PDA

View Full Version : dollar tree alcohol stove fuel

bnolsen
09-23-2015, 12:00
Just heads up. Yesterday I saw SMB brand gas line antifreeze on the shelves at a local dollar tree. Picked up a couple of bottles, ran a test burn and it's good stuff (very similar to HEET). Time to stock up if you can find it! I may grab more bottles myself.

http://www.dollartree.com/Seasonal-Holidays/auto-care-maintenance/SMB-Gas-Line-Antifreezer-and-Water-Remover-12-oz-Bottles/1248c551c551p344567/index.pro?method=search

BirdBrain
09-23-2015, 12:33
Trying to confirm ingredients. Trying to find MSDS. If this is methanol, I am headed for the store.

bnolsen
09-23-2015, 16:18
Yes it does have the warning label on back about methyl alcohol contents. Bottles are at home so I can't photo the back at the moment.

BirdBrain
09-23-2015, 16:28
I am finding blog posts that say there are additives that make it run poorly and stinky. You have tried it. Any smell? I am more curious about what the additives are. All the posts I have seen confirm that methanol is in it.

bnolsen
09-23-2015, 18:21
I noticed a very very slight odor to it, one I didn't notice with heet. it still burned pretty cleanly though. I don't have a thermometer to do exact testing but I was able to use 20ml of this fuel to get 2 cups of room temp water to just get to a boil. Similar to my experience with HEET. I primarily use a carbon felt + potted meat + tomato paste fancee feest stove.

Dollar tree sells multiple other SMB branded fuel additives like fuel injector cleaner, gas cleaner, etc. that need to be avoided.

Kookork
09-23-2015, 23:03
I've used it . It burns clean and blue but the odor of burning makes it not safe to be used in a closed environment like a hut or a shelter . In open space it works as good as HEET if you avoid the smell of burning.

bikebum1975
09-28-2015, 15:52
Hmmm thanks for the heads up now to see if the one in town has it low on fuel anyways

bnolsen
10-01-2015, 00:03
The bottle is 11oz not 12oz. And its been working the same for me. I only noticed the slight odor when pouring into the stove, but not while burning.