PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Deep Gap NC to Amicalola starting 5/20/16

Lnj
09-23-2015, 14:52
I suspect we would be passing the bubble going the other way at that time, right? Any advice on crowd expectations, bug issues, any permits needed, et al?:confused:

SteelCut
09-23-2015, 15:00
I would doubt it. I hiked in GA this year in late May. There were a few late starting thru hikers but not alot. The trails were not crowded ... until Memorial Day weekend ... that would be my bigger concern over thru hikers at that time of year.

Lnj
09-23-2015, 15:07
Yes, we are only planning to do the GA section in about 9/10 days. We should be coming off the trail at Amicalola on Memorial Day or the day before, if all goes well.

ChrisJackson
09-23-2015, 15:07
Just be mindful of this canister requirement:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf

It is *very* easy to plan for and cruise through this section though (~5 mi). Just wanted to mention it now so you'd not be surprised later.

Lnj
09-23-2015, 15:20
Perfect. Thank you. I thought those requirements started north of where we are starting. I think we can get through there without camping, but good to know anyway. Still debating a Ursack or a canister. Could be a canister is the way to go, to not have to be concerned about specific laws/rules in certain areas.

MuddyWaters
09-23-2015, 15:34
Perfect. Thank you. I thought those requirements started north of where we are starting. I think we can get through there without camping, but good to know anyway. Still debating a Ursack or a canister. Could be a canister is the way to go, to not have to be concerned about specific laws/rules in certain areas.

It is a cannister requirement. Ursack is not acceptable.

Lnj
09-23-2015, 15:51
It is a cannister requirement. Ursack is not acceptable.

if you end up camping overnight within that particular range. I can plan around that I think. I am just debating for long term purposes. May be a canister, though overkill in most places, is the better investment, to cover the occasional regulations here and there along the way.