PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Section Hike in 2016!

leahladle
09-28-2015, 20:27
Hey, everybody! I'm considering doing a section hike for around two months sometime in the May-August window of next year. It'll be my first time doing serious backpacking (but I plan on backpacking the Batona Trail in NJ to test out my abilities in the Spring). I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on what a reasonable distance to cover in 2 months would be, and where I should look at starting and ending. I would like to do an entire NOBO thru hike, but I'm starting grad school soon, and anything that extends beyond the summer would throw off my career goals (the sad reality of being an adult). Any advice is appreciated!!

MuddyWaters
09-28-2015, 21:01
350 -400 miles per month.

NJdreamer
09-28-2015, 21:17
My first backpack trip was 42 miles over 3 days on the Batona Trail. Try to get some day hikes in Pennsylvania or parts of NJ that have hills. Batona is a nice trail but basically flat. Good luck.

Disco
09-28-2015, 21:56
Based on MuddyWaters' estimate, you could start at the southern end of Shenandoah National Park (Rockfish Gap) and head NOBO to the NY-Conn state line, about 600 miles. You would cover part of VA, all of WV, all of MD, all of PA, all of NJ, all of NY ... and wind up not far from your home location.