PDA

View Full Version : gear durability

aero-hiker
09-28-2015, 11:49
I am starting to think about attempting a thru, not sure when yet due to logistics/career/money concerns, but I love to travel fast and am starting to plan a UL thru-hike.

I am wondering, however, how many pairs of trail runners, and hiking shorts/shirts I can expect to go through. In the past I've always hiked with boots, but have recently started adopting trail runners and have really enjoyed the change. Since trail runners wear out more quickly, how many miles should I plan on getting out of each pair? Also if I hike in running shorts (when the weather is nice) and a target/champion brand synthetic shirt, how long do you think I should plan for those to last?

Obviously, accidents can happen where the shirt/shorts get caught on something and rip, but short of that, do you think one set could get through the whole AT? I'd like to get all my gear and resupply gear together in advance to try to avoid unnecessary shopping trips in trail towns.

Venchka
09-28-2015, 12:35
From my unscientific method of reading posts here at WhiteBlaze, 400 miles, give or take, to walk holes in the soles.
However, in my more scientific readings about running shoes in general, the foundations are probably shot after 200 miles.
Vasque walking/hiking shoes may hold up longer.
YMMV.

Wayne

Water Rat
09-28-2015, 15:06
Your mileage will definitely vary...when it comes to shoes. My Salomons have a lot more than 400 miles on them and they still have plenty of traction remaining. I hike around on the roots and rocks of the northeast, ford rivers, and am usually scampering in tougher terrain. While I don't baby my shoes, I am not one who wears them out very fast.

There are too many variables for anyone to accurately answer your question of how many pairs of shoes. Personally, I would not buy a bunch of shoes before the hike if you are just making the transition to trail runners. Your feet might change size, you might decide the shoes that seemed comfortable don't actually work for you... If you have someone handling your resupply boxes leave them with some money (and the location of where you would like shoes purchased) and then contact them when you are getting close to needing more shoes. You might find you are not wearing through your shoes as quickly as other people.

Your weight, how you walk/run, the weight on your back.... Those are all things that will go toward dictating how long your shoes last. Oh, and the actual shoe itself.

As for shorts and shirts. It is possible to make it through an entire hike with the same shorts and shirt. Might be wise to pick up a backup set just in case...

QiWiz
09-28-2015, 16:44
I have 4E feet so use New Balance trail runners that I can get in EEEE width. I get about 400-600 miles out of a pair, so you might get by with 4 pairs for the AT. You might need a second or third pair of running shorts and/or hiking shirt, that to me is less predictable. For socks I would budget as many pairs of Darn Tough socks as I do trail runners, assuming I alternate the pair I wear with the pair I wash out and have hanging from my pack to dry.

Dogwood
09-28-2015, 19:30
I am starting to think about attempting a thru, not sure when yet due to logistics/career/money concerns, but I love to travel fast and am starting to plan a UL thru-hike.

I am wondering, however, how many pairs of trail runners, and hiking shorts/shirts I can expect to go through. In the past I've always hiked with boots, but have recently started adopting trail runners and have really enjoyed the change. Since trail runners wear out more quickly, how many miles should I plan on getting out of each pair? Also if I hike in running shorts (when the weather is nice) and a target/champion brand synthetic shirt, how long do you think I should plan for those to last?

Obviously, accidents can happen where the shirt/shorts get caught on something and rip, but short of that, do you think one set could get through the whole AT? I'd like to get all my gear and resupply gear together in advance to try to avoid unnecessary shopping trips in trail towns.

The short answer, as a generalization, is about 3-6 pr of light wt trail runners. Lots of variables though as WaterRat pointed out. One person's experience with one pr of different trail runners may not be what you experience.

I get added life from my tail runners when used for LD hiking by keeping them clean of funk and microbial odors and switching out crappy stock swiss cheese footbeds with a after market orthotic/footbed that is anti-microbial and more supportive for my feet characteristics.

IMO, in general, the lighter the wt the pr of trail runners the faster to the garbage can they are.

Be careful buying a whole bunch of shoes ahead of time as things like your foot size can increase as you are increasingly on your feet.

You'd prolly get away with two pr of shorts but I'd have a third in the resupply pipeline. Those Starter, Champion, etc 100% polyester shirts work but unless in expect to hike in tatters I'd have at least two more tees in the resupply pipeline.

If this is your first really LD hike know you will evolve as a backpacker and hence also gear knowledge. As these evolve it will have an effect on what gear choices you desire.

donthaveoneyet
09-28-2015, 20:00
Jeez, I've easily got 400 miles on my Asolo TPS 520 GV's, and I don't even consider them fully broken in yet. I had no idea these trail runner shoes were so short-lived. Backpacking boots should last a lifetime, subject to repairs and re-soling. YMMV (ha ha).

MuddyWaters
09-28-2015, 20:38
Depends on what you walk on. Rough sharp rocks eat shoes up. Soft dirt, doesnt do much harm.

Pilgrim7
09-29-2015, 08:43
I realize everyone has there own preference for shoes, but you may want to check out Vasque Juxt. I recently go a pair and they are amazing fresh out of the box.

They fit and feel like a trail runner,but are tough and durable like a boot. I now where them 24/7, Work, Church, and Trail.

aero-hiker
09-29-2015, 15:35
I get added life from my tail runners when used for LD hiking by keeping them clean of funk and microbial odors and switching out crappy stock swiss cheese footbeds with a after market orthotic/footbed that is anti-microbial and more supportive for my feet characteristics.

Any recommendations for aftermarket orthodic/insole/footbeds?

Dogwood
09-29-2015, 16:24

https://secure.yoursole.com/us/mens/footbeds/signature-karnazes/

Pricey, up front, I know, but here are the trade offs that in the long run pay off IMO: microbial(helps control odor, bacterial, and fungal issues with not only the shoes but being transported to your feet, nails, etc), support my high arch high volume instep and 190 lb body wt, have a decent heel cup, which IMO is not common to find in many trail runners off the shelf w/ stock footbeds, absorb underfoot shock, create added underfoot protection when choosing very flexible thinner trail runners, always outlast any trail runner I've ever had with them being rewashable and reusable in new trail runners, in some ways extend the reasonably usable life of my trail runners, have insulative properties which are helpful in colder weather to keep my feet warm, don't readily absorb heavy wetness. IMO, the SOLE footbed orthotics last longer and are more supportive of my feet characteristics than Superfeet footbeds.

The second most recommended after market orthotic footbeds , with many of the same product characteristics as the SOLE ones mentioned are, the SofSole FIT series.

https://www.sofsole.com/category/INSOLES

peakbagger
09-29-2015, 17:07
Funny I rarely wore out my soles on trail runners, I usually wear holes in the sides of them where my little toe pushes against the shoe.

I love my montrail heat moldable inserts. I just went backpacking and hiking for five days in Baxter (very abrasive hiking) with a new pair of trail runners right out of the box by putting in the inserts. I think I have gone through three pairs of trail runners on my current insoles.

MamaBear
09-30-2015, 07:42
I went through 5 pair of trail runners on my thru-hike, La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. I got about 400 miles out of each pair. One thing to think about is not only that the traction/outsole wears out, but that the inner supports will wear out. In my case, the inside supports usually are done before the outer part. My last two pair of shoes only had about 350 miles or so on them. I saved them and are finishing them off now that I am back home. I got my last pair at Franconia Notch just because being from New England, I know how the rocks here can really tear up shoes and feet and it was nice to have a new pair for the last 350 miles or so.

Socks, not sure, that is a personal choice. Socks can also break down, lose their loft, plus just never quite get as clean as one would like. I did wear through a few pair of Wrightsocks, but I mainly replaced my socks because it was really nice to have new socks! I started with old ones, and replaced as needed/wanted.

I went through three shirts on the AT. I invested in and wore Icebreaker. The first lasted about 700 miles, the second from Daleville, VA until Manchester Center, VT, and that was wearing the same shirt day in, day out and washing it about once a week. The last one I still have and am still using. My hiking companions also wore Icebreaker shirts and one of them wore the same shirt from Springer to Dalton, MA, where he finally had to throw it away as it had ripped out too much at the shoulders. Icebreaker is wool and one thing about wool is that is doesn't stink as much or retain odors nearly as badly as the synthetics. Even after washing, some of those synthetics don't smell like they've been washed.

As far as shorts, I went cheap on those. I had a pair of cheap running shorts from Wal-mart that survived the Long Trail, plus day hiking in the Whites and section hiking from Gorham to the Bigelows. I started with those and they lasted until Harper's Ferry, where I finally got rid of them. They were nylon and just not getting as clean as I'd like in the wash and were getting thin on the backside, plus I had chafe issues and needed to start using a compression short/short combo. Might as well get new stuff! One of my hiking companions wore Arcteryx shorts. Very expensive, but they always looked brand new! I have no idea what they make those shorts out of, but those things always looked good. Do remember, too, that if you have any weight to lose, you might need new shorts along the way.

garlic08
09-30-2015, 08:54
Different people have different tolerances on shoe breakdown. They start loosing cushioning right away, and some people feel it after a couple hundred miles. If you don't need the cushioning, or can add cushioning insoles, many shoes can be made to last 700 to 800 miles or more before the fabric uppers completely tear out, or there's noticeable sole wear. I went through three pairs of NB trail runners on my AT hike. I had to get a fourth pair shipped to Monson (mile 2000+), but that pair lasted well after the hike. (Mud and rocks in New England tore up and wore out the pair I had hoped to finish in.)

Other than shoes, I replaced two pairs of socks on my AT hike, replaced a rain jacket I didn't like, and replaced a headlamp I lost. All that cost less than $100.

If this is your first long hike, you'll probably replace gear more because you want to rather than wearing things out. You'll see lots of people with different stuff you'd like to try out. I don't think many first-time hikers end with exactly the kit they started with. Some even completely refit to the tune of four figures in the first thirty miles.

I'll repeat the caution about buying shoes ahead of time. You probably don't know which shoes and size will work for serious and loaded hiking, week after week. It's easy enough to buy and/or get shoes shipped to you along the way. And I hate to say it, but there's no guarantee you'll last longer than your first pair of shoes, anyway.

CarlZ993
09-30-2015, 12:26
I used 4 pairs of Brooks Cascadias on my thru-hike. My last pair that I replaced was in Andover, ME & it was held together w/ bailing wire & duct tape. Waited too late to replace them.

1st = Daleville (723.5M w/ some practice miles before hand)
2nd = Vernon, NJ (1352.6M; 630.1M in the shoes)
3rd = Andover, ME (1939.1; 578.5M in the shoes)
4th = finished last portion of the hike & then some

aero-hiker
09-30-2015, 14:52
what are the notations about resupply in your signature spreadsheet, CalZ993?

theoilman
09-30-2015, 15:52

I use Vionic inserts www.vionicshoes.com (http://www.vionicshoes.com) (yes they sell just the inserts, available in both full length and 3/4 length)
They seem to be as good as the ones from my podiatrist.

Neemor
10-01-2015, 20:32
It also depends on how you time getting your new shoes. If you go 300 miles before hitting PA then do PA. You will need a new pair at the end of the state.

If you get a new pair as you enter PA. You will still need a new pair at the end of the state. Lol.

Patrickjd9
10-01-2015, 22:39
Your mileage will definitely vary...when it comes to shoes.
----------------
Your weight, how you walk/run, the weight on your back.... Those are all things that will go toward dictating how long your shoes last. Oh, and the actual shoe itself.

Between weight and wearing the outsides of the heels, I only get 400 miles or so out of a pair of Vasque or Keen leather boots.

Traveler
10-02-2015, 09:33
For what its worth, I track a lot of stuff when I hike, including wear and tear on various gear. This is what I have on footgear averages.

Trail surfaces for all footgear are similar to conditions one would expect to find in an AT hike. Replacement criteria is when the shoe wear to the point tread grip is compromised; holes worn through to the exterior of sides or toe area or tongue/lacing platform torn or require modifications to use.

New Balance 1340's (trail runner) - approximately 350 - 400 miles
Merrell Moab Waterproof (trail shoe) - approximately 500 - 600 miles
Asolo 520 (backpacking boot) - approximately 1,400 - 1,600 miles

Use differences in weight loading, stride, how one lifts/sets their feet will affect these averages along with what you would use as replacement criteria, but this should give you an idea of what you can get in terms of foot wear ranges.

aero-hiker
10-02-2015, 11:08
Thanks for the great insight everyone! I may need to start a new thread for this, but concerning in-soles/orthodics etc. do you generally remove the removable insole provided by the manufacturer when adding an aftermarket one, or do you place the second one on top of the manufacturer provided one?

Traveler
10-02-2015, 11:44
Thanks for the great insight everyone! I may need to start a new thread for this, but concerning in-soles/orthodics etc. do you generally remove the removable insole provided by the manufacturer when adding an aftermarket one, or do you place the second one on top of the manufacturer provided one?

I wear Rx orthotics and have to take the manufacturers insole out so shoes and boots fit properly, I would presume thats also the case for aftermarket insoles to avoid making the shoe too small or forcing the foot and toes higher in the boot where blisterland is.

Smoky Spoon
10-02-2015, 15:23
I usually wear hiking boots, medium weight and hiking shoes light weight. I am getting my first pair of trail runners soon so I love your questions on here. I do replace my insoles as Dogwood says he does. Personally using an insole that adheres more closely to my feet really helps out a lot. Typically you remove the one from the factory and insert your new insole. That I have experience on in lots of different terrains, I have not done a thru-hike, mine begins in 2016 but do have a lot of miles hiking long distances and short distances and all my hiking footwear I break in at least 50 miles before taking them out for when I need them. I also hike in lots of different types of weather. My plan for my through hike will be a combination of boots in some areas, trail runners in others and hiking shoes in others.

As for socks, I am a die hard darn tough user. I never had a blister since using them, no matter how long or short I hike. Regardless of weather and I will take no less than four pairs that I will change out as they wear down. But to be honest I have not worn out a pair yet. I am sure I will on the AT though. I know a lot of you will think four is a lot but I am a diabetic, so my feet are more susceptible to not healing than the rest of you, therefore I take no chances. I use one pair to sleep in when it is cold, and three to wash and change daily. My personal philosophy is to take care of your feet most of all as they are your primary mode of transportation in anything.

Good luck in your thru-hike, I am sure you will have a great time. Happy trails.

aero-hiker
10-20-2015, 09:56
Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a pair of SuperFeet Green insoles to wear when I train. They help a little bit, but I think I really just need to make an appointment with an ortho doc. My issue with super feet is that I'm a size 14 so the inserts are a little bit small and the arch support is too far back. I have a bunion on my left foot, and had Rx orthotics at one point, but broke them trail running a few years ago and neglected to get them replaced. (Bunions are when your big toe wants to point to the outside side of your foot, smooshing into the other toes, and the knuckle at the ball of your foot starts to protrude in the opposite direction, towards your other foot.) given my large feet, I think custom orthotics may be the best solution. I hope they can make some that are light weight, to hike in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
10-20-2015, 12:09

I normally remove the thin stock footbeds at the beginning of wearing tail runners for my LD hikes. Every once in a while I can leave them in though as they provide a tiny bit of cushion. I like a more cushy ride. *BUT realize you'll be altering the interior volume of you shoes possibly making a tight fit that leads to uncomfortablness and blisters/sore spots if you use bot footbeds. I figure that into the fit though by always choosing hiking shoes 1/2 to 1 size larger. If you're new to LD hiking and your feet are still growing this can work as at some pt removing the stock beds while keeping your after market othotics/footbeds provides the bit of exraqinterior olumeyour growing feet will appreciate especially as the summer weather arrives.

And, although most folks know to break in thick leather boots BEFORE a LD hike LIKEWISE give a trial run/short shake down hike to even trail runners PRIOR to a LD hike. I see MANY a AT thru-hiker having foot/shoe compatability issues shortly into their hikes.

GolfHiker
10-21-2015, 15:31
aero-hiker, please allow me to jump in here for a related thought. I have always hiked in low cuts ( currently the Merrill Moab Ventilator, very popular), but wish to consider TRs going forward. My issue is not stability, ankles, but rather the foot bed, rocky trail, all day pounding and soreness to follow. I already have some of that, and fear what the TR might be like. I know most thrus end up with TR, so the Big Question... did any of you current TR users experience similar issues, concerns, then magically find the TRs worked out.... I'm slim, easy going, not hard on my shoes, and once I determine the correct shoe brand/model ( I know there are tons to choose from), I hope to give them a try. Thoughts? Thanks.

Heliotrope
10-23-2015, 12:35
In the past few years I have used Nike and new balance trail runners. Both ducked azz when it came to walking on roots and rocks all day on the Maine AT. This year I made the switch to Brooks Cascadias and I can walk on sharp edges of rock and roots with no foot pain. Definitely the best trail runners for me.

Datto
11-01-2015, 22:09
My New Balance trail runners last about 450 miles. I also put in Spenco (Hiker model) inserts to make the trail runners more comfortable (you take out the New Balance factory inserts and insert the Spenco inserts). As you can see, the cost of trail runners plus Spenco inserts can add up pretty fast., Plus, getting the Spenco inserts delivered and the New Balace delivered to you while you're on the Trail may be problematic if you don't have a maildrop support person.

Note that your feet may grow considerably in size when you are on the AT and carrying a backpack. My feet went from 10.5 to 13.0 4W while I was on my AT thru-hike (I was told ahead of time this would happen so I was ready but my foot growth/flattening was rather extreme). That may keep you from buying your hiking shoes ahead of time since too-small boots/trail runners will give you serious blisters). You may get blisters anyhow but not to the extreme that too-small boots/trail runners would give you.

Datto

aero-hiker
11-02-2015, 11:20
In the past few years I have used Nike and new balance trail runners. Both ducked azz when it came to walking on roots and rocks all day on the Maine AT. This year I made the switch to Brooks Cascadias and I can walk on sharp edges of rock and roots with no foot pain. Definitely the best trail runners for me.

I was just checking out the Brooks Cascadias at REI this weekend. They look like a really nice shoe. Good rock plate, light, and I think they even carry them in size 14 :-)

aero-hiker
11-02-2015, 11:21
aero-hiker, please allow me to jump in here for a related thought. I have always hiked in low cuts ( currently the Merrill Moab Ventilator, very popular), but wish to consider TRs going forward. My issue is not stability, ankles, but rather the foot bed, rocky trail, all day pounding and soreness to follow. I already have some of that, and fear what the TR might be like. I know most thrus end up with TR, so the Big Question... did any of you current TR users experience similar issues, concerns, then magically find the TRs worked out.... I'm slim, easy going, not hard on my shoes, and once I determine the correct shoe brand/model ( I know there are tons to choose from), I hope to give them a try. Thoughts? Thanks.

From what I've been reading it seems that people like to use TRs with rock plates and aftermarket footbeds to alleviate the root/rock issues.

aero-hiker
11-02-2015, 11:24
My New Balance trail runners last about 450 miles. I also put in Spenco (Hiker model) inserts to make the trail runners more comfortable (you take out the New Balance factory inserts and insert the Spenco inserts). As you can see, the cost of trail runners plus Spenco inserts can add up pretty fast., Plus, getting the Spenco inserts delivered and the New Balace delivered to you while you're on the Trail may be problematic if you don't have a maildrop support person.

Note that your feet may grow considerably in size when you are on the AT and carrying a backpack. My feet went from 10.5 to 13.0 4W while I was on my AT thru-hike (I was told ahead of time this would happen so I was ready but my foot growth/flattening was rather extreme). That may keep you from buying your hiking shoes ahead of time since too-small boots/trail runners will give you serious blisters). You may get blisters anyhow but not to the extreme that too-small boots/trail runners would give you.

Datto

Oh, man that is a huge amount of swelling/enlargement! If you don't mind my asking, how much did you weigh on your thru, and how heavy was your pack? I have size 14s and if my feet grow 2.5 sizes while on the AT, I won't be able to find anything that fits! I was planning on going UL, or even SUL, so my pack would be between 10-25 lbs depending on when the last resupply was...