PDA

View Full Version : Switching from LaSportiva Wildcats? Recommendations??

saltysack
09-26-2015, 09:17
As much as I love the fit of my last 4 pair of wildcats I'm tired of the short lifespan. The last pair had only about 100 AT miles and the side blew out 4 days into my JMT hike last week. Curious if others have had similar issues and what trail runners lasted better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
09-26-2015, 09:20
As much as I love the fit of my last 4 pair of wildcats I'm tired of the short lifespan. The last pair had only about 100 AT miles and the side blew out 4 days into my JMT hike last week. Curious if others have had similar issues and what trail runners lasted better.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot a hundred miles, but yup, kinda flimsy, but darn comfy too. I'd buy em again if the price was right...older model.

rocketsocks
09-26-2015, 09:21
Oops, prolly got 500 to 600 hundred miles outta these, mostly road walkin' though, not roots rocks, or hills.

saltysack
09-26-2015, 09:26
Not a hundred miles, but yup, kinda flimsy, but darn comfy too. I'd buy em again if the price was right...older model.

In the past I've got them at a good deal under $70 but now can't seem to find any under $110....I've been buying the std non goretex model..not 2.0 or 3.0. It's going to be a month or two before I get out again so maybe I'll wait...but was kind of disappointed in them on jmt but I guess all the rock would destroy any trail runners....dam sure not going back to a boot!

rocketsocks
09-26-2015, 09:28
In the past I've got them at a good deal under $70 but now can't seem to find any under $110....I've been buying the std non goretex model..not 2.0 or 3.0. It's going to be a month or two before I get out again so maybe I'll wait...but was kind of disappointed in them on jmt but I guess all the rock would destroy any trail runners....dam sure not going back to a boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkthink I paid $72...but that was like two shoes ago.

Turk6177
09-26-2015, 13:50
That is crazy. Have they changed any? I have heard of people getting over 600-800 miles in them. I wonder if the sand and rocks of the JMT led to their demise. I used New Balance AT810v2's on the JMT and they started to tear inside the back heel much to do with the sand. I just bought a pair of LaSportiva's for my upcoming AT section. I hope they hold up well. I guess the other shoes I hear talked about a lot on here are the Brooks Cascadias and Merrill's. Good luck with your search.

Sarcasm the elf
09-26-2015, 14:33
Hmm... While I agree that the Wildcats do have a disappointing lifespan, 100 miles seems really low. I have gotten a solid year out of mine, but they're quickly wearing out. In comparison I used to average two years out of New Balances and I got almost five years out of my favorite pair of Vasque Velocities.

I unfortunately don't have any recommendations at the moment, but I am also looking for a replacement to the wildcat. It you find anything that works, please keep us posted, I'll do the same.

saltysack
09-26-2015, 19:00
Thx will do. Hear is where both failed...I'm about 210lbs and pack usually under 25-30lbs. Guy at sportiva said they are really not strong enough for hiking just trail running...http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/26/9ce7aa95aafdff63b0cac7774c3cde28.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/26/4ad26a95fae1cd8c4a1ee51f93735f6c.jpg

John B
09-26-2015, 19:10
I used to wear Sportiva Eco or Thunder, depending on availability, because I have a narrow foot and that brand seemed to fit like a glove. Best boots I ever had. But our local dealer stopped carrying them and i don't like to buy shoes without being able to try them on first, so ordering on line was out. I looked at a lot of boots before picking North Face. Their boots have a similar fit to Sportiva, at least the narrow widths. So if you picked them because of that reason, you may want to check out North Face brand.

MuddyWaters
09-26-2015, 21:02
they are known to fail behind that hard toe cap. I thought I read they re-designed that. some have smeared the area with shoe goop to make a rand to reinforce it. But used to be one of the most popular shoes on the PCT. My son has some just like those, in 14s

saltysack
09-26-2015, 21:25
Mine are EU 47 which is 13....I'll try on a few others but if I see them on a good sale i guess I'll buy again as I do really like the fit and grip....just not durability vs cost...only one small blister on my lil toe on JMT so they must be good fit for me...

MamaBear
09-27-2015, 13:44
Have you tried La Sportiva's Ultra Raptors? Similar fit, trail runner and beefier than the Wildcats. I've worn both shoes, but have stuck with the Ultra Raptors. I think I've owned 6 or 7 pairs at this point. I wore 5 pairs on my thru-hike and still have one pair from that I'm working on killing. In the Whites, that will only be a few more weeks. ;)

saltysack
09-27-2015, 13:50
Have you tried La Sportiva's Ultra Raptors? Similar fit, trail runner and beefier than the Wildcats. I've worn both shoes, but have stuck with the Ultra Raptors. I think I've owned 6 or 7 pairs at this point. I wore 5 pairs on my thru-hike and still have one pair from that I'm working on killing. In the Whites, that will only be a few more weeks. ;)

No....maybe I'll give them a shot...thx

hikernutcasey
09-27-2015, 20:10
Really hate to read this thread as I have given several people glowing reviews of the Wildcats. My first pair has over 800 miles on them and the only reason I bought new ones was because I had wore the tread down so low. I still wear them on day hikes in dry conditions. My newest pair already had over 200 miles on them and they look brand new and that's with a trip through the whites on them.

I sure hope it's an anomaly and mine keep going and going like I'm used to because they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever hiked in.

soumodeler
09-27-2015, 20:26
I love my Ultra Raptors. My latest pair has over 250 miles on them with 200 of that being on the AT. Still have life left in them and the tread will wear out long before anything else on the shoe does.

saltysack
09-27-2015, 20:43
Really hate to read this thread as I have given several people glowing reviews of the Wildcats. My first pair has over 800 miles on them and the only reason I bought new ones was because I had wore the tread down so low. I still wear them on day hikes in dry conditions. My newest pair already had over 200 miles on them and they look brand new and that's with a trip through the whites on them.

I sure hope it's an anomaly and mine keep going and going like I'm used to because they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever hiked in.

Damn...I guess I'm rough on shoes!!! I might try the ultra raptors...or wit till I find wildcats cheaper def not paying $110!!!!

Dogwood
09-27-2015, 21:46
It's not that the LaSportiva Wildcats are good or bad in and of themselves. For much of the PCT the'd probably be fine. However, I would not choose them as my JMT thru-hiking shoe and I wouldn't advise it for others. Regardless, if you have the Mens or Womens Wildcats or Wildcat 2.0 GTX IMO they are both prone to being damaged in the fabric mesh areas just behind the toe bumper on both the outside of the right and left shoes in highly abrasive above treeline rocky conditions JUST AS DEMONSTRATED IN YOUR PICS/USE Saltysack. I believe your issue Saltysack, which again IMO isn't the Wildcats fault, but you picking out a shoe that perhaps would do better on maintained less abrasive overall trails(I used them on a LT thru), was addressed with the new design of the Wildcats 3.0. If you notice on the WC 3.0 La Sportiva changed the toe bumper, IMO wisely so as I got some rubbing on my toenails from the other bumper Wildcat designs pushing down on my toes which worsened on steep downhills. Although LS kept the Air Mesh they also added a hex facial toe plate protective layer to increase the wearabilty in the toe area.

I would pay especially careful attention to sizing appropriately to your feet characteristics with the Wildcats which should be done all the time anyhow. I base that opinion upon the Wildcats having little side support to both feet and shoe since they lack facial stabilizing overlays. This becomes more pronounced with wider feet(as I have, EEEE) and as feet grow with hiking placing additional strain on the mesh in the same areas just behind the toe bumper and sides of the forefoot in the toe box. No wonder my Wildcats blew out just like yours Saltysack. MY FAULT!

saltysack
09-27-2015, 22:19
It's not that the LaSportiva Wildcats are good or bad in and of themselves. For much of the PCT the'd probably be fine. However, I would not choose them as my JMT thru-hiking shoe and I wouldn't advise it for others. Regardless, if you have the Mens or Womens Wildcats or Wildcat 2.0 GTX IMO they are both prone to being damaged in the fabric mesh areas just behind the toe bumper on both the outside of the right and left shoes in highly abrasive above treeline rocky conditions JUST AS DEMONSTRATED IN YOUR PICS/USE Saltysack. I believe your issue Saltysack, which again IMO isn't the Wildcats fault, but you picking out a shoe that perhaps would do better on maintained less abrasive overall trails(I used them on a LT thru), was addressed with the new design of the Wildcats 3.0. If you notice on the WC 3.0 La Sportiva changed the toe bumper, IMO wisely so as I got some rubbing on my toenails from the other bumper Wildcat designs pushing down on my toes which worsened on steep downhills. Although LS kept the Air Mesh they also added a hex facial toe plate protective layer to increase the wearabilty in the toe area.

I would pay especially careful attention to sizing appropriately to your feet characteristics with the Wildcats which should be done all the time anyhow. I base that opinion upon the Wildcats having little side support to both feet and shoe since they lack facial stabilizing overlays. This becomes more pronounced with wider feet(as I have, EEEE) and as feet grow with hiking placing additional strain on the mesh in the same areas just behind the toe bumper and sides of the forefoot in the toe box. No wonder my Wildcats blew out just like yours Saltysack. MY FAULT!

Yep after looking at the 3.0 and ultra raptors I see what your talking about....think I will try those..

Dogwood
09-27-2015, 22:35
FWIW, since I liked the shweet heel cup, soft cush, stability, light wt,and breathabilty(of the non GTX version) I attempted to go with Wildcats that I thought would work by overlooking the fact that the Wildcats weren't offered in a size and width large enough required for my feet. It resulted in irreconcilable basic problems...a shoe that didn't appropriately fit my feet. The width of my feet caused additional abrasion and discomfort just behind the toe bumper. Because my feet were too splayed/wide for the widest Wildcat version the side of my feet hung over the outside of the shoe with short use.

Make sure you shoes fit YOUR TYPE FEET AND ADDRESS YOUR USAGE.

Venchka
09-28-2015, 09:31
The Section Hiker reviews the Ultra Raptors...

http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-la-sportiva-ultra-raptor-trail-runners/

Wayne

saltysack
09-28-2015, 11:47
The Section Hiker reviews the Ultra Raptors...

http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-la-sportiva-ultra-raptor-trail-runners/

Wayne

Thx Wayne to m going to try them out....I assume same size and fit of wildcats...no one has in stock local....

Venchka
09-28-2015, 12:40
The Section Hiker said that the Ultra Raptors run a bit small. That might be from trying to convert European sizing to US sizing. Make sure you check a sizing chart online. If your Wildcat's European size match your US size, the Raptors should be similar.
Buy from a source that allows exchange for improper sizing, like REI. They should be having a 20% off sale around Thanksgiving.

Wayne

saltysack
09-28-2015, 12:56
The Section Hiker said that the Ultra Raptors run a bit small. That might be from trying to convert European sizing to US sizing. Make sure you check a sizing chart online. If your Wildcat's European size match your US size, the Raptors should be similar.
Buy from a source that allows exchange for improper sizing, like REI. They should be having a 20% off sale around Thanksgiving.

Wayne

Yep my local rei doesn't have in stock...currently $20 gift card over $100 purchase.

Venchka
09-28-2015, 13:30
Yep my local rei doesn't have in stock...currently $20 gift card over $100 purchase.

I have good luck ordering for store delivery. That way I can check out my purchase before leaving the store. that service is very handy for purchases of $49.95 or less to avoid shipping charges. While I am still in Houston, the store is less than 5 miles away.

Wayne

saltysack
09-29-2015, 06:24
I have good luck ordering for store delivery. That way I can check out my purchase before leaving the store. that service is very handy for purchases of $49.95 or less to avoid shipping charges. While I am still in Houston, the store is less than 5 miles away.

Wayne

Thx Wayne I just ordered the ultra raptors to ship to local store....now you get $20 gift card with $100 purchase plus dividend so takes them under $100....not to bad if they hold up better! I need to return the exped U.L. Pillow that I can't get used too also...kill 2 birds one stone...

Venchka
09-29-2015, 08:08
Good deal. Keep us posted.
I only have 3 pair of my favorite discontinued Merrell shoes. I'll be looking for something new one of these days. No doubt I'll find another shoe to love just after it has been discontinued. :eek: :D :cool:

Wayne

saltysack
10-02-2015, 08:25
That is crazy. Have they changed any? I have heard of people getting over 600-800 miles in them. I wonder if the sand and rocks of the JMT led to their demise. I used New Balance AT810v2's on the JMT and they started to tear inside the back heel much to do with the sand. I just bought a pair of LaSportiva's for my upcoming AT section. I hope they hold up well. I guess the other shoes I hear talked about a lot on here are the Brooks Cascadias and Merrill's. Good luck with your search.

Turk
I used dirty girl gaiters which worked great for keeping stuff out of the shoe...loved them but I also wore a few holes in them....plan to sew up and keep using but never really had need for gaiters on AT..

saltysack
10-02-2015, 08:28

Ordered a pair.....should be at rei today...thx I'll give them a shot if they fit!!!

Dogwood
10-02-2015, 11:36
... I wonder if the sand and rocks of the JMT led to their demise. I used New Balance AT810v2's on the JMT and they started to tear inside the back heel much to do with the sand...

For myself, I too used to think heels wearing inside my trail runner in the back of heel area was sand or a shoe that was shabbily constructed. It was my unpainful heel spurs or smooth bony protrusion behind(not under) each heel that increased wear in the heel area. Same happens with my socks; the heel goes first.

The heel spurs developed(I was not born with such bony heels) as I was always on my feet throughout life. But the primary reason was wearing improper fitting shoes, especially improper fitting and not properly supporting my feet in the footbed orthotic area, and as a result of continuing to wear highly worn shoes.

I may flat tape the inside rear heel area of trail runners to prevent holes in the inside fabric liner.

saltysack
10-02-2015, 14:15
Just tried ultra raptors but seem to fit narrower...back to wildcats...I guess with $20 gift card and dividend around $80 not bad as long as not in lots of rock!!