PDA

View Full Version : Are topos/supplemental maps necessary?

ddanko2
09-21-2015, 08:54
Greetings all,

So I am unsure whether my wife and I can simply carry the CT databook next year for our 30 day SOBO hike, or if certain stretches of trail require you to carry additional maps/information (if the trail becomes hard to follow, unsigned junctions, etc). We are also considering the Mt. Elbert loop during our trek; should we at least carry an additional topo for this area? Thanks!

Coffee
09-21-2015, 11:00
I never feel comfortable without good paper maps and carry them on all of my hikes, including the CT last year. The CT was also the first hike where I carried a smartphone and I had the Colorado Trail Hiker android app. I found the app helpful at a couple of ambiguous junctions. The trail is well marked for the most part but there are a few places where junctions can be a bit confusing (compared to a trail like the AT that is constantly blazed).

As for the Elbert and Massive side trips, I hiked Massive and did not feel like a separate map was necessary although it was partially off my Colorado Trail mapset. Those are very heavily used trails. I didn't climb any other 14ers and additional topos may be needed for other areas but, not I think, for Elbert or Massive.

Looking back at the past few years of hiking, I must say that the Colorado Trail was my most successful hike on many levels and more likely than not I will return to thru hike the trail again at some point over the next few years, probably NOBO this time since I was SOBO last time. Good luck!

garlic08
09-21-2015, 12:50
The databook is excellent for keeping you on trail. And the trail is so well-used, the tread will be obvious where it's not signed. That goes for Elbert, too. Some local hikers whose judgment I trust told me maps would not be needed on my hike, and they were right.

Much depends on your trail skills, though. I met a CT hiker last summer who was constantly getting off trail, though I don't think maps would have helped much in that case. It's a matter of paying attention, with or without maps.

If you feel comfortable hiking the AT without maps, as I did, you'd do just as well on the CT. If you feel maps are worth the weight and expense to increase your comfort level, they'll also let you identify close-in landmarks, water sources, etc. not in the databook.

If you can wait for the next edition of the databook, you'll have the West Collegiate route on there. Though that was very easy to follow without maps last summer, too. It's new trail and there aren't any other options up there--just follow the excellent tread and enjoy the trip of a lifetime.