PDA

View Full Version : Where will you be on August 21, 2017???????????????????????

Venchka
09-25-2015, 08:17
I can tell you where you will want to be.
On the AT. Between Springer Mountain and Newfound Gap.
Why you ask?
So that you can observe the total solar eclipse.
Get some dark welder's glasses for safe viewing. :cool:

Or, you could be on the PCT or CDT.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

Cheers!

Wayne

BirdBrain
09-25-2015, 09:29
Interesting. I have been waiting for the one on 4/8/2024 since the late 90's. It has been easy to remember because of the multiples of 4. I was unaware of the one you list. The last one I experienced was in the summer of 1963. Now I am off to check the path of the one you list.

coach lou
09-25-2015, 09:57
I hope I can see it from the 100 mile wilderness.:D

Malto
09-25-2015, 12:22
Don't know about then but I know that I will be in the Adirondacks Sunday for the Super Harvest Luner Eclipse.

Venchka
09-25-2015, 12:32
Eclipse? 100 Mile Wilderness? I don't think so.
Lunar Eclipse: I'll be on the roof of the parking garage at my apartment. Great view. Too much light pollution. Best I can do.

Wayne

kjbrown
09-25-2015, 12:53
I have been planning my TH to be in that area :)

Another Kevin
09-25-2015, 12:54
Don't know about then but I know that I will be in the Adirondacks Sunday for the Super Harvest Luner Eclipse.

Cool! I'm heading up to Northville for a day trip on Sunday myself, but I can't stay the night (have to work on Monday). I'll surely be looking for the Blood Moon from Schenectady. I might even break out my Dobsonian telescope. .

Smoky Spoon
09-25-2015, 20:25
Licky you, I am jealous.

JumpMaster Blaster
09-26-2015, 06:21
At first I was thinking I'd hopefully be somewhere north of Mt Washington headed towards Maine on a thru hike. Then I did some quick research & realized the enire AT between Dick's Creek Gap & Newfound Gap will be in total eclipse!

Standing Indian, Albert Mountain, Franklin (!), Siler Bald, Wayah Bald, Wesser Bald, the NOC, Cheoah Bald, Fontana Dam, Silers Bald, Clingman's Dome, and Newfound Gap all are in the total eclipse path and seem to be great veiwing areas (except I'd get as far away from a road as possible to avoid toursists).

Hmm, maybe I'll have to do some kind of rogue flip-flop to accomodate this. :cool:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

rocketsocks
09-26-2015, 10:07
unfortunately many will be socked in...ugh!

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/96fndfd.gif

Feral Bill
09-26-2015, 10:56
I'll probably be on the trail in New England in August 2017, but I'll travel south for the eclipse. The impending lunar eclipse I'll watch from the park down the street.

BirdBrain
09-27-2015, 21:54
Hey all you PoHo's! Get off your computers and go outside and look at the moon. I am trying to get a good picture. If I get one, I will post it. I don't have film for my AE-1. That is what I used for Hale-Bopp and got some great pictures. We will see how the digital camera works on this stuff soon.

BirdBrain
09-27-2015, 23:41
Hey all you PoHo's! Get off your computers and go outside and look at the moon. I am trying to get a good picture. If I get one, I will post it. I don't have film for my AE-1. That is what I used for Hale-Bopp and got some great pictures. We will see how the digital camera works on this stuff soon.

The best I could do. Fought clouds the whole time.

Old Hiker
09-28-2015, 08:17

Hard to see through rain and clouds here in FL last night.

As for 21 AUG 17 - a Monday - probably at work.

rocketsocks
09-28-2015, 10:33
The best I could do. Fought clouds the whole time.
They came out great BB, thanks for posting.

BirdBrain
09-28-2015, 10:56
They came out great BB, thanks for posting.

Thanks. Would have done much better with my AE-1. Stars blur at 30 seconds exposure due to the Earth's rotation. The moon blurs at 10 seconds due to its movement. It took me to almost the end to get the aperture, ISO, and exposure adjusted. The clouds were a pain. I would wait 10 minutes for a small window, scramble, adjust, and take a shot. It was fun all the same.