PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Photos and Quotes to Promote Alternatives to Northbound thru-hike

Lauriep
09-29-2015, 07:46
I'm asking your help with a program I'm giving at the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Gathering on October 11 (in Shippensburg, PA) on alternative ways to experience the A.T., other than a northbound thru-hike:

1) alternative-itinerary thru-hike (flip-flop, leapfrog, etc.)
2) section-hiking
3) the 14-state challenge (hiking a piece of the A.T. in each of the Trail's 14 states)

For many people, the A.T. is an all-or-nothing proposition: either you thru-hike the A.T. (presumably northbound) or you don't set foot on. The A.T. wasn't even designed for thru-hiking, and yet thru-hiking (from Georgia to Maine) is the activity probably most associated with it. We all know the A.T. is crowded during the northbound bubble, especially at the southern end of the Trail. There are also hot spots at some popular areas at certain times.

But most of the A.T. most of the time is far from crowded.

I'd love to have some photos or quotes illustrating:

how you enjoyed the A.T. in a way other than via a northbound thru-hike
crowded conditions on the Trail that would be helpful. (Please ID where and when the photos were taken)

I plan to have a panel for part of the program--let me know if you'd like to participate.

Please email me at [email protected].

Thanks in advance!

Laurie P.
ATC

Lauriep
09-29-2015, 17:46
Who here is going to The Gathering?

I see Wolf asked this question on another thread earlier this month but got no responses. Maybe we need another thread promoting it.

If there are any newbies reading this, The Gathering offers a great chance to learn a ton of info from experts on every hiking topic imaginable. Typically, they include things like lightweight gear, how to dehydrate food, hiking for women, how to avoid Lyme disease, Leave No Trace, and dozens of other subjects.

For recent A.T. hikers, if you've got the itch to hike another trail, there's no better place to learn the nitty gritty about how to plan for other trails in the U.S. and around the world than The Gathering. Plus, you get to see some hikers from your class year, as well as some of those legendary figures from the Trail.

I don't know specifically who's attending this year, but frequent attendees are Bob Peoples, AWOL, Miss Janet, Baltimore Jack, Chris "Frost" Galloway, and of course hundreds more, including both "dreamers" to many who have hiked the A.T. 5, 8, 10 or more times.

Just Bill
09-30-2015, 13:45
Just giving this a bump... hopefully you've gotten some PM's.

Fer my part... nothing helpful springs to mind, but you're welcome to quote anything from my book you'd like.

rafe
09-30-2015, 14:03
I'm looking to share (provide) a ride for anyone wanting to go to the Gathering from eastern MA. I have wheels, just looking for company... it's a bit of ride.

Lauriep
09-30-2015, 22:05
Thanks, Rafe and Just Bill!

Giuseppe
10-01-2015, 09:18
My take on hiking without the crowds from my thru hikes would be to start no later than feb 20 for nobo and contend with winter for a month with the colder temps, ice and snow with possibility of a lot of town time when it gets nasty. Start a nobo later, contend with the crowd until you can out hike them and beat feet until you do and then some. For sobo, start by august 1 and see the nobos in nh, me, and vt with the stragglers into ny, but still finish by Christmas- start july 1 for home by thanksgiving possibility and Christmas definitely and see nobos thru new England and stragglers in ny and nj. On a sobo now, saw a lot of nobos in me, some in the whites and nh, and even some in rutland, vt -last week. It is hard to pass thru the whites until the huts start to close and not see a crowd, they are beautiful and hopefully they and the rest of the trail will not be loved to death. Quite frankly, a lot of the people that are doing thru’s, seem to be coming out for the camaraderie scene, as much or more than for the nature and solitude.
Giuseppe

rafe
10-01-2015, 09:50
Any of you southbounders got nice photos of autumn foliage?

Cool stories/photos about stuff that might only happen on a SOBO or flip-flop hike?

Send them to Laurie!

It's pretty clear what she and ATC are trying to do here. I can't see how anyone would not support it.

Just Bill
10-01-2015, 11:39
Laurie-
I just remembered you passed on your copy to someone else...

2 cents you didn't ask for- I think another "alternative" that is often overlooked is a late start NOBO (may-oct) which also has many of the late season colors, coolness, and benefits of a SOBO but still lets those who can't get over a NOBO do a little something different, and there are little to no concerns of any southern services closing up as you're still "in season" You can also still hit trail days if you want and start your hike just after. (and no fighting winter in the smokies!)

The first bit, in bold, is probably the overwhelming and most lasting memory of a SOBO hike for me.
But I gave you the full quote as I think (like me) many might be surprised to find how much of a community they can find on a SOBO hike, and that I think because you mix yourself up with flip-flops, passing nobo's, and other folks you tend to appreciate this smaller community all the more for it and also meet the most interesting mix of hikers overall.

I think that one of the other big surprises of any alternative hike, is that folks seeking solitude or just a long hike (not a thru) often find themselves pleasantly drawn into the AT community, even if they are intentionally avoiding it... especially when it trickles in slowly without all the crowds, feeds, and other things that many find distasteful.

If you'd like the complete story let me know. This is from "Mountain Laurel" which covers a bit of sobo, flip-flop, and other stuff... but seems a quote is all you need.

"Day after breathtaking day I walked down red rose petal carpeted trails flanked by every possible shade of yellow, orange, and dozens of hues as yet un-captured by the Crayola crayon company.

The miles began to build, the surprisingly pretty states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey passed by. Each filled with delightfully new country for this mid-western traveler. It was the greatest adventure of my life, all that had been promised and more. While this trip was a whim, it became the dream that more commonly dominates the minds of those who undertake this trail. Somewhere along the way, this became the place I belonged. Completing this trail the most important undertaking of my life.

Back then people would leave books in the shelters, finish a book, leave it behind, and take another- the only rule for this library. I also spent a good deal of time reading the trail registers on my breaks. The news of fellow hikers ahead began to take on the commonly held fascination for me as well. I had never planned on the camaraderie, never thought of myself as a thru-hiker really. But as the miles went by, as I began to catch up to those ahead, I became a Southbounder. I learned all I could about my fellow adventurers who went "the wrong way" on the trail that season."

A great song for the fall hiker too if you want some background music
(Allison Krause and Robert Plant version is a bit better)
Leaves were falling just like embers
In colors red and gold, they set us on fire
Burning just like a moonbeam in our eyes…

John Prine, “Killing the Blues”

Also- Matt Kirk's poem "Remember" is also a fantastic "ode" to any southbound journey. I'm guessing he'd be happy to let you use it.

Kaptainkriz
10-01-2015, 19:06
So, I'll make up a term and call it GPXing. I'm collecting bits and pieces of the trail as my wife and I hike them with my GPS and pasting them into a master file. I'll consider us done if and when we get the whole track filled in. We enjoy looking at others videos and pictures online, we look at trail maps online and figure out simple loops that grab parts of the trail that look interesting and return us to the vehicle. We just started, our kids are now both in college and we have free time to be spontaneous and just hike if we want. For our 25th wedding aniversary we did a loop over mount washington...it was ambitious for us, but we took our time (0.5mph) and it was huge fun and we did not hurt ourselves. Feel free to use any of our photos from here: https://picasaweb.google.com/108363005112758521525/MountWashington2015Hike?authuser=0&feat=directlink
And http://youtu.be/aPElzWdMuzk

We'll probably also seek to grab all the highest points in each state. Another thing we do is geocache. It's fun to combine a geocache with a hike to/from the AT...there are oodles of them to be found and many are in cool places to visit. :)

Lauriep
10-02-2015, 17:25
Thank you guys so much! Really beautiful quote, Bill. Perfection.

Interesting to hear about the GPX-ing concept, Kaptainkriz.

And yes, a late-start nobo (with a plan to flip later) has a lot going for it. We actually do feature that on our website at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/alternative, calling it the "classic flip-flop."

Lauriep
10-02-2015, 17:26
Accidental duplicate post deleted.

dudeijuststarted
10-02-2015, 17:46
The hostels are quiet. Norovirus becomes an urban legend. The shelters are clean and private. You have your pick of the campsites. You get the trail angel VIP treatment. You can hike Vermont in the fall. All of this can be yours on an alternative thru hike.

(Gee I hope it doesn't become too popular!)

Dogwood
10-03-2015, 00:05
After a April 13 2006 AT NOBO start date, a Thursday, at Amicalola Falls SP:

In the heart of the NOBO AT thru-hiking bubble in 2006 I counted 23 hikers(19 being thru hikers) and two thru-hiking dogs in 14 person capacity Ed Garvey shelter in Maryland. Immediately outside the shelter I counted 11 different tents and another 16 hikers and two dogs in those tents, 5 hammockers, and 7 people cowboy camping. 23+16+5+7= 51 people(and 4 dogs) at one 14 person shelter. Another three hiker groups, two duos and one trio, and two solo hikers, ANOTHER 9 HIKERS(and one additional dog), came by after 9:30 p.m. expecting to stay too but decided to hike on. These were the smart ones. Best part of the night was EVERYONE being awakened at 2:30 a.m having ALL their I.D.'s examined by more uniformed officials with patches, badges, piercing flashlights, and scent sniffing dogs than I've ever seen even at a New Years Eve DUI check point looking for a person that was missing and presumed to be suicidal.

Again within the NOBO thru-hiking bubble, same yr, 2006, at Fontana Dam AT shelter, the "Fontana Hilton", a 20 person capacity shelter, I counted 27 people sleeping inside the shelter, several on the ground/floor of the shelter, 11 people in 9 tents in a very cramped situation, and 3 hammockers hanging from anything, and, 5, COUNT EM FIVE DOGS, a ferret and one cat. The ferret, cat, and three of the dogs all belonged to thru hikers. All the competing animals, both people and pets, undescribable OHDOORS, and nauseous Vienna sausage and cheap beer farts, made for an eventful but largely sleepless night, despite my ear plugs, Mp3 player, and bandanna over my eyes, and especially with all the fresh food and alcohol brought to the shelter.

That was in 2006, WHEN THE NOBO AT THRU-HIKER ATTEMPTERS WERE ABOUT HALF, THAT'S 1/2, OF WHAT THEY CURENTLY ARE!

Alternative AT hiking itineraries? DAMN RIGHT!

Since 2007 I've cherry picked section hiked the entire AT again in 90- 700 mile or so segments at a time going both NOBO and SOBO. LOTS of GREAT ASPECTS to section hiking the AT! On just about everyone of those section hikes I had cherry picked for awesome cooler hiking weather, NO crowds, shelter space always being available, and.....and.....

Lauriep
10-03-2015, 10:52
Dudeijuststarted and Dogwood--great quotes.

Contrasting the flip-flop experience with the nobo experience is really helpful, too.

rustmd
10-03-2015, 14:16
i have been an AT section hiker since 2010. . .i've been an all-around hiker since perhaps age 8 when i first climbed mt. washington with summer camp. . .i've hiked other places in the east, the west and alaska. hiking the AT in sections has brought me more joy than i would have realized. for the past 5 years i've lived with AT hiking plans, trying to hike 300+ miles each year. each section hike gives me more. . .more knowledge, more confidence, more hiking friends. i workout during the months between my long hikes so i am always in excellent shape. i refine and tweak my gear weight, learn to dehydrate more food, i have more AT stories to share with family & friends. i am astounded that i am actually nearing my very own 2,000+ mile goal. . .with over 70% of the AT completed, and recently retired, i hope to finish the whole Trail by fall of 2016. section-hiking the AT has been delightful for me!

.com