PDA

View Full Version : Road to Deep Gap, NC

jockellis
09-28-2015, 08:46
Can anyone tell me about the road to Deep Gap which appears to be the most southerly of the access points in the state? Can an old Honda Civic navigate it and how far the crossing is from Hwy 64?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyPaper
09-28-2015, 10:00
Can anyone tell me about the road to Deep Gap which appears to be the most southerly of the access points in the state? Can an old Honda Civic navigate it and how far the crossing is from Hwy 64?

I took my Saturn SC2 there and had no trouble. Your Civic should do fine.
Might be different in the snow and the road closes at some point in the winter.

FlyPaper
09-28-2015, 10:01
And the distance is 6 miles I think.

Tennessee Viking
09-28-2015, 10:04
I took a Chevy Caviliar on it.

cneill13
09-28-2015, 10:33
If you don't want to do a 6 mile off road drive, you can park your car at Standing Indian Campground and hike the Kimsey Creek Trail up to Deep Gap.

It is a 3.7 mile trail (one-way) and one of my favorites.

Carl

PcolaDawg
09-28-2015, 10:34
Was there this past June. One of the nicer dirt/gravel roads you'll drive on. The day I hiked past it, though, we received a report that a large tree had fallen across the road about a mile from Deep Gap, trapping the cars that were parked at the gap, and forcing some hikers to start their hike a bit early.

Road crews had been dispatched, though, and I'm guessing they cleared the road that day. So - barring the vagaries of nature - you should have no problem.

AO2134
09-28-2015, 10:37
The road is a long one. Your civic will be fine though is the conditions are good. (i.e., no snow, rain, mud, etc). If it is dry, there should be no problem with accessing the trailhead there. However, just be prepared that it will take you quite some time to drive down the long forest road.

Gambit McCrae
09-28-2015, 12:25
When it snows the road gets and stays icy long past the rest of the area, it is well shaded and hidden from the sun on lots of it. terrain wise it is acceptable for any vehicle that is realistic for gravel

jockellis
09-28-2015, 23:41
Thanks. My son and I went to scout it out but it started snowing when we hit NC and I didn't want to chance it. Hope to have a dry weekend soon so I can finish Georgia.

daddytwosticks
09-29-2015, 07:14
Be aware of any tropical activity or heavy prolonged rain that goes through this area. This tends to washout sections of the road. Contact the local forest service headquarters for updated information. As others have said, just about any small front-wheel drive vehicle can make it up and down this road when it's in good shape. :)