothes wrapped in it at the bottom of the pack and the bear can vertical on top of them, while additional stuff went around or on top of the bear can. Even in the Sierras, I had an all day rain week before last, and keeping my down dry is always a priority. My puffy also goes into an oversized stuff sack so that it can fill in gaps rather than being stored tightly stuffed in its own pocket-I actually use the one that came with my quilt for that.

Patrickjd9
09-27-2015, 19:43
Never thought of Deadeye and Owen's idea on the oversize stuff sack, but think I'll try it.

I've always thought that I've never quite gotten the hang of filling an internal frame pack. Working around the solid sleeping bag has been a big part of why.