PDA

View Full Version : Are Snickers still king?

The Phoenix
09-23-2015, 21:18
In my 2009 thru-hike, I consumed 2-3 snickers bars a day and found them to be an excellent source of fuel and my go-to snack. I was 19 at the time with a fantastic metabolism, but I still feel Snickers is the snack of all snacks in the great outdoors.

With an upcoming hike, I am planning to bring my arsenal of nougatty, peanutty, caramel goodness. Am I missing the boat? Is there a new candy bar/energy bar/snack on the block that I am missing?

I mix it up a bit, with a Reese's fastbreak, Clif Bar, Kind bars, etc... but at the end of the day... Snickers have always reigned supreme for me.

Am I outdated in 2015?

rotorbrent
09-23-2015, 21:26
Nope they are still 250 calories a bar
one of the best calories to weight out there and it works out for the average hiker a Snickers a mile

Lone Wolf
09-23-2015, 21:27
i walked 16,000 miles between 1986 and 2000 and probably ate 4 snickers bars. they ain't all that

Pajj
09-23-2015, 21:29
I just hiked in 15' and I would say snickers are one of the only things that literally EVERYONE had all the time. Towards the end I must have been eating at least 10 a day..

BirdBrain
09-23-2015, 21:36
Peanut butter version is more calorie dense. Still 250 calories as mandated by law (no joke), but weigh less than the regular version.

Sandy of PA
09-23-2015, 21:51
Payday works better in hot weather, no chocolate to stick to the wrapper.

kayak karl
09-23-2015, 22:23
snickers freeze, reese's cups don't :)

Odd Man Out
09-23-2015, 22:38

Oh man I grew up eating Pay Days! Comfort food. That and Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts.

MuddyWaters
09-24-2015, 03:39
Much of year, chocolate is just too messy.
Have to eat it in morning or it turns to goo when warms up.

Peanut mms are my food staple.

SCRUB HIKER
09-24-2015, 05:27
Snickers is still king in my book. I want to puke after 10 Clif bars, Kind bars, 3 Musketeers, etc., etc., but I've had at least one Snickers on almost every day of 5,000 miles so far and I'm not sick of them. Sometimes they're frozen and sometimes they look like this (http://imgur.com/nVXKG8g) but I don't care.

daddytwosticks
09-24-2015, 07:08
I like Snickers but ALWAYS have M & M's: plain or peanut while on the trail. :)

SteelCut
09-24-2015, 08:02
I tend to get tired of almost everything that I'm eating. But Snickers are the one thing that I don't seem to get tired of.

bigcranky
09-24-2015, 08:52
Huh, I can't think of the last time I had a Snicker's Bar on the trail. Or off it, for that matter.

I prefer peanut M&Ms.

plexusbritt
09-24-2015, 09:07
Yes, they are still king!

If you have problems with them melting, finding a stream and hiding them in it (much like a lot us do with drinks) gets them back in shape pretty fast. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swimmer
09-24-2015, 10:07
Just loaded up on Snickers for an upcoming hike....
I eat Clif bars and PB throughout the day, save one Snickers for the end of the day/a pick me up when I need some extra motivation

AtWokman
09-24-2015, 10:40
Take five. They are great too.

Stubby
09-24-2015, 11:33
I like Snickers, but they are a mess when its hot.
I like Lara bars. Cashew Cookie is 235 calories, and it seems healthier... the ingredient list is: Dates, cashews.
Other flavors are also good, also with short ingredient lists, no chemicals.

Deacon
09-24-2015, 11:40
Snickers no doubt is one of the most palatable and delicious snacks for hikers.

During this off season, I've been searching and trying out many different trail bars. I made a spread sheet on which I listed calories, protein, fat and carbs. So far - so far, I've found the Nature Valley bars to be the most calorie dense at 152 calories/ounce, while at the same time, good tasting, meaning I would eat it day after day. They don't have that awful fiber or aluminum taste.

SteelCut
09-24-2015, 12:36
Nature Valley bars to be the most calorie dense at 152 calories/ounce

I know it's a bit of thread drift but do you have information as to what exact variety of bars are 152 cal/oz? Most of the ones that I've looked at are less than that.

bobbycobbler
09-24-2015, 13:32
I know it's a bit of thread drift but do you have information as to what exact variety of bars are 152 cal/oz? Most of the ones that I've looked at are less than that.

x2. Interested

SteelCut
09-24-2015, 14:33

I think I've partially answered my own question.... This one

http://www.generalmills.com/~/media/Images/Brands/Nutritional_Images/Nature_Valley/Roasted_Nut_Crunch_Bar/NV_Roasted_Nut_Bars_Almond_Crunch.ashx

is 190 calories for a 1.2 oz bar which is 158 calories/oz.

wormer
09-24-2015, 14:42
I have recently gone to the Snickers fun size bars. A bag of them seems to last me longer than regular size bars. The bags are 11.18 0z (317g) in size and run for about $3.00 at Wal-Mart. I have found that a bag has about 16 fun size bars per bag. I section hike with one bag of fun size Snickers and a bag of Reese's snack size peanut butter cups. The Reese's are packed with calories from sat fats 5g, sodium 150 mg and sugars22g per 2 Reese's cup servings, it gives me energy to keep me going while hiking. My feeling is your spot on.

Stubby
09-24-2015, 14:53
... what exact variety of bars are 152 cal/oz? ...

Good question...
My favorite, Lara bar cashew cookie is 135.3 cal/oz
Snickers, 100.48 cal/oz
Payday, 131.14 cal/oz
NV Granola (O&H) 128.38 cal/oz
NV Roasted Nut Crunch (PC) 154.47 cal/oz
NV Sweet n Salty Cashew 130.08 cal/oz

But what really matters to me is what tastes good, what satisfies, what motivates...

Deacon
09-24-2015, 15:12

Any of the nut crunch variety. They are 190 calories for a 1.2 oz bar.

BirdBrain
09-24-2015, 16:07
Here is a good tool for comparing nutritional data. The default is the best (metric - 100 grams).

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-facts-compare.php

ki0eh
09-24-2015, 19:06
I'm partial to the Reese's FastBreak, which is made within sight of the A.T. near Rockfish Gap (Stuarts Draft, VA)

Different Socks
09-24-2015, 20:06
i walked 16,000 miles between 1986 and 2000 and probably ate 4 snickers bars. they ain't all that

I agree!! They are treated like they are money. Ya wanna trade me for something? Try a tortilla or a bagel or any other kind of candy bar.

Malto
09-24-2015, 20:17
I haven't eaten a snickers since my PCT hike in '11. But then again it is politically incorrect to eat them since I work for a major competitor. Also, snickers aren't the best in the cold. Reese PNB eggs on the other hand are the cats meow. The small ones are bite size and 90 calories a pop. I was tempted to take 230 of them on my hike next week and eat one per mile. but Little Debbie's won the day.

Coffee
09-24-2015, 20:20
I always take snickers if temps aren't expected to be high. On the pct in SoCal this year I incorrectly assumed that it would be too hot for snickers. So I sent myself M&Ms. Even three months later I can't look at M&Ms anymore.

Dogwood
09-24-2015, 20:44

My take too. They aren't all that. Besides they are loaded with sugar NOT something I wish to carry in abundance as a UL food wt conscious hiker who gets much of his sugar as other non sugar added foods are metabolized. And, if I am having a sweet tooth moment I can think of MANY MANY other ways of satisfying it without Snickers. Snickers are CANDY bars. I KNOW I can get better trail nutrition and adequately fuel my body and mind without regularly feasting on sugar laden candy, or for that matter, any "bar" loaded with sugar.

In a 1.56 oz 215 calorie Snickers CANDY bar 20g of the calories or 20 g X 4 cals/gm = 80 Calories OF THE 215 calories are coming from sugar...refined sugar...*That's 37% of the calories - THAT YOU HAULED - are coming from sugar in a SNICKERS. Yo yo yo yo yo.... hit the wall... eat another sugar laden Snickers CANDY bar...yo yo yo yo yo....repeat.... I can think of MANY MANY more nutritionally dense equally inexpensive HIGH cal/oz ratio foods I'd rather eat - and HAUL - on hikes!

Snickers

Chocolate bar

Snickers is a brand name chocolate bar made by Mars, Incorporated. Consisting of nougat topped with caramel and peanuts, enrobed in milk chocolate, Snickers has annual global sales of $2 billion. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snickers)

Nutrition Facts

Mars Snackfood US Snickers Cruncher

Amount Per 1 serving 1.56 oz bar (44 g)

Calories 215

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 11 g

16%

Saturated fat 6 g

30%

Trans fat 0.2 g

Cholesterol 4 mg

1%

Sodium 83 mg

3%

Total Carbohydrate 28 g

9%

Dietary fiber 0.8 g

3%

Sugar 20 g

Protein 3 g

6%

Vitamin A

1%
Vitamin C
0%

Calcium

4%
Iron
1%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Dogwood
09-24-2015, 20:50
I think I've partially answered my own question.... This one

http://www.generalmills.com/~/media/Images/Brands/Nutritional_Images/Nature_Valley/Roasted_Nut_Crunch_Bar/NV_Roasted_Nut_Bars_Almond_Crunch.ashx

is 190 calories for a 1.2 oz bar which is 158 calories/oz.

There are bunch of better nutritionally dense and higher cal/oz ratio nutritional/trail bars available. BUT, there is so much overlap due to marketing, that labels, what actually amounts to overly priced candy bars, as nutritional bars.

DavidNH
09-24-2015, 20:57
Snickers will ALWAYS be king!

slbirdnerd
09-25-2015, 14:51
Snickers are king for me, but Twix are a close Queen thanks to my son!

brotheral
09-25-2015, 15:01
And they're getting tinier & tinier !! :(

lonehiker
09-29-2015, 20:48
In my 2009 thru-hike, I consumed 2-3 snickers bars a day and found them to be an excellent source of fuel and my go-to snack. I was 19 at the time with a fantastic metabolism, but I still feel Snickers is the snack of all snacks in the great outdoors.

With an upcoming hike, I am planning to bring my arsenal of nougatty, peanutty, caramel goodness. Am I missing the boat? Is there a new candy bar/energy bar/snack on the block that I am missing?

I mix it up a bit, with a Reese's fastbreak, Clif Bar, Kind bars, etc... but at the end of the day... Snickers have always reigned supreme for me.

Am I outdated in 2015?

They melt in the heat. I switch to Peanut M&Ms during the warmer months.

ZenRabbit
09-29-2015, 20:50
They should build a Snickers Shrine at the AT midpoint. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tflaris
10-05-2015, 21:53
We encounter several people who had mice eat through their bags to get to their snickers. Not a big fan of them myself.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZenRabbit
10-05-2015, 22:07
We encounter several people who had mice eat through their bags to get to their snickers. Not a big fan of them myself.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This too, should be included in the Shrine. [emoji23]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rafe
10-05-2015, 22:49
They are certainly part of AT lore but I haven't carried them for some time now. Prefer Larabars these days.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 23:06
Snickers bars are far less common of a LD hiker trail food on other non AT LD trails.

Dogwood
10-05-2015, 23:13
Eureka moment. The reason why the AT thru-hiker wanna bee completion rates are so dismal is that so many rely on Snockers, Poop Tarts, Mcpringels, Twinkles, and Munchkin Ramen as trail food gurgled down with Kookie Cola. :p :D

Tipi Walter
10-06-2015, 08:32
My take too. They aren't all that. Besides they are loaded with sugar NOT something I wish to carry in abundance as a UL food wt conscious hiker who gets much of his sugar as other non sugar added foods are metabolized. And, if I am having a sweet tooth moment I can think of MANY MANY other ways of satisfying it without Snickers. Snickers are CANDY bars. I KNOW I can get better trail nutrition and adequately fuel my body and mind without regularly feasting on sugar laden candy, or for that matter, any "bar" loaded with sugar

Eureka moment. The reason why the AT thru-hiker wanna bee completion rates are so dismal is that so many rely on Snockers, Poop Tarts, Mcpringels, Twinkles, and Munchkin Ramen as trail food gurgled down with Kookie Cola. :p :D

Exactly right. Quitting sugar is like quitting alcohol---most people can't do it.

Lawton "Disco" Grinter is a triple crowner and did two thruhikes of the PCT and has done 12,000+ trail miles since 1999. He says it best:
" . . . .2 pounds of gummy bears per day will get you nowhere on the trail. Nowhere but sick. Junk food is best avoided. We all know what junk food is too. Keep it out of your backpacks as much as possible. Focus on bringing foods with ingredients you can pronounce. Less is more!"

Amen brother.

Here are the ingredients in a snickers bar---
MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, PALM OIL, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, EGG WHITES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR. ALLERGY INFORMATION: CONTAINS PEANUTS, MILK, EGG AND SOY. MAY CONTAIN TREE NUTS.

Other than the processed white sugar, the worst one is Hydrogenated soybean oil. Why snickers still uses it in their food is amazing considering all the study finding it harmful to health. Check this out---

http://www.naturalnews.com/024694_oil_food_oils.html#

The say hydro oil is one molecule away from being plastic.

But heck, do your own google search and see if you can find anyone saying hydrogenated oil is good for you.

See Grinter's words here---

http://sectionhiker.com/trail-food-the-most-important-piece-of-gear-in-your-pack-by-lawton-disco-grinter/

Deadeye
10-06-2015, 11:54
Snickers are loaded with calories, and loaded with added sugar and a bunch of unsavory ingredients. You can get the same calories with a couple of dates and a handful of nuts, nothing added, and a whole lot cheaper.

Tipi Walter
10-06-2015, 12:01
Snickers are loaded with calories, and loaded with added sugar and a bunch of unsavory ingredients. You can get the same calories with a couple of dates and a handful of nuts, nothing added, and a whole lot cheaper.

Exactly. It's why we carry ziploc bags of raisins and dates and Larabars and fresh walnuts and nut butters and peanut butter and even honey. A thousand snickers alternatives.

The Phoenix
10-06-2015, 16:04
I'm going to keep pounding the Snickers. Perhaps someday I'll pay for it, perhaps not. Everything in moderation... I can't tell you the last candy bar or soda I've had off the trail, but when I'm hiking... I'll put down some Snickers & Mountain Dew... hike my ass off and enjoy the process.

Give me a few Little Debbie snacks in the process... those oatmeal raisin pie things are incredible. Oh & a whoopie pie while trekkin through Maine too! :)

It's all overrated. Eat like a Saint and ______ will kill you. Don't do _______, ***** is gonna get you. Be happy, do what you want to do, without harming others, and that's about it.

I'm not going to cram a Big Mac down a health nuts throat, and I don't excpect Whole Foods & grass fed whatever to be thrown my way. I personally think the new trend of eating healthy/organic/natural is a tad overrated, but others swear by it. I'm going to continue my ways of moderation, and without Tipi, Wolf, and Dogwood to share em with... that's a few more for me.

Dogwood
10-06-2015, 16:54
That's all good for you Phoenix but perhaps you've forgotten your thread title posed in the form of a question....Are Snickers still king? When you ask for responses do you always assume they will exactly agree with your own thoughts and THEN when they don't beat folks over the head for their responses....YOU ASKED FOR? Just sayin. Oops maybe I shouldn't say anything? :rolleyes

The Phoenix
10-06-2015, 17:35
That's all good for you Phoenix but perhaps you've forgotten your thread title posed in the form of a question....Are Snickers still king? When you ask for responses do you always assume they will exactly agree with your own thoughts and THEN when they don't beat folks over the head for their responses....YOU ASKED FOR? Just sayin. Oops maybe I shouldn't say anything? :rolleyes

No beating folks over the head... just throwing my two pennies into the ring. All worth the same amount in my book... If somebody wants to eat kale chips instead of Doritos... all good. If somebody wants some pork & beans out of a can, all good. Diversity is a great thing, on the trail, off the trail... it doesn't matter.

To each their own, nothing more to say. You are right, I asked an opinion question, got some opinions, offered my response and thoughts. Nothing more, nothing less.

QiWiz
10-09-2015, 16:05

+1
I like all types of Snickers but in really hot weather you better eat them early in the day (or substitute Payday)

The Phoenix
12-01-2015, 18:16
FWIW, I went my entire 2015 trek without purchasing a Snickers bar. I got a few via trail magic, but I stuck to Kind Bars, Clif Bars, and primarily trail mix.

I didn't notice much of a difference one way or the other... but moving forward, I will be including Snickers in my hiking diet once more.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
12-01-2015, 20:07
Snicker s are still King with me, ,completed the Santiago de Compostela in Oct. 790 km and eat nineteen snickers in 30 days. Also the choice of most small cafe on the Camino. Also my choice on my two thur hike attempts. I Still have two and halfs states to complete, so don't eat all of the Snickers. I do agree you have to eat them as soon as you buy them in hot weather. However you can't beat a cold snickers bar Spring ,Fall, Winter.

RockDoc
12-01-2015, 22:19
An ounce of sugar, a strong dose of partially hydrogenated oil, artificial flavor. GMO corn syrup .... in a word, YUCK. SNICKERS® Bar Ingredients Declaration: MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, PALM OIL, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, EGG WHITES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR. ALLERGY INFORMATION: CONTAINS PEANUTS, MILK, EGG AND SOY. MAY CONTAIN TREE NUTS.

Sarcasm the elf
12-01-2015, 22:27
An ounce of sugar, a strong dose of partially hydrogenated oil, artificial flavor. GMO corn syrup .... in a word, YUCK. SNICKERS® Bar Ingredients Declaration: MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, PALM OIL, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, EGG WHITES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR. ALLERGY INFORMATION: CONTAINS PEANUTS, MILK, EGG AND SOY. MAY CONTAIN TREE NUTS.

Really, Partially Hydrogenated oils, when did they slip that in? I guess I need to read ingredients lists more often to look for changes. That ingredient alone knocks them off my list.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
12-01-2015, 22:57
It must be me, I've never had anyone I offered a snickers bar turn one down while hiking the AT. But what do I know I still eat Sugarpops, Frosted Flakes, And plan on going to my Assistant living at 75..That will be in 8 yeRs

evyck da fleet
12-01-2015, 23:10
My go to snack is a bag of peanut butter M&Ms. Hershey's Miniatures also work when it gets hot because of the wrapper. Starburst too but not if they get wet. But my sugary snacks are usually devoured after I eat lunch #1 lunch #2 or dinner for the extra calories.

While hiking, my snack of choice is Peanut Butter and Honey crackers. Cliff bars and trail mix will be mixed in for variety. No snickers for me.

Don H
12-02-2015, 09:33
I went from Snickers to M&M Peanuts when the weather got warm enough to start making the Snickers melt in my pack.

Phoenix, anyone who hikes the entire AT in Crocs can eat whatever they want ;)

The Phoenix
12-02-2015, 11:07
The best metaphor I heard while hiking is... "It's like putting an ice cube in a furnace", this triple crowner went on to say that it doesn't really matter what you consume as you long as you eat enough. I tend to agree with that mindset, but everyone is always going to be a bit different.

hikerhobs
12-05-2015, 11:00
Almond joy's ��

Uncle Joe
12-05-2015, 12:29
Wait, you can get dates on the trail? <puts down beer...exits bar> Sweet!

ocourse
06-17-2016, 21:01
Several years ago, I carried Snikers and I thought they were the best trail snack. But they don't have anything useful, and nothing healthy - just calories. These days I would never eat one.

Sarcasm the elf
06-17-2016, 21:15
Of course they're still King, that position doesn't have term limits.

MuddyWaters
06-17-2016, 21:35
Several years ago, I carried Snikers and I thought they were the best trail snack. But they don't have anything useful, and nothing healthy - just calories. These days I would never eat one.

More for me.

If you eat white bread, white rice, things made with flour, any refined products really, its the same. In fact, some of those are worse for you. They "enrich" bread because its so bad. And rice. And pasta. Might as well take a daily multi vitamin,, same thing.

Point is, most of most everyones diet is crap. Pure crap.

Despite what dentist wants you to believe, cavities are not related so much to not brushing with flouride toothpaste, as they are to POOR DIET and overall health. The teeth are an excellent barometer of health. If brushing with flouride worked, there would be no need for dentists.

It was observed 100 yrs ago that native peoples eating native diets had nearly perfect teeth. Upon introduction of refined flour and sugar to them they developed same teeth issues as rest of us. And other illnesses. Its all due to refined flours, sugars, etc. instead of whole natural foods. It has nothing to do with not brushing, or not getting flouride. Giant scam.

All im really saying is, snickers isnt that much worse than much of many peoples every day diets. Yes , its sad.

zelph
06-17-2016, 21:42
Baby Ruth is much better IMHO, nuttier, more calories ;)

Dogwood
06-18-2016, 11:55
Bewildered by the number of hikers even LD hikers that mistakenly assume because one usually needs greater calories on trail then it's suddenly aOK to ignore the rest of nutrition or ingredients as if they suddenly have no consequence??? :rolleyes::confused:

CamelMan
06-18-2016, 12:28
Most people don't know much about nutrition except for what's in the media, including ads. Most people just eat what's available.

Connie
06-18-2016, 13:28
I think the "food industry" has dumbed-down the people, in the name of consummerism.

I also think Snickers is not using so much chocolate, as a flavored syrup substitute for chocolate. This opinion is based on "one Snickers satisfaction" is lacking, and their adding the super-size Snickers.

I used to have one Snickers, that satisfied. That's it, per a one weeklong hike.

Sarcasm the elf
06-18-2016, 15:52
Baby Ruth is much better IMHO, nuttier, more calories ;)

A coworker brought in a mixed bag of those tiny candy bars yesterday and I had ended up having my first baby ruth in years. I had forgotten how good they are.

rocketsocks
06-18-2016, 18:02
I been lookin' for Mr. Good Bar, lotsa nuts.

zelph
06-18-2016, 19:50
Ohhh, to have a couple of "Mounds" bars.....now that's good stuff and nutritious ;) almonds, coconut and chocolate Oh my!

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2016, 20:27
Really, Partially Hydrogenated oils, when did they slip that in? I guess I need to read ingredients lists more often to look for changes. That ingredient alone knocks them off my list.

This small amount would not harm you and its to prevent going rancid in a hot day.

Gonecampn
06-18-2016, 21:09
YES!! and Score bars :)

DavidNH
06-18-2016, 23:10
snickers always has been and always will be king!! More calories per square inch than any other item of food you can dream up! Plus they taste great!