PDA

View Full Version : WTB Western Mountaineering 6' Alpinlite

denimlabels
09-22-2015, 20:05
WTB a very good/ lightly used Western Mountaineering Alpinlite in 6'.

q-tip
09-23-2015, 11:46
Would NEVER sell mine, best bag for 3-season for me.

denimlabels
09-23-2015, 20:04
What temps have you had it down too and how much extra clothing did you need to wear. Im kind of torn with buying a new or used one. If I buy a new one its like 560$ Yikes! BUT... Made in America plus you can pay an extra $30 and they can overs tuff the bag with another 3oz. of down. I also love the idea of a draft collar.

Venchka
09-23-2015, 20:34
The Internet gurus are split 50-50 on over stuffing. I own an Alpinlite and an Antelope. Not enough use on either to know what their limits are. The Alpinlite is unused.
The hood, collars, draft tube and foot box are worth every penny of the price. The Alpinlite came in 0.25 ounce under the advertised weight. A first for me. Most gear is overweight.
Good luck with your search.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Studlintsean
09-23-2015, 21:42
I own a Alpinelite and love it. I camp year round in the Mid Atlantic area and have had it down to 15 (maybe a bit lower) multiple times. I have never been too cold in it. I am a warm sleeper but it is worth every time. I bought mine used (new) with tags for $360 a few years ago. Keep an eye out on BPL and you can come across a deal. I would highly recommend this bag and expect to have it the rest of my life.

Starvin Marvin
09-26-2015, 11:08
With my Alpinlite, I've been plenty warm down to 10*F, and warm enough down to 0*F, on top of a large XTherm pad, inside a Copper Spur. Winter sleep clothes for me are, loose wool socks, fleece top and bottoms, merino wool hat, maybe liner gloves. For the zero degree nights, I bring my puffy jacket inside the bag, but don't wear it. I lay it across my chest to suppliment and to fill any voids or gaps.
If you want something warmer, definitely consider the Versalite. My wife uses one and that thing is stuffed.

Venchka
09-26-2015, 15:48
How could I forget....
One more feature of Western Mountaineering bags. The snag free zipper. Works every time. In the dark with your eyes closed. Which is exactly when I need a snag free zipper for adjusting the temperature in the bag or getting out for one of those wee hours of the morning excursions.

Wayne

Venchka
09-26-2015, 16:27

If you want something warmer, definitely consider the Versalite. My wife uses one and that thing is stuffed.

Be advised: The Versalite & Antelope are built on the same pattern. I'm 5'-8" and currently skinny. I own an Antelope and find the interior volume to be near perfect. Wide enough to lie on my back with my arms at my side or on my side without being cramped. My first bag was cut very narrow. When I started shopping for a new bag, I tried the Ultralite. Same narrow body as my older bag. The Alpinlite is HUGE inside compared to the Ultralite & wider than the Versalite.
I settled on the Alpinlite because I felt that the Versalite was too close to the Antelope in temperature rating. In a perfect world, WM would build the Ultralite & Summerlite with the same dimensions as the Versalite-Antelope twins. If you need the room, the Alpinlite wins.
The Apache shares the same dimensions with the Ultralite & Summerlite.
Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Wayne

denimlabels
11-27-2015, 16:15
No you didn't confuse me Venchka, i appreciate the insight. Im going with the Alpinlite because of the larger shoulder area. Missed buying one on Ebay but can still find them there on occasion new for about 460. I hope to have mine in a couple more weeks so I can do some backpacking around Christmas.

Venchka
11-27-2015, 21:33
I finally spent a night in my Alpinlite. In a tent. On an Xtherm. Wearing merino wool long underwear and socks and a very light fleece bike helmet liner.
Temperature range: 34 when I got in the bag and 26 the next morning when I got out of the bag.
A perfect nights sleep. Never cold.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.