PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah in Oct. First Section Hike. Parking etc.

FloydBanks
09-23-2015, 23:31
Hi all.

After growing up camping and continuing all through college, I have decided to kick back into gear after a brief hiatus (3 kids). I want to begin section hiking the AT, ~2 trips a year for my sanity and to hopefully instill the love for the outdoors I have into my kids.

I Picked the SNP mainly due to proximity (coming from Annapolis) and because it should be beautiful in the second week of Oct when I am going to head out. I am looking to do 2-3 nights, approx 50 miles. I want to park my car in Front Royal, near 522 and go south to or below Big Meadows and Hike northbound back to my car on the AT (with a few Scenic additional stops as well).

My main question is parking/transport.

1. Where is the best, legal place to park in Front Royal to leave a car for a few days.
2. Is there a Shuttle that runs south or is hitching the best option?
3. Any cant miss recommendations? Fall, Shelter, anything..

I am excited to be a part of this community and I hope to be an active member. Thanks for any assistance or advice.

FLOYD

Deer Hunter
09-24-2015, 00:26
I have used Sharon a couple times. I would recommend her. I believe you could leave your vehicle at her house.

Sharon's Shuttles
Sharon Johnson
Front Royal, VA
703/946-9404 [call first]
703/615-5612 [cell]
540/622-6422 [home] ...

bigcranky
09-24-2015, 06:50
Don't start at the US 522 road crossing and hike south into the park. The first few miles are not at all fun, at least they weren't for us (and we were nobo).

In general, and in particular with kids, I always parked at my starting location and got a shuttle back to the car when I was finished. It's difficult to know how far you'll hike over a 3 or 4 day period, and we didn't want to pay for two shuttles. (Ask me how I learned this lesson... :) ) Set up a shuttle in advance for the end, and just let them know that you'll call with your ending location the day before.

You can leave your car at the trail crossings in the park. It almost doesn't matter where you start, it's a nice place to hike. Get the AT Companion or Guide so you can have the mileage to various huts and camp sites. Make sure you take the side trails to the waysides and get your kids a burger and a blackberry milkshake; also take the side trails to the views, as there are some great ones. I'd start at US 33 Swift Run Gap and hike northbound. Spend the first night tenting at Bearfence Hut, then the second day you get to Big Meadows after 8 miles, where you can get a nice meal at the wayside. I don't recall where the next hut/campsite is, but they are not far apart. You could also start at Compton Gap and hike southbound.

The park will likely be crowded in October. Good luck and happy hiking.

volleypc
09-24-2015, 08:30
Just keep in mind that there is a possible government shutdown starting Oct. 01. SNP will be closed, waysides, restrooms, etc will be closed. I don't know how it will impact being able to hike on the Trail.

Gambit McCrae
09-24-2015, 09:49
Just keep in mind that there is a possible government shutdown starting Oct. 01. SNP will be closed, waysides, restrooms, etc will be closed. I don't know how it will impact being able to hike on the Trail.

SNP is free to hike, skyline drive is not a park road it is a highway(I think?), And so if you start at rockfish gap outside of the park you should be fine!

volleypc
09-24-2015, 10:14
SNP is free to hike, skyline drive is not a park road it is a highway(I think?), And so if you start at rockfish gap outside of the park you should be fine!

It is a Park Road and is managed by the NPS. The Park has not released info to date on the closure that I can find but typically they have let you hike, but campgrounds, waysides, restrooms, etc were closed. I should have been a bit more clear. My main reason for posting this is so the OP knows to make sure he carries supplies he needs with him, don't expect to be able to stop by a wayside for meals, snacks, etc (which is very common for hikers in the SNP). Some parks do close the park to Hiking as well so I would not assume it will be open to hiking just because it was last time. You didn't say when in Oct either. If it is later into the month it probably wouldn't impact you anyway.

Coffee
09-24-2015, 12:44
During the 2013 shutdown the AT through the park was NOT officially open to the public. Yes some people used the SNP trail system anyway but they were not supposed to do so. I remember that screwed up fall season well and hope we don't have a repeat.

FloydBanks
09-24-2015, 13:03
Thanks for all of the replies. For a little clarification. I will be heading out on Oct 18 for 3-4 days. I will NOT have any of the kiddos with me for this trip. I will bring enough supplies for the trip but wouldn't be disappointed if I had to stop for one of these Milkshake pitstops I keep hearing about.

I really appreciate the heads up on possible closures. I will try to dig into this and possibly see if I can contact someone at SNP for some clarification.

FloydBanks
09-24-2015, 13:10
Just as an FYI to anyone else that was curious, Just spoke to the main office at SNP. There are currently no plans to shut down the park in October. So that is good news.

Coffee
09-24-2015, 13:26
Just as an FYI to anyone else that was curious, Just spoke to the main office at SNP. There are currently no plans to shut down the park in October. So that is good news.

They wouldn't have any plans. It all depends on whether Congress passes a budget or at least a continuing resolution providing funding beyond October 1. If there is a shut down there will be next to zero notice, just like last time in Oct 2013. During the shut down, it was technically "illegal" to use even urban national parks around Washington DC (all of the runners and cyclists ignored it however). They did petty things like lock up portapotties. It was ridiculous.