PDA

View Full Version : Mid Feb start bag/quilt temp rating

Honuben
09-20-2015, 20:59
Any mid feb nobo starters ou there? What temp bag are you using? Just wondering if my 0* will be too warm and if i should stick with a 20*. I will be sleeping outside all winter to test but curious to see if anyone else will be chilling out there too?

Malto
09-20-2015, 21:05
It will be too warm later but would work fine for a while. I would be more inclined to take a 20deg and 30 deg quilt and send home one later in the trip. Make sure you have a good pad such as a xtherm. It is as important as the bag.

George
09-20-2015, 21:09
did springer to HF vast year mid feb to mid march used a 10F bag that was a good compromise, would have changed it out if I had continued past HF

Honuben
09-21-2015, 05:33
Malto - im still debating on using my hammock or ground set up. I am leaning toward the ground and the xtherm would definately be going. Ill try out the double bag set up when it starts getting cooler, good idea.

George - what lows did you see? My wife will meet up with me half way so a gear swap will happen. So i could stick with the 0*, but my testing will determine it.

kayak karl
09-21-2015, 07:09
i saw negative temps in February. -10 being lowest. i had JRB zero degree hammock quilts and was fine

kayak karl
09-21-2015, 07:11
Your pad will be very important also.

Goatgas
09-21-2015, 19:47
Having winter /hunt camped in MN. I'm going with a bag that handles 0 deg and switch out. I think its Better to be warm and comfy while sleeping(burning less calories to stay warm also). The weather is too unpredictable and don't want to be stuck in inclement weather with minimal warmth. Its easier to open the bag and be cooler than try to warm up in my experience. A pad with high R factor is a must or your body heat will be lost through conduction. I'm planning on leaving 23-24th Feb.

Jakesdad1
10-01-2015, 10:45
Two years ago I made a north bound attempt starting the second week of March. First 2 nights the temp dropped to 17 deg. The night before I bailed in NC it got down to 20. My 20 degree bag was perfect. Just add or subtract the clothes you sleep in. Using the same bag in my 2016 attempt.