PDA

View Full Version : zoid vs. canyonlands

jigsaw
01-22-2003, 15:59
hi all im looking for opinions on these two tents.up until now ive been using shires tarp/tent wich has been fine.ive been using shelters about 95% of the time. but now i want to spend more time out of shelters. and the tarp is not for me everynight. i know peaks is aziod user and lonewolf a canyonlands man any pros and cons of each tent wuold be great thanks jigsaw

Peaks
01-22-2003, 18:24
Can't speak for the Canyonlands, but what attracted me to the Zoid was:

Weight
Price
side zip entry mostly. I can reach everything inside withut crawling in.

RagingHampster
01-22-2003, 18:33
Check out Dancing Light Gear tents. Even lighter, more features, and more room.

yogi clyde
01-23-2003, 14:44
Jigsaw

What is not satisfactory with the tarptent?
I was thinking about getting one since it is lighter
and bigger then the zoid.

How is the condensation?

2Questions
01-23-2003, 17:48
I've been testing my Zoid for about 3 months, cold weather, rainy weather, snowy and windy weather. So far it has been a great performer. Some pluses +++ that have interested me are: the black bottom dries quickly in the sun, the side entry zipper stays off the ground when open, the vestibule can be rigged two ways allowing for great ventilation. Its been zero degrees here lately and I've not had condensation ice at all with the longer vestibule flap and mesh rolled up. I also like the reflective guylines and tabs on the tent. Makes it easy to find at night. Lastly, I like the fly color, it camos well.

jigsaw
01-23-2003, 21:40
yogi the thing i dont like about the tarp/tent is getting in and out. the pole is in the middle and its a bitch crawling in. i have the first model and there are five guy lines and it takes 8 stakes.the new version takes 4 stakes and has a hoop at the low end.this for sure is a better set up. ive never had it in a driving rain and wonder about it being water tight as its bugnet 12 inches on the high side. like i said if your planning on using shelters 50% of the time its fine but i want to get away from shelters and a tent seems to be for me. as with most silnylon tarps the key is to get as much ventalation as possible. i get some condensation but no more than a tent. in reading peaks post about the zoid the thing that i like is the big side entrance. and from what ive read about the canyonlands its 7 sq feet bigger than the zoid for 8 oz. more wt. over the last couple years ive gotten so caught up in cutting weight that i forgot about being comfortable. jigsaw

Scorpion
01-24-2003, 13:52
jigsaw
I'm considering a tarptent. Thinking of the two man. It would weigh a few ounces more, but would give me a lot more room inside. You said it had a hoop pole on the back side. Does the pole go through a sleeve or is it it held with clips?

You also mentioned the bugnet 12 inches high on the side. I wondered about it too, water splashing in. If I buy one it would be with a floor sewn in. Do you know if the floor is at all tubed, or does the bugnet go all the way to the ground. If so then in the event of a really heavy rain it might not only splash in, but any running water could also run in.

I currently use a ultra light year with titanium pegs. It is just under 3 pounds. The tarptent would save a pound and give me more room too. I am concerned about the above questions. Would appreciate any info you could give me.

Scorpion

Footslogger
01-24-2003, 14:17
I've had the Zoid I (Walrus - pre MSR) and footprint now for a couple years and have truly enjoyed that little tent. Not the most spacious tent around but at 5'10" it's all I need. Vestibule is roomy enough to cover boots and backpack. Aside from the light weight though, what I really like is that the rain fly goes almost all the way to the ground. I've been in driving rains and never had any splashback. Tent is heavily vented and as a result condensation is not a concern. All in all I gotta give the Zoid a thumbs up.
Having said that however, I'm doing my thru this year with the Wanderlust Nomad Lite. Just couldn't pass up the opportunity to shed the extra pound.
But I'm not getting rid of my Zoid ...no way, no how !!

Peaks
01-24-2003, 16:59
How do you fit your pack under the vestibule? I keep mine under the rain cover outside?

jigsaw
01-24-2003, 17:35
scorpion im not really sure how hoop is attached. like i said i have the first modelthe bug net leaves about four inches that fold under and its held down with boots, rocks etc. check out tarptent.com for answers. i had moonbowgear sew mine so i diddnt deal with henry direct but from what ive read he's very helpful.like most things the new version is probably better?

Footslogger
01-24-2003, 17:44
Peaks ...I just tip the pack up on its side and lean it against the tent body by the front pole. When I zip down the tent fly it is completely covered and not pushing out against it.

VaTechDC517
02-24-2004, 00:04
Anyone have anything to say regarding the use of the MSR Zoid footprint? Any reasons specific to this tent for which you would advise one to use or not use the footprint. What have you all done in the past? As of right now, I have not purchased the footprint (or the tent for that matter). Appreciated,

Al

Peaks
02-24-2004, 08:59
For what it's worth, I have the Zoid footprint, and used it during my hike.

It's made out of coated nylon. I like some type of ground cloth under my tent. I think it helps save the floor of the tent from small punctures due to stones and other debris on the ground. I also use a ground cloth under my sleeping bag in shelters, mainly to keep the bag a little cleaner.

I can't say that it is any better (or any worse) than a heavy duty plastic sheeting, or Tyvek. I don't recall seeing anyone set up the footprint and fly only without the inner tent.

2Ply
02-24-2004, 09:19
Am I the only Canyonland user out there? I like mine due to the versatility, use the whole thing together and your less than 4#s, when it's not buggy out I use just the fly & footprint, when the weathers great but the bugs are not I use just the full mesh tent. The netting can be used under any tarp ( with or without the single pole,just tie it to the tarp ) for more covered space but better bug protection. The vestibule is only about 8sq ft but opens out like an awning with your poles or use one pole in the middle for more covered space in wet weather to let water run away from the opening. Lots of options! ;)

Lone Wolf
02-24-2004, 09:21
I have the Canyonlands too. Love it.

BrianMitchell
02-24-2004, 13:22
I have owned both the Canyonlands and the Zoid 1.

I was initially attracted to the Canyonlands because I liked the idea of being able to open the door and create a bit of an awning using my trekking poles as support. That worked well. However, once inside the tent I hated the fact that when I sat up, I had netting hitting me on either side of the face. I couldn't ever pitch it so that didn't happen. I found the netting being too close to my face to be really annoying when doing anything other than laying down. I did survive a huge downpour in it though without any condensation problems and I stayed completely dry. Anyway, I returned the Canyonlands.

Now, I've switched to the Zoid. Haven't been in any thunderstorms yet (just a few rainshowers), but it has held up so far. Not as much headroom when sitting up, but adequate. I, too, like the side entry. I can just barely get my boots and pack under the vestibule. I like its small profile. I can fit it in any site no matter how small. I tried the footprint, but I don't think it was sized correctly. I wound up having some stick out from underneath the tent which could catch water. I returned it and now just use a mylar emergency blanket as a ground cloth.

On a side note, I've switched to using a tarp during the fall and early spring when the bugs aren't out.

Brushy Sage
02-24-2004, 21:20
I used a tarp for a year or so, then switched to a Canyonlands, and am quite pleased with the tent. It's actually much easier (and faster) to erect than the tarp was, and it does keep out the wind and provide a few degrees more of protection from the cold than the open tarp did. I haven't been in driving rain yet. I use a mylar emergency blanket, like those in survival kits, for a ground cloth.

Tinker
02-28-2004, 02:03
Canyonlands owner here. The tent is nice and airy, but too many stakes to set up. I rarely use it anymore. Bought Hennessey Hammock last year, and Hilleberg Akto this year. I plan on doing a thru next year starting in March with the Akto, then switching to the hammock when the weather gets warmer.

Consider the number of stakes you will need. When you must use a tent platform, this comes into play in a big way, as you have to tie your stake loops to the platform. I considered buying the Sierra Designs Lightyear for that reason before I bought the hammock.

weary
03-11-2004, 12:25
I continue to be fascinated by the Black Diamond Betamid, but I never see it mentioned for some reason. At 20 ounces the optional version seems like a perfect emergency shelter for someone like me who tends to use the shelters where room permits.

Has anyone any experience with the optional or its larger sibling, 115" by 80" and a pound heavier?

Weary

Dances with Mice
03-11-2004, 15:29
I continue to be fascinated by the Black Diamond Betamid, but I never see it mentioned for some reason. At 20 ounces the optional version seems like a perfect emergency shelter for someone like me who tends to use the shelters where room permits.

Has anyone any experience with the optional or its larger sibling, 115" by 80" and a pound heavier?

Weary

I have both the BetaMid and a MegaLight. Both work great, I prefer using either one to staying in a shelter.

Anything in particular you would you like to know?

HikeLite
03-16-2004, 12:04
I've been testing my Zoid for about 3 months, cold weather, rainy weather, snowy and windy weather. So far it has been a great performer. Some pluses +++ that have interested me are: the black bottom dries quickly in the sun, the side entry zipper stays off the ground when open, the vestibule can be rigged two ways allowing for great ventilation. Its been zero degrees here lately and I've not had condensation ice at all with the longer vestibule flap and mesh rolled up. I also like the reflective guylines and tabs on the tent. Makes it easy to find at night. Lastly, I like the fly color, it camos well.

Questions about the zoid tents:
1. Can you put the tent up in the rain without the inner tent getting wet?
2. Can you cook in the vestibule protected from rain?
3. Can you leave the fly open and rain not get inside the inner tent?

HikeLite
03-16-2004, 12:04

Footslogger
03-16-2004, 15:04
I own the Zoid I and I have used it on rainy nights. I can set it up in the rain and keep things pretty dry inside as long as the wind isn't blowing. But that's one of the reasons I carry a bandana when I hike. You'd have to be awfully fast to set up during a downpour and NOT get SOME rain on the tent.

I've cooked in the vestibule but my stove (Trangia alcohol) was pretty close to the tent and I left the lower 8 - 10" of the fly unzipped (near the ground) for ventilation.

Getting rain inside the tent with the fly open is (again) more a function of the wind direction and velocity. Under ideal conditions (low wind blowing toward the non-door side of the tent) I would imagine that the fly could stay totally or partially open during a light rain storm. There is a way to criss-cross the two flaps of the fly so that they are essentially closed but there is still an air space to allow for ventilation.

Hope that helps.

Peaks
03-16-2004, 21:29

Well, it's my experience that you need to work quickly to get the rain fly over it. And use a pack towel to mop up any water that collects inside.

If it's raining, I get inside the tent, and set my stove up just outside the vestibule/ fly. I can reach one arm and hand outside to tend the cooking.

If it's raining, I generally close the fly, at least most of the way down.

Great tent. I like it because I can reach everywhere inside without having to crawl in.