PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiking quote

HeartWalker
09-29-2015, 13:31
I need help finding a quote/article about how hard it is to thru hike. It talks about being willing to be soaked and everything you own being wet, mud, etc. I've searched the ATC website and Whiteblaze but can't find it. Does anyone here know the quote or article I'm referring to. I'm almost sure I saw it on the ATC website. Thanks

Dogwood
09-29-2015, 13:39
Lots of comments and articles with those references and phrasing. I take special note of those kinds of thru-hiking realities and the mental fortitude and adjustments it takes to thru-hike. If you can recall more details about the article I might be able to help.

HeartWalker
09-29-2015, 13:44
Just how grueling g it is and how strenuous and basically miserable conditions for six months or so. Sorry to many great hairs now to remember more. Probably was no more than one to three paragraphs.

Slo-go'en
09-29-2015, 14:07
No rain, no pain, no Maine...

HeartWalker
09-29-2015, 14:12
Thanks but it was much longer. Basically trying to lay out the harsh reality that lies ahead for a thru hiker.

Colter
09-29-2015, 14:25
Thanks but it was much longer. Basically trying to lay out the harsh reality that lies ahead for a thru hiker.

When people talk or write about the trail, they like to talk of the splendid sunsets, the beauty of the wilderness, the friendships and spectacular views. You hear less of the aching knees, the fatigue, the insects, putting on cold, wet shoes and clothes morning after morning, and the sometimes suffocating humidity of the Appalachians in summer. You hurt a lot, you’re tired a lot and to be frank you spend a whole lot of time simply enduring.

Was this, by chance, part of the article?

HeartWalker
09-29-2015, 14:26
Thanks that's good but not it.

Odd Man Out
09-29-2015, 15:05
Before attempting a thru hike, try taking a cold shower fully clothed while burning $100 bills. If you enjoy that, you can be a thru hiker.

Dogwood
09-29-2015, 15:15
OMO, LOL. :clap

Lauriep
09-29-2015, 16:48
Something from Step By Step: An Introduction to Walking the A.T. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/step-by-step-web-version.pdf?sfvrsn=0)?

HeartWalker
09-29-2015, 17:01
That was one of the first places I looked. That introduction part under planning is close but not it. Thank y'all so much for trying to help me out. This is going to drive me crazy trying to remember it. It made such an impression on me that I can no believe I can't remember it.

Rmcpeak
09-29-2015, 18:20
I think I know the quote. It was maybe on appalachiantrials.com a while back... The guy had a trail name like "Mr. Happy" or something like that... I'm looking for it but can't find it.

Rmcpeak
09-29-2015, 18:36
I need help finding a quote/article about how hard it is to thru hike. It talks about being willing to be soaked and everything you own being wet, mud, etc. I've searched the ATC website and Whiteblaze but can't find it. Does anyone here know the quote or article I'm referring to. I'm almost sure I saw it on the ATC website. Thanks

Found what I was thinking of. I was close. It's Dr. Grumpy! http://appalachiantrail.com/20150102/doctor-grumpys-ten-tips-appalachian-trail-thru-hikers/

HeartWalker
09-30-2015, 11:48
Thanks again. Guess maybe I'll find it somewhere.