PDA

View Full Version : GA section hike - Neel's Gap to GA/NC border

jcollier1971
09-23-2015, 10:55
Will start Friday morning to hike Neel's Gap to GA/NC border. In the spring I only stayed in shelter once, but it looks like rain (20-30%) this time around so shelters may be best choice. I had planned on using a hammock with rain fly this time around rather than tent. Some questions:
1. What is the traffic on the GA section like this time of year?
2. Do all shelters have anchors inside for hammocks? One shelter did in the lower section, it was empty so my friend was able to hang his hammock.
3. With rain expected ... tent or hammock, any preference or smarter choice?
4. Here in Mississippi we get a lot of forecasts for rain in summer, but they are really spotty showers that don't last long. And some days we don't see anything. Is it the same in North Georgia this time of year?
Thanks. Jeff.

ChrisJackson
09-23-2015, 11:00
I don't think the GATC is putting hammock anchors in shelters...those were likely pack hangs. April will be busy busy. Probably frequent but short periods of rain. I'd go hammock before tent.

LittleRock
09-23-2015, 11:12
Will start Friday morning to hike Neel's Gap to GA/NC border. In the spring I only stayed in shelter once, but it looks like rain (20-30%) this time around so shelters may be best choice. I had planned on using a hammock with rain fly this time around rather than tent. Some questions:
1. What is the traffic on the GA section like this time of year?
2. Do all shelters have anchors inside for hammocks? One shelter did in the lower section, it was empty so my friend was able to hang his hammock.
3. With rain expected ... tent or hammock, any preference or smarter choice?
4. Here in Mississippi we get a lot of forecasts for rain in summer, but they are really spotty showers that don't last long. And some days we don't see anything. Is it the same in North Georgia this time of year?
Thanks. Jeff.

1. Pretty low traffic in general. Might be a little more crowded on the weekends but nothing like thru season.
2. Don't know but you shouldn't be hanging inside the shelters anyway.
3. Either will be fine as long as you have appropriate rain accessories.
4. You could get full days of soaking rain, spotty thunderstorms, both, or neither. Prepare accordingly.

slbirdnerd
09-23-2015, 11:51
Agree, you shouldn't hang in the shelters. Having said that, ran into a guy holed up due to a knee injury who was hanging in a shelter and I could forgive something like that (it poured for days). I like my hammock better in the rain in terms of staying dry, but for set up in the rain I prefer my tent (cuben, goes up in seconds). I'm not sure where "April" came from guys, the hiker is starting this Friday so it's fall weather. It's my understanding it should be pretty nice this time of year.

Check www.atweather.org for a shelter by shelter forecast.

ChrisJackson
09-23-2015, 12:06
Agree, you shouldn't hang in the shelters. Having said that, ran into a guy holed up due to a knee injury who was hanging in a shelter and I could forgive something like that (it poured for days). I like my hammock better in the rain in terms of staying dry, but for set up in the rain I prefer my tent (cuben, goes up in seconds). I'm not sure where "April" came from guys, the hiker is starting this Friday so it's fall weather. It's my understanding it should be pretty nice this time of year.

Check www.atweather.org (http://www.atweather.org) for a shelter by shelter forecast.

Good catch, strange...I don't know where "April" came from either. Too much cough syrup in the mornings...agree with LittleRock, traffic won't be much at all...with more on the weekend days...I saw about eight or ten people last weekend between Unicoi and Deep...week days you might see one or two others.

cneill13
09-23-2015, 12:10
Don't tent or hammock in shelters, period. You might get away with it but to me it is arrogant, selfish and wimpish.

Also, an umbrella is perfect for hiking in the type of rain we are currently having in Georgia. Short but intense showers.

Have fun. Great hiking weather regardless of rain.

jcollier1971
09-23-2015, 17:49
Thanks for the replies and helpful do's and don'ts.