PDA

View Full Version : Best Mail Drops

Wildfang
09-28-2015, 12:55
What are the best places to do a mail drop? How many mail drops should I use?

rafe
09-28-2015, 13:03
As few as possible. Obviously it makes sense to use towns right on the trail or very close to.

Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus, Harpers Ferry, Boiling Springs, North Adams, etc.

Neemor
10-01-2015, 20:41
There is a list online of the best places to send yourself food and such. I am not sure where the link is though [emoji15]
I recommend
The N.O.C. - happers ferry - monson.
Everywhere else i had no problems.

Blissful
01-11-2016, 16:42
My blogs (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/search/label/Mail%20Drops) on maildrops. I did them successfully north and south.

Venchka
01-11-2016, 16:44
I'm curious. With the possible exception of a bounce box with batteries, meds, etc., why bother?

Wayne

WingedMonkey
01-11-2016, 17:00
I'm curious. With the possible exception of a bounce box with batteries, meds, etc., why bother?

Wayne

So you can get more traffic on your blog?

George
01-11-2016, 17:53

Wayne

off season Fontana is bad for resupply - and I like to go into the smokies with freeze dry food to make it all the way as the road may be closed -

shoes is my other common mail drop, so I do a resupply with them

glenclif would be another place for freeze dry as it is likely the food will be carried without using it if you can eat off the huts(as well as a good place for fresh shoes)

Scotto
01-12-2016, 23:17
In 2013 I used the following:

Hiawassee
Budget Inn

Nantahala OC
NOC Outfitters

Hartford
Standing Bear Farm

Hot Springs
Laughing Heart Hostel

Roan Mountain
Mountain Harbour Hostel

Damascus
Mt. Rogers Outfitters

Atkins
Relax Inn

Pearisburg
Post Office

Daleville/Troutville
Super 8

Duncannon
Doyle Hotel

DWG
Pocono Inn

Kent
Post Office

Dalton
Shamrock Village Inn

Killington
Mountain Meadows Lodge

Glencliff
Hikers Welcome Hostel

Gorham
White Mountains Lodge and Hostel

Stratton
Stratton Motel

Monson
Shaw's Lodging

In 2016 I'm planning the following:

Nantahala OC
NOC Outfitters

Hartford
Standing Bear Farm

Erwin
Uncle Johnny's

Damascus
Post Office

Atkins
Relax Inn

Pearisburg
Post Office

Daleville/Troutville
Super 8

Duncannon
Doyle Hotel

DWG
Pocono Inn

Kent
Backcountry Outfitters

Dalton
Shamrock Village Inn

Killington
Mountain Meadows Lodge

Glencliff
Hikers Welcome Hostel

Gorham
White Mountains Lodge and Hostel

Caratunk
The Sterling Inn

I want to hitch as little as possible. Most of these places are very close to the trail.

turtle fast
01-26-2016, 03:09
Wow that's a lot of postage! Some of these places have major grocery chains and many have smaller grocery venues or a Dollar General which is doable for resupply....unless you have specific dietary or medicinal needs.

colorado_rob
01-26-2016, 09:32

WayneEasy answer, and we can debate this until the cows come home: Save money, and save time. My 5-6 day resupply boxes were loaded with foods bought in bulk (Costco, mostly) at anywhere from 50% to 70% of grocery store prices (30-50% discount). This saved me about $30/5-days on average, perhaps more on my food, more than making up for the $12-$18 postage. Plus, I didn't have to find, walk to and spend time in unfamiliar grocery stores while on the trail. No brainer for me to mail resupply boxes. This assumes you have someone who will do this for you after the first few boxes (which you can do yourself).

colorado_rob
01-26-2016, 09:46
woops, I forgot to mention maybe the best reason to do mail drops: you can eat what you want, vs. what's available. For example, I carry and use freeze dried dinners. Availability of those on the trail is limited, and wher you can find them they are expensive. I pre-buy in bulk, at least 50% off regular meal prices. Plus, I'm a coffee snob, I like what I like, so that's all pre-bought. Plus, I pre-package everything efficiently at home before, saving trail weight and bulk.

Again, absolutely a no-brainer for me and my hiking food preferences, plus I'm Scottish and tight (AKA Frugal) with money.

HYOH!

wornoutboots
01-26-2016, 10:04
Fontana & Standing Bearing we're the only 2 places in the south that didn't have easy access to a Dollar or grocery store that I can remember, especially Fontana, their general store prices are a joke.

Puddlefish
01-26-2016, 11:12
I completed my drop box packaging yesterday. I marked my guidebook into six sections, then flipped back and forth a few pages until I found a convenient business close to the trail or a neat little hostel that I wanted to visit. Then I added in a couple of the recommended food desert places.

Here are my pre-planned stops/drops:
1. NOC Outfitters - Just food.
2. Fontana - Hike Inn - Just food.
3. Hot Springs - Elmer's - 2nd Guidebook section.
4. Troutville/Daleville - Ho Jo's - 3rd Guidebook section.
5. Harper's Ferry - Teahorse Hostel - 4th Guidebook section.
6. Ft. Montgomery - Bear Mt. Bridge Motel - 5th Guidebook section.
7. Hanover - I live in the area, will meet up with family and grab the last Guidebook section.
8. Monson - Lakeshore House

Under $90 for 1 small, 4 medium, and 1 large priority mail box. 30 days of self dehydrated/varied/tested/vac sealed food. Various energy/nutrient bars bought cheaply in bulk. Dehydrated fruit and vegetables to supplement an additional 30 days of meals. Small portions of olive oil, sunscreen, sportslick, neosporin, ibuprofen, vitamin C, dehydrated toothpaste, sunscreen, the occasional button battery, soap, non alcohol sanitizer, etc.

The savings on the Clif/Kind bars alone amount for most of the postage cost. The overall healthier/lightweight food and savings on all the little portions shipped will more than make up for the remaining cost.

I'm only stopping at places that are close or shuttle convenient to the trail, that I'd very likely stop at anyway. Only 8 commitments over 2,100 miles, that doesn't seem overly limiting to me. I'll probably toss a few extra items into hiker boxes, and will have to buy some duplicate items because I got the timing wrong. I'm just going to keep the mindset that these drops are bonus gifts, that I don't have to rely on.

Venchka
01-27-2016, 09:13
Easy answer, and we can debate this until the cows come home: Save money, and save time. My 5-6 day resupply boxes were loaded with foods bought in bulk (Costco, mostly) at anywhere from 50% to 70% of grocery store prices (30-50% discount). This saved me about $30/5-days on average, perhaps more on my food, more than making up for the $12-$18 postage. Plus, I didn't have to find, walk to and spend time in unfamiliar grocery stores while on the trail. No brainer for me to mail resupply boxes. This assumes you have someone who will do this for you after the first few boxes (which you can do yourself).

woops, I forgot to mention maybe the best reason to do mail drops: you can eat what you want, vs. what's available. For example, I carry and use freeze dried dinners. Availability of those on the trail is limited, and wher you can find them they are expensive. I pre-buy in bulk, at least 50% off regular meal prices. Plus, I'm a coffee snob, I like what I like, so that's all pre-bought. Plus, I pre-package everything efficiently at home before, saving trail weight and bulk.

Again, absolutely a no-brainer for me and my hiking food preferences, plus I'm Scottish and tight (AKA Frugal) with money.

HYOH!

You have mentioned this in several threads. So, I went to Costco.com and searched the Mountain House products. All I find is a rather limited (perhaps a half dozen flavors) of #10 cans. When you say that you repackage everything, you must be opeing the #10 cans and putting a serving size portion in Ziploc or some other type of bag. Is this approximately what you are doing? I have a Food Saver machine to make vacuum sealed bags for food. I'm thinking that might be the way to for space saving and durability.
On the other hand, living in Denver, perhaps your local Costco stocks cases of single or double servings of various meals.
Please elaborate. Thank you.

Wayne

Venchka
01-27-2016, 09:16
Here is the current listing at Costco.com. I would have to buy individual dinners in each of the flavors to know which ones I could tolerate and which to avoid.

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?langId=-1&storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&keyword=Mountain+House&sortBy=PriceMin%7C0

Wayne

colorado_rob
01-27-2016, 10:36
You have mentioned this in several threads. So, I went to Costco.com and searched the Mountain House products. All I find is a rather limited (perhaps a half dozen flavors) of #10 cans. When you say that you repackage everything, you must be opeing the #10 cans and putting a serving size portion in Ziploc or some other type of bag. Is this approximately what you are doing? I have a Food Saver machine to make vacuum sealed bags for food. I'm thinking that might be the way to for space saving and durability.
On the other hand, living in Denver, perhaps your local Costco stocks cases of single or double servings of various meals.
Please elaborate. Thank you.

WayneSure Wayne, more details: The Costco in Lakewood (suburb of Denver, near our house) sells, a few times a year, not always, 10-packs of MH freeze dried double-meals for $40. We go to Costco for other stuff about once a month, and always look for these. I snag a couple boxes of those when they are in stock. the box holds 2-3 beef stroganoff, 2-3 beef stews, 2-3 lasagna, 2-3 chicken w/ rice (10 total, I forget which have 2 and which have 3). I divie these up into quart sized freezer bags for use on the trail; this cuts down on bulk and weight (those foil packs weigh 0.75 ounces, a freezer bag, 0.25 oz, so 1/2 ounce savings per meal, no huge deal, but it adds up). I've repackaged this stuff months and months ahead of actual use without any ill effects, but we live in a very dry climate, YMMV out east. I even take the desiccant pack out (a couple grams weight, but more importantly, if I don't take it out, I've been know to forget about it and eat the darn thing!).

I haven't bought any MH #10 cans yet, but those look to be a very similar deal, I think, I need to check the math, but what they call 2 bucks a meal is really more like 2 bucks per half a meal.

Recently, we've bought some freeze dried stuff online in bulk, specifically Mary Jane Farms bulk packs. I love their Mac & Cheese and Chili. I forget the prices, but I think right in there at 4 bucks for a solid meal.

The larger REI stores also carry some #10 cans, haven't check those prices, not sure the brand, but I've seen them at the downtown and Lakewood REI's.

To do all this, as you say, you have to figure out which meals you like. I personally like the beef stroganoff, beef stew, mac & cheese, and a new personal favorite, that "breakfast skillet" (but for dinner). Chicken & rice is OK, but I've grown tired of that Lasagna (but can eat it). As I said in some other thread, I'm nearly over the entire Mountain House brand, I've just eaten too much of it in recent years, looking at other brands/option right now for this year's long hikes. I'll still snag a couple boxes of MH next time I see them at Costco.

Overall though the biggest bulk Costco savings comes from their bulk trail snacks.... Just about 50% off on average, sometimes more on everything from breakfast bars & granola to lara bars to cliff products to bulk GORP to nut mixes, you name it. they also carry Charbucks Via's for about 60 cents/per, vs a buck per at other locations.

By the way, I think Sam's Club has pretty similar deals on this kind of thing, but we're not members there.

fiddlehead
01-27-2016, 10:54
2 or 3 thoughts here:
send one to Neels Gap (Mt Crossings) at mile 30 of the trail.
That way you can start out light.

Many people want more quality food on their hike than can be found in small (especially southern towns)
So, they dry their own recipes, hamburger and veggies, use powdered coconut milk, Indian curries, pack dried mango, papaya, etc.
Others rely on Mom and Pop stores and are happy to eat ramen and mac & cheese and ritz crackers all the way up the trail.
I try not to judge their reasons for wanting to send themselves what they like.

But a word of warning to those hiking a long distance trail for the first time: It's easy to get tired of the food you thought you'd eat all the way.
So, be a bit flexible, experiment with some things as you go, and try some grits while you're down south.

Puddlefish
01-27-2016, 11:02
2 or 3 thoughts here:
send one to Neels Gap (Mt Crossings) at mile 30 of the trail.
That way you can start out light.

Many people want more quality food on their hike than can be found in small (especially southern towns)
So, they dry their own recipes, hamburger and veggies, use powdered coconut milk, Indian curries, pack dried mango, papaya, etc.
Others rely on Mom and Pop stores and are happy to eat ramen and mac & cheese and ritz crackers all the way up the trail.
I try not to judge their reasons for wanting to send themselves what they like.

But a word of warning to those hiking a long distance trail for the first time: It's easy to get tired of the food you thought you'd eat all the way.
So, be a bit flexible, experiment with some things as you go, and try some grits while you're down south.

You had me, up until you mentioned grits. Grits are one of those things like cheering for your local baseball team. Either your parents indoctrinated you early, and you grew up a fan with warm and fuzzy memories, or there's just no way you can bring yourself to enjoy that stuff.

NewHeart
01-27-2016, 18:49
My blogs (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/search/label/Mail%20Drops) on maildrops. I did them successfully north and south.
I want to thank you for all the good info you have on your blog. The mail drop and food planning is where I am at in my prep stages. Thanks again!

NewHeart
01-27-2016, 18:51
Bliss, I do have one question, the boxes, what sizes can they be and do they need to be purchased at the PO?

Venchka
01-27-2016, 22:07
Bliss, I do have one question, the boxes, what sizes can they be and do they need to be purchased at the PO?

1. The flat rate boxes at all post offices are free. Almost. If you provide the box (recycle boxes you can get for free) you save maybe $0.50. All you need to know is at the USPS website.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
01-27-2016, 22:12
Sure Wayne, more details: The Costco in Lakewood (suburb of Denver, near our house) sells, a few times a year, not always, 10-packs of MH freeze dried double-meals for $40. We go to Costco for other stuff about once a month, and always look for these. I snag a couple boxes of those when they are in stock. the box holds 2-3 beef stroganoff, 2-3 beef stews, 2-3 lasagna, 2-3 chicken w/ rice (10 total, I forget which have 2 and which have 3). I divie these up into quart sized freezer bags for use on the trail; this cuts down on bulk and weight (those foil packs weigh 0.75 ounces, a freezer bag, 0.25 oz, so 1/2 ounce savings per meal, no huge deal, but it adds up). I've repackaged this stuff months and months ahead of actual use without any ill effects, but we live in a very dry climate, YMMV out east. I even take the desiccant pack out (a couple grams weight, but more importantly, if I don't take it out, I've been know to forget about it and eat the darn thing!).

I haven't bought any MH #10 cans yet, but those look to be a very similar deal, I think, I need to check the math, but what they call 2 bucks a meal is really more like 2 bucks per half a meal.

Recently, we've bought some freeze dried stuff online in bulk, specifically Mary Jane Farms bulk packs. I love their Mac & Cheese and Chili. I forget the prices, but I think right in there at 4 bucks for a solid meal.

The larger REI stores also carry some #10 cans, haven't check those prices, not sure the brand, but I've seen them at the downtown and Lakewood REI's.

To do all this, as you say, you have to figure out which meals you like. I personally like the beef stroganoff, beef stew, mac & cheese, and a new personal favorite, that "breakfast skillet" (but for dinner). Chicken & rice is OK, but I've grown tired of that Lasagna (but can eat it). As I said in some other thread, I'm nearly over the entire Mountain House brand, I've just eaten too much of it in recent years, looking at other brands/option right now for this year's long hikes. I'll still snag a couple boxes of MH next time I see them at Costco.

Overall though the biggest bulk Costco savings comes from their bulk trail snacks.... Just about 50% off on average, sometimes more on everything from breakfast bars & granola to lara bars to cliff products to bulk GORP to nut mixes, you name it. they also carry Charbucks Via's for about 60 cents/per, vs a buck per at other locations.

By the way, I think Sam's Club has pretty similar deals on this kind of thing, but we're not members there.

Thanks Rob. I thought that Denver would cater to local demand. East Texas isn't a freeze dried dinner place. Jerky? Everywhere. Sam's Club is ok for trail snacks. I've been stocking up and putting them in the freezer.
Thanks for your help.

Wayne

fiddlehead
01-27-2016, 22:53
You had me, up until you mentioned grits. Grits are one of those things like cheering for your local baseball team. Either your parents indoctrinated you early, and you grew up a fan with warm and fuzzy memories, or there's just no way you can bring yourself to enjoy that stuff.

Well, I'm not from the south, so, they were new to me.
I think you have to try them a few different ways.
Try them with salt, pepper and butter (like many southerners do)
Or try them with honey or something sweet.

Anyway, they are made from a corn and actually a pretty good power food for hiking.
Consider them fuel and they will get you up that hill (along with a cup of coffee or 2)
LOL!

timsuxx
02-05-2016, 13:31
I'm doing mail drops as well. Are there any towns along the way that are "must-see" ie hold historical value or have an attraction you just don't want to miss (like white water rafting)? Let me know, I'd like to get the most out of the trail and the towns it has to offer!

TexasBob
02-05-2016, 19:27

Try the instant cheese grits BUT only use about half the water called for and you will probably like them. I agree with you about regular grits.

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/grits/instant-grits-cheese.aspx

Venchka
02-05-2016, 22:09
I'm doing mail drops as well. Are there any towns along the way that are "must-see" ie hold historical value or have an attraction you just don't want to miss (like white water rafting)? Let me know, I'd like to get the most out of the trail and the towns it has to offer!

Hot Springs, NC has some river running companies. Contact them for schedules and services. The post office is on the trail. Hot Springs is a full service trail town.
You should know that if you are planning a thru hike.

Way

Venchka
02-05-2016, 22:14
Try the instant cheese grits BUT only use about half the water called for and you will probably like them. I agree with you about regular grits.

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/grits/instant-grits-cheese.aspx

As a devout admirer of Mrs. Wayne's baked cheese grits, I won't go there. I'll probably carry a few servings of grits for variety. Plain is ok for me with other stuff added to disguise the grits.

Wayne

Puddlefish
02-05-2016, 23:16
I can choke grits down when someone serves them to me without making faces, they're not entirely offensive, but I just don't like them. There must be something innate in grits lovers that they so often feel the need to convert non-grits lovers to their cause.

"Oh, you'll like my grits"
"You probably haven't tried them with (insert local flavoring)"
"This isn't grits, it's polenta! Entirely different!"

At which point I silently sigh, eat what I've been served, and politely say "Thank You."

squeezebox
02-05-2016, 23:33
When my son was from early to late toddler stage, we fed him "baby grits" Grits with cheddar cheese, an egg, garlic, a bit of salt & pepper, and some spinach. At 21 he makes them for himself now.
You'll love my grits!!!!!
Would it be thread jacking to talk about chiterlings?

Puddlefish
02-05-2016, 23:37
When my son was from early to late toddler stage, we fed him "baby grits" Grits with cheddar cheese, an egg, garlic, a bit of salt & pepper, and some spinach. At 21 he makes them for himself now.
You'll love my grits!!!!!
Would it be thread jacking to talk about chiterlings?

I think I'll make that tomorrow morning... I'll just omit the grits part.

squeezebox
02-05-2016, 23:59
About a yr ago I set up a list of 14 drops specifically for paper maps from the ATC. Each drop was at the end of one state/section of maps and at the begining of another. With just enough overlap for clarity. Stop by the PO get the next set of maps send the old ones home. I could look up that list, send it to you private. or if enough want the list, I'll post it , but it will be a large post.

TexasBob
02-06-2016, 09:42
About a yr ago I set up a list of 14 drops specifically for paper maps from the ATC. Each drop was at the end of one state/section of maps and at the begining of another. With just enough overlap for clarity. Stop by the PO get the next set of maps send the old ones home. I could look up that list, send it to you private. or if enough want the list, I'll post it , but it will be a large post.

I would like it. Maps are the main reason I will be getting maildrops.

rafe
02-06-2016, 11:00
I would like it. Maps are the main reason I will be getting maildrops.

I came to that same conclusion over the years. I have maps on the cell phone too but strictly for backup and convenience.

Back in the day there was a certain kind of 35 mm. film that I preferred to use, so there was that. But most of the foodstuffs -- nah, not really necessary. Hiker boxes from GA to ME are full of left over detritus from mail drops. I've left my share.

OldTrailDog
02-15-2016, 21:01
I would like to either see the list posted or PMed for your recommended map drops. I will be using the A.T. south bound loose leaf maps for a southern circuit flip/flop thru-hike and this would be quite useful. Thanks a lot for volunteering this info.

I have hoarded up a number of boxes of MH gourmet freeze dried meals when on sale at Sierra Trading Post at a fraction on the retail price. From past back pack trips, I have found that I like to split a entrée for supper and finish it off for breakfast. I supplement this with snack, juiced up home mixed granola, bars, and candy (really like a packet of "fruit" drops from the dollar store or WalMart for the sweet tooth). I purchase the snacks at the Dollar Store, Walmart, and Costco. This allows me to maximize on variety and stretch the freeze dried food. Plus, I usually add variety with Lipton, Knorr, or Bear Valley soup mixes, packets of spiced tuna fish, plastic jar of peanut butter (or other nut butter...just say no to chocolate nutella). I am confident that using mail drops via flat rate USPS boxes will be a benefit to my hike. This will not be the sole source of chow, because I know from past bike touring trips that I will hog down town bought food to feed the beast.

ajcajonel
02-24-2016, 01:51
Easy answer, and we can debate this until the cows come home: Save money, and save time. My 5-6 day resupply boxes were loaded with foods bought in bulk (Costco, mostly) at anywhere from 50% to 70% of grocery store prices (30-50% discount). This saved me about $30/5-days on average, perhaps more on my food, more than making up for the $12-$18 postage. Plus, I didn't have to find, walk to and spend time in unfamiliar grocery stores while on the trail. No brainer for me to mail resupply boxes. This assumes you have someone who will do this for you after the first few boxes (which you can do yourself).

Hi Rob -

I like your logic (it's mine too) and am planning a flip flop hike beginning in May with a parcel resupply plan. Could you perhaps send me the list of shipping addresses you used?

Thanks -
James

RoseLight
02-28-2016, 02:16
Hi Rob -

I like your logic (it's mine too) and am planning a flip flop hike beginning in May with a parcel resupply plan. Could you perhaps send me the list of shipping addresses you used?

Thanks -
James

If you could send that list to me as well that would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Claire

colorado_rob
02-28-2016, 09:37
Hi Rob -

Thanks -
JamesI will joggle my memory and try to reconstruct my resupply points in the next day or three. No problem. check back, James and Claire.

Early on I made a rookie mistake, using the post office in Hiawasee vs. the motel, learned my lesson, never screwed that one up again....

mtntopper
02-28-2016, 10:24

I would like to get that list as well. Thanks

colorado_rob
02-28-2016, 11:49
Hi Rob -

Thanks -
JamesNot sure what sort of flip-flop your using, but I was a straight NOBO, if you are going south from Harpers, this would be reversible. Anyway, here's my Springer to Harpers resupply list, mostly accurate, with a fuzzy spot or two. Mileages are approximate, based on a little spreadsheet I carried on my phone, these differ from AWOL by a mile or two here and there.

Mile 31 - Bought a few snacks at Neel's gap to supplment food (I think I started from springer with 3.5 days of food)
Mile 63 - Hiawasee, used post office, rookie mistake as I got there early Sunday morning, had to sit entire day doing nothing
Mile 134 - Nantahala OC; stayed the night, pigged out dinner and breakfast, bought a few trail snacks and maybe two (or six?) beers....
Mile 164 - Fontana; mail drop to lodge, stayed one night. 6 days of food to make it through smokies to Hot Springs w/ supplement at Standing Bear. My wife joined me here to Hot Springs, but I still mailed food box to lessen her flight luggage.
Mile 238 - Standing Bear; bought a few snack items, enough to make it to Hot Springs (this would be a great mail drop place, I just didn't need it)
Mile 272 - Hot Springs; full resupply, mailed to Hostel (I forget the name, very commonly used place). I took my first of three zeros in HS, nice town
Mile 339 - Erwin; full resupply, 3 days I think, mailed to Hostel (Uncle Jims's?), but I stayed in Motel, paid $5 to hostel for holding my box
Mile 386 - roan Mountain; full resupply mailed to Hostel near trail (cannot remember name)
Mile 461 - Damascus; full resupply to main Hostel, stayed one night there, then another night in B&B, my second zero
Mile ??? - I simply cannot remember, was is Marion VA, the city with the shuttle from the Partnership Shelter area? I used a PO in this town, as I got there mid-week and I was sure I would get there mid-week.
Mile 623 - Pearisburg; full resupply mailed to motel, the little flea-bag joint across from the Mexican restaurant
Mile 700 - Catawba; my wife met me here, I left the trail for a while and we explored the area, got back on trail with full resupply
Mile 717 - Daleville, bought a few snacks and soft drink at Gas station right along trail. An excellent hiker motto is: "Never pass up a place to buy some snacks"
Mile 773 - Glascow, full resupply, but I cannot remember if Hostel/Motel or Post office
Mile 850 - Waynesboro, full resupply box, once again I was sure I'd arrive on a weekday, used post office, spent night in motel. Here, one only needs 4-5 days to easily make it 7-8 days, given the readily available food in SNP
Mile 957 - Front Royal - Left trail for my first section (original plan was to make it to Harpers Ferry, oh well!). Rejoined trail next spring, used Sharon for shuttle to and then from Dulles airport, stayed one night at her Hostel when I returned. Nice lady, cooks a mean breakfast.
Mile 1010 - ATC, resupply box to ATC, stayed night in a Hostel

So that's my 1st half list, FWIW. All actual addresses are in AWOL, or for post offices, in an excellent online PO guide here:

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/postoffices.php

I'll post my northern AT list here soon.

Ron Haven
03-09-2016, 02:08
I am in Hiawassee every day or two. If you will be staying at Budget Inn or The hikers den Hostel and want a drop box taken to Franklin Free. We willbring the boxes from Hiawassee Budget Inn to Franklin free. Non guest are $5

kenl
03-13-2016, 18:14
Following is a picture of a possible resupply plan. The basis of this was a post I found on wanderingthewild.com. I liked the philosophy of keeping as close to the trail as possible. You'll see out of about 35 stops, 20 are mail drops and the balance are local resupply. Most points are under one mile from the trail. The yellow highlight is no longer viable (but my son lives in Maryland). Others have been verified as viable through awol guide.

If interested I have this in a spreadsheet with mailing addresses. You can calculate your own days between towns based on your pace, etc. I'm happy to send anyone the spreadsheet.

OldTrailDog
03-15-2016, 19:15
Really appreciate the information Rob and Ken have provided. Comparing lists will help tailor our needs for our trip.

ajcajonel
03-22-2016, 02:57
Rob - thanks! I'll be going northbound from Harper's Ferry first. Great resources - I really appreciate it.

One Braid
03-22-2016, 08:42
The reopened Caratunk House in Maine will take pkg and has a good resupply store. 150 yards from trail. Send to POBox 98 or 218 Main st Caratunk Maine 04925

Smoky Spoon
03-23-2016, 01:02
This looks like it took a lot of time and work to do, thank you for sharing.

Following is a picture of a possible resupply plan. The basis of this was a post I found on wanderingthewild.com. I liked the philosophy of keeping as close to the trail as possible. You'll see out of about 35 stops, 20 are mail drops and the balance are local resupply. Most points are under one mile from the trail. The yellow highlight is no longer viable (but my son lives in Maryland). Others have been verified as viable through awol guide.

If interested I have this in a spreadsheet with mailing addresses. You can calculate your own days between towns based on your pace, etc. I'm happy to send anyone the spreadsheet.

attroll
03-23-2016, 20:52
This looks like it took a lot of time and work to do, thank you for sharing.
That listing was a good listing when it was up to date. There are a couple places in that listing that are now closed. If your going to use that listing make sure the places are open before you depend on it.

I created this listing that is up to date http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1344-Resuppling-within-one-miles-from-the-Appalachian-Trail-for-a-thru-hike

Sly
03-23-2016, 21:30
If you're using mail drops don't forget to use the AT Mailing Labels page. I'm pretty sure everything is up-to-date. If you'd like a location added let me know.

http://www.soruck.net/at

Diamondlil
03-23-2016, 22:00

Kenl

I'd like a copy of this spread sheet please. So far I see drops I've tentatively planned already, I feel as though I'm on the right track. Thank you.

[emoji851]

bco94
03-25-2016, 11:48
Backcountry Outfitters in Kent, CT. Open 7 days/week, sells stamps & has free Priority Mail boxes. Village Post Office too.

One Half
01-01-2017, 13:40
people often talk about the cost to mail packages but if you choose ground instead of priority mail (yes, it takes longer) the cost is really short, especially if those packages are primarily your own dehydrated/freezedried foods. And if you ship via "ground" you can even ship yourself canister fuel. No idea what fuel costs on trail but I know locally I can get the smaller canisters for $4 and the larger ones for $5.50. When I was in BB recently the large canisters were $7. And as someone else stated, if you don't want to mess around with having to shuttle/walk through towns to resupply, it's much easier if you can just pick up all you need in one place.