PDA

View Full Version : TarpTent Moment DW? Feedback?

Lnj
09-23-2015, 14:45
Does anyone have one, used one, have some experience to share? Shopping is all.:-?

Lnj
09-23-2015, 16:55
Is this just a phantom tent that doesn't truly exist? Not a peep from anyone....???

Venchka
09-23-2015, 18:38
It has been around 2-3-4-5 year now. GOOGLE knows. Try Backpacking Light. Those folks love to Geek Out on gear.
Also try The Section Hiker Review pages and Outdoor Gear Lab. You Tube videos as well.

Wayne

PAHiker
09-24-2015, 13:13
I have used both the Moment DW and SW versions.

My DW pros:
-Double wall of course - no intimate contact with the condensation
-Quick and easy set up with only 2 stakes required (optional freestanding mode as well)
-Nice size for 1 person
-Weatherproof
-Useful vestibules - can actually fit pack in one vestibule and access the pack easily from inside the tent
-Can (and did) cook in vestibule if needed
-Really nice ventilation options - can open both fly doors for good cross flow
-Lightweight enough for my needs

-My Dw Cons:(none of these were deal breakers - just had to learn how to live with it)
-Can be a bit narrow when maneuvering around to get dressed
-Felt that on sloped ground the inner tent walked around a bit under the outer tent

I regressed and got rid of the DW Moment and bought an older SW Moment.

My SW Pros:
-Lighter weight
-Same quick and easy set up as the DW with 2 stakes
-The SW design has only 1 vestibule which is on the door side so the interior actually has more width
-SW design allows opening/closing the end vents from inside the tent
-Interior does not seem to walk around as much as the DW version

My SW Cons:
-Only having 1 door prevents being able to open both doors for maximum cross ventilation - you can raise the outer walls to get more ventilation however
-SW means no barrier between the user and the condensation - Interior is big enough that I don't really rub the outer walls anyway - either version will have the condensation so you need to dry the outer tent before packing either way

So far I am satisfied with the lighter weight and bigger interior space of the SW.

Either one is a great all around tent in my opinion for my needs.

Lnj
09-24-2015, 14:34
Perfect PAHiker!! Thank you!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Very helpful.

theoilman
09-24-2015, 18:02
I really like my Moment SW (bought it about 1 1/2 years before the DW came out). Plenty of room! Easy to set up. Sets up dry even in rain. Carrying is convenient for me - I stick one end in one of the mesh pockets of my pack (usually meant for water bottles), and a single strap to hold the top. Secure, and first thing ready to set up camp. Yes, like any single wall condensation is an issue, but it is big enough that I rarely brush the walls (I am 6'). Inside pockets in mesh that I stow my glasses and headlight in at night so really convenient. At exactly 2 lbs (including bag, pole, stakes, and after seam-sealing) definitely in the light weight category.

Lnj
09-25-2015, 09:01
I really like my Moment SW (bought it about 1 1/2 years before the DW came out). Plenty of room! Easy to set up. Sets up dry even in rain. Carrying is convenient for me - I stick one end in one of the mesh pockets of my pack (usually meant for water bottles), and a single strap to hold the top. Secure, and first thing ready to set up camp. Yes, like any single wall condensation is an issue, but it is big enough that I rarely brush the walls (I am 6'). Inside pockets in mesh that I stow my glasses and headlight in at night so really convenient. At exactly 2 lbs (including bag, pole, stakes, and after seam-sealing) definitely in the light weight category.

Good to know. The functions I am interested in in the DW is the condensation benefit and the freestanding option, but I do need room in there, so maybe the SW is the better way to go, given the extra room. Thanks for the input. This is very helpful. I am about 5'8", but I'm a heavy lady too, so the more room the better.

bigcranky
09-25-2015, 09:24
You could also look at the Notch if you use trekking poles.

I had a Moment single wall and very much liked it. Gave it to a young friend who is a Boy Scout, and he uses it every month.

bigcranky
09-25-2015, 09:24
You could also look at the Notch if you use trekking poles.

I had a Moment single wall and very much liked it. Gave it to a young friend who is a Boy Scout, and he uses it every month.

PAHiker
09-25-2015, 09:29
Find someone near you with a Moment tent who will let you set it up and try it on for size. That is the only way you will really know if the interior size suits your needs. Better yet would be to borrow one that you could use for a night or two to find out how it performs for you in real world conditions.

Dochartaigh
09-25-2015, 09:58
Good to know. The functions I am interested in in the DW is the condensation benefit and the freestanding option

The single layer Moment can also be setup in freestanding mode. Just takes the extra pole (which I assume is the same method the newer double layer version uses).

As has already been said, I absolutely LOVE the setup of this tent. Insert the single tent pole, then one stake on either end and it's literally setup in a minute flat. Easiest tent to setup I've ever used.

I did find it pretty small though. Completely adequate for a lightweight tent to be honest, but being a bigger guy I still always found myself up against one side, or one of the ends. For reference my single-layer Moment weighed 32.23 ounces for tent, pole, stakes, stuff sack, seam-sealing. The Tyvek footprint was 4.4 ounces.

capehiker
09-25-2015, 16:46
I had the DW (I posted a first look vid on YouTube) and really enjoyed it. I had it seam sealed by Henry and it held up spectacularly during several prolonged downpours. I had no condensation issues. I really like Tarptent shelters and they hold a sentimental place in my heart. I sold it for two reasons: space and weight. I came into extra cash and splurged for the Zpacks Duplex (a pound lighter). I'm a taller guy with broad shoulders and really wanted the extra room.

For the price, functionality, and ease of use, I can't recommend Tarptent enough.

Vegan Packer
09-25-2015, 17:06
I came into extra cash and splurged for the Zpacks Duplex (a pound lighter).

How do you like that Duplex? Any issues that we should know about?

capehiker
09-25-2015, 17:52

I love it. I really do. I have gotten the occasional condensation on really humid nights with no wind but I keep the doors open and I stay well ventilated. It's a palace for one at a scant 21 ounces (everything included).

If I was to be really pressed for a con, I would say it doesn't pack down small and it takes up a larger foot print of space, which in my eyes, is very minimal.

Vegan Packer
09-26-2015, 02:21
I love it. I really do. I have gotten the occasional condensation on really humid nights with no wind but I keep the doors open and I stay well ventilated. It's a palace for one at a scant 21 ounces (everything included).

If I was to be really pressed for a con, I would say it doesn't pack down small and it takes up a larger foot print of space, which in my eyes, is very minimal.

I've heard nothing but good things about it. Looks like a good investment. It looks really roomy inside, too.

SteelCut
09-26-2015, 06:48

I have the Duplex and I agree with capehiker's comments.

My only real criticism (other than the price) is that I get splash back under the doors during a heavy rain if I setup on a dirt surface or if water pools by the doors. (I don't believe the YouTube videos stating otherwise). I've experimented with shortening the trekking poles in this situation but the tent really doesn't pitch well when lowered.

tarantolk
09-26-2015, 17:02
I've got a moment dw from tarptent and it's the best purchase I've ever made. I also have the solid inner that I swapped out with the mesh And used it all summer in Alaska since the temp drops at night. It's been great to me. I love it! Highly recommended.

tarantolk
09-26-2015, 17:03
Also, I use it freestanding most of the time.

4Bears
10-10-2015, 15:48
For more info on the DW do search of the forums, there have been several threads on it.

Venchka
10-11-2015, 13:02
Search everywhere, not just here. Backpackinglight, The Section Hiker, etc. Get a wider cross section of users. WhiteBlaze can be a bit narrow in focus and geography.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Just Tom
10-16-2015, 10:30
This thread is timely, I've been looking to get a cold-weather tent and the Moment DW with the liner is on my short list. My biggest concern with the Moment is how narrow it looks at the head / shoulders. At 6'1" 185lbs, am I going to fit? All those cute graphics and video animations that are avalable don't give me enough confidence. Anyone that has this tent and is roughly my size care to weigh in?

capehiker
10-16-2015, 12:24
I'm 6'2" and was 240lbs at that time and fit comfortably. It is not a palace but I never felt claustrophobic.

Here's a link to my first look with me laying in it:

http://youtu.be/BKh6eX38Bxs

Just Tom
10-16-2015, 12:41
I saw that video, thanks for creating it. At around 25 seconds in it shows a 20" wide pad, and it is touching both sides. At the point that your shoulders fall, are you pushing against the inner wall, or does it widen enough to avoid that? Secondly, the tent looks like it gets very tight such that the ceiling right over your head would be really tight, but that may just be an optical illusion from looking at the exterior.

capehiker
10-16-2015, 13:48
The floor can be cinched in or adjusted out. I usually cinched it in so I could put my pack inside the vestibule. My shoulders didn't touch. That night in the video, it rain and blew hard for several hours. The tent held up like a champ. No leaks or condensation.