PDA

View Full Version : Man Jumps on swimming Moose- Are we serious?

Gambit McCrae
09-23-2015, 10:33
This dude needs to be punched in the face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4kJ9TGhJA

Gambit McCrae
09-23-2015, 10:40
Video isn't working for me in link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4kJ9TGhJA

Mouser999
09-23-2015, 10:44
Video worked for me. Guy shudda got kicked in head by the moose

rocketsocks
09-23-2015, 12:09

Yup, what a dip stick!

Berserker
09-23-2015, 12:13
Better yet he needs to stop being an effing girly man, and give the moose a chance by trying to jump on it's back on dry land. Something tells me the moose wins that one, and we have another nomination for the Darwin Awards.

White Shimmer
09-23-2015, 12:30
No kidding. This made me angry, sad and a little disillusioned. Once again, I do not claim the same race as this one seems to be.
This was in June- does anyone know the epilogue of the investigation? I could not locate anything.

illabelle
09-23-2015, 12:35
No kidding. This made me angry, sad and a little disillusioned. Once again, I do not claim the same race as this one seems to be.
This was in June- does anyone know the epilogue of the investigation? I could not locate anything.

This video was posted previously, I don't know, maybe last year? Coulda been the year before. As upsetting as it is, it's not recent.

Malto
09-23-2015, 12:36
I certainly hope none of the thousands of ticks that are likely on the moose decided to hitch a ride with the idiot.

It would be a shame if he ended up with Lyme .

To no one
ever

White Shimmer
09-23-2015, 12:41
This video was posted previously, I don't know, maybe last year? Coulda been the year before. As upsetting as it is, it's not recent.
This is from June (20th?) of this year.

Gambit McCrae
09-23-2015, 13:02
This is from June (20th?) of this year.

I found it on CNN.com as a new story that is being investigated.

White Shimmer
09-23-2015, 13:20
Yep. It was YouTube posted on 6/20 by the Cro-magnon group. Two other people lifted it for a link to their site on the 23rd, and that's when officials saw it. Investigators began sifting through it by the end of June. That's the story as I know it.

I still don't know what the epilogue is (if there is one yet).

hikernutcasey
09-23-2015, 13:41
Utterly ridiculous and I hope they figure out who it was and prosecute him. It makes me sad to know there are people in this world that stupid. It would have served him right if the moose would have turned on him after he fell off. Could have ended badly and he could have easily drowned. His picture must be beside the word moron in the dictionary.

Sarcasm the elf
09-23-2015, 13:57
The interesting thing about the internet is that once a video is out there it's there for good. Odds are this idiot will be identified, once his name is linked to the video it will haunt him for years. Can you imagine if a potential employer found that video during a background check?

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 14:23
One can hope huh? It made me feel sad too, and I have to wonder why he felt he had to do it and why not one of his buddies tried to stop him.

The interesting thing about the internet is that once a video is out there it's there for good. Odds are this idiot will be identified, once his name is liked to the video it wil haunt him for years. Can you imagine if a potential employer found that video during a background check?

Berserker
09-23-2015, 17:34
and I have to wonder why he felt he had to do it and why not one of his buddies tried to stop him.
Probably one or more of any number of mind altering substances...my guess is lots of alcohol.

Another Kevin
09-23-2015, 19:14
Famous last words: "Hey, buddy, hold my beer for a minute. Watch this!"

atraildreamer
09-24-2015, 17:18
It's OK...his name was Rocky! But seriously, it was an incredibly stupid thing to do. I heard of two men in a canoe on a lake in Maine who were attacked by a moose that swam out 1/4 mile from shore and capsized them!

Frye
09-25-2015, 10:15
Stupid yes, and I'd never do it. I don't think it's a big deal though. Doesn't look like he hurt the moose, and he was only putting himself in danger. His choice. Not like his 180 pound frame is going to harm the 1000 pound behemoth.

Maybe I'm just being naive but I don't see the reason for such outrage. I saw where some conservation officials said this was one of the worst acts of animal cruelty they've ever seen but that seems absurd for absurd.

Mouser999
09-25-2015, 11:05
The guy driving the boat and the guy with the camera should also be prosecuted. People like this should not be breeding

Traveler
09-25-2015, 13:15
Stupid yes, and I'd never do it. I don't think it's a big deal though. Doesn't look like he hurt the moose, and he was only putting himself in danger. His choice. Not like his 180 pound frame is going to harm the 1000 pound behemoth.

Maybe I'm just being naive but I don't see the reason for such outrage. I saw where some conservation officials said this was one of the worst acts of animal cruelty they've ever seen but that seems absurd for absurd.

This is one of those issues that if it has to be explained, its likely not going to be understood.

Frye
09-25-2015, 13:56
This is one of those issues that if it has to be explained, its likely not going to be understood.

Huh, no. I understand what everyone is saying. I just don't agree with it. My comment about being naive was more in the spirit of avoiding confrontation.
Next time, instead of making an asinine and disrespectful comment about my ability to comprehend an issue, just accept the fact that some people are not going to agree with what appears to be a majority opinion. (At least here.)

Christ, no wonder so many people are turned off by this forum.

Traveler
09-25-2015, 14:22
Huh, no. I understand what everyone is saying. I just don't agree with it. My comment about being naive was more in the spirit of avoiding confrontation.
Next time, instead of making an asinine and disrespectful comment about my ability to comprehend an issue, just accept the fact that some people are not going to agree with what appears to be a majority opinion. (At least here.)

Christ, no wonder so many people are turned off by this forum.

Well, let me try to explain and perhaps its not as asinine a statement as one that claims the animal wasn't harmed, as you do not know that as fact.

So, why do some people find it cruel to run down a moose crossing an open body of water with a motor boat and then leaping on its back and terrorizing the moose. Start from the top...

The moose has to cross the lake for whatever reason a moose has to cross a large open body of water. It sets out fine and reaches a third or more across the water and hears a noise. Its the boat full of boys, but the moose doesn't know its a bunch of boys looking to terrorize it, it hasn't a clue what it is, it only knowns its caught in open water. Not understanding what the noise is and starts elevating its stress level, it starts to swim faster than it normally would to reach shore. The boat approaches the moose from the back, the moose stress continues to elevate and swims faster to get away from this "thing".

Then duckweed Jim jumps on its back. The moose doesn't know its a beer filled boy and presumes its a predator and tries to shake it off while swimming faster. The moose, now in a panic is in very high stress, its snout starts going in and out of the water, interrupting its breathing as the boy is hanging on to its head acting the fool. At some point in this process the moose starts to inhale water, which causes it further panic and expend more energy to get away. The boy then clambers off, the boat picks him up. The moose, free of the weight but now nearly exhausted has half a lake to swim across. The boat, returns for another look at the moose, causing it to swim faster. The moose now moves into a higher state of panic because it knows the predator is returning an it has no defenses. The adrenaline being repeatedly surged through the moose's body now starts to damage internal organs, similar to what dogs chasing it will do on land.

The boat with the clueless boys then moves on, but the damage may be done. If nothing else, the moose has suffered a very high stress level with associated panic. So the questions are, did the moose make it across the lake or did it drown via panic fed exhaustion? Did it reach land, but the damage from the escape prove to be too much stress on the animals lungs, heart, and/or other organs to live longer than a few hours? Did the moose succumb to predation on leaving the lake due to its lack of strength from its encounter with the boys? Unfortunately, we cannot answer any of those questions with facts, opinions don't count here. Moose, like any other animal will die with high physical stress of that sort, though it may take several hours.

I made the comment not to your opinion, or perhaps lack of knowledge, to but the dismissal of why so many took a very hard stand against the event. Having seen animals die from this type of thing before, be it from people, dogs, or aircraft, its pretty clear what the boy did was wrong. I'm sorry you don't see that.

Pedaling Fool
09-25-2015, 14:37
Yeah, but later we can all sit around the camp fire drinking beer and laugh about it...

The only problem is moose generally are lightweights when it comes to drinking and they usually end-up stuck in a tree http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/09/08/sweden.drunken.moose/

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/WORLD/europe/09/08/sweden.drunken.moose/t1larg.drunken.moose.johansson.jpg

BirdBrain
09-25-2015, 14:41

Your first take was the correct one. This act is indefensible and indicative a lack of regard for anything but "fun". Those that can't grasp that are beyond reasoning with. Any explanation will be met with even more incomprehensible "logic". It is best to marginalize and move on.

Frye
09-25-2015, 15:40
You've seen animals die from this behavior before? Aircraft and dogs? What are you talking about? Pretty vague.

Ever taken a horse across a river? At least seen it? These animals aren't as weak as you'd like to think, even if it was in panic mode. I also think I made it clear that I thought it was stupid, but it's not as big of a deal as some people want to make it out to be, but that seems to be a common issue among backpackers. Mountains out of molehills.

All I've heard in this thread is that he should be prosecuted, he's probably lifted on drugs or alcohol, or even that he should be the victim of violence(How serious that last comment was I dunno). None of those solutions are the answer to the problem. It hasn't worked up till now, and it's going to continue not to work.

Frye
09-25-2015, 15:46
The moose wasn't even swimming...

Traveler
09-25-2015, 15:59
Yeah, I've seen animals run down by dogs, chased by aircraft and die of exhaustion and stress caused by that activity. Not sure what specifics you would want to have, but vague it is not. Its not at all uncommon to see and the reason there are wildlife laws that address such things. You compare this with a domesticated horse crossing a river that is used to a rider illustrates my original comment. Its illegal to harass wildlife, hence the prosecution comments, regardless how one looks at the communal umbrage making mountains out of molehills, or dismissing out of hand.

Frye
09-25-2015, 16:43
This wasn't a moose being run down by a plane, it was a moose that was walking across a shallow lake that had a man jump on it. Hardly the end of the world. As to what the law says, I'm not concerned with it, there's a legal term known as discretion that allows law enforcement officers to decide if they pursue charges against a suspect or not. In this case, a warning would suffice in my opinion.

Besides, and once again, I'm not saying nor did I ever say the behavior isn't dumb, it is. Much of the reaction towards it though falls under the same category (For the sake of ending this I'm not going to elaborate further, nor am I referring to you actually).

In the end I disagree, there's no need for us to continue this. Let's just agree to disagree. =D

BirdBrain
09-25-2015, 16:53
Moosegate.

Traveler
09-25-2015, 17:35
Moosegate.

Ha!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Kookork
09-25-2015, 19:07
Well, let me try to explain and perhaps its not as asinine a statement as one that claims the animal wasn't harmed, as you do not know that as fact.

So, why do some people find it cruel to run down a moose crossing an open body of water with a motor boat and then leaping on its back and terrorizing the moose. Start from the top...

The moose has to cross the lake for whatever reason a moose has to cross a large open body of water. It sets out fine and reaches a third or more across the water and hears a noise. Its the boat full of boys, but the moose doesn't know its a bunch of boys looking to terrorize it, it hasn't a clue what it is, it only knowns its caught in open water. Not understanding what the noise is and starts elevating its stress level, it starts to swim faster than it normally would to reach shore. The boat approaches the moose from the back, the moose stress continues to elevate and swims faster to get away from this "thing".

Then duckweed Jim jumps on its back. The moose doesn't know its a beer filled boy and presumes its a predator and tries to shake it off while swimming faster. The moose, now in a panic is in very high stress, its snout starts going in and out of the water, interrupting its breathing as the boy is hanging on to its head acting the fool. At some point in this process the moose starts to inhale water, which causes it further panic and expend more energy to get away. The boy then clambers off, the boat picks him up. The moose, free of the weight but now nearly exhausted has half a lake to swim across. The boat, returns for another look at the moose, causing it to swim faster. The moose now moves into a higher state of panic because it knows the predator is returning an it has no defenses. The adrenaline being repeatedly surged through the moose's body now starts to damage internal organs, similar to what dogs chasing it will do on land.

The boat with the clueless boys then moves on, but the damage may be done. If nothing else, the moose has suffered a very high stress level with associated panic. So the questions are, did the moose make it across the lake or did it drown via panic fed exhaustion? Did it reach land, but the damage from the escape prove to be too much stress on the animals lungs, heart, and/or other organs to live longer than a few hours? Did the moose succumb to predation on leaving the lake due to its lack of strength from its encounter with the boys? Unfortunately, we cannot answer any of those questions with facts, opinions don't count here. Moose, like any other animal will die with high physical stress of that sort, though it may take several hours.

I made the comment not to your opinion, or perhaps lack of knowledge, to but the dismissal of why so many took a very hard stand against the event. Having seen animals die from this type of thing before, be it from people, dogs, or aircraft, its pretty clear what the boy did was wrong. I'm sorry you don't see that.

The scenario:An adult moose is trying to cross a shallow lake.Why? it has been chased by a pack of wolves. The Alpha male wolf closes the gap and try to stop the moose from behind by biting the moose's back and neck area. The moose now fighting for it's life try to swim to the deeper water and manages to defend himself by swimming faster . the rest of the pack are not able to catch the alpha male and the alpha male realizing that he has a very slim chance of success abandons the chase and hunt and the moose swims out of the water and disappear in the forest.

Has this moose experienced a serious life and death situation ? Sure.

Does this moose survive to see another day. I say sure it does. I even think half an hour later the moose would be searching for a green pasture. It is the way their lives has been in the wild forever. If that was not the case we did not have this many moose in the world.

I think next time the moose would be afraid of boats more than an average moose.

Do not underestimate the strength and stamina of an animal as big as a moose. Their close relatives( rain deer ) has been used as a mean of transportation in Siberia for a long time.

Ps: I condemn the act of the guy and the one who was riding the boat and the one who was filming the incident because of disturbing the wildlife unnecessarily and just for a short period of laughter and I hope they pay for their stupidity according to the law but I am with Frye on this issue. It is not as big a deal as the media and some of us trying to make it to be.

BirdBrain
09-25-2015, 19:55
This has less to do with if the moose would survive than it does with what type of person would do such a thing. The moose surviving is not a justification. The thread now is become what kind of person would justify such an action.

Kookork
09-25-2015, 20:36
This has less to do with if the moose would survive than it does with what type of person would do such a thing. The moose surviving is not a justification. The thread now is become what kind of person would justify such an action.

I agree with you. The moose's survival does not justify his act. But thinking a moose would possibly be permanently hurt (or terrorized for life !!!) for what the guy did to it is stretching the situation.

I think social media has its good and bad side. Nowadays somebody uploads a stupid video, then some people finds it disturbing and condemn the act, then a wave of condemnation arises and we think every single person have to condemn the act to the extent the others have done previously or people think he/she is cruel or uneducated or ignorant as the guy that has done the stupid act in the first place.

Frye clearly said he thinks the guy is stupid but he said the uproar does not match with the reaction and punishment some people are desiring for the stupid guy. I am with Frye .

Pedaling Fool
09-26-2015, 07:54
Any one know if this dude got prosecuted, much worst than the what the idiot in the OP did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVkaMqD5mI

Frye
09-26-2015, 08:35

So a persons character should be the main deciding factor in their punishment?... In that case I can think of a lot of people who should be locked away for life.

Thankfully we live in a free society where this isn't the accepted norm.

Just sayin'

BirdBrain
09-26-2015, 08:43
So a persons character should be the main deciding factor in their punishment?... In that case I can think of a lot of people who should be locked away for life.

Thankfully we live in a free society where this isn't the accepted norm.

Just sayin'

I said nothing about punishment. Pause and let that sink in for a moment.

A fly is only a fly. It takes a freak to sit there and rip their wings off for pleasure. Should the freak be locked up? No. He is a freak none the less. I am not a person that loves animals more than people. I am a person that thinks that people harassing animals for sport are morons. I don't desire to be Solomon and mete out any punishment. You have succeeded in getting me to respond. Since you succeeded I will be provocative too. Laws are created for the lawless and only morons require a law that carries a penalty for jumping on the back of a swimming moose. Cases like this provoke me to the respect I have for authorities. It is why it is my kneejerk reaction to give deference to them every time. They have to deal with idiots arguing if this type of act is wrong. It is like debating with a 3 year old.

Okay. The floor is yours. I am putting the thread on ignore. Feel free to continue with your lunacy. I give you the last word. That sort of thing is very important to people that think that obtuse reasoning screamed the loudest wins.

rocketsocks
09-26-2015, 09:04
Any one know if this dude got prosecuted, much worst than the what the idiot in the OP did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVkaMqD5mI
Yup, the hard to look at dirty little secrets that no one talks about at party's...bears gotta eat to. Birds are pretty brutal too.

Pedaling Fool
09-26-2015, 09:33
...Birds are pretty brutal too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirHPVxSMgc

Frye
09-26-2015, 13:22
I said nothing about punishment. Pause and let that sink in for a moment.

A fly is only a fly. It takes a freak to sit there and rip their wings off for pleasure. Should the freak be locked up? No. He is a freak none the less. I am not a person that loves animals more than people. I am a person that thinks that people harassing animals for sport are morons. I don't desire to be Solomon and mete out any punishment. You have succeeded in getting me to respond. Since you succeeded I will be provocative too. Laws are created for the lawless and only morons require a law that carries a penalty for jumping on the back of a swimming moose. Cases like this provoke me to the respect I have for authorities. It is why it is my kneejerk reaction to give deference to them every time. They have to deal with idiots arguing if this type of act is wrong. It is like debating with a 3 year old.

Okay. The floor is yours. I am putting the thread on ignore. Feel free to continue with your lunacy. I give you the last word. That sort of thing is very important to people that think that obtuse reasoning screamed the loudest wins.

The moose wasn't swimming! :banana

cconat2000
09-26-2015, 18:32
There was an old saying about bear baiting to the effect that people opposed it not for what it did to the bear, but for what it did to the person. I think that's what's happening here. People are upset not because there is any apparent harm to the moose - there is none at all, and comments about its stress level make that obvious - but because they are offended by the attitude of the morons in the boat. They're acting like idiots, but I can't imagine that's prosecutable. Maybe there's some kind of a minor citation for harassing wildlife, I don't know.

But I think the reaction on the forum is partly due to the sentimental, naive attitude of many of my fellow backpackers (and modern folks generally) that nature is pristine, peaceful and inherently morally superior to mankind. It is not, it is actually "red in tooth and claw", and those jackasses in the boat are almost certainly less destructive or cruel, and kinder and more sensitive, by any objective standard, than the moose is.

They're still jackasses, though.

Kaptainkriz
09-26-2015, 21:13
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/09/26/florida-woman-riding-sea-turtle-social-media-arrested/72877054/

Traveler
09-26-2015, 21:43
The moose wasn't swimming! :banana

It wasn't swimming when the boys ran up to it in a boat and chased it into deep water. If you watch the video, when the boy jumps on the moose, its head is submerged. Were it shallow water, it wouldn't be. You can argue the facts, you just can't have your own.

Traveler
09-26-2015, 22:05
There was an old saying about bear baiting to the effect that people opposed it not for what it did to the bear, but for what it did to the person. I think that's what's happening here. People are upset not because there is any apparent harm to the moose - there is none at all, and comments about its stress level make that obvious - but because they are offended by the attitude of the morons in the boat. They're acting like idiots, but I can't imagine that's prosecutable. Maybe there's some kind of a minor citation for harassing wildlife, I don't know.

Its a crime to harass wildlife, depending on the State it can be either a misdemeanor with a fine of $500 per person involved, or it could be several thousands of dollars with court appearances involved. Most all States have made it illegal to harass wildlife. I would think most people would know that, frankly. There are several reasons why it is, for protection of wild animals who can be damaged by harassment, and the increased potential that animals can harm people or property as they are being harassed.

Canada has slightly stricter laws on this kind of thing, as reported by the National News about an event similar to this that happened in Ontario,

"In 2013, a similar incident in Ontario offered two men a hard lesson in the potentially high price of animal harassment. They were fined a total of $2,500 after being captured on film using a boat to repeatedly circle a cow moose swimming in a northwestern Ontario lake. One man then leapt onto moose, prompting the animal to flee into the woods but causing no lasting injury.Animals could injure others or even die themselves when put under unnecessary stress, Forsdick said.
The most recent video was hard for him to watch, he said, because of the likely emotional impact on the animal."