PDA

View Full Version : What do you drink coffee/tea from?

rickb
12-01-2005, 15:05
This poll asks what you drink you hot beverages from.

For me, an insulated mug is required for coffee(weight be damned). But YMMV.

I am curious to see wht the poll says!

Lone Wolf
12-01-2005, 15:07
insulated mug.

The Solemates
12-01-2005, 15:09
depends on the weather.

cold winter weather: 16oz. insulated mug w/ lid (~4-5oz)
warmer weather: cheap plastic 8oz. cup w/o lid (<2oz)

Bjorkin
12-01-2005, 15:10
Jetboil insulated mug with French Press. If I'm anxious to get going I pour the coffee in my Nalgene 16oz and pack the jetboil as normal.

Hikes in Rain
12-01-2005, 15:27
Voted metal pot, since it's the closest thing to my venerable old Sierra cup (doubles as a second little pot).

Mouse
12-01-2005, 15:43
Since I only had it when I could get it ready-made, usually in town, it was usually in the disposable cup it was sold in. Though I fondly remember keeping Miss Janet's coffee maker going one busy morning and nice hot coffee in a good earthenware mug.... Same with the Cabin Hostel. Those moments were good for the soul and made me all ready and raring to hit the Trail again. Good coffee made a new Mouse of me!:sun

K-Man
12-01-2005, 16:08
Yerba Mate gourd. http://www.yerbamate.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnnnqnp4&cid= (http://www.yerbamate.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnnnqnp4&cid) Lightewight and fun to drink out of.

rickb
12-01-2005, 16:12
K-Man, you definitely get huge style points for the gourd!

Is it really light weight?

Footslogger
12-01-2005, 16:27
I use a small thin plastic cup that fits inside my cookpot. Don't drink all that much coffee and if it's cold out and I make hot cocoa I drink it rather quickly such that an insulated mug would be a waste.

'Slogger

The Solemates
12-01-2005, 17:02
I use a small thin plastic cup that fits inside my cookpot. Don't drink all that much coffee and if it's cold out and I make hot cocoa I drink it rather quickly such that an insulated mug would be a waste.

'Slogger

i dont drink coffee either. my mug is used for mainly apple cider, and sometimes hot cocoa. i dont typically drink this for breakfast, as i am usually in a hurry to hit the trail. but at supper, i always like to have about 2 cups or so of cider to sip on while reading my book for the night by headlamp. hence, my use of an insulated mug in cold weather is merited.

Mother Nature
12-01-2005, 17:06
I use a 2 cup lexan mug. Smokestack and I usually prepare enough evening meal to share. He gets the pot and I fill the mug. I "clean" the mug with a hot cup of tea or coffee. I made a small cozy out of an old pair of 200 wt pants that I hold around the mug on bitter cold days.

I marked out different oz levels on the cup and use it as a measuring cup when needed.

It has been very handy for gathering water at times as well.

Mother Nature

K-Man
12-01-2005, 17:09

I will bring it into work tomorrow to weigh it on our scale, I would estimate it weighs like a 1/4 ounce. Possibly less. I use it to drink Yerba Mate tea in the traditional style with a bombilla. The link on that website explains what the Mate is.

fiddlehead
12-01-2005, 17:12
styrofoam cup!
it is lighter than air.
yes it's not good for the environment, i know, but when something is that light and i can use one to keep my coffe/tea warm, i'm carrying it.

Seeker
12-01-2005, 17:15
i use a small 8oz campmor cup (green, thin plastic, w/ a sharp, uncomfortable handle). weighs .7oz. probably the same one someone else mentioned... i'm debating cutting off the handle, not to save a tenth of an oz, but because if it's so cold i'm drinking cocoa, i'm wanting to warm my hands up too, so they're usually wrapped around the cup and not holding it by the handle anyway.daughter uses a blue lexan mug, 3.5 oz weight, maybe 12oz capacity, that i really like too.

Clark Fork
12-01-2005, 17:18
Jetboil insulated mug with French Press. If I'm anxious to get going I pour the coffee in my Nalgene 16oz and pack the jetboil as normal.

A Ha... :clap finally... a second use of my 16oz Nalgene Pee bottle....thanks..

Clark Fork..in Western Montana.. "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word.."

the goat
12-01-2005, 17:34
nalgene b/c any hot bev that's less than a quart ain't worth the time/trouble to make.

PKH
12-01-2005, 17:44
Koolaid container top.

PKH

Skidsteer
12-01-2005, 18:14
32 oz. Ziploc "tupperware-like" container. It has a screw-top, cup markings on the side, and is microwave/dishwasher safe. I put it in a coozy to help insulate it. It serves as my food cooker/bowl as well. When I get home tomorrow, I'll weigh it, but my educated guess is 2-3 oz. I bought it at a grocery store for $1.95.

peter_pan
12-01-2005, 18:26
Depends on the season and my mood when packing....60% of the time it is a smallfoldable plastic cup...20 %, normally the cold months, a little larger and thicker ( somewhat insulated) cup with a lid....20 % a 16 oz nalgene...

Coffe is a constant....the cup is a variable..... go figure... ;)

Pan

Jack Tarlin
12-01-2005, 18:28
I carry a Lexan wine glass. It weighs around 3 ounces, costs maybe five bucks, and best of all, screws apart into two pieces for easy packing.

see http://www.rei.com/product/237536.htm for a picture

It's great for coffee or tea, and also comes in very handy at springs or water sources where you need a "dipper."

It is also is a very nice thing to have at the end of a long day for restorative beverages other than coffee.

lilmountaingirl
12-01-2005, 19:55
I use the Orikaso folding cup. 1.25 ounces and since it stores flat, it doesn't take up any significant space. I used heavily this spring/summer/fall and it stayed in one piece. I figured it was flimsy and wouldn't last long but I was pleasantly surprised. For $4, well worth it IMO. I need a new one though...I lost it. :(

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47907750&parent_category_rn=5760727&vcat=REI_SEARCH

SGT Rock
12-01-2005, 20:17
Old powdered Gatorade container with a cozy on it.

weary
12-01-2005, 21:46
All of the above -- well except for the wine glass. On the trail I make Folger coffee bag coffee in whatever happens to be cleanest. A Sierra cup, my cooking pot or a 24-ounce plastic cup (Bowl.)

Alligator
12-01-2005, 22:16
Titanium Sierra cup 1.9 oz.

MoBeach42
12-01-2005, 23:04
i've got one of those SnowPeak 1L Ti pots that's rather tall, and has handles, so it looks like a big mug. I just throw my tea bag in there with my rinse water from breakfast and chug. so yeah, i guess i'm one of those metal pot freaks. though, sometimes it goes in the Nalgene i must admit. more likely at dinner. hmmm...

orangebug
12-01-2005, 23:13
Sierra cup works awfully well not to consider it. It also works to dip water from slow seeps. Shame that a metal pot was the only option like it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-02-2005, 08:15
Our Snowpeak titanium cookset has two metal pots with foldout handles (very similar to Seirra cups). We use those as coffee mugs. The rest of my cookset, condiments, utensils, 2 small plates and stove still reside in my 30+ year old 5 cup aluminum Coleman pot - my primary cooking vessel and what I use to make the coffee. A dino without coffee is a dangerous animal.

kyhipo
12-02-2005, 11:57
well been drinking it out of my pot but think i will bring a insalated cup and broaden my horizen:rolleyes: ky

K-Man
12-02-2005, 15:19

OK I just weighed the Gourd and it weighs 0.84 oz and holds 7 oz of liquid. I know this seems kinda pointless, but you have to understand the way mate is drank. You fill the gourd with a small amount of the mate leaves and then place the bombilla (read filtering straw) in the gourd. You then fill the gourd with water (hot or cold) let it sit for a minute, then drink through the bombilla. The bombilla filters out the tea leaves and once you drank all the liquid you can fill the gourd up again and again and again until the mate leaves lose their flavor. The gourd can be passed around among friends so its a lot of fun to share with you backpacking buddies before a long day's hike. I like the way mate makes me feel vs. drinking coffee. Coffee makes me feel ready for battle and all tense, mate wakes up your brain, but you are still super relaxed. Anyway, this should prob be posted in the coffee thread that is going on right now.

Peace,
K-Man

Ramble~On
12-07-2005, 04:42
Winter...REI insulated 12oz Mug
Rest of the year a small Nalgene......

Tim Rich
12-07-2005, 08:58
Insulated plastic mug. I eat oatmeal from it first, swish and drink and then make my coffee in it using a couple of the folgers coffee bags. My lunches are snacks and I use freeze dry in the evenings, so that one swish and drink's the only dishes I do on my sections.

Heater
12-07-2005, 09:29

For me, an insulated mug is required for coffee(weight be damned). But YMMV.

I am curious to see wht the poll says!

I cut off the top of a 20 oz pepsi bottle and shoved it into one of those free, 1/8 inch thick, beer koozies I got free at an outdoor event. It weighs practically nothing and keeps things warm or cold. You can still use the drink koozie for it's intended purpose.

:sun

Jaybird
01-01-2006, 10:21
For me, an insulated mug is required for coffee(weight be damned). But YMMV.I am curious to see wht the poll says!

i drink my DOUBLE STRONG CAMP COFFEE from my Ti .9Ltr mug/pot.:D

works for me!

Lilred
01-01-2006, 12:04
I carry a Lexan wine glass. It weighs around 3 ounces, costs maybe five bucks, and best of all, screws apart into two pieces for easy packing.

see http://www.rei.com/product/237536.htm for a picture

It's great for coffee or tea, and also comes in very handy at springs or water sources where you need a "dipper."

It is also is a very nice thing to have at the end of a long day for restorative beverages other than coffee.

Not to mention, adding a touch of class to the campsite.