PDA

View Full Version : Could use some general help regarding the AT please?

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 14:12
A couple of you on here have mentioned that you have a lot of public trail experience, especially on the AT and said you felt you could offer me some help if I needed it and asked, this is me asking.

I am thru hiking the AT. It has been a lifelong dream, number one on my bucket list, number two is the Oregon Trail by horseback. It will be a solo hike. I am writing a book on it too.

Maybe this could of been under food or locations in the AT section but for me it is combined. I could not find where it was combined per se so my apologies if I am in error on here.

Let me give you a little background, I am truly a creature of solitude. I have extensive hiking experience, I have no problem hiking long distances and being out for long periods of time. The typical places I hike are remote and most would consider unsafe, which is actually not true but because of where they are people assume that. Anyway, as I said, I am out there where it is fairly remote and little socialization. Every now and then I run across a ranger, fellow hermit or researcher and we typically chat for around five minutes. So my public trail experience is probably a lot than most of you on here.

I am not a person who likes people and let's face it, most do not like me. I am brutally honest to a huge fault, not exactly most people's cup of tea and honestly I don't know how to quit or not fight when I think it's important. My family, spouse and friends call me the wild mountain hermit lady. So what does my editor do? Have me hIke a social trail and write a book on it. Because you know someone like me is great at making friends, look how well I have done on here. :) Please do not recommend going another time, my editor is pretty set on that.

Now for what I need help on:

I need to find locations for my resupplies while I am on the AT that are on the AT or very close to the AT. I prefer no post offices unless they really are super close to the AT. I am truly a creature of solitude. I am not interested in the towns, my focus is the trail and the people on it. Not what they do in the towns, plenty of books tell you that already. Besides the further from towns I am the more in my element I will be.
I do plan on staying at a few hostels here and there, I will either rent a private room if possible or just do laundry, shower and then sleep in the tent.

One town I will be going into is Damascus for Trail Days. Editors forcing that and my spouse will be flying in so we can see each other. So any recommendations for us to stay that will give us some privacy but let my spouse experience all that trail days has to offer would be highly appreciated. An idea on where most people fly in and rent cars would be extra nice.

The other issue is food. Yes once upon a time I was chef, but I am retired. I do the cooking in our home, because I still love to cook, but rarely eat any of it. I have a medical condition where my body does not digest food well, and no its not bariatric surgery related, for some reason everyone thinks that. I have not had that surgery so please no comments about that.

Food is plain and simple used as fuel for me. My typical diet consists of softer food that are easily digestible like smoothies, protein drinks, cream or wheat, oatmeal, malt of meal, soups, occasional sandwiches, tuna, glucernas, but most of all freeze dried foods. I can eat steaks, fresh veggies and things of that nature provided I want to have a few days in the hospital.

Some days are better than others but I tend to be very diet conscious. Hammer nutrition is my biggest staple, their products typically give me the nutrients I find myself lacking because of my condition. Their gels give me some of my biggest calories and the easiest things to digest. It would be nice to have more options available to me, so if you know of some thing I would be really grateful. I am primarily depending on my food drops at my resupplies for my food. I also use food pellets that a local survivors store sells. 12 usually provides you with the food you need to live, I digest those well too but thought I would mention them upfront to save anyone from mentioning them to save time.

I only carry a Esbit stove with fuel tabs, I only use one fuel tablet per day, I cut it in half and it brings my water to a boil for my freeze dried foods around seven minutes. I do not carry a lunch kit, most of my food cooks in their containers of foil so I use the Stanley metal container to boil my water for them. I have a stir spoon and eating spork with one cup for coffee. That is it. I prefer to try and keep within these parameters as weight is important to me.

Alcohol of any kind is not a factor for me as I do not drink, my body does not tolerate alcohol well so please no alcohol suggested foods. Cannot tolerate Lactose well, but will if no other option. Seeds, nuts and things of that nature have to be few and far between and very crushed. But man do I love them, sadly my body does not. Rice cooked very well done is a staple for me.

Taste is not such a big deal, at this point in my life I have learned food is important as fuel rather than satisfying my taste buds.

Thank you to everyone who responds I do appreciate any feedback.

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 14:17
Sorry meant to say my public trail experience is probably a lot LESS than most of you on here at the end of my fourth paragraph.

White Shimmer
09-23-2015, 14:48

I am watching this thread with excitement and a flourish of envy! GLWATH!

Slo-go'en
09-23-2015, 14:53
If you have specific dietary requirements you are stuck doing mail drops. You kind of eliminated 99% of what most thru hikers eat.

Many locations other then the post office can be used for mail drops. Some of them charge a fee for this unless your an overnight guest. And if they don't you should tip them anyway for the service if you don't stay. All this information is contained in the AWOL AT Guide or the ATC companion. One or the other or both should be obtained as soon as possible.

There is also the risk you box can be misplaced or even stolen if sent to a non-post office location. So there are trade offs to consider in doing mail drops. It can also become expensive due to all the postage and you need someone to manage the mailings for you. You can't simply send out 100 boxes at once (they will only be held for 30 days).

I seriously doubt you will be passing by many towns. The allure of town is strong, very strong. Especially after 4 days of rain or cold or snow or heat or just because it's been 4 days...

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 16:08
I do have both guides, not always do they tell how far some place is from the trail, especially the bigger towns. Which is why I had to resort to calling places and ask how far from the AT they were. Found a few so far but got a long way to go....lol
I do have someone mailing drops to me, my spouse, a job they are already used to and are very good at.
I know a lot for people are interested in the towns, not saying i won'the go into them, but if I do it would be for resupply and very rare occasion. I do not understand the purpose of hiking a trail if you spend all your time in towns is all but that is me. I am a loner. I am used to being all alone and prefer it, four days of crappy weather is not new to me and definitely not reason for me to go into town. I do understand that it is for most though.
Thanks for the info about how long they hold the postage, every area is different and the guides have been saying two weeks but others had said thirty days too.
I appreciate the response and good info you gave, thanks.

If you have specific dietary requirements you are stuck doing mail drops. You kind of eliminated 99% of what most thru hikers eat.

Many locations other then the post office can be used for mail drops. Some of them charge a fee for this unless your an overnight guest. And if they don't you should tip them anyway for the service if you don't stay. All this information is contained in the AWOL AT Guide or the ATC companion. One or the other or both should be obtained as soon as possible.

There is also the risk you box can be misplaced or even stolen if sent to a non-post office location. So there are trade offs to consider in doing mail drops. It can also become expensive due to all the postage and you need someone to manage the mailings for you. You can't simply send out 100 boxes at once (they will only be held for 30 days).

I seriously doubt you will be passing by many towns. The allure of town is strong, very strong. Especially after 4 days of rain or cold or snow or heat or just because it's been 4 days...

Lone Wolf
09-23-2015, 16:13
A couple of you on here have mentioned that you have a lot of public trail experience, especially on the AT and said you felt you could offer me some help if I needed it and asked, this is me asking.

I am thru hiking the AT. It has been a lifelong dream, number one on my bucket list, number two is the Oregon Trail by horseback. It will be a solo hike. I am writing a book on it too.

Maybe this could of been under food or locations in the AT section but for me it is combined. I could not find where it was combined per se so my apologies if I am in error on here.

Let me give you a little background, I am truly a creature of solitude. I have extensive hiking experience, I have no problem hiking long distances and being out for long periods of time. The typical places I hike are remote and most would consider unsafe, which is actually not true but because of where they are people assume that. Anyway, as I said, I am out there where it is fairly remote and little socialization. Every now and then I run across a ranger, fellow hermit or researcher and we typically chat for around five minutes. So my public trail experience is probably a lot than most of you on here.

I am not a person who likes people and let's face it, most do not like me. I am brutally honest to a huge fault, not exactly most people's cup of tea and honestly I don't know how to quit or not fight when I think it's important. My family, spouse and friends call me the wild mountain hermit lady. So what does my editor do? Have me hIke a social trail and write a book on it. Because you know someone like me is great at making friends, look how well I have done on here. :) Please do not recommend going another time, my editor is pretty set on that.

Now for what I need help on:

I need to find locations for my resupplies while I am on the AT that are on the AT or very close to the AT. I prefer no post offices unless they really are super close to the AT. I am truly a creature of solitude. I am not interested in the towns, my focus is the trail and the people on it. Not what they do in the towns, plenty of books tell you that already. Besides the further from towns I am the more in my element I will be.
I do plan on staying at a few hostels here and there, I will either rent a private room if possible or just do laundry, shower and then sleep in the tent.

One town I will be going into is Damascus for Trail Days. Editors forcing that and my spouse will be flying in so we can see each other. So any recommendations for us to stay that will give us some privacy but let my spouse experience all that trail days has to offer would be highly appreciated. An idea on where most people fly in and rent cars would be extra nice.

The other issue is food. Yes once upon a time I was chef, but I am retired. I do the cooking in our home, because I still love to cook, but rarely eat any of it. I have a medical condition where my body does not digest food well, and no its not bariatric surgery related, for some reason everyone thinks that. I have not had that surgery so please no comments about that.

Food is plain and simple used as fuel for me. My typical diet consists of softer food that are easily digestible like smoothies, protein drinks, cream or wheat, oatmeal, malt of meal, soups, occasional sandwiches, tuna, glucernas, but most of all freeze dried foods. I can eat steaks, fresh veggies and things of that nature provided I want to have a few days in the hospital.

Some days are better than others but I tend to be very diet conscious. Hammer nutrition is my biggest staple, their products typically give me the nutrients I find myself lacking because of my condition. Their gels give me some of my biggest calories and the easiest things to digest. It would be nice to have more options available to me, so if you know of some thing I would be really grateful. I am primarily depending on my food drops at my resupplies for my food. I also use food pellets that a local survivors store sells. 12 usually provides you with the food you need to live, I digest those well too but thought I would mention them upfront to save anyone from mentioning them to save time.

I only carry a Esbit stove with fuel tabs, I only use one fuel tablet per day, I cut it in half and it brings my water to a boil for my freeze dried foods around seven minutes. I do not carry a lunch kit, most of my food cooks in their containers of foil so I use the Stanley metal container to boil my water for them. I have a stir spoon and eating spork with one cup for coffee. That is it. I prefer to try and keep within these parameters as weight is important to me.

Alcohol of any kind is not a factor for me as I do not drink, my body does not tolerate alcohol well so please no alcohol suggested foods. Cannot tolerate Lactose well, but will if no other option. Seeds, nuts and things of that nature have to be few and far between and very crushed. But man do I love them, sadly my body does not. Rice cooked very well done is a staple for me.

Taste is not such a big deal, at this point in my life I have learned food is important as fuel rather than satisfying my taste buds.

Thank you to everyone who responds I do appreciate any feedback.

if you ain't into people, stay away from the AT. seriously. you sound like a miserable person

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 16:14
I give up, what does GLWATH mean?

I am watching this thread with excitement and a flourish of envy! GLWATH!

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 16:17
Well gee thanks buddy. :) I think most people on here would agree with you.

if you ain't into people, stay away from the AT. seriously. you sound like a miserable person

Water Rat
09-23-2015, 16:32
AWOL's guide does a pretty accurate job of letting the reader know how far a town is from the trail. Have you checked out the AT Resupply list on the "Home/Articles" page of this forum? It gives an idea of how many days between resupplies...as well as what towns are recommended for resupplying. I suggest printing that out to help you create a spreadsheet based on your personal choices (which towns you want to skip, how many days food you want to carry, etc).

If you already do a fair amount of hiking, then you most likely know what works best for your body (amounts, calories, types of foods). It sounds like you might be best off sticking with what works and doing mail drops. Outside of post offices, many hostels and hiker-friendly hotels will accept mail drops. That makes it a bit easier to pick up your package on your time, rather than having to deal with post office hours. AWOL's Guide talks about many of these additional options.

You mention that your editor is adamant that you do the AT, but I am wondering - Does it have to be a NoBo hike? Would a SoBo journey, or flip-flop hike be an option? You would still encounter people on the trail, but these would offer more solitude.

White Shimmer
09-23-2015, 16:57
I give up, what does GLWATH mean?
Good luck with (your) Appalachian Trail hike!

Dogwood
09-23-2015, 17:14
Palease, consider toning down the self pity and self deprecation. You're strongly opinionated, sometimes harshly so. Possibly "difficult"...so what. Good. Combining exhibiting these attributes in rapid fire fashion makes me feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster... fun for awhile but eventually making me want to get off the ride. Because you elicit controversy or take very debatable stances that's OK... possibly even good! Sometimes, that makes us think more widely or consider approaches not yet considered. However, to stir up controversy for the sake of controversy with no other ultimate positive goal or resolution or little to no substantial forward progress achieved is....??? You're new here too so learning you're way around.

Check out the Resupply Articles here on WB. You may want to review the AT thru-hikers data book as well as there is much good resupply info in that.

Stubby
09-23-2015, 17:21
Does your editor require a certain time of the year? I've so far only done about 200 miles of sections in the lower 3 states of the trail, I can tell you that the AT is not a solitary type of place.
There was one father's day I did a day hike with my son, and we only saw one person all day. That was the exception.
On most any day from april to october, the lower 3 are going to have people. the shelters will have people. You'll see at LEAST a dozen people a day on the weekends, maybe 2 or 3 dozen, depending one where you are and time of year.

That said, in the winter, there are a lot fewer people. As in, only you'll see a few people all day. Shelters will often be empty. And cold isn't all that cold in the lower 3 states... 15 degrees and snowing was the coldest I did, and I was warm in a 20 degree bag with a cheap bag liner, my clothes and a warm hat, in a tent. Ok, I had a hot hands... a luxury I appreciated.

If I was trying to thru hike and avoid people, I would probably do a flip flop... start in WV in July and go north, then go back to WV and go south.

If a flip flop is unappealing or out, then I'd do it SOBO, and start in July.

wannahike
09-23-2015, 17:42
Maybe you should chat with your editor about some money for a researcher. :) I second the re-supply articles on the front/home page. Also maybe read some trail journals at http://www.trailjournals.com/ or http://postholer.com/.
Also you will be in between the largest age groups hiking, the younger just out of high school and college and the older retirees so maybe you won't have to talk to so many people.
I do think that meeting all the different people on the trail is a fun part of hiking and it's how you learn what's up ahead, water sources, trail magic, great views.

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 17:44
I am trying to get the editor to consider a Sobo hike because for me the less people the better but her intent is the more people I encounter the better. We will see. Flip flop definitely out, they prefer more of the direction Shaffer took but like I said I am working on them.
Yeah I like Awols guide a lot, it is more compact and came with a heavier plastic ziplock bag. Some areas he is good at saying it is this far from town but not trail. It seems to only be when encountering bigger towns though, but maybe I am misreading it. I am going back over it again. I like it compared to the bulky one from the ATC. But it fills in on some areas that Awols does not.
I appreciate the info on the home/article section here, that is the next one I am going to look at and print off. Thanks a big bunch for that!

AWOL's guide does a pretty accurate job of letting the reader know how far a town is from the trail. Have you checked out the AT Resupply list on the "Home/Articles" page of this forum? It gives an idea of how many days between resupplies...as well as what towns are recommended for resupplying. I suggest printing that out to help you create a spreadsheet based on your personal choices (which towns you want to skip, how many days food you want to carry, etc).

If you already do a fair amount of hiking, then you most likely know what works best for your body (amounts, calories, types of foods). It sounds like you might be best off sticking with what works and doing mail drops. Outside of post offices, many hostels and hiker-friendly hotels will accept mail drops. That makes it a bit easier to pick up your package on your time, rather than having to deal with post office hours. AWOL's Guide talks about many of these additional options.

You mention that your editor is adamant that you do the AT, but I am wondering - Does it have to be a NoBo hike? Would a SoBo journey, or flip-flop hike be an option? You would still encounter people on the trail, but these would offer more solitude.

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 17:44
Ahhh,got it. Thanks!

Good luck with (your) Appalachian Trail hike!

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 17:51
Self pity? Self deprecating? Geez thought I was being funny. I am sorry.
Are you saying you think this post is also controversial and purposely so? Just asking for clarification is all.
Thanks.

Palease, consider toning down the self pity and self deprecation. You're strongly opinionated, sometimes harshly so. Possibly "difficult"...so what. Good. Combining exhibiting these attributes in rapid fire fashion makes me feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster... fun for awhile but eventually making me want to get off the ride. Because you elicit controversy or take very debatable stances that's OK... possibly even good! Sometimes, that makes us think more widely or consider approaches not yet considered. However, to stir up controversy for the sake of controversy with no other ultimate positive goal or resolution or little to no substantial forward progress achieved is....??? You're new here too so learning you're way around.

Check out the Resupply Articles here on WB. You may want to review the AT thru-hikers data book as well as there is much good resupply info in that.

scrabbler
09-23-2015, 17:52
"Hi Ya'll, give me some free help to do my job."

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 17:55
I used to be a researcher for some of their other writers, it's how this job fell into my lap. It is a great way to make some extra cash in retirement. Yeah the idea of the home articles thing is awesome, working on that one next, very excited to see what it shows.
Thanks for your response and help!

Maybe you should chat with your editor about some money for a researcher. :) I second the re-supply articles on the front/home page. Also maybe read some trail journals at http://www.trailjournals.com/ or http://postholer.com/.
Also you will be in between the largest age groups hiking, the younger just out of high school and college and the older retirees so maybe you won't have to talk to so many people.
I do think that meeting all the different people on the trail is a fun part of hiking and it's how you learn what's up ahead, water sources, trail magic, great views.

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 17:59
Yeah the editor said first of March or as close to that as possible. And for now, NoBo beginning at Springer. I think a flip flop sounds pretty cool though, from what I have read, a great way to avoid bugs and stuff. I am working on the possibility of it being SoBo though.
Thanks for responding.

Does your editor require a certain time of the year? I've so far only done about 200 miles of sections in the lower 3 states of the trail, I can tell you that the AT is not a solitary type of place.
There was one father's day I did a day hike with my son, and we only saw one person all day. That was the exception.
On most any day from april to october, the lower 3 are going to have people. the shelters will have people. You'll see at LEAST a dozen people a day on the weekends, maybe 2 or 3 dozen, depending one where you are and time of year.

That said, in the winter, there are a lot fewer people. As in, only you'll see a few people all day. Shelters will often be empty. And cold isn't all that cold in the lower 3 states... 15 degrees and snowing was the coldest I did, and I was warm in a 20 degree bag with a cheap bag liner, my clothes and a warm hat, in a tent. Ok, I had a hot hands... a luxury I appreciated.

If I was trying to thru hike and avoid people, I would probably do a flip flop... start in WV in July and go north, then go back to WV and go south.

If a flip flop is unappealing or out, then I'd do it SOBO, and start in July.

John B
09-23-2015, 18:00
If you don't want to go into towns for resupply and you don't want to use mail drops, then where exactly did you think you could get food, particularly "Hammer nutrition"?

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 18:06
I am sorry, I meant to be clearer, I like the maildrops, just not at post offices. So far I have been selecting hostels close or on the trail. Speaking with them on the phone and working that out has been good thus far but still planning and was just hoping for some input in case I overlook something.

If you don't want to go into towns for resupply and you don't want to use mail drops, then where exactly did you think you could get food, particularly "Hammer nutrition"?

Uncle Joe
09-23-2015, 18:45
Are you saying you think this post is also controversial and purposely so? Just asking for clarification is all.
Thanks.

Yeah the humor didn't come off. Good to hear, though. I was thinking, "If she's that off-putting, why does her editor want her encountering more people?"

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 19:05
I think I got all the info I need.
Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate all the suggestions, advice and what not.
God bless and happy trails.

Dogwood
09-23-2015, 19:23
Thanks.

FWIW, IMHO you lighted up some. Surely, this partly had to do with the topics of the other two threads where we engaged some back and forth. I sense a friendlier less confrontational attitude which I know something personal about as I've taken that route more times than I probably should have. I still stub my toe doing that at times when not needed. IMHO, some slight adjustments in our behavior or how we communicate can pay off in huge ways like connecting with others more easily. And further FWIW, I like being challenged while constraining myself to stay positive. IMHO, you have a lot to positively contribute. I, for one, welcome you to WB. Like your User name too. Wanna share how that name came about?

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 19:52
What does FWIW mean?
I am guessing the other means in my honest opinion? (IMHO)

Have you read Earl Shaffer's book? He speaks of finally buying a spoon to eat with while on the trail, when he does just a short time later he finds what he considers a nicer spoon. He was in the Smokies at the time and decided he liked it better. He named it his Smoky Spoon.

A lot of people read his book, but because most do not consider him as charismagic a writer as say David Miller or Bill Bryson or Cheryl Strayed they start skimming and more often than not miss that part. I actually read every word, I am one of the nerdy people who is a speed reader and retains almost everything they read. (Think Dr. Spencer Reed character on Criminal Minds)

LMAO, my spouse just said that right about now light bulbs are probably going off in your head and you are having a, "ah that makes a lot of sense, now I understand her better" moment. As you can see I am about as sociable as him too. Not being self deprecating here, just stating a fact okay?

How did you choose yours?

White Shimmer
09-23-2015, 19:53
For what it's worth

and

In my humble opinion

FlyFishNut
09-23-2015, 20:43
So, is your editor trying to put you in sociable situations b/c she knows it will not go well.... and then wants you to write about it? Sounds like a written reality TV show!

Lone Wolf
09-23-2015, 20:48
gonna be a sh...y book. my opinion. AT books are a dime a dozen. this girl has no passion for it

Venchka
09-23-2015, 21:01
Laughing Heart Hostel & Inn. Literally on the AT at Hot Springs, NC. Contact them for mail drop & private room.
The AT runs through the middle of Hot Springs. It's a shame you won't be able to enjoy the town. You might want to interview some of the local trail focused business owners. Bluff Mountain Outfitters and the Hardware store on the same side of the street come to mind.
Have fun.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

The Phoenix
09-23-2015, 21:05
The trail will soften you up... you are not terminally unique. The trail has all sorts out there and I'm sure you will meet a fair share that you want to get the hell away from and your fair share that will become good friends.

I'm a guy that values my solitude too. I have spent weeks on end exploring slot canyons all over Southern Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, etc... and love not seeing a soul for many moons... but even after seeing a lot of the best the West has to offer... I will always place the AT on top of my personal hiking pedestal.

I met a gal who was gun-ho on doing a "marathon hike" every day... 26.2 miles or more. She came across a group of hikers in Southern Virginia, after blazing thru GA-NC/TN and was getting ready to notch another goal off of her extreme bucket list... and then the AT got her. She lightened up a bit, let her guard down a bit, and suddenly... she was having fun! A novel idea... and she ended up slowing down to a steady/enjoyable pace.

Not saying it's all warm and fuzzy, I have yet to see the entire trail hold hands and sing Kumbaya... but if he open your mind just a bit... the AT will get ya!

Like I said... I'm takin bets.

The Phoenix
09-23-2015, 21:09
Like I said... I'm takin bets.

Sorry, I deleted part of this message. I could ramble on a bit more, but long story short... I'll take some bets that you change your tune a bit out there. If you go from GA to ME and still feel the same way... :confused:... Then I suppose you will be the ultimate Eeyore of the AT.

rotorbrent
09-23-2015, 21:21
Just hire some interns to drive all over the eastern states to get your diet specific items and leave them and the cases of batteries at trail crossing. Should be no issue for your editor since OMG your being forced to go to "Trail Days" .

Kenai
09-23-2015, 23:27
I have been reading your posts, as I check out the new posts, every day. Is this part of your plan for a plot line? Miscreant poster ticks off everyone she can on WB. Hits the trail, and ticks off everyone she encounters there. Finally gets what hiking the AT is all about, and embraces the trail, and all the people on it, as she comes to terms with her deep seated issues with the human race?
Only way it will be a good read. I seriously hope that is what happens for you.

Dogwood
09-24-2015, 00:42
I got my trail name differently depending on who you ask. Some of my playfully funny hiking friends intending some sarcasm say my trail name reminds them of an erect dog's penis. Sorry, but I'm still having flashbacks of all the vibrators I've seen although this is true. Then, I have to remind them it's because on the AT I started being known as one who could identify virtually every plant, flower, and tree, if it was edible, medicinal purposes, etc. Hikers started asking about all the white and pink flowered trees they were seeing. Most times what they were seeing were American Dogwoods(Cornus florida) in flower. So hikers started calling me that. It stuck. Funny thing is the American Dogwood(Cornus florida) has always been one of my Top 10 Native N. America small flowering trees. Also, despite the terrible sounding name Dogwood-Cornus florida has a wide range of positive beautiful attributes including it's four seasons of interests, IF you can get by it's up front faults and see it's potential....umm, just like me. :D

Dogwood
09-24-2015, 00:45
I didn't read all of Schaeffer's book...I did exactly as you said. I don't recall the Smoky Spoon parts.
:datz

Venchka
09-24-2015, 08:44
Mountain Harbor Hostel / B&B. ~1/4 mile off trail on the same side of the highway as the trail. Shuttle service available to/from Tri-Cities Airport.

http://www.mountainharbour.net/

By the way, if this was not mentioned earlier, Tri-Cities Airport in Johnson City, TN is the closest airport to Damascus, VA. Car rental, hotels, city services available. You might want to book a room in Damascus now for Trail Days.

A thought: You can shop at Walmart online and have items shipped free to a store for pickup. You might be surprised by the selection of foods offered online that you might never find on the shelf at Walmart. Example: Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry freeze dried food. I think you said that you could tolerate some freeze dried food. Armed with Google Maps & the Walmart store locator you could find stores convenient to the AT. I know there is one in Franklin, NC which is an easy hitch or arranged shuttle to/from the AT. You could save ~$16/USPS large priority mail box in postage.

Wayne

plexusbritt
09-24-2015, 09:21
I like you lol you kinda remind me of one of my good friends. We don't talk much. Kayak together but generally about .25 miles apart and then make camp in companionable silence.

[emoji4] I know you don't seem to like people but I could see the trail atmosphere being welcome after a while. Good thing about trail folks, if someone is hiking in silence, that is generally going to be respected.

I'll be following your thread here and hope to hear about your adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
09-24-2015, 10:26
I like to hike alone. That way I can set my own pace and decide when and where to take breaks.

I like to sit and enjoy a scenic vista alone. That way I can reflect on the view without distractions.

But at the end of the day, I like to hang out with other hikers at the shelter or campsite. That way I can feel part of a community and you can meet some very interesting people along the way.

Just Bill
09-24-2015, 10:41
Smokey- for you or anyone pursuing easier resupply- consider reading the speed hiking forums, or specifically buying Matt Kirk's book.
Since no hitching is part of an FKT, there's been a fairly good bit of effort put into identifying resupplies close to the trail- both private and Post Office options.

Rolling into town at odd hours, avoiding distractions, and getting out quickly is pretty well part of an FKT- the same concept transfers easily to a more private hike.

Stubby
09-24-2015, 11:28
Since no hitching is part of an FKT

Ok, new one on me... what is an FKT?

Venchka
09-24-2015, 11:36
FKT = Fastest known Time.

Just Bill,
Following along my suggestion for having supplies shipped to a Walmart & ready for pickup would certainly aid anyone shooting for a FKT on the AT. Shipping to a 24 Walmart would make even more sense. In my experience, it is best to allow 2 weeks between order & pickup. 1 week for transportation to the store & 1 week for the shipment to get from the loading dock at the store to the pickup area inside the store. Crazy, but true, when I have used the service.

Wayne

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 11:47
Thank you Just Bill, I will buy that book, going into Barnes & Noble today to see if they can order it but will check REI first. Books are something I am better at so thanks for that suggestion. Read books and hike, pretty much all I do.
I am also at a loss, what does FKT mean?
Thank you for responding.

Smokey- for you or anyone pursuing easier resupply- consider reading the speed hiking forums, or specifically buying Matt Kirk's book.
Since no hitching is part of an FKT, there's been a fairly good bit of effort put into identifying resupplies close to the trail- both private and Post Office options.

Rolling into town at odd hours, avoiding distractions, and getting out quickly is pretty well part of an FKT- the same concept transfers easily to a more private hike.

capehiker
09-24-2015, 12:13
Smoky- you wouldn't happen to be the twin of a guy by the name of Minnesota Smith, would you? :) Because it's like I'm reading posts from his twin.

Can I ask why post offices are verboten but not hostels? Some hostels are crazier than town stops. Just Bill gave an interesting piece of advice and do a search for Baltimore Jack's resupply article. It's a little outdated but still relevant enough.

Lastly, I think Kenai hit the nail on the head with the premise of your book.

Pedaling Fool
09-24-2015, 12:34
FKT = Fastest known Time...Here's the website: http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 13:29
No it is more that they want a book on the actual trail experience itself, so many people write about their experience on the trail, but in Shaffer's book, he wrote about the trail for the most part. Yes he does cover some of the people he encounters but those people usually lived on or near the trail. The AT is the most popular trail in the U.S and is considered the social trail, they need someone they are sure who could withstand the pressures of needing to be social. Shaffer was a man of solitude and only cared about getting what needed to be done (hike) while loving nature and wanting to hike the trail for his own personal reasons.

I usually research abandoned mining towns, mines themselves and other odd and remote areas for long periods of time (research is fancy way of saying I go there and take pics, record observations etc for the author to place in his book to make it more appealing ) so not needing social contact and things is important. It is not a job most people find exciting and no showers for days with no one to talk to, well, there are only about three of us out here who do it and we run into one another once or twice a year and the US is full of old and abandoned mines. Hiking in and then staying there, doing the research then hiking back out, it dictates that you are very alone for a long time and most people like those on the AT trail want to see some sort of civilization. But for me, well, I just want to see someplace no one has been in years. So authors who like to write about uranium and plutonium prefer writing while some one like me gets their info, some agencies also pay me to go and check the status of the mine etc. Where I live is loads of abandoned towns and mines etc that lead from one to another. Years ago this was one of the hot spots for mining.

The book is meant to show what the trail is, to appreciate it for what it was intended for, and that was for people to be able to get away and get back to nature. When it was created it was during the industrial boom and people did not have a lot of areas anymore to get out of the congestion of the cities etc. Benton McKaye knew the world needed places like the AT. But now the trail itself is becoming congested. So they want to know, can a person of solitude still get from the trail what they want? Peace and quiet in the outdoors? Has the trail become too populated? Do people respect mother nature and what she offers? What kind of people hike the trail? And that question they want answered by observation not necessarily interaction.

The majority of people put on a false face when meeting someone for the first time, first impressions mean a lot to everyone. So many try to make the best first impression, someone like me, well obviously I do not care how my first or second or last impression is, I really only care about being outdoors and things like that. I do not try to impress people, obviously right? But others do, and when they do more times often than not we have no real idea who they really are, so me observing them first and writing down my impressions then getting to know them will give us a more accurate idea of who typically hikes the AT. Now I should say here that because the book is about the trail itself, the section of what type of people who hike the AT will be the smallest portion of the book.

It's one of the reasons I came on here. Some people feel hikers are a welcoming group, others feel they are not, coming onto the site most known for hiker social media gives a real understanding to how most people would be welcomed. I try to read all the posts on here to see how new hikers are welcomed, to see the more experienced hikers responses when a new hiker ask questions. Not necessarily my questions, as obviously many of you took an immediate dislike to me right away, which was expected, but others, like the man wanting to know if he needed a free standing tent to put it up in the shelter. That was his question.

Amazingly enough a rare few actually took the time to answer it, most theorized about why anyone would want to do that or scolded him for entertaining such an idea. My observations on here have deduced that is the typical reaction for this site thus far. Some try to be helpful, others prefer snarky comments and nearly everyone has an opinion whether it answers the actual question posted or not.

So that begs the question, do hikers respond the same way on the trail as they respond on here if someone asked a question of that nature on the trail? Which goes back to the original question, are hikers welcoming? Especially to other hikers starting out the first time? Because let's face it, no one knows all the social etiquette of hiking right away, we all had to learn over time and from others.

Some hikers have real questions, like me, I posted mine to this post. If you want an idea of what I am referring to, go to the beginning of this post, read my questions and then read the responses the rest of the hikers wrote. Count how many actually tried to answer the questions, then count how many gave their opinion of me or anything else or just made snarky comments. You made find it enlightening. I am not sure why anybody would think their comments other than pertaining to the questions would be warranted but to each their own. That seems to be how social media works.

So does the trail operate the same way? Will the unsuspecting newcomer to the trail get the same response if they ask a socially unacceptable trail related question? Our make a trail faux pas?

And the trail itself? How does it reveal itself to the hiker? Does that depend on how you hike? Obviously it would feel different to a person who hikes with a group and goes into town every chance they get to have a few brews. But what of the creature of solitude? Like Shaffer? Will it reveal itself to that person in a completely different way? Will you see more trail magic from the trail itself like more animal sightings and sweeter weather? Will it heal you if you have ailments of the soul, the kind no one else can see but you? Does it help clear your mind and face your inner demons as some claim? And is that because you are mostly alone or communing with nature so to speak?

Most books these days speak of the trail person experience and of the people who hike the trail but not the trail. Many of these questions have been answered in some books based in the authors opinion, but what about the trail itself? The pointless ups and downs? It that how the trail breaks you down? The endless switchbacks? Does it frustrate you to the point that it brings forth all your anger you have at the world?

When Avery walked with his rolling measuring stick to try and calculate the mileage of the trail and his two fellow helpers purposely walked to the top of a peak to see if he would actually walk that measurer up it and he did, do you think he knew making the trail more difficult would facilitate healing in the hiker? Or was it really that he was so caught up in his work he did not realize he walked up it but since he did and like the view he decided to keep it? Shaffer answers this question, but I loved the story.

The trail is one of the most magical places on Earth, it seems to reveal itself differently to each and every hiker. Hike your own hike is the mantra, how does one pathway get every single hiker to hike their own hike? And if you are new to the trail, what can you expect? Physically? How does the trail look and feel to the new hiker in each section? How does it feel emotionally? Broken down into sections how does each one play out for the next? Many claim the first sections from Georgia to West Virginia build you up preparing you for The Whites and Maine. Others say you get depressed in Virginia because it is a long and easier hike that you get in your head more. And others say Maine seems an illusion until you get there and when it is over the feelings you feel are mostly numb and sadness. Achieving the very thing you spent nearly six months busting your butt for is finally over and instead of elation you feel a let down, so does that mean the journey is more important or the destination? Or both in their own way?

There is so much more to the book, too much to explain, but this is what my editor will let me say for now. I am hoping to bring an awareness back to the trail as Shaffer saw it. His book was from a different time and he was not as charismatic as a writer as Bryson, Miller and Strayed. But he stands alone on actually writing a book about the trail and not all the hoopla that goes with it. He kept his emotions and what he was going through out of it. He wrote about the trail. I am aspiring to do the same.

For everyone who has a comment or opinion about me writing this book, it does not matter if you think I will not write a good book or not, just like it does not matter if you like me or not, what matters is that I do write the book and do it justice.

God bless and happy trails.

So, is your editor trying to put you in sociable situations b/c she knows it will not go well.... and then wants you to write about it? Sounds like a written reality TV show!

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 13:29
Here's the website: http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/

Thank you!

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 13:38
Dogwood I wondered if it was the plant. Shaffer refers to them and mountain laurels a lot in his book, I wondered if you got it from there. The other from your friends is funny though...:)
I bought the book about the plants on the AT, I have been memorizing them so I can sketch them and record where, when and what I was doing when I saw them on the trail.
Going to combine posts here, most people had trouble with Earl's book. Like I said he was not as charismatic as a writer as others but he was also from a different time, a simpler time. I really loved it but my spouse, well they groaned a lot when reading it.

I got my trail name differently depending on who you ask. Some of my playfully funny hiking friends intending some sarcasm say my trail name reminds them of an erect dog's penis. Sorry, but I'm still having flashbacks of all the vibrators I've seen although this is true. Then, I have to remind them it's because on the AT I started being known as one who could identify virtually every plant, flower, and tree, if it was edible, medicinal purposes, etc. Hikers started asking about all the white and pink flowered trees they were seeing. Most times what they were seeing were American Dogwoods(Cornus florida) in flower. So hikers started calling me that. It stuck. Funny thing is the American Dogwood(Cornus florida) has always been one of my Top 10 Native N. America small flowering trees. Also, despite the terrible sounding name Dogwood-Cornus florida has a wide range of positive beautiful attributes including it's four seasons of interests, IF you can get by it's up front faults and see it's potential....umm, just like me. :D

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 13:45
At a hostel I can often one stop shop kind of thing, grab a shower, do laundry, pick up my supplies and head right back out. As you said most hostels are crazy so very rarely will I sleep at one, and if it is closer to the trail and let's me do those things then there is no rationale for me going into town.
I am in New Mexico, so no idea of who this other person is......a twin of me? Are you trying to upset this site? No way would these people want two of me! :)

Smoky- you wouldn't happen to be the twin of a guy by the name of Minnesota Smith, would you? :) Because it's like I'm reading posts from his twin.

Can I ask why post offices are verboten but not hostels? Some hostels are crazier than town stops. Just Bill gave an interesting piece of advice and do a search for Baltimore Jack's resupply article. It's a little outdated but still relevant enough.

Lastly, I think Kenai hit the nail on the head with the premise of your book.

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 13:49
Thanks for the info on the places and knowing a few places of outfitters would be good in case I have to replace my gear. My spouse usually has my replacements and ships them but you never know. Believe it or not, owners of businesses, especially outfitters, usually love me. If I do go into town, I will look them up, I appreciate you answering. Thanks.

Laughing Heart Hostel & Inn. Literally on the AT at Hot Springs, NC. Contact them for mail drop & private room.
The AT runs through the middle of Hot Springs. It's a shame you won't be able to enjoy the town. You might want to interview some of the local trail focused business owners. Bluff Mountain Outfitters and the Hardware store on the same side of the street come to mind.
Have fun.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 13:51
Thank you so much! You are the only person that I have seen thus far who answered this, me and Lee (spouse) thank you very much!

Mountain Harbor Hostel / B&B. ~1/4 mile off trail on the same side of the highway as the trail. Shuttle service available to/from Tri-Cities Airport.

http://www.mountainharbour.net/

By the way, if this was not mentioned earlier, Tri-Cities Airport in Johnson City, TN is the closest airport to Damascus, VA. Car rental, hotels, city services available. You might want to book a room in Damascus now for Trail Days.

A thought: You can shop at Walmart online and have items shipped free to a store for pickup. You might be surprised by the selection of foods offered online that you might never find on the shelf at Walmart. Example: Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry freeze dried food. I think you said that you could tolerate some freeze dried food. Armed with Google Maps & the Walmart store locator you could find stores convenient to the AT. I know there is one in Franklin, NC which is an easy hitch or arranged shuttle to/from the AT. You could save ~$16/USPS large priority mail box in postage.

Wayne

Venchka
09-24-2015, 14:07
Y'all are welcome!
Even a curmudgeonly Geezer knows a thing or 3.
Hot Springs is a delightful small town. The kind that are disappearing too rapidly. I failed to mention that the Laughing Heart Hostel is as far from the train tracks as you can get in Hot Springs. We stayed at The Iron Station Inn. Our window looked out on the tracks. I was bounced out of bed by the trains about once an hour.
I still don't get the whole Trail Days thing. I guess after 30+ years in New Orleans we learned to leave town for Mardi Gras.
Have fun!

Wayne

FlyFishNut
09-24-2015, 14:31
So, I'm trying to wrap my brain around what makes you tick. I know, none of my business - but unlike you I like meeting new and interesting people and enjoy their story.

Some of the funniest and most interesting people are the ones I meet by happenstance. I had to have a new well tank put in a few years ago and my garage is a S)hthole -- full of kayaks, 4 wheelers, boats, etc. The older gentleman who replaced it is in his late 60's and after fussing (as older people often do) about my garage we sat and chatted and joked around for over an hour while he repaired the tank. He was hilarious. So, when my well pump went out I told them if they didn't send Jimmy out to fix it, then don't bother coming. We chatted for a couple more hours and I hope I cross paths with him again. So go figure how someone who appears (i stress "appears") to be a preppy 40ish businessman can sit out in the yard with an elder black gentleman/well digger and have more fun just shooting the $h1t.

The point is how can you not like people? What makes you happy if not sharing experiences and tales and other grand foolishness with others? I admit I come across a lot of Aholes and I don't choose to sit and chat with them, but more often I come across people on the trail or river, at a local bar or standing in line at the store. I don't seek these crazy conversations out - it just seems to happen and when it does, its a friggin blast and I'm a better person with more understanding of others' and usually I learn something pragmatic that I didn't know before.

So Smoky - what floats your boat? We all love some solitude with nature and I would bet that most here do not like crowds, but what gives you the most joy in life? I would think that you are a bit insecure and the easiest way to deal with this is by saying you hate people. You sound like you are trying to ruffle feathers so you don't have to worry about someone not liking you for some reason. Let that go. And it is a BS excuse to say, "I'm brutally honest and don't sugar coat, so people don't like me". Everyone can change and evolve. If you are offensive, make a change in your delivery. I frankly think that offending people on purpose is BS. I naturally try and see positives in people (impossible with some). I would suggest you make a conscious decision to be kind and respectful to people and let some stuff go. If I see someone doing something stupid or not the way I would like I might suggest a different way, but if they like doing something in a screwed up fashion - as long as it doesn't hurt anyone who gives a $h--T. I don't.

Happiness is a decision we make every day when we get up. Maybe some milk of human kindness is in store?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpTxBuo8zno

09-24-2015, 15:14
I would suggest you bring a car and use it to resupply and to keep a good supply in the car for way out areas. It is easy to place the car ahead 5 to 7 days and get shuttles or hitch. I am sure you know to avoid shelters and I am sure you know you MUST use them in the smokies but if you hang around a bit the shelter will fill up and you can tent. Have a good hike I am sure you will.

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 15:23
Thank you for your post. Just for clarification purposes, i do not hate people, i dislike being around some of them, it's not funny to me when people make fun at other people's expense, or exclude people because they are different, most people are angry these days and have no concept of boundaries.

And if I do not go along with their line of thinking then I am wrong. I am sorry but purposely hurting people for the sake of watching how many hits you get on the Internet is not funny to me. Like the moose being rode by that guy, people these days think that is funny, not all, but some, for me, it's just show boating and mean. And cowardly, had that moose been on land that whole scenario would of had a different outcome.

I am not an angry person, if anything my family and friends think I am too positive. They do not understand why I have let some people post things on here and not respond with "go f..K yourself". But to me doing that would be shutting down dialogue, and when that happens, well no one learns anything.

As for what makes me tick? Well meeting someone like you. If we ran into one another we would sit for hours and chat, why? Because you are genuinely curious about people and as you said try to see the good in people. You can hold a conversation and ask questions without being mean spirited and demeaning. That goes a long way in getting to know someone.

My friends and spouse and family tell me I am too much like the character Bones on tv. Too smart and pretty dry on humor. I find things funny, lots of things, just not what most others find funny. For the record I disagree, I think I am nothing like her.

I generally like most people but more from a distance kind of thing, usually I put my foot in my mouth like on here, and honestly, I have no clue how it happens. I say or rather write some thing and the next thing I know I have perturbed quite a few people and all I keep thinking is, I was honest and answered their question, wasn't that what they wanted?

If your last question is asking if I am happy, then yes. I am living the best life. I am retired from one job and that let's me do another job I adore which let's me travel all over and see things the human race has forgotten about. It let's me help the environment too. I am married to the best person, they understand me in ways no one else does and encourages my dreams. I am marking things off my bucket list left and right and all before I am fifty. I have a great family who are all supersmart and good hearted folks.

I love horses, my family has raced them for years, I love dogs, cats, well all animals and they love me too. I actually get a long better with animals than people but that is because I think we communicate better. But that is just my opinion.

I am a pretty happy person who has a very cushy life and get to live it on my terms. I guess that makes me tick too. Motorcycles, I really love them and have rode them since I was six years old and my dad bought my first Indian.

I like music, I play the piano, well used to but play the spirit flute now, I think it is lovely. Played the trombone a long time ago.

I like video games when I am home in my down time, trying to playing the game differently is a really fun challenge to me.

I volunteer for the BLM in our open space division and usually cover the sections that most people do not go to because for me seeing somewhere where most do not go is more exciting.
I suppose my people skills could use some improving but that is probably because I am alone more than I am with people.
Did I answer any of your questions or help at all?

So, I'm trying to wrap my brain around what makes you tick. I know, none of my business - but unlike you I like meeting new and interesting people and enjoy their story.

Some of the funniest and most interesting people are the ones I meet by happenstance. I had to have a new well tank put in a few years ago and my garage is a S)hthole -- full of kayaks, 4 wheelers, boats, etc. The older gentleman who replaced it is in his late 60's and after fussing (as older people often do) about my garage we sat and chatted and joked around for over an hour while he repaired the tank. He was hilarious. So, when my well pump went out I told them if they didn't send Jimmy out to fix it, then don't bother coming. We chatted for a couple more hours and I hope I cross paths with him again. So go figure how someone who appears (i stress "appears") to be a preppy 40ish businessman can sit out in the yard with an elder black gentleman/well digger and have more fun just shooting the $h1t.

The point is how can you not like people? What makes you happy if not sharing experiences and tales and other grand foolishness with others? I admit I come across a lot of Aholes and I don't choose to sit and chat with them, but more often I come across people on the trail or river, at a local bar or standing in line at the store. I don't seek these crazy conversations out - it just seems to happen and when it does, its a friggin blast and I'm a better person with more understanding of others' and usually I learn something pragmatic that I didn't know before.

So Smoky - what floats your boat? We all love some solitude with nature and I would bet that most here do not like crowds, but what gives you the most joy in life? I would think that you are a bit insecure and the easiest way to deal with this is by saying you hate people. You sound like you are trying to ruffle feathers so you don't have to worry about someone not liking you for some reason. Let that go. And it is a BS excuse to say, "I'm brutally honest and don't sugar coat, so people don't like me". Everyone can change and evolve. If you are offensive, make a change in your delivery. I frankly think that offending people on purpose is BS. I naturally try and see positives in people (impossible with some). I would suggest you make a conscious decision to be kind and respectful to people and let some stuff go. If I see someone doing something stupid or not the way I would like I might suggest a different way, but if they like doing something in a screwed up fashion - as long as it doesn't hurt anyone who gives a $h--T. I don't.

Happiness is a decision we make every day when we get up. Maybe some milk of human kindness is in store?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpTxBuo8zno

Lnj
09-24-2015, 16:02
Smoky Spoon, I find you fascinating. I too suffer from foot-n-mouth disease. I too want to hike the trail to actually see and enjoy the trail itself, not for the social aspect. I will be with my husband, so I have someone to talk to if I want, and I am not opposed to people, as a general rule, but people are everywhere all the time. I want to walk in the woods to be with the trees and animals and breezes and ... you get where I am going. I am looking forward to reading your book and it would tickle me to pass by you while on the trail. Good luck and thank you for being you.

Just Bill
09-24-2015, 16:38
Thank you Just Bill, I will buy that book, going into Barnes & Noble today to see if they can order it but will check REI first. Books are something I am better at so thanks for that suggestion. Read books and hike, pretty much all I do.
I am also at a loss, what does FKT mean?
Thank you for responding.

Likely the best place for that book-
https://sub60.wikispaces.com/Story

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 18:15
Thank you, words cannot express how nice it is to read a positive post!

I like you lol you kinda remind me of one of my good friends. We don't talk much. Kayak together but generally about .25 miles apart and then make camp in companionable silence.

[emoji4] I know you don't seem to like people but I could see the trail atmosphere being welcome after a while. Good thing about trail folks, if someone is hiking in silence, that is generally going to be respected.

I'll be following your thread here and hope to hear about your adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 18:19
You get it! I probably will talk with some others at the shelters and certainly will write in the registers but yeah, I will keep to my self most of all. I have no doubt I might make a friend or two who will get me and give me space as needed as I would them.

I like to hike alone. That way I can set my own pace and decide when and where to take breaks.

I like to sit and enjoy a scenic vista alone. That way I can reflect on the view without distractions.

But at the end of the day, I like to hang out with other hikers at the shelter or campsite. That way I can feel part of a community and you can meet some very interesting people along the way.

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 18:22
When are you all going? It would be lovely to meet you both and get to know you! I adore people who are so positive, you seem very positive, how lovely!
Yes that foot and mouth disease, not a good thing on here! :)

Smoky Spoon, I find you fascinating. I too suffer from foot-n-mouth disease. I too want to hike the trail to actually see and enjoy the trail itself, not for the social aspect. I will be with my husband, so I have someone to talk to if I want, and I am not opposed to people, as a general rule, but people are everywhere all the time. I want to walk in the woods to be with the trees and animals and breezes and ... you get where I am going. I am looking forward to reading your book and it would tickle me to pass by you while on the trail. Good luck and thank you for being you.

rhjanes
09-24-2015, 18:42
Interesting thread. From my reading of blogs and Trail Journals, most people tend to hike at their own pace. Right now, there is a family of 5 hiking, they are almost to complete it. They state that they know at camp in the evening, where they will meet up tomorrow. Some meet for lunch, some don't meet up until dinner/camp. The trails of Earl's years were Post-WWII. A very different world! Some years back, there was a controversial write up by a lawyer who'd made a hobby of dissecting Earl's book, Walking With Spring. He noted where and what land marks Earl noted. And concluded that at many places, Earl either wasn't on the trail or couldn't be on the trail. Why? Well, because from around 1941 thru 1945, there had been no one working on keeping a 2000+ mile trail up in the mountains, open, cleared of brush, blow downs and such. Earl reported a lot of times that he could not find the trail at all. The trail in 1948 also had many small mountain towns where people lived, and Earl could drop off the trail into. Some of those small hamlets are about ghost-towns. Society is also much different! Earl found a much different trail on his two subsequent thru-hikes in later years.
Also, someplace, there was a study that found that there are more introverts on the trail than extroverts. But the common task of hiking, bring them into social settings.

I've read of people who grow to have a love-hate with the post offices. Due to limited hours, and the unknown life of hikers, they often feel "rushed" or "pushed" and frustrated by trying to get down to a town and a PO. But then others are equally frustrated with mail drops at hostels. You can't ring up the hostel and have them forward your package when you decide to skip the town and move ahead to the next one! Well, you can ring them, but expect to pay them for their time and trouble.

Smoky Spoon
09-24-2015, 20:50
Aha, a fellow hiker who may have read all of Earl's book. What a fabulous person you are! Most have trouble. And as you said, he was from a different time but had the heart of a good soul. You are right he repeatedly was frustrated at how unkempt the trail was and how many times he missed the blazes because they were barely visible and he was lost. He more than once double backed or bush whacked his way through. In my honest opinion Earl probably walked much further than the trail itself with all the wandering he did just looking for the faded white blazes.

In fact in some areas he even said they were striped, and others sorts of things which made him wonder if he was even on the trail.

To me his hike was amazing not just because he was the first, but at that time, ultralight hiking, good trail maintenance etc was not yet thought of. He himself did lighten his pack by shipping his 7 lb tent home. Can you imagine a 7 lb tent on the AT? :)

Things sure were different in his day. A much more quieter time.

I do not hate the post offices, I am more against going into town unless necessary. Tons of people all over, you have to go everywhere to get what you need running into more people when at a hostel I can shower, laundry and get my supplies all in one place. But I know there will be times when I will have to.

Interesting thread. From my reading of blogs and Trail Journals, most people tend to hike at their own pace. Right now, there is a family of 5 hiking, they are almost to complete it. They state that they know at camp in the evening, where they will meet up tomorrow. Some meet for lunch, some don't meet up until dinner/camp. The trails of Earl's years were Post-WWII. A very different world! Some years back, there was a controversial write up by a lawyer who'd made a hobby of dissecting Earl's book, Walking With Spring. He noted where and what land marks Earl noted. And concluded that at many places, Earl either wasn't on the trail or couldn't be on the trail. Why? Well, because from around 1941 thru 1945, there had been no one working on keeping a 2000+ mile trail up in the mountains, open, cleared of brush, blow downs and such. Earl reported a lot of times that he could not find the trail at all. The trail in 1948 also had many small mountain towns where people lived, and Earl could drop off the trail into. Some of those small hamlets are about ghost-towns. Society is also much different! Earl found a much different trail on his two subsequent thru-hikes in later years.
Also, someplace, there was a study that found that there are more introverts on the trail than extroverts. But the common task of hiking, bring them into social settings.

I've read of people who grow to have a love-hate with the post offices. Due to limited hours, and the unknown life of hikers, they often feel "rushed" or "pushed" and frustrated by trying to get down to a town and a PO. But then others are equally frustrated with mail drops at hostels. You can't ring up the hostel and have them forward your package when you decide to skip the town and move ahead to the next one! Well, you can ring them, but expect to pay them for their time and trouble.

fiddlehead
09-24-2015, 21:07
Reading the first OP, I thought: Obvious troll.
But after reading some of her long answers, I think just as Lone Wolf: miserable person. won't make it, as it's a sociable trail and if you aren't sociable, you'll hate it.
Unless they are paying you HUGE bucks, (which I doubt)

I hope the trail changes your attitude a bit.
If not, there are many other trails in the USA. (most less populated)

booney_1
09-24-2015, 22:47
Here's a tip on mail drops. Don't do too many in advance. Most people find their appetite, and the food they want to eat changes.
If you have someone at "home", who can change the makeup of the packages, I think you will find the flexibility helpful.

Lnj
09-25-2015, 09:52
When are you all going? It would be lovely to meet you both and get to know you! I adore people who are so positive, you seem very positive, how lovely!
Yes that foot and mouth disease, not a good thing on here! :)

We are doing just the GA section, going SOBO from Deep Gap to Amicalola starting on 5/20/16. I definitely try to be. Also, I tend to think adults ought to have pretty thick skin and be able to hear directness without getting too wounded. I find I am wrong about that very often.

rafe
09-25-2015, 10:01
"I am not a person who likes people" -- so why ask perfect strangers for help and advice with regard to your hike?

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 10:27
If you read back on some of my posts I tell you I had some general questions and my editor wanted to see how welcoming the hiker community really was, online compared to the trail.
She thinks the responses on here alone make an interesting read. LOL

"I am not a person who likes people" -- so why ask perfect strangers for help and advice with regard to your hike?

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 10:33
Thanks for good advice, I will keep this inotice mind. I do have my spouse who is awesome at sending packages to me. Have a good weekend!

Here's a tip on mail drops. Don't do too many in advance. Most people find their appetite, and the food they want to eat changes.
If you have someone at "home", who can change the makeup of the packages, I think you will find the flexibility helpful.

Slo-go'en
09-25-2015, 11:01
"I will avoid towns" is a common misconception since avoiding towns is mostly not possible. Hostels start to become scarce once into Virginia and few and far between north of VA. You will also find hostels to be crowded, dirty and smelly. The shower stalls tend to be gross. If you want solitude and avoid large numbers of people your actually better off going to town and getting a motel room.

rafe
09-25-2015, 11:29
Within reason, the trail can be as sociable or as solitary as you want it to be.

But if you start with the northbound herd in March, forget it -- it will be a zoo, particularly at the shelters and campsites. At this point, I'd almost consider it irresponsible to go that route.

If you want solitude, go southbound, or do a flip-flop hike.

For what it's worth: there's a vast difference between what's said on this forum and what happens on the trail.

Venchka
09-25-2015, 12:57
OK. I have to ask.
I know, your editor made you pick the AT.
On the other hand, the CDT is virtually in your backyard. Why go halfway across the country in order to hike a trail that, by your own admission, goes completely against your personality? :eek:
Hey?
The preceding was typed by a confirmed Rocky Mountains/Desert loving Fossil. YMMV. (Your Mileage May Vary) :cool:
Grinning. :D :cool:

Wayne

Kiote Agorist
09-25-2015, 13:13
First thing, you will NOT be alone. When I was hiking this year, the trail was PACKED with people, and there will be more and more next year because of that movie coming out. Get yourself a copy of the guidebook, it will tell you all the resupply and town stops. It's green and is by AWOL. I don't remember the name it's just the book, lol. As far as food goes, you can either mail drop or go to Towns, there are major issues with either route. And if you want to stay in hostels BOOK EARLY or they will be full by the time you get there.

But really, thru hiking the AT is not a solitary experience. It can't be. Especially through the smokies, where you have to stay in the shelters. There were NEVER fewer than twenty people at the shelters every night in the smokies.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

Kiote Agorist
09-25-2015, 13:16
Also, you have to go into town. You just have to. No matter if you use mail drops or go to stores. There's no other way to get food except to hitchhike or get a shuttle into town. At least one day a week will be spent in town.

rafe
09-25-2015, 13:19
Also, you have to go into town. You just have to. No matter if you use mail drops or go to stores. There's no other way to get food except to hitchhike or get a shuttle into town. At least one day a week will be spent in town.

Well, it certainly is possible to do "nearos" without killing a whole day in town. On my last bit AT section hike I took no zeros at all, but I did take a nearo every 4-6 days or so.

Venchka
09-25-2015, 13:26
First thing, you will NOT be alone. When I was hiking this year, the trail was PACKED with people, and there will be more and more next year because of that movie coming out. Get yourself a copy of the guidebook, it will tell you all the resupply and town stops. It's green and is by AWOL. I don't remember the name it's just the book, lol. As far as food goes, you can either mail drop or go to Towns, there are major issues with either route. And if you want to stay in hostels BOOK EARLY or they will be full by the time you get there.

But really, thru hiking the AT is not a solitary experience. It can't be. Especially through the smokies, where you have to stay in the shelters. There were NEVER fewer than twenty people at the shelters every night in the smokies.

You are making a very strong argument for all of the reasons why I will probably never, never, ever, ever hike the AT except in relatively remote, short sections at way off-peak times of the year. I appreciate your honest description of the wrong times & places to hike the AT.
Anyone who becomes fascinated by the AT as a result of the Redford movie should seek professional help. :eek: :D

Wayne

rafe
09-25-2015, 13:35
The actual hiking experience can be, and often is, quite solitary. You can have (to pick a number) ten hikers per mile of AT and never see each other. Obviously this does not hold at the shelters and campsites, which in fact are designed to concentrate hikers in one spot.

Slo and I were at the summit of Mt. Washington on Monday morning of this week, in perfect weather. Yes, there were a couple of dozen folks at the summit, including a half-dozen thru hikers. But from the moment we left the summit, heading north, we didn't see another hiker on the ridge for the next two or three hours. Quite remarkable, considering this is one of the most visited spots on the entire AT.

Venchka
09-25-2015, 13:40
"hike the AT except in relatively remote, short sections at way off-peak times of the year."

The White Mountains fit my criteria as previously stated. The Grayson & Roan Highlands as well. Heck, I can see myself hiking a traverse of the Smokies when everyone else is at home.

Wayne

JaketheFake
09-25-2015, 13:55
Wayne, what part of the East Tx rain forest are you in? I am very familiar with these parts. Funny, when people on this site start talking about solitude I immediately think....hike certain parts of East Tx!!!

jj2044
09-25-2015, 13:58
"am thru hiking the AT. It has been a lifelong dream, number one on my bucket list"

So… it’s your “lifelong” dream and you know next to nothing about it??? I could tell you half the shelter names and where they were, at least to Virginia before I set foot on the trail…. And most town names. I don’t think this has been a “lifelong dream” for long.

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 14:41
Where did you get the idea I knew nothing about it?
I know quite a bit about it, but on the advice of my editor and because I assumed I could always learn more I came on here to ask questions.
I have been on the AT before, i never did a thru hike on it is all and I was not there when it was crowded. Last time I was there I saw four total people in three days.
I was just hoping to get more recent updated info and insight.
For the record, you are right, it has not been lifelong, i am 48 and was very young when I first heard about it and in my teens when I first understood a person could walk from end to end. So not a whole lifelong experience but pretty damn close.

"am thru hiking the AT. It has been a lifelong dream, number one on my bucket list"

So… it’s your “lifelong” dream and you know next to nothing about it??? I could tell you half the shelter names and where they were, at least to Virginia before I set foot on the trail…. And most town names. I don’t think this has been a “lifelong dream” for long.

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 14:46
You answered your own question, my editor made me pick the AT. I am trying to get it to be a SoBo hike instead of NoBo but so far they are not budging. And they commissioned the book. My spouse and I would love for it to be the CDT or PCT, but this is considered the social trail and was the first of its kind. Not my call, have to do what I am told as most do by their boss.

OK. I have to ask.
I know, your editor made you pick the AT.
On the other hand, the CDT is virtually in your backyard. Why go halfway across the country in order to hike a trail that, by your own admission, goes completely against your personality? :eek:
Hey?
The preceding was typed by a confirmed Rocky Mountains/Desert loving Fossil. YMMV. (Your Mileage May Vary) :cool:
Grinning. :D :cool:

Wayne

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 14:51
Yes I have been reassured that most of what is said on this site is nothing like it is said on the trail. I am trying to get them to change it to a southbound hike but so far no dice. Irresponsible or not I have to go where my boss tells me, as most do. My choice would be southbound and a different time but I am not the boss.

Within reason, the trail can be as sociable or as solitary as you want it to be.

But if you start with the northbound herd in March, forget it -- it will be a zoo, particularly at the shelters and campsites. At this point, I'd almost consider it irresponsible to go that route.

If you want solitude, go southbound, or do a flip-flop hike.

For what it's worth: there's a vast difference between what's said on this forum and what happens on the trail.

Venchka
09-25-2015, 15:15
Wayne, what part of the East Tx rain forest are you in? I am very familiar with these parts. Funny, when people on this site start talking about solitude I immediately think....hike certain parts of East Tx!!!
Thanks for asking.

I spend about 99% of my time working too many hours in Houston. No time for fun stuff, darn it.
If all goes according to plan, I'll retire in March, 2016. Then I will move home to Wood County, TX. The house is about 10 miles north of Brookshire's in Hawkins. The nearest Walmart is 20 miles away. We like it like that.
I am already planning my first backpacking trip with a friend. We plan to "jump off the train and hike around."
I am also gathering information on the Quachita and Ozark Highlands Trails as well as Big Bend NP. Arkansas is less than a day and Big Bend is a long day from the house. I also plan to get on my bike for some touring.

Wayne

Lone Wolf
09-25-2015, 15:32
Yes I have been reassured that most of what is said on this site is nothing like it is said on the trail. I am trying to get them to change it to a southbound hike but so far no dice. Irresponsible or not I have to go where my boss tells me, as most do. My choice would be southbound and a different time but I am not the boss.

you ain't in charge of your own life? who is this "editor"? AT books are a dime a dozen. most are boring

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 16:29
Then I will not have to worry about you reading it will I?

you ain't in charge of your own life? who is this "editor"? AT books are a dime a dozen. most are boring

rickb
09-25-2015, 17:45

I was wondering that, too.

I might understand an editor exercising that kind of control if he were dealing with the next Robyn Davidson but what publisher with the funds to command obedience could possibly be interested in someone hiking the AT?

No matter who the author might be.

Frye
09-25-2015, 18:00
Wow, this has been a tough read. I hope your books are easier to read. Please don't pen the Fennegans Wake of AT novels.

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 18:31
I just find it humorous that he keeps telling me the book will be a sh...y read but yet he keeps reading my posts. And of course he HAS to
Guess he thinks mighty high of himself to assert his opinion repeatedly without giving any advice pertaining to the questions asked. I do not take it personally I have seen him do it with most posts. Guess he has nothing better to do like outfit a person for a hike or set them up for an adventure. Got so much time on his hands, he feels COMPELLED to read my threads and comment. Which does make me wonder, since he shows so much interest, will he be the first in line to buy my sh..ty book?
How does that ignore button work and where is it?:)

I was wondering that, too.

I might understand an editor exercising that kind of control if he were dealing with the next Robyn Davidson but what publisher with the funds to command obedience could possibly be interested in someone hiking the AT?

No matter who the author might be.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2015, 18:34
:cool:.....................

Frye
09-25-2015, 19:32
What publishing company are you employed by? The controlling nature of your editor just makes it seem somewhat far fetched. Did they come up with the premise for the book? It all just seems contradictory to creativity. I'm at a loss how anyone could imagine a good read being born out of such circumstances. I spent time working for Jones and Bartlett for a while contributing towards medical textbooks and even they weren't as controlling.

I hope you don't feel I'm taking a shot at you, but this year alone I've run into countless folks who claimed they were going to write a book about their AT experience, after a while some of us just stop paying attention or find it annoying. It's not that I'm accusing you of lying (I don't care really), but I'd be lying myself if I said it doesn't sound fishy at times. Of course there are exceptions, AWOL and Just Bill to name a few, but they are in the minority.

I read what you had to say, you're anti social, I get it. The AT is for the most part a social trail though. Reading a book about someone who doesn't really want to hike such a populated trail, whose only purpose for hiking it was writing said book is not a good premise. I hope it turns out great, but I have real doubts. It's like you have no idea just how different this trail can be during thru hiker season, it's not a wilderness trail, it starts just north of Atlantic, flies through some of the most populated park areas in the country and within an hour of major cities like DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, etc etc. What in the world is your editor thinking? Maybe if you were able to write a humorous account of your journey but I'm not getting the feeling that that's your shtick.

I wish I could say I thought it was a good idea, but I don't. The trail is already heavily populated, plenty would say over populated, and now we're going to have people on it during busy season that don't even want to be there...? Great! Everyone has the right to hike the AT but perhaps your editor should rethink this scheme.

As for Lonewolf, I haven't had much interaction with him in the time I've been a member here, but I respect his opinion and enjoy his post. Don't look at it as he's attacking you, his post do have substance.

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 20:05
Frye, why do you think i do not want to be there? Of course I want to be there, it's the AT! It is number one on my bucket list. I have thought about that trail for years. I have researched it for years. I have tons of books on it and am always looking for more. I love the AT. But just because I love the AT does not mean I have to like being around people.

What it means is going at the time of year when most people will be there, and yes that might make me uncomfortable but so what? I am a grown up, I am a professional. So of course I will go on the trail at a time that might not be ideal for me because sometimes that is what you do when you work for someone other than yourself.

As for what other people claim about writing a book, what can I say to that? I do not know them, i have no control over what other people say or do or say what they are going to do. What I do know is that the whole situation is a gold mine for me....think about this, because my spouse and I have and here is how we see it:
I go on the trail, learn a few things about myself (because nearly everyone does) ;
I go on the trail and make a few friends ( i am told it is nearly impossible for that not to happen);
I go on the trail and have the time of my life ( who doesn't );
I go on the trail and someone else is footing the bill and I check off my number one bucket list item and live a huge dream of mine;
I go on the trail and write an awesome book;
I go on the trail and write a crappy book, it's their dime, my time and I will be living my dream!

Where is the lose in this for me? My spouse Lee said it best, "Honey, this is anot opportunity of a lifetime, you would be an idiot to pass it up"

So they have a few rules I am uncomfortable with, they have a premise for the book that may or may not sell, who cares? I am going on the AT! Don't you get it? I am going on the AT and everything I need they will pay for, they will pay me for my time of being there and of writing it whether the book sells or not. So hell yeah I am going, oh yeah I am writing that book and oh yeah I am replacing lots of my gear and keeping it because as they said it will be MY gear.

Would you seriously pass an opportunity like this up?

If telling some one you never met they are a miserable person and will write a sh..ty book is what you call substance then by all means, hang with the wolf man. But please, do it far from me.

What publishing company are you employed by? The controlling nature of your editor just makes it seem somewhat far fetched. Did they come up with the premise for the book? It all just seems contradictory to creativity. I'm at a loss how anyone could imagine a good read being born out of such circumstances. I spent time working for Jones and Bartlett for a while contributing towards medical textbooks and even they weren't as controlling.

I hope you don't feel I'm taking a shot at you, but this year alone I've run into countless folks who claimed they were going to write a book about their AT experience, after a while some of us just stop paying attention or find it annoying. It's not that I'm accusing you of lying (I don't care really), but I'd be lying myself if I said it doesn't sound fishy at times. Of course there are exceptions, AWOL and Just Bill to name a few, but they are in the minority.

I read what you had to say, you're anti social, I get it. The AT is for the most part a social trail though. Reading a book about someone who doesn't really want to hike such a populated trail, whose only purpose for hiking it was writing said book is not a good premise. I hope it turns out great, but I have real doubts. It's like you have no idea just how different this trail can be during thru hiker season, it's not a wilderness trail, it starts just north of Atlantic, flies through some of the most populated park areas in the country and within an hour of major cities like DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, etc etc. What in the world is your editor thinking? Maybe if you were able to write a humorous account of your journey but I'm not getting the feeling that that's your shtick.

I wish I could say I thought it was a good idea, but I don't. The trail is already heavily populated, plenty would say over populated, and now we're going to have people on it during busy season that don't even want to be there...? Great! Everyone has the right to hike the AT but perhaps your editor should rethink this scheme.

As for Lonewolf, I haven't had much interaction with him in the time I've been a member here, but I respect his opinion and enjoy his post. Don't look at it as he's attacking you, his post do have substance.

rickb
09-25-2015, 20:30

Fiction, I assume.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2015, 20:44
Frye, why do you think i do not want to be there? Of course I want to be there, it's the AT! It is number one on my bucket list. I have thought about that trail for years. I have researched it for years. I have tons of books on it and am always looking for more. I love the AT. But just because I love the AT does not mean I have to like being around people.

What it means is going at the time of year when most people will be there, and yes that might make me uncomfortable but so what? I am a grown up, I am a professional. So of course I will go on the trail at a time that might not be ideal for me because sometimes that is what you do when you work for someone other than yourself.

As for what other people claim about writing a book, what can I say to that? I do not know them, i have no control over what other people say or do or say what they are going to do. What I do know is that the whole situation is a gold mine for me....think about this, because my spouse and I have and here is how we see it:
I go on the trail, learn a few things about myself (because nearly everyone does) ;
I go on the trail and make a few friends ( i am told it is nearly impossible for that not to happen);
I go on the trail and have the time of my life ( who doesn't );
I go on the trail and someone else is footing the bill and I check off my number one bucket list item and live a huge dream of mine;
I go on the trail and write an awesome book;
I go on the trail and write a crappy book, it's their dime, my time and I will be living my dream!

Where is the lose in this for me? My spouse Lee said it best, "Honey, this is anot opportunity of a lifetime, you would be an idiot to pass it up"

So they have a few rules I am uncomfortable with, they have a premise for the book that may or may not sell, who cares? I am going on the AT! Don't you get it? I am going on the AT and everything I need they will pay for, they will pay me for my time of being there and of writing it whether the book sells or not. So hell yeah I am going, oh yeah I am writing that book and oh yeah I am replacing lots of my gear and keeping it because as they said it will be MY gear.

If telling some one you never met they are a miserable person and will write a sh..ty book is what you call substance then by all means, hang with the wolf man. But please, do it far from me.

you've researched the AT for years, you have tons of books about it, you've never walked on it. why do you need ?s answered? BTW what are the titles of your other books?

Kookork
09-25-2015, 21:08
To smoky spoon:

You started the thread in a way that some of the readers (including me) started to think that you are possibly a miserable person or difficult to deal with.

Your first post was in some ways difficult to read and keep a positive attitude toward you. I even can see why some may think your editor thing and book thing sounds fishy. It is you and your story that challenges the common sense . But if it is true then why should you care about what others think about you and your personality. You are what you are. Miserable, kind , creature of solitude or a social person .

How do you categorize yourself? Optimist or pessimist? Half empty glass type of person or half full ?

You and only you can benefit or suffer from your attitude during your AT hike. I have not hiked the AT but from what my limited experience says I am almost sure that if you do not like to socialize with others then they will leave you alone. Why ? because there are hundreds of other hikers that are eager to enjoy the social life of a trail with them. Why should they bother themselves and you when you don't like people and especially when you think people mostly won't like you.

Personally I feel you are a way better person in real life than what you have been trying to portray here in this forum. Just please do not start a long trail like AT with the presumption that you won't like the people and they won't like you. It just brings an unnecessary negative outlook to your hike. They may or may not like you but you won't know until you experience it first hand.

A book that is about AT and trail People( you said it in your posts) would not be honest if the writer does not interact with them or has a negative outlook about then from the get go.

I wish you and your book the best.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2015, 21:10
i'll refrain from running my mouth anymore on your thread. i really wish you well on your walk. btw i did read earl's book. and bryson's. the only 2 on the AT

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 21:23
Geez if you are going to be obsessed with someone at least get your facts straight. I have been on the AT. I have never thru hiked it. Said that already.

IF you had actually taken time to read my post thoroughly or asked me then you would of already known my coming on here has been answered, a lot. My editor thought it was a great idea AND...
I came on the same as others, new and updated information, why are you on here? Have you thru hiked the AT? What is your motivation behind calling me a miserable person? What is your motivation behind saying it would be a sh...ty book?

I am not a writer, had you read my posts you would know that too. I am a researcher for writers, which is why we (my family and i) were so shocked I was asked to do this! Duh....

And why would I pass it up? If your boss at the outfitters asked you to take some new gear home, wear it on a thru hike that they pay for and then write up some reviews about it and then said to keep the gear, would you do it?

Seriously I have no idea what your deal is and frankly could care less, i do not know you, i do not want to know you, i have seen your other posts, rarely are they kind or helpful, usually one liners of what you obviously think is wit but IMHO is mean spirited and serves to drive new hikers to this site away. I get you have your little male groupies and all that, but please call off your pups and go slink back in your den where you belong and leave me alone.

I am sick and tired of the let's attack the new people who are excited about doing their first thru hike to the point you take all their joy and excitement out of something so precious to them. I realize you need to put others down to make yourself feel better for whatever is obviously lacking in your life but really, go find some other new person to this site to harrass because you and I both know you will David. That is what you do best.

Now as far as I am concerned this thread is done, so have your last word, get your male groupies to comment all they like but as I said before, i got what I needed and am moving on now.

Seriously, how does the block/ignore thing work? Anyone? Please?

you've researched the AT for years, you have tons of books about it, you've never walked on it. why do you need ?s answered? BTW what are the titles of your other books?

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 21:38
Here are some of my books and texts on the AT. Earl V Shaffer's book Walking With Spring is on loan out.

Please go enjoy your life as I will mine.

Frye
09-25-2015, 22:28
If I made any assumptions then I'm sorry. Try being a little less negative and I'll try assuming less!

I get you have your little male groupies and all that

LOL. I wanna say something but I'm giggling to much.

George
09-25-2015, 22:35
My take: your editor is setting you up to fail - and you are not doing much to avoid it either

George
09-25-2015, 22:42
to the point you take all their joy and excitement out of something so precious to them.

?

by your own admission, you pretty well have this taken care of yourself

rafe
09-25-2015, 23:15
My take: your editor is setting you up to fail - and you are not doing much to avoid it either

This. The vast majority of thru-hike attempts do fail. Maybe it's not 9 out of 10 that fail. Maybe it's just 2 out of 3 these days. A whole lot of people (including many who thought they were well-prepared) end up not enjoying it enough to keep on doing it for four, five or six months.

Smoky Spoon has taken what she calls "a lifelong dream" and turned it into a paid gig. Her thru-hike will be a vocation, not a recreation. She's already making compromises that run against her instincts and best interests.

But anyway -- if it's a paid gig, why would I offer advice for free? ;) Go do your hike, Smoky. Have fun. If your book is a big hit, maybe I'll read it some day.

Smoky Spoon
09-26-2015, 00:11
Thank you for your post. I did not intend to begin my post that way, negative, i actually was trying to cover my bases and not offend anyone because everytime I post something, inevitably someone takes what I said completely out of context.

I am working with the editor on doing a SoBo hike instead of NoBo hike just for the reason of less people being there. I nearly had her convinced that she needed to remember this was my dream and my passion for the trail was what made her appealed to the idea of having me write a book on it. That she came to me with the idea and promised i could show my love for the trail itself, that the book would be about the trail itself.

But then she started reading all these dang comments and the controversy and now she thinks me doing it NoBo would be the best read. Her reasoning is if everyone on here is so rustled about it then think how many people would read it just from the controversial standpoint alone. Which is completely the opposite of what I wanted and was promised I could do.

It has not been easy but I reminded her the whole reason I even agreed to this was because they promised the book would be about the trail itself but now she is thinking there could be two main parts. The trail and the hiker when the portion about hikers was to be the smallest part of the book. She is amazed at how the trail is supposed to be this life changing experience for people and make them more calmer and patient and loving but when I came on here to a community of hikers she sees the exact opposite. Ugh....

The conversation did not go well or so I thought but then she shot me off an email saying not to worry about our disagreement, that all editors, publishers and writers often have creative differences...what the f..k ever. Sorry, just venting here.

I am going to write this book, my way, i am contractually obligated to do some things their way but in the end my contract states the book is to be about the trail itself. Period.

God I hope people will like me, i hope I like some of them, it's just that in my work I am usually alone when I record my observations and take pics and things. I get in my head and I am all alone so I do not have distractions to worry about, but on the trail during it's busiest season, i am scared it will be too hard to do my work and enjoy the trail too.

My spouse keeps telling me to just hike my hike and write my book and all will work itself out, that life usually does in its own way.

I appreciate your kind words and encouragement, i was feeling sad and tearful after all the other comments and then fighting with my editor, but honestly your comments, made me feel better. You are right, if I approach the trail with the feeling of wanting to avoid people because of my experiences on here then I will not be doing my book, the trail, or my hike itself any real justice. Sometimes hearing someone, a stranger say some thing to you a certain way can make all the difference.

Maybe I just need to go off this site, concentrate in getting myself ready for the trail, and find my inspiration again. I have loved the idea of doing this trail since I was a girl, I know deep in my heart if I do not take this chance and hike it, I will regret it the rest of my life. I am not sure I could live with that.

Thanks again for your comments, for whatever reason they struck a chord with me.

To smoky spoon:

You started the thread in a way that some of the readers (including me) started to think that you are possibly a miserable person or difficult to deal with.

Your first post was in some ways difficult to read and keep a positive attitude toward you. I even can see why some may think your editor thing and book thing sounds fishy. It is you and your story that challenges the common sense . But if it is true then why should you care about what others think about you and your personality. You are what you are. Miserable, kind , creature of solitude or a social person .

How do you categorize yourself? Optimist or pessimist? Half empty glass type of person or half full ?

You and only you can benefit or suffer from your attitude during your AT hike. I have not hiked the AT but from what my limited experience says I am almost sure that if you do not like to socialize with others then they will leave you alone. Why ? because there are hundreds of other hikers that are eager to enjoy the social life of a trail with them. Why should they bother themselves and you when you don't like people and especially when you think people mostly won't like you.

Personally I feel you are a way better person in real life than what you have been trying to portray here in this forum. Just please do not start a long trail like AT with the presumption that you won't like the people and they won't like you. It just brings an unnecessary negative outlook to your hike. They may or may not like you but you won't know until you experience it first hand.

A book that is about AT and trail People( you said it in your posts) would not be honest if the writer does not interact with them or has a negative outlook about then from the get go.

I wish you and your book the best.

shelb
09-26-2015, 01:00
While you say you aren't interested in towns, as others mentioned - the lure of showers, a real toilet, and more food options will be a huge draw!! Perhaps, you will only restock and then head out... I could see that!

Smoky Spoon
09-26-2015, 01:02
LOL the real toilet for sure! Have you thru hiked the AT? Was wondering what you thought of it? Was it what you wanted it to be?

While you say you aren't interested in towns, as others mentioned - the lure of showers, a real toilet, and more food options will be a huge draw!! Perhaps, you will only restock and then head out... I could see that!

Kookork
09-26-2015, 01:12
Thank you for your post. I did not intend to begin my post that way, negative, i actually was trying to cover my bases and not offend anyone because everytime I post something, inevitably someone takes what I said completely out of context.

I am working with the editor on doing a SoBo hike instead of NoBo hike just for the reason of less people being there. I nearly had her convinced that she needed to remember this was my dream and my passion for the trail was what made her appealed to the idea of having me write a book on it. That she came to me with the idea and promised i could show my love for the trail itself, that the book would be about the trail itself.

But then she started reading all these dang comments and the controversy and now she thinks me doing it NoBo would be the best read. Her reasoning is if everyone on here is so rustled about it then think how many people would read it just from the controversial standpoint alone. Which is completely the opposite of what I wanted and was promised I could do.

It has not been easy but I reminded her the whole reason I even agreed to this was because they promised the book would be about the trail itself but now she is thinking there could be two main parts. The trail and the hiker when the portion about hikers was to be the smallest part of the book. She is amazed at how the trail is supposed to be this life changing experience for people and make them more calmer and patient and loving but when I came on here to a community of hikers she sees the exact opposite. Ugh....

The conversation did not go well or so I thought but then she shot me off an email saying not to worry about our disagreement, that all editors, publishers and writers often have creative differences...what the f..k ever. Sorry, just venting here.

I am going to write this book, my way, i am contractually obligated to do some things their way but in the end my contract states the book is to be about the trail itself. Period.

God I hope people will like me, i hope I like some of them, it's just that in my work I am usually alone when I record my observations and take pics and things. I get in my head and I am all alone so I do not have distractions to worry about, but on the trail during it's busiest season, i am scared it will be too hard to do my work and enjoy the trail too.

My spouse keeps telling me to just hike my hike and write my book and all will work itself out, that life usually does in its own way.

I appreciate your kind words and encouragement, i was feeling sad and tearful after all the other comments and then fighting with my editor, but honestly your comments, made me feel better. You are right, if I approach the trail with the feeling of wanting to avoid people because of my experiences on here then I will not be doing my book, the trail, or my hike itself any real justice. Sometimes hearing someone, a stranger say some thing to you a certain way can make all the difference.

Maybe I just need to go off this site, concentrate in getting myself ready for the trail, and find my inspiration again. I have loved the idea of doing this trail since I was a girl, I know deep in my heart if I do not take this chance and hike it, I will regret it the rest of my life. I am not sure I could live with that.

Thanks again for your comments, for whatever reason they struck a chord with me.

You won't believe it if I tell you that when I started posting in this forum I felt the same as you. I felt that some old members were obnoxious toward me but somebody told me (via PM) that there is a "baptism of fire " period for many of new comers and if I survived that period the rest would not be bad.

Fast forward a bit and I am thankful that I listened to him and stayed here. Lone Wolf was one of the members that gave me a hard time. His one liners usually hurts more than a truck load of text. But it did not take me too long to make peace with his personality and now I can't wait for the moment that I hike the AT and reach to Damascus and have a few beers with him. He is one of those people that have a big and soft heart but hides it behind a mask of macho personality.

you also might not believe that if for any unforeseen reason you need any kind of help around Damascus he is the one that would help you the most. I yet have to find a person that meets him in person and does not say he is a kind individual in real life.

If you go back to the first pages of white Blaze and read the first posts ( I am talking about years ago) you would find his name and posts there when there are not too many survivors from that period that are still actively involved in this forum. So if he demands respect he has some good reasons to back it up.

And finally you might not believe that reading between the lines I think he has no animosity toward you. Heck I even think he has been kinder to you compared to some of us when we started posting here.

So please stay with us longer and hopefully you will start to rip the harvest of being patient and forgiving. I for one don't like seeing you leave . This forum can and will teach you things that can save you from a lot of trials and errors in your future hikes.

Smoky Spoon
09-26-2015, 01:51
I think the thing with lone wolf that hurt so much is he reminded me of someone, he too was called a lone wolf, we were friends forever and we recently lost him. So when I saw his name all I thought was, "how cool, another lone wolf, i bet we will be fast friends". They have similar personalities, gruff when you meet them but then all soft later. My lone wolf was never gruff with me, but I was always defending him to others because they never knew how to take him. Then I meet this one on here and he was so gruff with me on everything. When he called me a miserable person, i don't know, that felt so personal and had nothing to do with anything I asked. It hurt. Seeing the name, thinking of my friend and seeing those words. It really stung, and he wouldn't let up.

I felt stupid because just before all that went down i was planning on taking a pic of my friend our lone wolf and was going to show it him when my spouse and I were at trail days together. Then he did his comments and I don't know, i felt like such an idiot. All I kept thinking was, " man if I walked up to him at Trail days and introduced my spouse and told him about our friend the lone wolf, and he said one of his one line zingers, i would of been so humiliated, my spouse would of gotten angry etc".

I just felt so foolish for thinking they were of the same cloth. I felt really stupid, you know missing my friend and thinking that maybe the universe sent us another one and really, i was just being dumb. So that is my fault, i set myself up on that one. Lesson learned.

Now why is it I can talk with you and you do not take everything I say wrong? I do not know how they expect me to write a book anyone would want to read when everything I write on here everyone seems to hate...

I was so flattered to be asked to write the book. All these years I been researching for other writers and then bam they offer me this huge opportunity. I was so excited, i felt really proud that not only was I getting the chance to do the trail but get paid to do it and actually write about it. Talk about a dream coming true.

Do you know how many years I been planning a thru hike? Lots. But every year something came up. And then my spouse told me they were not so interested in spending their retirement years thru hiking....so we agreed me doing this book and getting paid to go was a good idea, i knew it might be my only chance to go. My spouse said if I wanted to do any thru hikes to do it while they were still working because when they retire we probably will not go on any. I was pretty shocked as we had been planning on doing them for years. But they changed their mind and well, like I said before, I am afraid this will be my only chance.

Life a short time ago was so simple, i keep asking myself when did it get so complicated? I sure messed up something somewhere. I take full responsibility, now I am trying to figure out how to fix it and still do my dream of hiking the AT.

Your post back to me was really kind. Thank you so much for that and for showing earlier how I was setting myself up to fail on the trail. And for the nice words about staying. Not sure what I will do yet, everything is so confusing but hopefully I can sort it out, i made this mess now I need to unmake it.

You won't believe it if I tell you that when I started posting in this forum I felt the same as you. I felt that some old members were obnoxious toward me but somebody told me (via PM) that there is a "baptism of fire " period for many of new comers and if I survived that period the rest would not be bad.

Fast forward a bit and I am thankful that I listened to him and stayed here. Lone Wolf was one of the members that gave me a hard time. His one liners usually hurts more than a truck load of text. But it did not take me too long to make peace with his personality and now I can't wait for the moment that I hike the AT and reach to Damascus and have a few beers with him. He is one of those people that have a big and soft heart but hides it behind a mask of macho personality.

you also might not believe that if for any unforeseen reason you need any kind of help around Damascus he is the one that would help you the most. I yet have to find a person that meets him in person and does not say he is a kind individual in real life.

If you go back to the first pages of white Blaze and read the first posts ( I am talking about years ago) you would find his name and posts there when there are not too many survivors from that period that are still actively involved in this forum. So if he demands respect he has some good reasons to back it up.

And finally you might not believe that reading between the lines I think he has no animosity toward you. Heck I even think he has been kinder to you compared to some of us when we started posting here.

So please stay with us longer and hopefully you will start to rip the harvest of being patient and forgiving. I for one don't like seeing you leave . This forum can and will teach you things that can save you from a lot of trials and errors in your future hikes.

Traffic Jam
09-26-2015, 07:40

I would trust him with my life.

Even though he makes me want to gnash my teeth sometimes. :).

rickb
09-26-2015, 08:13
We are all looking for the approval of others.

rocketsocks
09-26-2015, 08:59
Spoon, folks feel how they feel, no apology needed, tell us all to go scratch an itch if it soothes your goose. Honestly I don't see ya as really hurt by all this, but then maybe ya are.

CarlZ993
09-26-2015, 15:30
Haven't read all the posts (only 1st page). Looks like an early March start going NoBo. I started later in the month (21st) & it was cold in 2013. I used mail drops almost exclusively. At the bottom of my signature line is the schedule I took & all the mail drops that I used. Many of the P.O. locations had business alternatives that I should have used but didn't.

Be sure to pack MicroSpikes or some derivative. You'll undoubtedly encounter some icy conditions. Your editor (& you) would be upset if you fall & break something two weeks into the hike (saw that happen on my hike). You may find the desire to seek towns in the early going to escape the cold (teens or lower).

It is a very social trail. For someone wishing to have some space from other people, it may be trying. It is possible to minimize the interaction w/ other hikers, I guess. Just don't camp where they camp. You may find people you wish to associate/hike with. I did. I found that it was easier to deal w/ misery (bad weather, bugs, etc) w/ someone than to listen to the demons in my head by myself.

Anyway, I wish you luck on your hike & your subsequent bestseller.

rockever2016
09-28-2015, 23:02
I am planning a thru 2016. I will have dietary restrictions necessitating food shipments. I prefer not to zero in towns, and I will be carrying more food to minimize shipments. There are many people along the length of the trail who shuttle hikers. I plan to find around twenty that are willing to receive my shipment and bring it to me. If a person is willing to pay for a shuttle to get to a town just to spend money on food and lodging, yet not to see the efficiency of having same shuttle deliver a box for a small fee, (perhaps even for free), has surprised me. Am I missing something?

rafe
09-29-2015, 00:23
I am planning a thru 2016. I will have dietary restrictions necessitating food shipments. I prefer not to zero in towns, and I will be carrying more food to minimize shipments. There are many people along the length of the trail who shuttle hikers. I plan to find around twenty that are willing to receive my shipment and bring it to me. If a person is willing to pay for a shuttle to get to a town just to spend money on food and lodging, yet not to see the efficiency of having same shuttle deliver a box for a small fee, (perhaps even for free), has surprised me. Am I missing something?

Some (most?) hikers appreciate the opportunity for a proper hot meal, shower, laundry, and sleeping in a real bed. Every few days, at least. This isn't Lewis and Clark, or the Shackleton expedition.

rockever2016
09-29-2015, 02:00
I believe that choosing to resupply every three to four days actually shackles a hiker - by making them dependent on the sidetracking necessary to resupply, the costs inherent to a town stop, and the time spent off trail. Besides, I was referring to the original post where dietary needs require a different approach.

rafe
09-29-2015, 07:22
I believe that choosing to resupply every three to four days actually shackles a hiker - by making them dependent on the sidetracking necessary to resupply, the costs inherent to a town stop, and the time spent off trail. Besides, I was referring to the original post where dietary needs require a different approach.

It cuts both ways. If town stops are less frequent, you need to carry more food, and that extra weight slows you down. There's no right or wrong here, you can choose how to go. In my observations of thru hikers over the years I've noticed lighter packs (and food loads) and more frequent town stops. The "right" interval is yours to choose. But it may well be driven by more than just food!

rockever2016
09-29-2015, 18:40
It would cut both ways if my intent was to avoid towns. I want to make the decision to go into towns when I want and not because I have to. I am trying to combine the old and the new philosophies of backpacking. Even with eight days of food at two pounds a day, my pack weight will be under 33 pounds with one liter of water.

mainelydave
09-30-2015, 00:09
Don't go away mad Smoky. Just go away.

Smoky Spoon
09-30-2015, 11:32
Hey thank you for responding, I apologize for taking so long to respond, had to work and could not come on but my spouse let me know about your response and I wanted to acknowledge it and thank you for your schedule that you listed at the end. It looks to be really helpful and I appreciate it. Thanks for the tip about the microspikes and how to avoid some of the crowds too.

Haven't read all the posts (only 1st page). Looks like an early March start going NoBo. I started later in the month (21st) & it was cold in 2013. I used mail drops almost exclusively. At the bottom of my signature line is the schedule I took & all the mail drops that I used. Many of the P.O. locations had business alternatives that I should have used but didn't.

Be sure to pack MicroSpikes or some derivative. You'll undoubtedly encounter some icy conditions. Your editor (& you) would be upset if you fall & break something two weeks into the hike (saw that happen on my hike). You may find the desire to seek towns in the early going to escape the cold (teens or lower).

It is a very social trail. For someone wishing to have some space from other people, it may be trying. It is possible to minimize the interaction w/ other hikers, I guess. Just don't camp where they camp. You may find people you wish to associate/hike with. I did. I found that it was easier to deal w/ misery (bad weather, bugs, etc) w/ someone than to listen to the demons in my head by myself.

Anyway, I wish you luck on your hike & your subsequent bestseller.

Smoky Spoon
09-30-2015, 11:56
Nice to meet a fellow hiker who seems to value hiking the trail rather than seeing the trail towns! I appreciate you responding and LOVE the idea you had of having someone shuttling my packages to me!
I keep wondering why didn't I think of that? What a great idea!
I take more than three days of food at time too and my pack weight is pretty low, not sure why everyone seems to think it cannot be done. I do it all the time with my work.
I know there is some flack on here and it was great that you responded and gave advice that pertained to my questions, I thank you for that and wanted to tell you something that a friend told me on here in private message. There is the mantra of hike your own hike and people on the trail even encourage that too. So if you or I or anyone else wants to hike the trail FOR the trail and not the towns then that is okay. Because it is our hike.
I agree with you, that if I go into town it will be because that town has something I am interested in and not because I have to, I realize that may happen from time to time but if I can lessen those instances than I am hiking the trail the way I want not the way others think I should.
I am excited to be going in 2016 and see you are going then too, I hope I get the chance to meet you on the trail next year!
I apologize not responding sooner but I was busy working and where I am at does not have internet.
Again thanks for the great idea and happy trails.

It would cut both ways if my intent was to avoid towns. I want to make the decision to go into towns when I want and not because I have to. I am trying to combine the old and the new philosophies of backpacking. Even with eight days of food at two pounds a day, my pack weight will be under 33 pounds with one liter of water.

Smoky Spoon
09-30-2015, 12:17
Oh please grow up. If your best wit is reminiscent of a twelve year old sitting in his stinky underwear with doritos and mountain dew stained teeth in front of a keyboard playing cyber bully then I feel so sad for you.
I have no intention of going anywhere, mad or otherwise, I made quite a few friends on here and have every intention of fostering those friendships just as you have every intention of always being a follower instead of a leader.
The next time you consider commenting on a thread, try to actually answer some of the questions asked instead of jumping on the bullying bandwagon. Be a leader, not a follower.

Don't go away mad Smoky. Just go away.

SAnVA
09-30-2015, 19:38
Smoky Spoon, I was hooked from the start, read every post! I, along with my 13yr. old Grandson plan on thru-hiking the AT this coming spring, our plan is to start on my birthday 3/5 but keep having second thoughts because of the large crowds and colder weather. Will probably stick to the plan though and see how it goes, maybe we will meet you on the trail, and I would really like that, contrary to some of the other posts I think you would be a very interesting person to talk to, I find your life very interesting and would love to hear about the ghost towns, mining towns, that you have visited and researched, always nice to meet people from other walks of life and hear of their experiences ( makes my life seem pretty dull ) and to get paid to hike the AT, that's a no brainer, I'm trying to scrape and scrounge just to get the gear to do it with! As for the rude people, I see that on all the different forums I have visited over the years, there are always a few that want to ruin it for everyone else, these forums are suppose to be helpful and for the most part they are but you will always have the select few who want to , as you put it , be the bully! I think you handled yourself very well though! Good luck to you on your hike and maybe our paths will cross, if not , I will certainly buy your book, take care my friend!

Hoofit
09-30-2015, 19:48
Glwaga..................

Hoofit
09-30-2015, 19:50
Go Light with a a Good attitude......works for me...

doritotex
09-30-2015, 20:39
Towns have mental health professionals and pharmacies, just in case....

rafe
09-30-2015, 20:45
towns have mental health professionals and pharmacies, just in case....

lol. . . . . :)

Kookork
09-30-2015, 21:12
Towns have mental health professionals and pharmacies, just in case....

What does this mean?

is this supposed to be funny?

Smoky Spoon
09-30-2015, 21:18
SAnVa, you sound like an interesting person to me! Wow, to be able to take your grandson on such a wonderful adventure. My granddaughter is far too young, going on four. But when she is older, who knows? You inspire me. It would be such an honor to meet you and your grandson. I am starting only a few days ahead of you so we will be sure to meet, i plan on slow going, i want to take it all in and experience the trail fully.
What gear are you all lacking? I have some extras here and would be so pleased to give some to you and your grandson if you all need/want it. It might be used but it is in good shape. You can let me know on here or pm if you are interested. I think getting a 13 year old out there is so awesome! He will have the time of his life. Has he picked out a trail name yet?
Yes there are always the few bad apples in every basket but I am fortunate, i have found quite a few shiny apples and my basket runs over! I have always been blessed, and adding you and your grandson to my friendship list would make life even nicer. So to heck with the ones that want to be mean, karma will get them in the end. I have discovered that living your life fully and happily is the best revenge. But thank you for your kind words, the world could always use kinder souls and you have a lovely one.

Smoky Spoon, I was hooked from the start, read every post! I, along with my 13yr. old Grandson plan on thru-hiking the AT this coming spring, our plan is to start on my birthday 3/5 but keep having second thoughts because of the large crowds and colder weather. Will probably stick to the plan though and see how it goes, maybe we will meet you on the trail, and I would really like that, contrary to some of the other posts I think you would be a very interesting person to talk to, I find your life very interesting and would love to hear about the ghost towns, mining towns, that you have visited and researched, always nice to meet people from other walks of life and hear of their experiences ( makes my life seem pretty dull ) and to get paid to hike the AT, that's a no brainer, I'm trying to scrape and scrounge just to get the gear to do it with! As for the rude people, I see that on all the different forums I have visited over the years, there are always a few that want to ruin it for everyone else, these forums are suppose to be helpful and for the most part they are but you will always have the select few who want to , as you put it , be the bully! I think you handled yourself very well though! Good luck to you on your hike and maybe our paths will cross, if not , I will certainly buy your book, take care my friend!

Fredt4
09-30-2015, 23:18
Interesting thread, in a weird way. My money is on this is merely a troll with no real intention on hiking, time will tell. Too many things just don't add up. On previous hikes I've met many who claim they're hiking or planning on hiking the AT and it was mostly just talk, and most those bells been rung on this thread. Either way some talk the talk, some walk the walk, this thread seems to do neither.

Smoky Spoon
10-01-2015, 12:27
Definition of an Internet troll: A person who sows discord on the internet by posting inflammatory, opinionated and off topic messages in another's thread in an online community with the intention of provoking an emotional response to disrupt the normal on topic discussion.

Enough said. Once again for those at the back of the class, try sticking to answering the questions asked or refrain from commenting.

Interesting thread, in a weird way. My money is on this is merely a troll with no real intention on hiking, time will tell. Too many things just don't add up. On previous hikes I've met many who claim they're hiking or planning on hiking the AT and it was mostly just talk, and most those bells been rung on this thread. Either way some talk the talk, some walk the walk, this thread seems to do neither.

rickb
10-01-2015, 13:08
Post edited -- good luck to all who seek something on the trail.

SAnVA
10-01-2015, 22:28
Smoky Spoon, I sent you a PM regarding your generous offer on the gear, thanks again!

Fredt4
10-01-2015, 23:16
Definition of an Internet troll: A person who sows discord on the internet by posting inflammatory, opinionated and off topic messages in another's thread in an online community with the intention of provoking an emotional response to disrupt the normal on topic discussion.

Enough said. Once again for those at the back of the class, try sticking to answering the questions asked or refrain from commenting.

Unfortunately I don't meet the definition you posted, as I'm not seeking an emotional response. Nor is my post inflammatory. Um just opining that your post rings some bells that in my experience indicates you're not serious about hiking the AT. It would be helpful if you posted something that indicates trail experience instead of indicating lack thereof. I always enjoy a good writer and would like to see a sample of your writing Note I didn't say you're a fraud as I couldn't know such from your post, I'm just stating my opinion on your posts and challenging you to provide some substance. As indicated by the other responses it's questionable if your writing skills are such that you'll draw much of an audience. As I started earlier, time will tell.

Smoky Spoon
10-02-2015, 00:15
My you think mighty high of yourself there Fred, you actually believe I owe you answers regarding anything in my life. Not sure why you think you do, and could care less what you think of my writing or anything else. Because had you taken the time to read all my posts, it clearly states I have never written a book nor claimed to. Only said I am writing one now. What you think of that I also could care less. As for my hiking experience, I addressed that in my other posts too.

Calling someone a troll, and you did, is inflammatory. So my suggestion to you sir, is to before making any comments that do fit the definition of an Internet troll, maybe you should first read the posts. Or better yet, here is an novel idea, stick to actually answering the questions asked instead of inserting your opinion where it was not needed nor invited. Stop trying to disrupt the normal flow of this thread.

And I am sorry you feel that anyone that might lack trail experience should not post. I kind of thought one of the reasons this site existed was for anyone else who may lack trail experience could come on and ask questions and get some helpful feedback. Real
answers to questions asked. Not opinions or theories.

As for drawing an audience, seems to me I draw quite a crowd on here. To tell you the truth, i actually believed that most would not read my book, I am after all a nobody. But, for whatever reason, many guys like you keep coming onto my threads and tell me I am a miserable person and cannot write or in your case, I am a troll. You all have done me an enormous favor, you convinced my editor that they are spot on, and if this site is any indication, well, they think I will get a good crowd. As you said, time will tell, and as I said, I have nothing to lose. I am paid either way, so is my equipment and trip. To me, that is a win win.

Regarding my intentions, I made that clear, to hike the AT, and to write a book about the AT. Speaking of intentions, exactly what we're yours? Why did you feel compelled to post on my thread giving your opinion and theories as to anything I am doing? Do you make this a regular habit? You know, go on other newbie threads and call them trolls and question their motiviations? Making them feel unwelcomed. Is that the point of a post like yours? To try and hijack a thread with insults and innuendo instead of actually answering ANY of the questions asked.

Must be mighty nice to think everyone needs your opinion, I guess you are a legend in your own mind.

In all seriousness, you may not like me, you may not lIke my writing, but some people on here apparently do, and in my opinion, it is rude of you to come onto another person's thread and not only insult them, not only question their intentions, not only shove your opinion down their throat so publicly but also not have the decency to actually answer any of the questions asked. If that is your idea of not being inflammatory , then you might want to check the definition of inflammatory.
Inflammatory: when in regards to writing or speech, means causing/or trying to cause a reaction via use of words that are arousing, provoking, fomenting, and/or subversive towards another.

Seems to me sir that you fit the bill of internet troll and posting inflammatory comments to a T. And while you state that I cannot write to draw a crowd, I can at least understand what my vocabulary in my post actually mean.

Please go away, i would prefer to not have to use my ignore/block icon, but I will. Your comments have nothing to do with the questions asked, you are purposely being a cyber bully, which is rude and cowardly. If you have nothing positive to contribute then please refrain from making any comments period. Thank you.

Unfortunately I don't meet the definition you posted, as I'm not seeking an emotional response. Nor is my post inflammatory. Um just opining that your post rings some bells that in my experience indicates you're not serious about hiking the AT. It would be helpful if you posted something that indicates trail experience instead of indicating lack thereof. I always enjoy a good writer and would like to see a sample of your writing Note I didn't say you're a fraud as I couldn't know such from your post, I'm just stating my opinion on your posts and challenging you to provide some substance. As indicated by the other responses it's questionable if your writing skills are such that you'll draw much of an audience. As I started earlier, time will tell.

Fredt4
10-02-2015, 07:58
For someone that "done with this thread" you're still going strong. Your post are contradictory, which indicates a total lack of seriousness. Like most things in life, this forum works best with a bit of give and take, not just take. Most successful writers have written a lot besides books, so no I'm not demanding a book, just asking for sample. I work with lots of writers and wannabes. Publishing a book and getting paid for the first book is a fantasy, therefore a strong indication you're totally BS.

Smoky Spoon
10-02-2015, 14:31
Thank you for bringing home all the points I was trying to make.

As for being done with my thread, yes I mostly got what I needed and begun a new thread as is the way I do things, you ought to know that by now since you are so keen on what I am writing. However, if someone takes the time to post some thing that does answer my questions then of course I shall take the time to acknowledge that effort. And if someone relentlessly goes on my thread spouting their uninvited opinions just to see their own words in writing and seeking attention then yes I will most likely defend my thread.

You work with a lot of writers and wannabes. Good for you. Do they give you a dictionary when speaking with you? Publishing a book and getting paid for the first time is not a fantasy, but it is extremely difficult to do. Which is why my contract states very clearly different payment options. A lot of people get some money upfront for their book and are required to submit so many pages in a certain amount of time. A lot of people are far better equipped to write a book than I am, I seriously have no formal writing experience. But I am not most people and my editor and publishing house knew that going into this project.

They came to me, I have done work for them before , rather for their writers, as in research. More than once when they had questions they called me to get the answers since I did the research. Slowly over time we built up a professional relationship. Are we friends? No, but they do know me as I know them. However we are becoming closer because of this site.

Based upon my prior work for them and the fact that if I wrote down some of my observations when doing my research and the author I did it for has to disclose those were my words and not necessarily theirs, it gave them an idea of how I write. Now do not get me wrong, the authors bought my research and now legally can claim and do claim it as theirs, but that is how it sometimes goes. Either way, I get paid for the work I was contracted to do and really it is not like I wrote a best selling paragraph, just a darn good description of what I observed firsthand. My contracts are very simple and straightforward. You get what you pay for.

When they approached me about writing a book on the trail they did so with prior knowledge of my love for the trail. Outdoor books are the rage right now and when they made a select few into movies it became more so. But each and every one of those were based on humor, overcoming personal tragedy and damn good writing. Bryson's book was one of the few books ever made that speaks about the trail in and of itself. But none of that translated into the movie. Shaffer's book did too but few can actually sit down and read it, personally I love it, but that is me. Anyway, they want a book about the trail, not about the person and their trials and triumphs on the trail.

As for my writing ability, they knew I was at a handicap going in, they did not care, they said that is what the editing process is for and if I need help they have other writers that can assist me. For now, they want my raw input as I go through this process of hiking the AT. Seeings how I am not a writer but a researcher, and seeings how I have no idea how book contracts work, because I fall under researcher, I agreed to a research contract with a book clause. In simple english, I get paid for work done, as in writing about the trail, researching it, hiking it, speaking to others about it, etc. I also had them include a gear clause, sometimes in my research I will use up my gear, depends on how long I am gone for and have it in use, where I am going, some terrains and places are rougher than others on my gear etc. It did not take a genuis to figure out the AT would be pretty rough on my gear and most likey wear some of it out.

I realize my contract is very different from a typical writers contract, but I am not a writer, I am a researcher. I am turning down other jobs to take this one job. They understood that. Besides I have absolutely no faith that my book would sell so giving me money upfront on future sells was not the wisest choice in my opinion. So I said I would do the project as long as they paid me for my work as I go along. The book clause was simple and their idea. If my writing does not meet their approval they have several options, take what I wrote and have legal claim over it and most likely have a more talented writer take over, as in I have no say so because they did already pay me for my work and time, take the book and me and have us work with another more talented writer to spruce it up or whatever, or go with what I wrote, sure some heavy editing I am certain but then when the book sells, if it sells, I get some of those proceeds. But regardless of what happens, I am still paid for the time and effort I put into the book.

As they said, everyone is putting some heavy stuff into this book, most people sit at home and write, do or pay for a little research. I am leaving my family for more than six months, I am turning down other employment, I am using up some of my own gear that I need for my other jobs when this is over. That is a big gamble financially whereas they are putting out less than their usual upfront payout for a first time writer. Either way they get a book, whether it sells, whether it is a good book, etc all remains to be seen. But they have faith in me, they tell me I have never let them down in any of my jobs for them before so in their eyes, their risk is minimal because at the very least it could fall under research material for another writer.

You claim my posts are contradictory, where? Stop putting your opinion into comments on my thread without anything to back them up. You called me a troll, the definition fit you far better, you said you were not inflammatory in your post, again the definition showed you were, you keep telling me to give you things. Why? I owe you nothing. You are nothing to me. You do not exist in my life, we are not buddies or friends or professional acquaintances. Any writing samples I have no doubt would not only be over your head but is proprietary as I stated earlier regarding my contracts. But as someone in writing, you should know that. Which brings up a few questions for us, what publishing house do you work? What exactly do you do there? What sort of literary experience do you have professionally? And are they having you submit these inquiries to me? Unless of course you are the one putting out all the BS....

For someone that "done with this thread" you're still going strong. Your post are contradictory, which indicates a total lack of seriousness. Like most things in life, this forum works best with a bit of give and take, not just take. Most successful writers have written a lot besides books, so no I'm not demanding a book, just asking for sample. I work with lots of writers and wannabes. Publishing a book and getting paid for the first book is a fantasy, therefore a strong indication you're totally BS.

Smoky Spoon
10-02-2015, 14:40
Thank you for bringing home all the points I was trying to make.

As for being done with my thread, yes I mostly got what I needed and begun a new thread as is the way I do things, you ought to know that by now since you are so keen on what I am writing. However, if someone takes the time to post some thing that does answer my questions then of course I shall take the time to acknowledge that effort. And if someone relentlessly goes on my thread spouting their uninvited opinions just to see their own words in writing and seeking attention then yes I will most likely defend my thread.

You work with a lot of writers and wannabes. Good for you. Do they give you a dictionary when speaking with you? Publishing a book and getting paid for the first time is not a fantasy, but it is extremely difficult to do. Which is why my contract states very clearly different payment options. A lot of people get some money upfront for their book and are required to submit so many pages in a certain amount of time. A lot of people are far better equipped to write a book than I am, I seriously have no formal writing experience. But I am not most people and my editor and publishing house knew that going into this project.

They came to me, I have done work for them before , rather for their writers, as in research. More than once when they had questions they called me to get the answers since I did the research. Slowly over time we built up a professional relationship. Are we friends? No, but they do know me as I know them. However we are becoming closer because of this site.

Based upon my prior work for them and the fact that if I wrote down some of my observations when doing my research and the author I did it for has to disclose those were my words and not necessarily theirs, it gave them an idea of how I write. Now do not get me wrong, the authors bought my research and now legally can claim and do claim it as theirs, but that is how it sometimes goes. Either way, I get paid for the work I was contracted to do and really it is not like I wrote a best selling paragraph, just a darn good description of what I observed firsthand. My contracts are very simple and straightforward. You get what you pay for.

When they approached me about writing a book on the trail they did so with prior knowledge of my love for the trail. Outdoor books are the rage right now and when they made a select few into movies it became more so. But each and every one of those were based on humor, overcoming personal tragedy and damn good writing. Bryson's book was one of the few books ever made that speaks about the trail in and of itself. But none of that translated into the movie. Shaffer's book did too but few can actually sit down and read it, personally I love it, but that is me. Anyway, they want a book about the trail, not about the person and their trials and triumphs on the trail.

As for my writing ability, they knew I was at a handicap going in, they did not care, they said that is what the editing process is for and if I need help they have other writers that can assist me. For now, they want my raw input as I go through this process of hiking the AT. Seeings how I am not a writer but a researcher, and seeings how I have no idea how book contracts work, because I fall under researcher, I agreed to a research contract with a book clause. In simple english, I get paid for work done, as in writing about the trail, researching it, hiking it, speaking to others about it, etc. I also had them include a gear clause, sometimes in my research I will use up my gear, depends on how long I am gone for and have it in use, where I am going, some terrains and places are rougher than others on my gear etc. It did not take a genuis to figure out the AT would be pretty rough on my gear and most likey wear some of it out.

I realize my contract is very different from a typical writers contract, but I am not a writer, I am a researcher. I am turning down other jobs to take this one job. They understood that. Besides I have absolutely no faith that my book would sell so giving me money upfront on future sells was not the wisest choice in my opinion. So I said I would do the project as long as they paid me for my work as I go along. The book clause was simple and their idea. If my writing does not meet their approval they have several options, take what I wrote and have legal claim over it and most likely have a more talented writer take over, as in I have no say so because they did already pay me for my work and time, take the book and me and have us work with another more talented writer to spruce it up or whatever, or go with what I wrote, sure some heavy editing I am certain but then when the book sells, if it sells, I get some of those proceeds. But regardless of what happens, I am still paid for the time and effort I put into the book.

As they said, everyone is putting some heavy stuff into this book, most people sit at home and write, do or pay for a little research. I am leaving my family for more than six months, I am turning down other employment, I am using up some of my own gear that I need for my other jobs when this is over. That is a big gamble financially whereas they are putting out less than their usual upfront payout for a first time writer. Either way they get a book, whether it sells, whether it is a good book, etc all remains to be seen. But they have faith in me, they tell me I have never let them down in any of my jobs for them before so in their eyes, their risk is minimal because at the very least it could fall under research material for another writer.

You claim my posts are contradictory, where? Stop putting your opinion into comments on my thread without anything to back them up. You called me a troll, the definition fit you far better, you said you were not inflammatory in your post, again the definition showed you were, you keep telling me to give you things. Why? I owe you nothing. You are nothing to me. You do not exist in my life, we are not buddies or friends or professional acquaintances. Any writing samples I have no doubt would not only be over your head but is proprietary as I stated earlier regarding my contracts. But as someone in writing, you should know that. Which brings up a few questions for us, what publishing house do you work? What exactly do you do there? What sort of literary experience do you have professionally? And are they having you submit these inquiries to me? Unless of course you are the one putting out all the BS....

Slo-go'en
10-02-2015, 15:23
I think we got a pretty good idea of your writing style from the very long winded replies. I have to admit, I have trouble getting past the first paragraph. Take lots of notes on the trail and hire a ghost writer...

Smoky Spoon
10-02-2015, 15:32
I posted twice and that was not intentional. Yes my posts can be long, but in my experience, on here a person needs to explain their self in depth because of so many people just dying to find some thing to jump onto and insert their uninvited opinion. I am trying to keep the thread to stay on topic, and it works until again, some one has to come on and give their uninvited opinions that has nothing to do with the questions being asked in the original post and throw the thread off topic. I notice it happens on so many of the threads on this site. Lots of opinion givers, but no real advice being given. You are so funny, you tell me to not write so long winded but to take lots of notes....lol

Ghost writer is looking better and better everyday for just this site responses alone. :)

Thanks for posting, happy trails.

I think we got a pretty good idea of your writing style from the very long winded replies. I have to admit, I have trouble getting past the first paragraph. Take lots of notes on the trail and hire a ghost writer...

John B
10-02-2015, 18:02
You remind me a lot of someone who was here several years ago -- WIA Pilot. I'd suggest to study Hemingway for brevity and succinctness and perhaps read Anish's blogs for... well... you'll know after you read her stuff. For hiking advice, I like Hoofit's axiom -- do that and you'll go far. Best of luck to you!

doritotex
10-02-2015, 18:11
What does this mean?

is this supposed to be funny?
No, it's not funny, just helpful feedback.