PDA

View Full Version : OR Helium II Rain Jacket Question

Googan
09-19-2015, 20:33
I'm not really liking the way the hood tightens up around my head. I'm also not loving the overall length of the jacket. Does anyone else feel the same way about their jacket?

Rex Clifton
09-20-2015, 21:11
I really like mine. Did you get a size large enough?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Googan
09-20-2015, 21:39
I really like mine. Did you get a size large enough?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

yes its the right size

Gambit McCrae
09-21-2015, 08:14
OR garments fit tight at least for me. I go one size larger on all shoulder hanging garments. I have the Helium HD, and in a XL. Fits nicely to have a down jacket underneath.

Vegan Packer
09-22-2015, 03:36
The hood tightening from the back is a little weird, but I haven't had the need to tighten it yet, especially since I usually wear my cap under it. It is not extra generous with the amount of fabric, so since I was on the border of sizes, I went with the larger size, and I find it just right, especially if I end out having to wear things under it.

bgillomega
10-11-2015, 06:10
They designed it for use with and without a helmet. The hood is a compromise. It also runs on the slim side so people should go bigger if you want to layer up. Best lightweight rain/wind jacket out there in my opinion.

saltysack
10-11-2015, 09:39
They designed it for use with and without a helmet. The hood is a compromise. It also runs on the slim side so people should go bigger if you want to layer up. Best lightweight rain/wind jacket out there in my opinion.

Agree!!! Love mine. It was my favorite piece of gear on my JMT hike...http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/11/9f4c2948d751e7fb4326b9c88a8fef9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
10-11-2015, 09:45

Agree!!! Love mine. It was my favorite piece of gear on my JMT hike...http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/11/9f4c2948d751e7fb4326b9c88a8fef9d.jpg

Dogwood
10-11-2015, 21:11
Agree, size up one. Mine in XL just doesn't fit me right as a 200lb ectomorph - too baggy in some places too restricting in other motions/places. Don't like the way the hood sits either. I would like a firmer brim that doesn't have a tendency to flop in my face or need to be folded back. I just had one given to me. Still have tags. Worn for 1 hr. It's not my favorite rain/wind jacket. I like having hand pockets on my rain jackets and and adjustable Velcro wrists in my rain jackets. I see little use for mine considering the other rain/wind jackets I already have in my quiver. Mine is in Hot Sauce color. After that starring review I'm selling for $70.

August W.
10-11-2015, 21:55
That jacket is just too short for me. I prefer rain jackets that hang at least a few inches below the waist.

Offshore
10-12-2015, 07:49
I had to buy a size up in order to get a layer under it. I'm also not a fan of the hood and find the jacket to be a couple of inches too short (probably due to wanting to lower the total weight to win the spec wars). I've relegated mine to a "just in case" role for day hikes and for commuting to work on rainy days where I'm in and out of the car. Maybe the Helium III...

saltysack
10-12-2015, 11:13
Agree, size up one. Mine in XL just doesn't fit me right as a 200lb ectomorph - too baggy in some places too restricting in other motions/places. Don't like the way the hood sits either. I would like a firmer brim that doesn't have a tendency to flop in my face or need to be folded back. I just had one given to me. Still have tags. Worn for 1 hr. It's not my favorite rain/wind jacket. I like having hand pockets on my rain jackets and and adjustable Velcro wrists in my rain jackets. I see little use for mine considering the other rain/wind jackets I already have in my quiver. Mine is in Hot Sauce color. After that starring review I'm selling for $70.

Agree about the brim...I always wear a hat with a bill under it which fixes the issue...I'm 5'11" 210 lbs (XL)athletic build seems to fit ok over base layer but would be tight over a puffy for sure..I found it breathes rather well without pit zips....for price, pack ability and weight it serves me fine....

Casey & Gina
10-12-2015, 12:47
Anyone use the Helium Radar cap (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/helium-radar-rain-cap-1.html)? They are on sale at the moment and seem nice enough from trying it out at a store. The brim is much sturdier than the jacket hood so they may do well paired together. But I'm not sure how I feel about the whole cap being made of waterproof fabric when I'd be wearing a hood anyways.

saltysack
10-13-2015, 07:10
Anyone use the Helium Radar cap (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/helium-radar-rain-cap-1.html)? They are on sale at the moment and seem nice enough from trying it out at a store. The brim is much sturdier than the jacket hood so they may do well paired together. But I'm not sure how I feel about the whole cap being made of waterproof fabric when I'd be wearing a hood anyways.

I really like their Sun Runner hat...don't see a need for a waterproof hat with a rain jacket with a hood.
Worked great in all conditions for JMT...didn't need sunscreen.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/e15ad5d97fba4900e0094cd2cf1692fd.jpg

JumpMaster Blaster
10-13-2015, 18:04
I like the Helium II. I normally wear a large, but I have long arms and wanted to make sure I could wear it over a thick baselayer and fleece or down jacket, so I went with the XL. Same thing for the Marmnot PreCip. Sized up because I may end up layering. As far as the hood, I rather LIKE how it cinches around my head.