PDA

View Full Version : Dragon's Tooth VA Info Needed

Gary Creed
09-27-2015, 09:36
Anyone familiar with camping near Dragon's Tooth? If so any water sources and how much space is available (i.e. how many tents)? Someone mentioned camping spaces and water available at Lost Spectacle Gap near DT, anyone have experience there? Need space for about 5 tents. All intel welcome. I already know about the shelters so do not need information about Pickle Branch, etc.

Slo-go'en
09-27-2015, 12:07
Water is not available at Lost Spectacle Gap. This is a dry section of trail and the only good water available is at the shelters sites. With 5 tents (which implies 5 or more people), you really should stay at designated sites.

VTATHiker
09-27-2015, 13:07
You will have to pack water up to DT. Your options, depending on which way you're hiking up from are: Pickle Branch Shelter (nice creek there, south of DT on the AT), and the creek between VA 725 and VA 624 (north of DT on the AT). You can probably get 5 small tents up in the clearing on DT, but like Slo-go'en said, you probably shouldn't...

Neemor
10-01-2015, 20:35
I distinctly remember there being no water. Because I had poor planning and ran out.
Most people went down to the 4 pines hostel at the road.
If you don't want to go there, right after the road there is a creek. I think the book says not to drink it because it comes from a cow field. But it tasted fine to me :P