PDA

View Full Version : PCT hiker list for 06?

A-Train
12-01-2005, 17:43
So, I know there is a big list of AT hikers for 06, but what about the PCT? Who out there is heading to Campo in april? I hope to be part of this years crop. Wondering if anyone was willing to compare notes on resupply and gear list over the winter. I know about PCTL, but its just too overwhelming, with all the emails that fill up my box. I´ve been on it before and eventually it just becomes too much.

Hope to hear from people in the planning stage!

Spirit Walker
12-01-2005, 17:53
Re: PCT-L - there is a way to look at the 'instant archives' so you can read the threads that interest you, when you have time to read them, and skip the rest. Go to:
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
Works for at-l and cdt-l too.

You can't reply from there, but if you subscribe at www.backcountry.net with the 'no mail' option, then you can post when you want, but won't have a mail box full of unread messages.

Hammock Hanger
12-01-2005, 17:56
So, I know there is a big list of AT hikers for 06, but what about the PCT? Who out there is heading to Campo in april? I hope to be part of this years crop. Wondering if anyone was willing to compare notes on resupply and gear list over the winter. I know about PCTL, but its just too overwhelming, with all the emails that fill up my box. I´ve been on it before and eventually it just becomes too much.

Hope to hear from people in the planning stage!

I won't see you out there in "06" but I will be interested in following you along via cyberspace.

My partner and I are shooting for 2007. I have Yogi's Handbook on the coffee table and I play Weathercarrot's DVD every chance I get. 1. To keep the dream alive and 2. So that it slowly seeps into my husband subconscious that the PCT is on my radar.

chris
12-01-2005, 18:04
Re: PCT-L - there is a way to look at the 'instant archives' so you can read the threads that interest you, when you have time to read them, and skip the rest. Go to:
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
Works for at-l and cdt-l too.

You can't reply from there, but if you subscribe at www.backcountry.net with the 'no mail' option, then you can post when you want, but won't have a mail box full of unread messages.

The PCT-L has a lot of info on it, but recently (since October when I got on again), there have been approximately 5 posts that have had any substance. So, if you do subscribe, know that the vast majority should be junked right away.

You can see my PCT resupply info on my pct page,

http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett/pct

If there is any interest, I can convert it to an article form, along with info on some of the other resupply spots.

Mags
12-01-2005, 18:26
The PCT-L has a lot of info on it, but recently (since October when I got on again), there have been approximately 5 posts that have had any substance. So, if you do subscribe, know that the vast majority should be junked right away.

Part of that is the ebb and flow of the thru-hiker season. I suspect in another month there will be large crop of questions. Right now is the end of the season..not as much "meat and potatoes" hiking talk. All e-mail list/BBSs/groups tend to much chaff among th wheat. Nature of the beast.

I strongly suggest using pipermail as well. It was what I have been using for LONG time. Even the digest mode is too much for me... You can pick and choose the threads you want this way.

The Solemates
12-01-2005, 18:37
how i wish, oh so bad how i wish, but it just aint happnin this year. i hope to get about a month or so in on some trail this summer. havent decided what trail i want to do now, but the JMT and TRT and Colorado are on the list. I think I have decided I want to do a trail "out west". suggestions?

chris
12-01-2005, 18:52
The ones you list are all good options. The JMT is about as highend for scenery as you can get in the US. If you have a month and want to be a bit daring, you could try the GDT. This is about as unlike the AT (or PCT) as you can get. Very pretty, interesting, and unique.

Otherwise, here are some other suggestions:

1) Long leg on the PCT. In mid July, get to Manning Park and hike the PCT SOBO to Cascade Locks (WA segment). Distance is about 550 miles or so. Beauty is immense. Southern end is a bit duller than north of Snoqualmie Pass.

2) Bozeman to Jackson. I hiked part of this last summer, but jumped off for personal reasons and didn't do the whole thing on foot, on trail. From Bozeman, pick up the Devils Backbone trail (drop dead gorgeous) and pick your way into NW Yellowstone. Hike E to Cooke City to resupply. Cooke City through the Absoroka Range down to the southern end of YNP. West to the northern end of the Teton Crest Trail, south on that to Jackson. About 2-3 weeks. Very remote.

3) The Sierra High Route. This is a most off trail, higher version of the JMT. I haven't done it, but am pondering it for next summer. About 230 miles, I think.

Mags
12-01-2005, 18:59
T
3) The Sierra High Route. This is a most off trail, higher version of the JMT. I haven't done it, but am pondering it for next summer. About 230 miles, I think.

Mark Hudson (aka Skeeter) and The Owl did the route this past summer. It is also on my "TO DO" list.

Mark's e-mail is mvhudson AT gmail.com (replace the AT with an @). I know he'd be happy to answer any questions about this route.

(at-l%40backcountry.net?Subject=%5Bat-l%5D%20Piece%20of%20silnylon%3F&In-Reply-To=)

RedneckRye
12-01-2005, 23:52
I'm headed west in April as well. I haven't really started the serious planning yet, just skimmed thru Yogi's book so far. Once January rolls around and the oh so fun holiday retail season is done, that is when the logistics will start for me.

Sly
12-02-2005, 00:03
Here's a few. There's also a Yahoo email list for 2006 hikers.

Subject: [pct-l] 2006 list-- let's do this!

Here's the updated list with spelling corrections added.... now we just need
to get Yogi and Donna Saufley on more secure terms and we are golden for
2006!

1. Paul Mitchell (Toes-03)

2. Pea Hicks (Girl Scout?)

3. Jenn Head (Jackalope) and Brian (Eagleye)

5. Ben Racine

6. Jeff Moorehead

7. Carl Rush

8. Sean Gordon

9. Nathalie and Aaron Doss

11. Matt and Kathleen

13. Donald Hames (Amblin' Man)

14. Karl Jorgensen (Jorgy)

15. Barry Morrison (Mongo)

16. Renee Patrick (She-ra)

17. Shane Quesnal

18. Chris Harris

19. Blaze (AT '94) and Woodchuck (AT '94)

21. Fred Miles and Mimi Huxley

23. Detour (AT '03)

24. Terry Norton (AT- GAME or Ultralite '98, Cheers or MEGA'01)

25. Adam Lord ('clyde', ATMEGA '98)

26. JD Schaefer

27. Yogi..60% chance of showers.. I mean Yogi over the last 5 years ;)

28. Josh Brown

29. Justin Valls

30. Andrew Bestwick

31. Laura Brattain

32. anonymous Dave... not the troll though

33. Rhiannon and Carter of Moscow Idaho

34. Donna Saufley (Yosemeite to KM, we better get to meet her somehow ;)

35. Ladybug

36. Vic Hanson

37. Little Tree (AT '04)

38. Dirtytough ??

39. Jeff Singewald

40. Junaid Dawud

41. Brian Green

42. Lis Green

43. ---? ---? --- (The Goat)

44. Rodney Axtman

45. Haiku (AT '04)

46. James Bates

47. Alina

48. Saurkraut

49. Ryan Christensen

Sly
12-02-2005, 13:03
I'm headed west in April as well. I haven't really started the serious planning yet, just skimmed thru Yogi's book so far. Once January rolls around and the oh so fun holiday retail season is done, that is when the logistics will start for me.

The logistics are simple. Get the databook (carry) and the guidebooks (carry sections), send a 3 day drop to Warner Springs (mile 110- to Idyllwild) and start the end of April with 3 days of food (to Mt Laguna). The rest of California you can buy along the way.

Although it's possible to buy as you go in OR and WA it's perhaps easier to resupply and mail your food for all of OR in Ashland and all of WA in Cascades Locks.

In order to be "thru-hiker supreme" carry your ice ax (http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm) the entire distance.

Mags
12-02-2005, 13:48
how i wish, oh so bad how i wish, but it just aint happnin this year. i hope to get about a month or so in on some trail this summer. havent decided what trail i want to do now, but the JMT and TRT and Colorado are on the list. I think I have decided I want to do a trail "out west". suggestions?

Just noticed the "month or so" tag. The Colorado Trail can comfortably be done in that time frame. 4 weeks if you a a stronger hiker, 5 weeks if you want to take it a little easier.

I am in the process of revising my Colorado Trail doc at:
http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/co_trail_info.pdf

Hope to have a revision to this doc out by January.

The major difference is that the CTF is about publish a new guidebook (April 2006). Currently the CTF is sold out of the 6th edition. Amazon and other book sellers appear to have it in stock, though.

Personally, I found the databook and a good set of maps was all I needed to hike the CT.

The CT is a nice compromise between the PUDS of the AT and the (sometimes) overly engineered switchbacks of the PCT. It is a great way to see Colorado. Not nearly as many people as the JMT. (Though the JMT is probably mile for mile the most beautiful trail in the US.

Whatever you decide to do...I am sure you will have a great time!

The Solemates
12-02-2005, 14:58
yea mags, ive read through your docs and journals. thanks for compiling those...it really helps to have stuff like that on the web. any time i contemplate hiking a trail, i always go first to the web to read "reviews", journals, etc.

i'll keep all informed of my plans.

tlbj6142
12-02-2005, 17:56
The logistics are simple.I make sure RR doesn't do too much planning when I make my bi-weekly visits to his place.:D
In order to be "thru-hiker supreme" carry your ice ax (http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm) the entire distance.Why the entire distance? Just to look cool? I guess at 5oz, that might not be a bad idea. As you can't have too much cool on the trail.

I just might have to get one for 3-season AT trips.:eek:

Skeemer
12-02-2005, 19:23
I keep saying next year, but it's about leaving home for six months. There's an outside chance. I'm trying to read Buckeye's (AT SOBO .02) journal this past summer. He's about your age and really does a thurough job of describing exactly what he goes through each day...recommended reading. If I was doing it, I think I'd start a week before or after everyone else.

Take Care & Hike On!

A-Train
12-03-2005, 13:39
I keep saying next year, but it's about leaving home for six months. There's an outside chance. I'm trying to read Buckeye's (AT SOBO .02) journal this past summer. He's about your age and really does a thurough job of describing exactly what he goes through each day...recommended reading. If I was doing it, I think I'd start a week before or after everyone else.

Take Care & Hike On!

C´mon Skeemer, aren´t you like retired or something? I´ve been reading his journal as well when I get a chance, as he´s hiked the AT, and is my age, as you mention. I´m probably gonna start atleast a week behind ¨the crowd¨, as it doesn´t seem necessary to spend close to 50plus days to get to KM

Sly
12-03-2005, 14:32
I´m probably gonna start atleast a week behind ¨the crowd¨, as it doesn´t seem necessary to spend close to 50plus days to get to KM

Ideally you want to start acording to snowpack in the Sierras. Leaving the end of April in a "normal" snow year will put you in KM the 1 week in June at 17 miles per day and considered ideal timing to reach the Canadian border by the end of September at a slightly higher pace. Adjust your start date and mileage accordingly.

Sly
12-03-2005, 14:36
Why the entire distance? Just to look cool? I guess at 5oz, that might not be a bad idea. As you can't have too much cool on the trail.

Yeah to look cool. Plus you may need it from time to time in the San Jacinto's, on Baden-Powell, in and north of the Sierras, the Cascades.

And nothing makes a better cathole digger!

tlbj6142
12-04-2005, 16:52
Yeah to look cool. Plus you may need it from time to time in the San Jacinto's, on Baden-Powell, in and north of the Sierras, the Cascades.I don't remember when he started carrying it (he didn't start until 10-May???), but our pal Chris carried his axe until he went 48 hours without using it. Sound like a plan?

hustler
12-05-2005, 01:08
I'm heading out May 07!

chris
12-05-2005, 10:47
I don't remember when he started carrying it (he didn't start until 10-May???), but our pal Chris carried his axe until he went 48 hours without using it. Sound like a plan?

That's right. From Kennedy Meadows to Chester. That was like 650 miles or something.

Knees
12-06-2005, 22:43
I'm probably going to head out in '06. I haven't committed 100%, but I have the OK from my wife and am putting off starting a grad degree.

I'm in the process of figuring out which gear from this past year stays and which gets replaced/augmented. I also need to get my ass in shape, as between recoverying from the AT and sitting at a desk job, but I've been eating a little too much like a thru-hiker.

I haven't looked at the mileage/supplies/water/snowpack side of things yet, so I don't have an exact start date, but I need to decide soon, so I can snag a cheap flight from MKE/ORD to CA.

docllamacoy
12-12-2005, 10:34
"T-Bird" and "Nemo", both AT'03, are planning to do the PCT in '06, too!