PDA

View Full Version : Cell coverage in GSMNP

LesterC
09-25-2015, 08:41
I will be going NOBO Fontana to Davenport next week. Haven't done that area since 1968. The cell coverage was not good then. Sorry if this has been asked and answered but can someone give me an idea about this issue. I am on Verizon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TNhiker
09-25-2015, 08:59
hiking along the AT?

potentially, you may have some coverage along the higher ridgeline....

a few years ago, i would get a weak signal (on verizon) at clingmans....

i have however, gotten coverage in some weird places along fontana lake.............like CS 76, i got a great signal...............guessing there's a tower in across lake for the bryson city area..............

HooKooDooKu
09-25-2015, 09:08
Since the AT follows the ridge line, there will be some spots where you will get some degree of cell coverage. But you are so far away from the towers that weather conditions will effect signals.

Suffice it to say that cell coverage has not significantly improved most parts of the GSMNP since 1968.

TNhiker
09-25-2015, 09:16
Suffice it to say that cell coverage has not significantly improved most parts of the GSMNP since 1968.

except on the shoreline of fontana..........

and campsite 46-----had great coverage there, surprisingly.................

Slo-go'en
09-25-2015, 09:21

Since cell phones didn't exist in 1968, any improvement would be significant :)

HooKooDooKu
09-25-2015, 09:40
campsite 46-----had great coverage there, surprisingly.................
The valley lines up real well with Bryson City

HooKooDooKu
09-25-2015, 09:47
Since cell phones didn't exist in 1968, any improvement would be significant :)
Oh come on people... this was said with tongue-in-cheek humor...

But at the same time, it was also accurate. I included the phrase MOST parts of GSMNP... and given that in MOST parts of GSMNP you can not get a usable cell signal... the statement was accurate.

LesterC
09-28-2015, 06:47
HKDK. That explains why I couldn't get a call out in '68. Thanks to all for input. This sounds like the coverage in the Nantahalas. I will keep it on airplane mode and use the iPhone as a dedicated camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Traffic Jam
09-28-2015, 07:58
Recently, I had great service at the intersection of the AT and Twentymile Trail (just up from Shuckstack FT). I've also had ok service at Mollies Ridge shelter, great service at Ice Water Spring shelter, and great service at an open/viewing spot somewhere between Charlies Bunion and Pecks Corner (maybe on Laurel Top?)

I have Verizon

Wet Foot
09-28-2015, 08:43
Just did the AT through the GSMNP this summer. Crappy cell coverage with AT&T/Cingular. My bro had slightly better coverage w/Verizon, but not much. Nothing at Clingman's and we had a bar or two at Mollies ridge and one or two other shelters. Good coverage at Fontana Dam when we finished.

MuddyWaters
09-28-2015, 10:35
Zero att
Decent verizon