PDA

View Full Version : Money money - What I spent

Neemor
09-22-2015, 18:33
Hey guys!
I just wanted to let you guys know that it is not hard at all to spend less than $1 a mile on a thru. I just finished on the 7th and I kept a record of every penny that I spent. I even bought quite a few burgers, beers, smokes and hostel stays. Even 2 nights in hotels!

I will be making a youtube video outlining my spending in more detail and showing where I kept the budget tight and where I spent more.

Before leaving for my hike I couldn't find any good information on budgeting, so I decided I will make some. I was also told it would be nearly impossible to spend less than $4000..... Easy peasy hahaha.

I hope I will be able to help out future hikers on knowing what they could budget, or should budget or to know where to save up more.

Thanks! I'll post a link to my video in a few weeks when it's up.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/22/157956e5b8dae9cda9234197ceea20ca.jpg

John B
09-22-2015, 18:53
What about a post with a breakdown in the standard categories (food, lodging, gear,etc) with comments on what you found difficult, easy, what you would do differently, etc? Lots of us still like to read.

paule
09-22-2015, 19:00
Love your thru hike videos,,,,great stuff.Thank You

Boo-Yah
09-22-2015, 19:16
great stuff, look forward to seeing what you got

Neemor
09-22-2015, 22:32
What about a post with a breakdown in the standard categories (food, lodging, gear,etc) with comments on what you found difficult, easy, what you would do differently, etc? Lots of us still like to read.

I can write some stuff out in a the post when I get it all typed up. I dont have everything split up as well as I wish. Like sometimes I just grouped a town stop total money spent into one price in my journal. But I will do my best to split it up as accurate as possible! I've got a bit of info to share! :D stay tuned!

booney_1
09-22-2015, 23:00
Check out the Aussielegs (a mom, two daughters). they just completed thru...the one posting spent $3300. On her last post she lists
days hiked, nights in hotels, etc... It seems like they spent an "average" time in hostels and hotels. And did not deny themselves town food.

https://aussielegs.wordpress.com/

Hangfire
09-23-2015, 00:50
Well done, it's good to see you stuck to your guns. Something tells me that it didn't take you 6 months to complete, how many days for you?

Neemor
09-23-2015, 00:55
how many days for you?

I was out for 5 months 5 days!

Hangfire
09-23-2015, 01:01
I was out for 5 months 5 days!

That's even more impressive, I was thinking you did it in like 3-4 months which definitely keeps the price down.

AlyontheAT2016
09-23-2015, 21:17
Can't wait to get this info. It's a little disconcerting to see spending estimates above $3000-$4000, which just seems crazy imo. I will be starting my thru hike May 1

Love your videos too btw. It's been great to see your updates on what life on the trail is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Phoenix
09-23-2015, 21:26
I spent a little under $2,000 (gear included) on my 2009 thru-hike, but I was fortunate enough to have a ton of trail magic and random acts of kindness. I also stopped twice in towns to do odd-jobs, because I ran out of money. I worked at a hostel and painted some folks' deck to earn a little extra cash.

I suppose you cannot count on the goodness of people, but the amount of generosity I experienced along the way was shocking & life changing. My goal is to pay it forward down the road to other thru-hikers.

Bronk
09-24-2015, 15:01
Most people don't have the discipline to spend most of their time actually on the trail. Town is where you spend money...get in, get a shower, wash your clothes, get your resupply and get the hell out of dodge...it should take you 2 to 3 hours. If you need a zero day, take an extra day or two worth of food with you and zero on the trail. Most people don't have the discipline to do that. Every night you spend in a town will likely cost you 2 extra restaurant meals as well as lodging...which could easily run you $50 to $75...multiply that out times 20 weeks of a 5 month long hike and you can see how easy it is to double what this person spent.

fastfoxengineering
09-24-2015, 15:06
Bar tabs are expensive. I think if you only have one or two then a thru hike can be on the light side. I love seeing people hike for the cheap. If I can only spend three grand I'll be proud of myself. Looking forward to your spreadsheet.

FlyFishNut
09-24-2015, 15:08
You have done 7 thru hikes and you are only 25? Cheers!

hikeandbike5
09-24-2015, 16:07
You have done 7 thru hikes and you are only 25? Cheers!
Where do you get that from?

BillyGr
09-24-2015, 17:09
Where do you get that from?
In the first post it says just finished on the 7th - probably meaning Sept 7th, but someone may have read as 7th thru hike.

tflaris
09-24-2015, 17:58
Thanks for sharing.

TF

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

pauly_j
09-25-2015, 04:12
get in, get a shower, wash your clothes, get your resupply and get the hell out of dodge.

Serious question- How do you get a shower without also getting lodge? I'm from England so may need to be enlightened. Do you guys have rentable shower facilities in town? Personally not too fussed about sleeping in a room over a tent but a hot shower once a week or so is a perk I go for. I've gone on a couple of hiking trips with the intention of wild-camping and ended up in a campsite for the lure of showers (after climbing a couple of mountains, getting into your sleeping bag freshly washed is worth every penny).

wannahike
09-25-2015, 06:21
Axon and Shrugs, a couple from Canada did a post on their expenses.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=511964

garlic08
09-25-2015, 07:50
Serious question- How do you get a shower without also getting lodge? I'm from England so may need to be enlightened. Do you guys have rentable shower facilities in town?

In some of the US trail towns there are places to get just a shower--a hostel, private campground, recreation center, public swimming pool, fire station, trail angel's house.... It could be $5, it could be free.

English Stu
09-25-2015, 12:01
I am in the UK and have done several thousand miles in the UK and wild camped a lot, plus a thousand mile + plus on the AT. In the UK I carry a few National Health Service patient body wipes and find they are good substitute for a shower.You can get them on ebay, Amazon. I guess they have something similar in the US, I hope to get back there next year.

Neemor
09-25-2015, 12:07
Serious question- How do you get a shower without also getting lodge? I'm from England so may need to be enlightened. Do you guys have rentable shower facilities in town?

Like garlic08 said, in almost every town there are opportunities to pay for a shower it visit a place that lets you shower for free.
These places are listed in awols guide book.
Also, in places where there are nothing listed it is not too hard to "yogi" a shower.

If you see a hiker in town that you know. They may let you into their hotel room to shower.

Also, one time I got a free shower out of a hitch. You ask the driver if they know any place in town that lets hikers shower and stay for free and mention that you know in some towns there are churches that do this. The key is to sound hopeless and they love to help out! [emoji1] haha but always show them gratitude.

flemdawg1
09-25-2015, 15:13
Basically any hostel (and afew hotels that depend on hiker business)will rent a shower,

Showers for rent or free:
possible, not verified -p
Rent= r
Free= f
Mountain Crossings -r
Standing Indian CG- r
Haven Budget Inn, Franklin TN -r
NOC - r
Fontana Dam -f
Standing Bear Farm - p
Hot Springs (multiple places) -p
Uncle Johnnies - r
Kincora Hostel -r
MRO Damascus -r
Mt Rodgers HQ -f
Trent's Grocery -r
4 Pines Hostel- r
All Shenandoah Campgrounds - r
Dahlgren Backpacker CG - f
Free State Hostel- p
Doyle Hotel -p
Lakeshore House - r

capehiker
09-25-2015, 16:22
Looking forward to your video/post. I am aiming for a 5 month Thru myself. I've enjoyed your videos.

hikeandbike5
10-25-2015, 20:44
where's the video or other info detailing all expenditures?

shelb
10-25-2015, 20:50
Where can I find the OP's other videos? (Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am pretty tired tonight!)

Mags
10-25-2015, 20:53
The key is to sound hopeless and they love to help out! [emoji1] haha but always show them gratitude.

Is this part of the money saving strategy? :)

capehiker
10-25-2015, 22:39
Where can I find the OP's other videos? (Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am pretty tired tonight!)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bWl16rlqjSeL4f9at6s_A

rafe
10-26-2015, 08:05
Free State Hostel is no longer, from what I understand. It was very nice while it lasted. It's on flemdawg's list in Msg #23.

Neemor
11-01-2015, 11:39
where's the video or other info detailing all expenditures?

I uploaded part one to my channel. Part two will be up shortly.

Http://www.youtube.com/NeemorsWorld

Neemor
11-15-2015, 14:22
Part 2 is up! Tips on how to save!
My budget spread sheet is linked in the video description.

https://youtu.be/7S6WMFgl31w

Jeff
11-15-2015, 15:34
Part 2 is up! Tips on how to save!
My budget spread sheet is linked in the video description.

https://youtu.be/7S6WMFgl31w

Lot's of good tips and advise...great job !!!

George
11-15-2015, 19:32
at 22 - you can still be on the parents insurance

my health insurance for 5 months is a hell of a lot more than 2000

I know someone who in 2006 spent 21 hours at Berlin NH hospital for a broken ankle - total was about 30,000