PDA

View Full Version : Easy/moderate overnight section in MA or VT?

jESQa
09-24-2015, 22:17
Looking to do a 2-day, 13-18 mile section in MA or VT in 2 weeks on the moderate or easier side. Seems like I'm striking out with most lower VT/upper MA hikes i found in our guide books. We're both athletic but will have 2 very small dogs with us, so the concern is making sure it's doable for them. They walk a lot with us, just not in steep terrain. Thanks in advance!

gsingjane
09-25-2015, 07:36
Off the top of my head, the portion of the AT that runs between Upper Goose Pond and Kay Wood Shelter outside Dalton, in northern Mass., is not incredibly difficult and should not include too too much climbing for your doggies. I think that is about 18 miles.

Jane

adamkrz
09-25-2015, 07:45
I would park at Beartown state forest in Southern Mass. - You could camp there one night ( dog friendly ) Then go north a couple of miles on the A.T. to South Wilcox shelter and spend the night.

jESQa
09-29-2015, 14:21
thanks for the replies. the Dalton/ Upper Goose section looks like a good option. We would park at one end. Any advice on how to get a shuttle to the other?

Foxhikes
10-05-2015, 14:07
IIRC there is a good bus system that links most of the little downs in MA if you're going between two of them - Berkshire Regional Transit? I'm not sitting down with my maps rn, but http://berkshirerta.com/schedules.php?route=411&direction=I&timing=W this route should take you from Upper Goose Pond area -- walk west into Lee -- back thru Pittsfield to Dalton.