PDA

View Full Version : 29 degrees this AM in Maine

peakbagger
09-21-2015, 07:52
Cupsuptic Maine near Rangeley which is about 10 miles north of the AT was 29 deg F this AM, the coldest spot in the lower 48. Gorham NH was 32 deg F. Just in time for fall hiking. I expect its going to catch a few thru hikers who geared down as the weather prior to Sunday had been three weeks of hot and humid. It was 40 on the top of Mt Washington.

Rain Man
09-21-2015, 08:48
I was hiking Grafton Notch to Rangeley two weeks ago and it was over 90 degrees two days in a row, 80s the rest of the time. One night it got all the way down to 70 over-night!

Ktaadn
09-21-2015, 09:05
Are the leaves in full color or falling off already?

Jeff
09-21-2015, 09:28
If it's too cold to sleep, you can get up and hike !!!

mattjv89
09-21-2015, 10:02
Sure is getting chilly! I'm writing from Leeman Brook this morning and it was the coldest night I've felt in a while. Seems like most thru hikers I'm around are making good decisions about not ditching cold weather gear just because of a few warm days. It's just like the early days again, feels silly to be hoofing insulation for freezing temps when it's 85 out then a few days later you're using all of it. The timing of this cold snap is funny just as I enter the hundred mile, seems like the weather is firmly announcing "closing time!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
09-21-2015, 11:38
Leaves have a hint of color in the northern Whites although a few of my traditionally early trees have a lot of color. Give it a week or so.

Hangfire
09-21-2015, 11:40
We're getting close to the end for the last of the north bound bubbles. Hopefully the weather holds up to get these groups through to Katahdin.

egilbe
09-21-2015, 15:06
Are the leaves in full color or falling off already?

Leaves are are starting to fall, yes. Some trees drop earlier than others. Gf friend turn the ac on last night before bed, then she got too cold to turn it off :D

peakbagger
09-21-2015, 15:39
I gave ride to a couple of thru hikers from the AT crossing at route 302 in Crawford Notch this weekend. They had flipped up to Katahdin and were hiking south. THe next 7 day forecast is sunny but decided cooler. Even with the temps we have gone about a month with very little rain and above normal temps. I still have 9 days to see snow on top of the presis (I usually see one day where there is snow up there in the AM but by the looks of the forecast this year may not be one of them.

rdljr
09-21-2015, 16:11
Heading out to Bigelows tomorrow, guess I should add the gloves to the kit and rethink the fleece weights. Weather channel was listing lows of 41...that is a long way from 29.

egilbe
09-21-2015, 19:00
Heading out to Bigelows tomorrow, guess I should add the gloves to the kit and rethink the fleece weights. Weather channel was listing lows of 41...that is a long way from 29.

The low temps at sea level or at 3000 feet where most of the campsites are? It should be a nice hike, nice and cool. Not like the 80's and 90's my GF and I experienced at the end of August.