PDA

View Full Version : PA Trail conditions and Parking.

rdljr
09-19-2015, 16:21
Just a few questions about the trail in PA
Is PA Route 33 (Wind Gap) a bad place to leave a truck overnight?
Is Little Gap parking spot a better spot?
Is The Kirkridge shelter spigot working in OCT?
If I am use to an average pace of 1 MPH in the Whites, will I see much of a difference between DelaWare Water Gap and Lehigh Gap? The profile looks flat but we all know what type of lies a map can tell.

Thanks

tdoczi
09-19-2015, 17:03
Just a few questions about the trail in PA
Is PA Route 33 (Wind Gap) a bad place to leave a truck overnight?
Is Little Gap parking spot a better spot?
Is The Kirkridge shelter spigot working in OCT?
If I am use to an average pace of 1 MPH in the Whites, will I see much of a difference between DelaWare Water Gap and Lehigh Gap? The profile looks flat but we all know what type of lies a map can tell.

Thanks

its flat. the rocks will slow you down some but most would say you could go a good bit faster than the whites.

somers515
09-19-2015, 20:08
I've left my car at Wind Gap overnight and not had a problem. I liked that the parking lot is visible from the road. With normal precautions you should be good.

I once camped near Kirkridge at a time I thought surely the spigot would be working and it wasn't. So you are smart to ask as there isn't a lot of other water options nearby. Hopefully someone else will chime in about when exactly they turn it off for the season. By the way there is a really nice large tenting spot just 1/10 of a mile north of the Kirkridge shelter.

I hike almost exactly your pace in the Whites and I agree you will be faster in that section of PA than the Whites but that section has a large dose of the PA rocks - rocks that stick up at angles that seem to be designed to poke the bottom of your feet. I can't describe it any better than that. It will definitely slow you down some. My favorite part of that section was as you got close to DWG. There is an ice-cream shop in DWG, PA that you pass right by. Enjoy!

Pajj
09-20-2015, 10:25
The spigot was on when I went through back in july but the water tasted nasty