PDA

View Full Version : other hiking destinations

2009ThruHiker
11-30-2005, 16:54
Well, after being a bit bummed out about my daughter not graduating early (i guess it's 2009thruhiker now), i've decided to set my sites on some week long hikes this coming year, one in July and one at the end of august. (I want to save the AT experience for the thru hike... having said that i've hiked alot of VA living here and all)
I'm thinking about the Long Trail and Acadia in Maine ... just wondering of other ideas and also experiences with others concerning these locations mentioned.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2005, 16:56
Tons of day hiking and biking in Acadia. Do the Long Trail end of August.

tlbj6142
11-30-2005, 17:11
Isn't the long trail a 2 week trip? Guess you could just do a section.

What's the long trail's peer that runs in NH?

Lone Wolf
11-30-2005, 17:15
2 weeks? That's 18 miles per day. More like 3 weeks with a day or 2 off.

Kerosene
11-30-2005, 17:20
What's the long trail's peer that runs in NH?Cohos Trail (www.cohostrail.org (http://www.cohostrail.org)), a very wild 159-mile trail running from the Presidential Range all the way north to the Canadian Border. They lay it out as a 2-week hike. This is one of the first trails I'll do once I finish sectioning the AT in 2013.

fiddlehead
11-30-2005, 17:24
Some other suggestions: Allegheny trail, northville/placid trail, Horseshoe trail (although that ones getting pretty built up around there), Tuscarora trail. Lots of really great hiking out west: UT (many slot canyons, read some ed abbey to find out great places), AZ (AZ trail, Hayduke, grand canyon)., CO (CO trail and many others), ID (state line, Frank Church) MT (bob marshall is full of trails), OR, WA, WY, CA etc. all these places have great trails.
Out west hiking gives you a chance to find some real wilderness where you can be alone and truly hear silence. Anyway, there's tons of opportunities in this country as well as abroad.

chris
11-30-2005, 17:25
Head west. Hike the Wonderland Trail around Mount Rainier (about 90 miles). Or, pick anything in the southern Sierra Nevada. Or, anything in the Glacier Peak, Alpine Lakes, or Pasayten Wilderness in WA. Or, the Trinity Alps in CA. Or, Banff or Jasper or Waterton in Canada. Any of these places will blow away anything that Vermont or Maine has to offer.

See http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett

for some specific trips and pictures.

Of course, I'm biased to the West. I'd recommend the Smokys (one of my favorite places), but in July and August it is going to be very hot and humid and the hiking won't be too pleasant.

The Will
11-30-2005, 17:46
fiddlehead,

Have you hiked the Northville/Placid Trail? I'm considering doing that trip in early to mid-May and I'm collecting logistical info, etc.

fiddlehead
11-30-2005, 21:39
THE WILL: Hiked it in 90 or 89? I think you'll see a lot of bugs in May. late summer, fall or winter is a better time to hike (or snowshoe it) i think. here's a link to the logistics: http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/statepark/ny/hik_nort.htm
I'll be glad to help you with what i remember.

tlbj6142
12-01-2005, 10:01
Head west.Having done a couple of short trips and day hikes "out west", I'd say you should avoid it. Otherwise you'll never want to hike in the East again.:D

That said, I'd do the same section (Rt4 NOBO to East Flagstaff Rd) in ME I did last year a dozen times. It was great.

c.coyle
12-01-2005, 12:16
Since Fiddlehead brought up Pennsylvania, check out:

Susquehannock Trail (85 mile loop), beautiful, lightly hiked, fairly easy.

Quehanna Trail (75 mile loop), remote.

Laurel Highlands Trail (70 miles), shelters.

I live near the Horseshoe Trail. It is really being pressured by development and sprawl. The last roughly 15 miles at the north end are still pretty remote, and intersect the AT near Pa. Route 325.

Pennsylvania has some really nice hiking. The AT is not typical of Pa. trails.

Check out the Keystone Trails Association (http://www.kta-hike.org/trails.htm)