PDA

View Full Version : Multi-day Loop suggestions for next weekend.

BamaB2
09-29-2015, 16:14
Hi everyone. looking for suggestions for a 2 or 3 day loop hike for my son and I. We aren't looking for high miles, just want to camp and hike. In the area of 5 miles a day would be just fine. Thought about the Pinhoti/Chinnabee/Skyway loop. I think it's around 16.7 miles. We would probably camp two nights for this one. Also saw some mention of a Cave Creek/Odum/Pinhoti loop. How long would this loop be? I've never been to this area before so any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Pros or cons on either of these?
Must see spots?
Best routes for either?
Good camp location suggestions?
Safest places to leave vehicle?

Thanks

HooKooDooKu
09-29-2015, 19:05
I've never camped anywhere on the Pinhoti, so I can't help you there.

Sipsey Wilderness
If you want to stay somewhere close to home, the Sipsey Wilderness is practically right next door to you in Hartselle.
http://www.sipseywilderness.org/maps/mapindex.html
Here's a great overview of the trails (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5274999.jpg).
I haven't done much camping there... just two trips of one night a piece with the kids.
#1: Borden Trailhead making a loop out of West Borden Trail, 209, 204, 224; camping on 209 somewhere between intersections with 202 and 204.
(Note: West Borden Trail is an unlisted trail on the opposite side of the river from 200. Hiking the West Borden Trail rather than 200 avoids having to wade across the river at the junction with 209).
#2: Braziel Trilhead making a loop out of 210, 208, 223; camping about 1 mile down 207 from the 210/208/207 intersection.

If you use Google Earth, I've made a set of paths and waypoints that show where the trails are and the parking areas for Sipsey.

GSMNP
But the place I camp the most is Great Smoky Mountains National Park (I've already got a trip planned with my boys there for that same weekend).
I live a little south of Birmingham, and from what I can tell from Google Maps, you should be able to get to GSMNP via Huntsville/Scottsboro/Hwy72 to Chattanooga in about the same time it takes me to drive thru Bham and up I-59 to Chattanooga. It's only about a 5 hour drive (depending upon where in the park you are going).

I've got tons of suggestions I can make, and if this is your first trip to GSMNP and you're prepared for a little cool weather, the first thing I would suggest is a trip to Gregory Bald. You would be going right in the middle of the fall color season (so you'll want to avoid driving thru Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg).

To camp in the Smokies, you have to stay at designated campsites, and you have to get reservations for each campsite via the permit/reservation website: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1

The 1st suggestion that I'm going to make is the Twentymile Gregory Bald Loop (South-West corner of the park).
Park at the Twentymile Ranger Station.
Day 1 is only a 4.2 mile hike to CS#92.
Day 2 is a 4.6 mile climb to the Bald and CS#13.
Day 3 is a 6.7 mile hike (all down hill) back to the car.
You would be going right at the peak fall leaf color, so I'm surprised there's even weekend reservations at #13.
BTW, if you follow Google Maps directions, it will take you on a section of Hwy 129 known as 'The Tail of the Dragon'. You should experience it at least once... but it's a very windy road that you can avoid by taking Hwy 64 and Hwy 129 from Cleveland, TN thru Murphy and Robbinsville.
I'll warn you that CS#13 is at an elevation of 4,655'. Temps will be a little cooler than you will find a locations such as Gatlinburg. You can get a weather forecast specific to the bald at Mountain-forecast.com (http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Gregory-Bald/forecasts/1508). I'll also warn you that CS#13 is usually a little windy, so the mornings can be quite chilly in October. But once you start hiking down the mountain, things warm up a lot quicker.

If interested, I can suggest plenty of other hikes in GSMNP that only require about 5 or so miles a day for one or two night trips.

paraguay
09-29-2015, 19:30
I have hiked the Pinhoti/Chinnabee/Skyway loop twice before as an overnight (a few years ago). Here is a link to the loop guide that I used: http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/loop---pin-chin-sky..html . This is a very good guide. I remember it being challenging terrain especially at mile 3.7 (Stairway to Heaven), but not too challenging to the point that it isn't fun. Cheaha falls at mile 9 is very beautiful. I think it would be very relaxing to camp 2 nights. We parked at Adams Gap trailhead and didn't have any problems. I would definitely recommend this hike.

golfjhm
09-29-2015, 21:43
Cave creek/Odum/Pinhoti is about 12 miles but little elevation change. Cave creek side is about 5 miles and Pinhoti side is about 7 miles due to Mcdill overlook kink. Water is usually available at cave creek and intersection of Odum/Pinhoti but Pinhoti Mcdill stretch is a little dry depending on time of year. Could cut over to get water on connector between Pinhoti and cave creek if you want to camp at Mcdill point (great overlook). This is a great intro hike for younger kids as it has nice views and isn't strenuous. Search the Pinhoti thread as I know there is a good link to a map of all the cheaha trails.

BamaB2
09-30-2015, 14:34
I've never camped anywhere on the Pinhoti, so I can't help you there.

Sipsey Wilderness
If you want to stay somewhere close to home, the Sipsey Wilderness is practically right next door to you in Hartselle.
http://www.sipseywilderness.org/maps/mapindex.html
Here's a great overview of the trails (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5274999.jpg).
I haven't done much camping there... just two trips of one night a piece with the kids.
#1: Borden Trailhead making a loop out of West Borden Trail, 209, 204, 224; camping on 209 somewhere between intersections with 202 and 204.
(Note: West Borden Trail is an unlisted trail on the opposite side of the river from 200. Hiking the West Borden Trail rather than 200 avoids having to wade across the river at the junction with 209).
#2: Braziel Trilhead making a loop out of 210, 208, 223; camping about 1 mile down 207 from the 210/208/207 intersection.

If you use Google Earth, I've made a set of paths and waypoints that show where the trails are and the parking areas for Sipsey.

GSMNP
But the place I camp the most is Great Smoky Mountains National Park (I've already got a trip planned with my boys there for that same weekend).
I live a little south of Birmingham, and from what I can tell from Google Maps, you should be able to get to GSMNP via Huntsville/Scottsboro/Hwy72 to Chattanooga in about the same time it takes me to drive thru Bham and up I-59 to Chattanooga. It's only about a 5 hour drive (depending upon where in the park you are going).

I've got tons of suggestions I can make, and if this is your first trip to GSMNP and you're prepared for a little cool weather, the first thing I would suggest is a trip to Gregory Bald. You would be going right in the middle of the fall color season (so you'll want to avoid driving thru Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg).

To camp in the Smokies, you have to stay at designated campsites, and you have to get reservations for each campsite via the permit/reservation website: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1

The 1st suggestion that I'm going to make is the Twentymile Gregory Bald Loop (South-West corner of the park).
Park at the Twentymile Ranger Station.
Day 1 is only a 4.2 mile hike to CS#92.
Day 2 is a 4.6 mile climb to the Bald and CS#13.
Day 3 is a 6.7 mile hike (all down hill) back to the car.
You would be going right at the peak fall leaf color, so I'm surprised there's even weekend reservations at #13.
BTW, if you follow Google Maps directions, it will take you on a section of Hwy 129 known as 'The Tail of the Dragon'. You should experience it at least once... but it's a very windy road that you can avoid by taking Hwy 64 and Hwy 129 from Cleveland, TN thru Murphy and Robbinsville.
I'll warn you that CS#13 is at an elevation of 4,655'. Temps will be a little cooler than you will find a locations such as Gatlinburg. You can get a weather forecast specific to the bald at Mountain-forecast.com (http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Gregory-Bald/forecasts/1508). I'll also warn you that CS#13 is usually a little windy, so the mornings can be quite chilly in October. But once you start hiking down the mountain, things warm up a lot quicker.

If interested, I can suggest plenty of other hikes in GSMNP that only require about 5 or so miles a day for one or two night trips.

HooKooDooKu,
Thanks for the info. We've spent a fair amount of time in the Sipsey. From day hikes to over nights to kayaking, it's a great place to have near. I was just looking for something different. We were actually planning to do a loop just north of Fontana Lake but now I'm trying to save my son a little time. Next weekend is his college fall break and the nice professors have scheduled 3 tests for the following week. I figured Cheaha would at least cut out a lot of travel time. May have to shorten the trip as well. I'm liking the sound of that Gregory Bald loop. I'm going to keep that in my back pocket for another trip, maybe spring. Much appreciated and I may be asking you for future info. Thanks again.

By the way, if you do any canoeing or kayaking, I recommend floating the Sipsey. It's a great day run or overnight float trip. But, you need to do it in spring or early summer for better water levels.

BamaB2
09-30-2015, 14:40
I have hiked the Pinhoti/Chinnabee/Skyway loop twice before as an overnight (a few years ago). Here is a link to the loop guide that I used: http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/loop---pin-chin-sky..html . This is a very good guide. I remember it being challenging terrain especially at mile 3.7 (Stairway to Heaven), but not too challenging to the point that it isn't fun. Cheaha falls at mile 9 is very beautiful. I think it would be very relaxing to camp 2 nights. We parked at Adams Gap trailhead and didn't have any problems. I would definitely recommend this hike.

paraguay,
Do you remember where camped? I thinking about one of the campsites in that 5-6 mile in range and then again around the falls. Any recommendations?

BamaB2
09-30-2015, 14:43
Cave creek/Odum/Pinhoti is about 12 miles but little elevation change. Cave creek side is about 5 miles and Pinhoti side is about 7 miles due to Mcdill overlook kink. Water is usually available at cave creek and intersection of Odum/Pinhoti but Pinhoti Mcdill stretch is a little dry depending on time of year. Could cut over to get water on connector between Pinhoti and cave creek if you want to camp at Mcdill point (great overlook). This is a great intro hike for younger kids as it has nice views and isn't strenuous. Search the Pinhoti thread as I know there is a good link to a map of all the cheaha trails.

golfjhm,
Thanks for the info. This would make a great overnight. Is Mcdill a good camp spot?

Matt65
09-30-2015, 18:14
Near Mc Dill is a good area to camp, Take water. There is a pretty large canpsite there, and several other smaller options. Sleeping at the point (hammock) can be nice if not too windy.

charlielima
10-14-2015, 16:07
Did you guys go out on a trip? Where to, and how was it?

BamaB2
10-15-2015, 14:29
Did you guys go out on a trip? Where to, and how was it?

Hey All,
Sorry, I've been meaning to post a report but something keeps coming up. We decided to do a one nighter and chose the Cave Creek/Pinhoti loop. We were running a little behind and didn't hit the trail until noon on Thursday, Oct. 8. We had the place to ourselves and only saw one other person the entire trip and she was coming out as we entered.The weather was absolutely beautiful.

We went clockwise and started on Cave Creek. Like everyone has said, Cave Creek is a pretty easy hike. If you were wanting to cover some distance quickly, you could on this trail. However, speed was not our objective so we took our time and even went off trail to explore some. About a mile in, we were greeted by the welcoming committee, a timber rattler. He was right on the side of the trail but had zero interest in us. There are some really good views and overlooks on Cave Creek.

Since we got a late start, we decided to take the cut off trail over to Pinhoti. The intersection was well marked with what looked like new signs. The cut off trail was good and terminated at the Pinhoti in a very rocky area. The cut off trail and the length of the Pinhoti up to McDill Point was probably 2 miles total.

After a short visit at the plane crash site, we arrived at our campsite, McDill Point around 4:00. McDill Point is quite a site. The view is spectacular. We climbed around on the multiple outcroppings and explored the area. The Mcdill welcoming committee consisted of little grey lizards. They were everywhere. We set up camp and settled in for a sunset, which didn't really materialize because of clouds on the horizon. Oh well. Just before sunset, the breeze picked up a little. I figured this would be good and help keep the bugs down. Unfortunately, it kept getting stronger. I thought it was going to blow us off the mountain. It whipped our rain fly around all night and didn't calm until right before dawn. Very little sleep. The next morning was perfect weather. Since the wind was gone, we were able to get a fire going and eat some breakfast. A little more exploring and it was time to break camp.

The Pinhoti kicks it up a few notches. fairly rocky and some up and downs. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not in the best hiking shape but the ascent up Hernandez was tough. Pretty steep. Sure felt good to get to the top. The Pinhoti also has several good overlook spots. It's a little bit of a challenge but a really beautiful area.

All things considered, even with no sleep, it was still the best two days I've had in a while.

I'll try to attache pics. The rattler, view from the point, my son on the point, and our camp.

Matt65
10-15-2015, 16:12
Excellent trip report and pics, Wish I was out there right now.

charlielima
10-15-2015, 18:36
Looks like it was an awesome trip!