PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Weather

Turk6177
09-29-2015, 22:39
Last week of October, I will be section hiking between Fontana Dam and the NC/GA Line. I have done some research on wunderground to get an idea of the recent historical temperatures/precipitation. From what I am reading, it says the temps lows can be high 20's and the highs seem to be generally in the 70's. I think I selected the weather stations that are in those areas but want to make sure my research isn't way off.

Can anyone who frequently hikes in that area confirm if my weather estimates are correct? I am planning on bringing my 20 degree bag and a lightweight Northface fleece and down vest for around camp. I am pretty comfortable in that as low as 28-30. Any colder and I would probably just get into my bag anyway.

Thanks in advance for any detailed information from your own experiences you may have had.

--Turk

Falcon
09-29-2015, 23:46
You should be fine with your 20 degree bag and down vest. You should not see temps in the 20's.

saltysack
09-30-2015, 06:56
Sounds like enough cloths...if your bringing a base layer and rain jacket could probably ditch the fleece...watch the weather close before u leave as I've had freezing temps to warm ones that time of year there. Have fun I really like that section. Lots of good camp sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
09-30-2015, 07:12
Yes, there is a chance you can see temps in the 20's. It happens down here in the valleys that time of year. Your equipment sounds correct. Hope your bag is true to it's rating and of course, bring a warm hat. Daylight will be short that time of year. Have a great hike. :)

saltysack
09-30-2015, 07:19
Yes, there is a chance you can see temps in the 20's. It happens down here in the valleys that time of year. Your equipment sounds correct. Hope your bag is true to it's rating and of course, bring a warm hat. Daylight will be short that time of year. Have a great hike. :)

Good call on bag....years ago on that section being my first section hike I froze my balz off due to a synthetic bag I'd kept stored in stuff sack not realizing the damage it does.. A 32' bag is now good to about 55'....from then on from late sept-may I use my 15' down bag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misterfloyd
09-30-2015, 19:23
That is a fantastic area in that time of the year.

These sites may help regarding accurate weather.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-LeConte/forecasts/2010

http://www.atweather.org/nobo/forecast/loc_id=52.

Hope this helps
Floyd