PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Podcasts - Question for Listeners

2000miler
09-28-2015, 16:00
Hey all -

For my AT thru-hike next year, I'm strongly considering starting a on-the-trail podcast similar to what Ratatouille is doing with Trailside Radio this year on the PCT.

I love podcasts. I love that long-form interviews, and stories, and random hiker chats are able to be recorded. I love the updates done right from the trail, as the hikers are walking. I think doing one for my hike would be an awesome way of having an "audio journal" of the hike and the people met along the way. Youtube and video seem far, far too disruptive to the vibe of a thru-hike. Seriously, who takes their phone and puts it on their trekking pole as a selfie stick? Gross.

This isn't being done as a way to make money out on the trail - I'm not asking for a dime, or advertising on the show, I'm just looking for another way to flex my creativity muscle during my hike.

So, I understand what I enjoy in a podcast, but I need your help refining the format of the show - Anyone who listens to thru-hike podcasts is also likely on Whiteblaze, so I figured I'd post here for help!

Some questions for those who listen to hiking podcasts like Sounds of the Trail, Trailside Radio, and The Trail Show:

What do you LOVE about whatever show you listen to? What keeps you coming back?
What features or segments would you add to your favorite shows?
What annoys you about your favorite shows?

Also, I would love someone to bounce ideas off of, especially anyone who has started a podcast, or is familiar with the process of launching a podcast. I've never done something like this before. PM me, please!

Uncle Joe
09-28-2015, 19:27
I provide audio coverage for "bikepacking" races with my podcast MTBCast for 10 years. Most notably, the Tour Divide which I have been doing audio for since the days of it's precursor, the Great Divide Race. In that format, racers are given a toll-free number and they call my service leaving updates about their race along the way. I post them up during the day as they come in and make them available on a feed on my site, as well as in an app. In the evening I package them up and post them to a main feed for things like iTunes, typically along with some commentary. This has expanded now to several races.

I've been toying with offering this as a service to bike tourists who are doing long-distance treks etc. and haven't really thought of doing it for hikers but it is an interesting format for them as well. However, it's a manual process. I take in the audio, manually edit it, and post it. Anyone, however, could do this same thing. If you record a message and even send it to someone to post to a blog you'd at least get it out there. Have someone back home creating a blog post is trivial. If it's Word Press, have them create a category for it and you have yourself a feed. You'd just need a place to store the audio files.

2000miler
09-28-2015, 21:00
I'll check out that podcast! Very cool idea!

I'd have someone back home to piece together the individual audio files. This would be very "raw" - I'd decide which interviews / self-reflection to upload, and my friend back home would drop those audio files together in audacity (or another program?) and send on to a hosting site for the podcast.

As the service out on the trail is spotty at best, I wouldn't want to do something that depends on cellular reception (like you have in your process). I'm trying to figure out the best way to 1) record the files offline onto an android phone, and 2) easily upload the files for my friend back home. One way that jumped out at me was in Evernote. I could have a notebook for my hike, then each day could be a separate note. Evernote allows you to record an mp3 (while not connected to the internet) directly into a note, then saves it and allows you to listen, and record other mp3's into the same note. Then when you link back up with Wi-Fi, it'll upload everything and synchronize for my friend back home, who could open his Evernote and see all the new days that have been uploaded, with individual mp3 files available for download and listening.

Any other thoughts? This is more of the technical side than the "show format" side, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm still in the early days of figuring out the workflow.

Uncle Joe
09-29-2015, 17:59
The important thing is to get the file to your friend. The crux is do you have a place to store the files so they can be linked in a post? I know some people use some cloud storage solutions but the key is that they are publicly accessible as a link will require that. If you have a website that allows you to upload files and link to them that would also be sufficient. There are also podcasting sites that allow you to do stuff similar to this. It would be a matter of recording to their app and having people access their site to retrieve.

As for format or how you do it, I think something similar to what my callers do would work well for hiking. "Hello, this is 2000miler! I made it to the Hiker Hostel today. My first 20mi day. It's been rainy but it should be clearing tomorrow..." etc. I wouldn't try to do anything more flashy than that. People love hearing from people on the trail, how your hike is going etc. This is the bulk of the kind of call-ins I get. I do get some occasionally funny (and weird) calls but those are typically very entertaining. Bike racers have a tendency to get punchy after pedaling 100+ miles a day.

Neemor
10-01-2015, 20:28
Seriously, who takes their phone and puts it on their trekking pole as a selfie stick? Gross.

*Raises Hand*...

Uncle Joe
10-04-2015, 08:52
*Raises Hand*...

As do I. Or, as have I. I have a small handle I have been using recently. Thinking of going back to the trekking pole, though. I like documenting my hikes.

futureatwalker
10-04-2015, 15:49
"Sounds of the Trail, Trailside Radio, and The Trail Show:"

I listen to all of the above on my drive to work.

Honestly, what I like is the narrative. I like hearing about what the show host is going through. I'm not on the trail, so I like hearing how the walk is going. I like hearing the sounds of the trail. And the banter at the shelters.

A podcast of the AT is sorely needed.

David S.
10-04-2015, 16:12
Personally, I don't care for bumper music. I like when a podcast gets down to business from the time I hit play. If the content sucks, no amount of bumper music and other fun effects will make it better. I don't curse myself...but it pisses me off when that stuff is bleeped or muted. I'm a big boy, I can handle when people are real.

2000miler
10-06-2015, 15:10
As do I. Or, as have I. I have a small handle I have been using recently. Thinking of going back to the trekking pole, though. I like documenting my hikes.

Haha, no offense intended! My stomach just curls up at the thought of talking to my phone while it's filming video of me. For whatever reason, audio just feels more... I dunno, pure? And less intimidating.

Ratatouille
11-12-2015, 00:06
I'm excited to see more people podcasting from the trail. I'm not sure if you're the same person who recently messaged me with some questions about how I produce Trailside Radio. I know there are a few people talking about getting into trail podcasting next year. I think it's great! Let me know if I can provide any assistance.

There is something nice about doing audio with no video. Many people are more comfortable sharing their stories and feelings when there's no camera involved.

It has been a ton of work, and podcasting really slowed me down on trail, but it ended being the best part of an already amazing experience. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to listening.

Uncle Joe
11-12-2015, 00:14
Haha, no offense intended! My stomach just curls up at the thought of talking to my phone while it's filming video of me. For whatever reason, audio just feels more... I dunno, pure? And less intimidating.

I use a Sony Action Cam. Just got a GoPro but not sure I'll switch to that as the Sony has better audio.