PDA

View Full Version : Budget with Gear replacement

dje97001
12-01-2005, 22:09
I know that I've seen it before, but when I typed "budget" into the search box, I had mostly threads about politics... so,

many people on here seem to feel that 1 dollar per mile isn't realistic anymore... or that 1-2 dollars per mile is the generally accepted range. Some insist you could spend 3-4 dollars per mile without too much trouble. Here is the question, are you all considering part of those budgets to be replacement gear? Like a second pair of boots, a new t-shirt now and then, etc.? Or would that budget simply be for food and town amenities?

Excitement is definitely building, but so are those cold sweats (that I'm going to forget something--like filing my taxes--before I leave)... 4 months to go!:D

Whistler
12-01-2005, 22:35
I think when you hear the $3-4/mile figure, that includes a lot of zeros, hotels, and/or booze. $1 is on the low end, though.

Consumables and Occasionals--on-trail food; town food; hostels, hotels; etc. Break out the calculator and make short work of this. It's not too hard. I'm usually about $10/day for trail food, $10 for each restaurant meal, $15 for a hostel. Look up the hotels if you think you might use them. Add your alcohol surcharge if you drink. Other C&Os include stove fuel, batteries, meds, alcohol gel, etc. Not really too pricey or hard to estimate.

Hardware--pack, pad, tent, stove, etc. These probably won't need replacement if you buy quality and test it well beforehand. Most hardware replacement is probably from gear lust for lighter or better performing equipment, rather than replacing things that have gotten thrashed. That's easily avoided with patient shopping and practice hikes.

Soft goods--clothing. For jackets, LS shirts, pants, and rainwear, you probably won't need much replacement from normal use, although gear lust can can take control. But you will probably want at least 1 new shirt, several pairs of socks, and maybe shorts, depending on what they're made of. Kind of depends on how glam you are. Clothing is a great place to save money by shopping outside of gear stores. Before you leave, check out Wal-Mart, Target, Ross, etc for synthetic dailywear. You could probably get 3 full sets [shirts, shorts, undies, several pairs of socks] for less than $100.

Don't skimp on your feet, of course. 4 pairs of shoes is a safe estimate. I'm not so sure about boots.
-Mark

weary
12-01-2005, 23:25
I know that I've seen it before, but when I typed "budget" into the search box, I had mostly threads about politics... so,

many people on here seem to feel that 1 dollar per mile isn't realistic anymore... or that 1-2 dollars per mile is the generally accepted range. Some insist you could spend 3-4 dollars per mile without too much trouble. Here is the question, are you all considering part of those budgets to be replacement gear? Like a second pair of boots, a new t-shirt now and then, etc.? Or would that budget simply be for food and town amenities?

Excitement is definitely building, but so are those cold sweats (that I'm going to forget something--like filing my taxes--before I leave)... 4 months to go!:D
Choose your gear wisely and gear replacement should not be a problem. I replaced my boots in Waynsborough VA, but my original boots were half worn out when i started. And I bought a cotton pocket tee at a virginia truck stop.

I forget what they cost. But boots and tee together came to less than $100, I think.

Towns with bars and restaurants are the big consumers of money. Minimize town stops and if money starts to get tight make generic or store brand rice, pasta and oatmeal your primary food. With a bit of juggling of bouillon, spices and sugar, some powdered milk, a few cans of tuna and packs of dried beef, one can eat remarkably inexpensively on the trail.

Weary