PDA

View Full Version : SGT Rock in Iraq

SGT Rock
12-01-2005, 22:27
To all WhiteBlazers,

I want to make sure everyone here knows I am doing it again. I am leaving to go to Iraq again. I just found this out for sure today.

I won’t be leaving right away, this time I am getting about a month to get myself ready and spend time with my family. And then I get another month and a half to do some specialized training for the mission I am going to do over there. Make no mistake, I want to do this particular mission because it will help get the troops home faster - it is that sort of mission.

I know a lot of you here debate the war and our involvement to death over in the political forum, some of you are very much against what is going on over there, and I respect your opinion and freedom to express it as you want. Some of you support what we have been doing and I respect that too. Regardless, it seems that all of you support our soldiers. Please continue.

This year I had plans to go to SoRuck, Hard Core, Trail Days, and other events. Unfortunately I won’t make it this year. Where ever you all are when you do this, drink one for me please. To the class of 2006, good luck, sorry I won’t get to meet you this year. Maybe in 2007.

I hate to do this to ATTroll, he has done a great job in the past of keeping the site going without me, I am sure he will do it again. I just hope y’all ain’t too hard on him. Some of you guys can be a little testy and some can be some sniveling pansies. Don’t make it any tougher on him the next 14 or so months.

And most of all I hate to do this to my wife and kids. They tell me they understand, but I know they don’t like it. I only wish there was a way to make it easier on them. ‘Nuff said there, I will do the rest of my apologizing to them at home personally.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Good luck planning your hike.

MorrisseyFan
12-01-2005, 22:31
Sgt,

Stay safe over there. You will be in all our thoughts.

Cookerhiker
12-01-2005, 22:34
Best wishes and God bless. I'll pray for your safe return. And regarding the site maintenance while you're gone, you say it best in your signature: No sniveling!

Skidsteer
12-01-2005, 22:36
Whew... Love your attitude; hate that you must be away from your family, home, Trail and White blaze. Words can't express it etc, etc, etc, but THANKS for your service and Godspeed.
Cheers, Skidsteer

simon
12-01-2005, 22:40
God sped SGT, know you are in our prayers!

budman5
12-01-2005, 22:42
God Bless Sgt. Rock I really respect you for your service to our country.....

Tin Man
12-01-2005, 22:46
Rock,

Be safe and help our troops come home soon.

Bjorkin
12-01-2005, 22:46
Thanks for all you do on both fronts Rock. Stay low and we'll see you on the trail.

neo
12-01-2005, 22:52
God bless you Sgt Rock:cool: neo

FatMan
12-01-2005, 22:54
Rock, Thank you for your service. Stay safe and we'll keep the campfire burning awaiting your return.

Jack Tarlin
12-01-2005, 22:57
God Bless, Rock, and a safe trip home for you and your command.

We'll be thinking of you at our hiker gathering this weekend, and on other days as well.

Big Guy
12-01-2005, 23:01
Rock: May God keep you and all your fellow servicemen safe and bring all of you home soon. I will keep you and the others in my prayers.Come home safely. Know that you have individuals here that appreciate the service you provide to our country and all you sacrafice for our freedom. God Bless

rickb
12-01-2005, 23:02
Thank you, Sgt. Rock

Rick B

Skidsteer
12-01-2005, 23:02
Any inkling of how long the mission will last?-or would you have to kill us if you told us?:D

MOWGLI
12-01-2005, 23:04
Be well Sarge. You'll be missed. We look forward to your safe return - ASAP.

papa john
12-01-2005, 23:20
1. Be sure that YOU are one of the troops that get to come back.

2. Tell your wife that if she needs ANYTHING to get on here and someone will help her out.

Good luck and watch your arse!

weary
12-01-2005, 23:31
As careful readers know, I'm not a great believer in prayer, but I'll say a couple, just in case.

bbanker
12-01-2005, 23:35
Good luck, godspeed and keep your head down.

shades of blue
12-01-2005, 23:38
I was really looking forward to meeting you at soruck, so please be safe. Thank-you. Thank-you for your sacrifice and thank-you for your dedication. I hope that your mission is successful and that you are able to return home safely with your comrads as soon as possible. I will remember you in my prayers. There's an old Irish blessing that seems appropriate for this.

"May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
May the rain fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of His hand"

May God keep you safe.

Peace!

Freighttrain
12-01-2005, 23:39
stay safe n god bless

toughcookie
12-01-2005, 23:40
Thank you for your service to our country, our freedom, and the safety of so many on this earth.

Just Jeff
12-01-2005, 23:47
Stay safe over there, Rock. Glad we have people like you to do what needs to be done. Thanks.

Make sure the family knows we appreciate their sacrifices, too.

The HotDog
12-01-2005, 23:48
Thank you for your service and dedication to this great country we live in.
Thank you, again and may god bring you home safe and sound.

Our prayers are with you.

The HotDog

Sly
12-01-2005, 23:55
Stay safe Rock. You'll be missed. Make sure to let us know of your APO addy and any special goodies we can send you!

The Desperado
12-01-2005, 23:59
I dont know you Sgt Rock, but I sure respect what you are doing for our country, Thankyou! Ive been their, as "they" say.........Fortitudine Vincimus....by endurance conquer ..D

Alligator
12-02-2005, 00:13
Stay safe Sgt. All hope for a quick successful mission.

Alligator
12-02-2005, 00:16
And keep an eye out for my brother. He'll be the plumber talking about scuba diving, arriving some time late Jan.

johnny quest
12-02-2005, 00:17
you will be in my prayers along with my other friends over there. i imagine you leave with mixed feelings as many in your place do. a gentle reminder to loved ones who may question why you have to go again... because if you didnt you woulldnt be the man you are. keep your powder dry.

Mother Nature
12-02-2005, 00:17
Stay safe. I'll add you to my nightly prayers along with my son. He just got orders to return to Iraq for his second tour as well.

Mother Nature

Nean
12-02-2005, 00:32
Regardless of politics I wish you well SGT. Rock. Anything you can do to help get our troops back home is a blessing.

smokymtnsteve
12-02-2005, 00:40
As careful readers know, I'm not a great believer in prayer, but I'll say a couple, just in case.

me too ......

SteveJ
12-02-2005, 01:04
God bless and keep you, Sarge. My brother (Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.) got back from Fallujah a couple of months ago. Thank you for your service to our country, and your sacrifice for us. You and your family will be in my family's prayers....

MarcnNJ
12-02-2005, 01:04
SGT, Thank you and all our troops for what you are sacrificing to heed the call of duty for our great nation. It truely is the greatest sacrifice there is. Goodluck on your mission and lets start planning the coming home party!

God Bless

Frosty
12-02-2005, 01:31
Some of you guys can be a little testy and some can be some sniveling pansies.If those are my options, I feel a lot better about being a testy s.o.b.

attroll
12-02-2005, 01:46
Rock

Your going to leave and leave me hanging again. I am not happy with this at all as I am sure Dixie critter is not either. All the ideas we just got done discussing and our plans for the site and now you have to up and leave. That blows. Well now that I said that and have everyone wondering what we are going to do. :jump LOL.

You take care and you better made sure you come back in one piece. I can not imagine how big WhiteBlaze will be in Feb 2007 when you come back. I will probably be pulling my hair out. I may even be bald.

Take care and be safe over there.

Sleepy the Arab
12-02-2005, 01:48
Take care Rock. Next Hard Core, I'll take a couple extra swings of the pulaski for ya.

MedicineMan
12-02-2005, 02:07
Sgt. Rock, you are a great American, and a loyal family man. God bless you and your family.

bfitz
12-02-2005, 03:17
Thanks ...and be careful. See you at trail days '07!

Trooper347
12-02-2005, 03:55
From an old Cav Trooper to you...

Thank you for your service Sgt. Rock, and may you return to your family and us safely.

fishinfred
12-02-2005, 07:28
Hey Rock
To you and all the Troops over in harms way ,Thanks,God Bless and hurry home safely.Good Luck!
Fishinfred

Skidsteer
12-02-2005, 07:41
To all WhiteBlazers,

Don’t make it any tougher on him the next 14 or so months.

Sarge,
Oops. Please disregard my earlier silly question about possible mission length. Rereading your post this morning, I see you already answered this.
:datz

justusryans
12-02-2005, 07:57
We were definately looking forward to meeting you next year. sooooo, We'll still have it to look forward to! Luck Sarge!!

The Old Fhart
12-02-2005, 08:22
Hey SGT, remember to keep your head down and stay safe, we also need you back here on WB to keep the peace. Good luck.

fiddlehead
12-02-2005, 08:44
Good luck and Thanks!

the goat
12-02-2005, 08:47
no words can thank you enough, rock. god bless you and return you to us safely.

(can you believe you got SMS & weary to pray?)

gumby
12-02-2005, 09:00
Top, Thank you. As an ex-Navy boss of mine used to say, "may you have fair winds and following seas."

Marc Valley, MSgt, USAF retired

Gray Blazer
12-02-2005, 09:46
God bless you and good luck. Tell all the troops you meet that there are grateful people in the USA who love them, support them, and do realize the fantastic job they are doing.

peter_pan
12-02-2005, 09:49
Rock,

May God be your battle buddy... Thanks for answering the call, again... We all owe you... Feel free to ask any assistance, personally, for your family or for AtTroll.

Pan

ed bell
12-02-2005, 09:55
Sgt. Rock, you are a great American, and a loyal family man. God bless you and your family.
I'll second that. Be safe.:sun

otterman
12-02-2005, 09:55
Whiteblaze just isn't the same without a SGT Rock. Be wise and be safe.

sparky2000
12-02-2005, 10:07
good for you - that is, you are still available for a man's job. I'm past the "get out, your too old" stage and miss the opportunity. It's still more dangerous to drive in the USA then it is to protect the USA.

Tha Wookie
12-02-2005, 10:12
Rock,

If you go to Basra, keep an eye out for my brother!

No matter what our political views on the war, we all support the warriors.

peace to you and your family,

wook

Tim Rich
12-02-2005, 10:33
Thank you for your service and sacrifice. My prayers will go with you.

Take Care,

Tim

Morning Glory
12-02-2005, 10:49
Sarge, Thanks for doing this for us. You will be missed around here. You and your family will be in my prayers, that's for sure. This is definitely an honorable thing you are doing.

ole slo
12-02-2005, 10:58
Please add my greatful and humble voice to the choir, Sergeant. Thank you and your family. God bless all those in service to our country.

Lone Wolf
12-02-2005, 10:58
I am very proud of you.

D'Artagnan
12-02-2005, 11:04
Thank you and all those like you who serve. Your sacrifices ensure our freedoms and for that I am eternally grateful. May God bless you and keep you and return you home safely to your family and friends. Godspeed.

middle to middle
12-02-2005, 11:15
I have a son oner there who flys c130's Hope you get to travel with him. And Gods speed to you both. Sit on your helmet when flying !

Seeker
12-02-2005, 11:16
you will be in my prayers along with my other friends over there. i imagine you leave with mixed feelings as many in your place do. a gentle reminder to loved ones who may question why you have to go again... because if you didnt you woulldnt be the man you are. keep your powder dry.
and your hatchet sharp...god bless and keep you rock...

TN_Hiker
12-02-2005, 11:16
Sarge,

Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said by our fellow whiteblazers. But my all means stay safe, have a successful mission, and know you and all of our troops are in our prayers. THANK YOU for your service to this community and to our country!!!! Give the wife and kids a big ole hug and kiss for us -- we all know they are giving as much as you, just in a different manner. If the wife needs anything at all she knows where / how to find us. Just make sure she doesn't hesistate to ask for the help. Goodness knows we all will come out of the woods to help her out. Might I suggest you print this post out and show it to your comrades during your tour? Everything mentioned in this post goes for each and every member of our forces.
Godspeed to ya buddy!

SGT Rock
12-02-2005, 11:22
Dang y'all, I am feeling the love. So many people wishing me well and offering to help out makes me feel proud to be an American. I even had a gear manufacturer talk to me on the phone today and offer to try and help keep Ion Stoves viable during the deployment.

I can't believe Steve and Weary are going to pray for me, that is amazing. But I know both those guys are honorable men and I appreciate it.

Thanks for the offer to swing that Pulaski for me. I really am going to miss Hard Core this year. Maybe someone can take me a picture of the crew and send it over.

I'll keep an eye out for Wookie's brother, and anyone else y'all may know over there. I hope dream is already back, I haven't heard from him in about a month, so maybe he is re-deploying already.

Since one or two have asked: I don't know where I am going yet - trying to find that out now and I should know sometime before I start all that training.

I don't want to say too much about what I am doing, but it is one of these missions where Iraqi soldiers take the mission from American units so more Americans can get home. Hopefully I will have a direct impact so more of our guys can be home and not have to face a deployment into theater. If I find out what I can say later, I will let y'all know - this way some of you will have something to play verbal chess with over on the politics forum LOL.

Now if someone could just change my truck flywheel for me this weekend that would kick ass.

TJ aka Teej
12-02-2005, 11:25
...it seems that all of you support our soldiers. Please continue.

Always have, always will.

Story, forgive me for the length: We have Thanksgiving in Maine, where my aunt keeps house in the family homestead. Ours is a military family, fighting for and against Kings in Scotland, fighting in the French and Indian Wars, the Revolution and 1812, in Mexico and both sides of the Civil War, in the Spanish American War and WWI, in both theaters of WWII, Korea, Vietnam, 1st Gulf, and other conflicts far and wide. The table and guests often seem more like a VFW meeting than a family gathering, and my nephew, a Navy Lieutenant, would often suffer teasing for being just a 'REMF'. An officer stationed safely in the rear, far away from war.
On 9/11/2001 he was inside the Pentagon. He wasn't in the section hit by the hijacked plane, but he ran to the impact area, helped the injured, searched for survivors, and fought the fires.
He hasn't been to Thanksgiving since, having volunteered for more forward service in the Middle East.
Be safe, Rock. Thanks for your service. I look forward to the day when you and all the others return home for good.

Spartan Hiker
12-02-2005, 11:28
God speed, 1SG. You and your soldiers will always be in my prayers.

Rain Man
12-02-2005, 11:33
I suppose I can't say "Hike Your Own Hike" to a guy going on a military deployment, but do what you can!

Hope to "see" you home safe and soon. Thanks for your service.

Rain:sunMan

Mags
12-02-2005, 11:33
Good luck and be safe! We'll save a spot for you in the virtual shelter...

RockyTrail
12-02-2005, 11:39
Sgt, may God bless you and your family. I've never met you (yet), but I want you to know that we're backing you 100%; always have and always will. Thank you for your service to our nation, you fellows are truly America's finest. Our family says a prayer for y'all every night at the dinner table and please know that we will continue to do that. Keep your head down, don't go trying to be a hero and we'll see you back here in a few months.

bfitz
12-02-2005, 12:04
...don't go trying to be a hero ...
Too late...he's a hero!

Lone Wolf
12-02-2005, 12:05
Too late...he's a hero!
Yeah. No s**t!

One Leg
12-02-2005, 12:15
Now if someone could just change my truck flywheel for me this weekend that would kick ass.

Rock:

I plan on leaving here around 2pm tomorrow(Saturday) heading for your place. (You said to come either before 1 or after 3... It's gonna take me just over an hour to get there.)

I'll toss some tools in the boot of the car, and we'll 'get-r-done'.. I'm hoping (praying) you're carrying this out in your garage (HEAT??) so we won't have frozen fingers when we're done.(Yeah, I'm a pansy)

Scott

Streamweaver
12-02-2005, 12:18
Sarge,Stay Safe man!!! Come back in one peice and soon!!! Well keep the home fires burnin for you-and all the troops!!

Youngblood
12-02-2005, 12:30
Sarge,

Be as safe as you can. We all respect what you are doing.

Youngblood

Smile
12-02-2005, 12:35
Hey SGT ROCK, I am sorry I will miss meeting you at this year's SoRuck - will definately catch up with you when you return! Check your PM's.

It is such an honor to be online with a proud American soldier - not to mention a fellow hiker and someone who gives so much wonderful planning help to those who are geting ready to head out on the trail. You're terrific!

Get home safe, you will be in me and Rubberbandman's prayers!

RockyTrail
12-02-2005, 12:39
Too late...he's a hero!

Oh ABSOLUTELY indeed!
Y'all know what I mean! :datz (I meant be careful & don't stick yer neck out too far!):)

God Bless...:sun

Footslogger
12-02-2005, 13:08
I'd go with you Rock if they'd let an old soldier like me put on the uniform again. Not sure I agree with why we're there but that's water over the dam now. We're there and need to see the mission through.

Keep yer eyes/ears open and head down.

Hooah !!

'Slogger

neo
12-02-2005, 13:09
Stay safe. I'll add you to my nightly prayers along with my son. He just got orders to return to Iraq for his second tour as well.

Mother Nature

God bless you and your son and sgt rock,as well as all our men and women in service to our country,i served from 78 to 82 in the usn,thank you all
and again God bless you all:cool: neo

c.coyle
12-02-2005, 13:12
Ditto what everyone else has said.

neo
12-02-2005, 13:12
I am very proud of you.

i am very proud of ya to Sgt Rock,i am lookin forward to meeting you in person some day:cool: neo

Sly
12-02-2005, 13:30
Rock, by the way, we'd be honored if your boys could still make it to the SoRuck.

There's going to be a couple other kids there (Sloetoe's) so they'd have others to hang with. Perhaps, Dixiecritter could take them...

Nightwalker
12-02-2005, 13:51
Well, you already broke one of the two big rules: Don't volunteer. Good cause though, and thanks for doing it.

Let's see if you can follow the other big one: Keep yer freekin' head down. Don't expect much from that either!

I'll be praying for you, and hope to see you soon. I wish that time flew for you like it does for old stroke-boy here, and it'd seem like you were back in a couple of months!

FrankenLooper (thanks for the name!)
The Nightwalker

RWBlue
12-02-2005, 15:13
Good luck, God bless, Stay safe
I will add you to the list of people I know playing in the sand pit.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I know I am a newbie here, so maybe it isn’t my place to say this but I will post the idea anyway. On another board I frequent, several of the other members were heading to Iraq. We adopted that unit and sent them care packages. They are probably over supplied at times with care packages. This also helped with specialty items that special ops need that are not normal US military issue. Once you get settled have the board owners post your location and a person to receive the care packages. We found out that the military will not allow us to send packages to a group. They must be addressed to a person.

bfitz
12-02-2005, 15:31
... We adopted that unit and sent them care packages. They are probably over supplied at times with care packages. This also helped with specialty items that special ops need that are not normal US military issue. Once you get settled have the board owners post your location and a person to receive the care packages. We found out that the military will not allow us to send packages to a group. They must be addressed to a person.
No doubt! Phone cards at christmastime is a good gift easy to send...if someone knows where to send 'em no need to wait...post it! I like the adopt-a-unit idea too...we know how to make mail-drops on this board!:welcome

Big Dawg
12-02-2005, 15:41
God Bless you SGT Rock! :sun

Bjorkin
12-02-2005, 15:54
FEI (For Everyone's Information)

I'm sure Rock and many others could add to this list, but having sent a few requested items over for a few Marine friends I know they are requesting the following:

-Baby wipes
-Socks (white, green)
-Magazines
-Beef Jerky
-Candy (they like to hand it out to local kids)
-Coffee and coffee products
-Christmas fudge
-Books of crossword puzzles or other word puzzles.

They also ask for tobacco products but didn't ask me to provide them as that is up to the individual.

Never got the weights figured out but one of those cardboard boxes you keep office files in (http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536907315&prodBlockOID=49046) filled with the above is about $20 to ship to Iraq via USPS to an FPO address.

Just give us an addy Rock whenever you get settled and you'll never go without a little taste of home.

Chip
12-02-2005, 16:00
God speed and blessings upon you !!! :sun

dharmabum86
12-02-2005, 16:29
God Bless you Rock. I was looking so forward to seeing you at the Ruck. You will be missed here! I will keep you in my prayers!!!
OJ

MoBeach42
12-02-2005, 17:06
Rock, God Bless. "knowing" another person who is going to be over there brings this thing home in a much more real way. Good luck, and see you on the trail.

Disney
12-02-2005, 17:21
Good luck and God speed. I know you'll bring your men home.
I'll pray for your safe return.

No Sniveling
and
Stay alert, Stay Alive

dixicritter
12-02-2005, 18:19
I can't begin to tell y'all how touched I am by your support of Rock!

Sly... I can't make any promises right now, but if the boys want to be at the ruck I will do my very best to try and make that happen.

I promise to also keep everyone updated here, and will be posting information about him on hikinghq.net as I have it (just like last time around).

Thank you all so very much!

walkin' wally
12-02-2005, 18:54
Thank you for your service to our country and stay safe. Hope you get back soon. Take care.

Dances with Mice
12-02-2005, 19:13
I promise to also keep everyone updated here, and will be posting information about him on hikinghq.net as I have it (just like last time around).Thank you all so very much!Bless you. You've got the hardest job in your family.

Marta
12-02-2005, 19:19
Thank you, SGT Rock, for everything you are doing for the country, and for us as a hiking community. We will miss your voice of reason while you are away.

Please do let us know what we can do to help you and your unit, so if we can't help you with the big stuff, we can see that you don't want for smaller things. Sometimes we hikers can work together when it is called for. (Right, Miss Janet?)

whitedove
12-02-2005, 20:18
There are no words to adequately express my deep appreciation and gratitude for all your hard work and the sacrifices you make. THANK YOU!!!! You, your family, and your comrades will be in our thoughts and prayer every day. Take good care of yourself.

whitedove
12-02-2005, 20:39
No doubt! Phone cards at christmastime is a good gift easy to send...if someone knows where to send 'em no need to wait...post it! I like the adopt-a-unit idea too...we know how to make mail-drops on this board!:welcome

Here are some great troop support sites. The troops or individuals themselves post what it is they need or want, or post for their buddies. Many would like just a letter or postcard from us back here, it means alot to them.

http://booksforsoldiers.com/

http://anysoldier.com/

http://www.operationmilitarypride.org/

TDale
12-02-2005, 20:41
Via con Dios, Man.

Mongoose2
12-02-2005, 20:45
As a 20 year veteran, I know full well the sacrifices you are making.....good luck and God bless; and thank you. My children and I owe you and your comrades our freedom. Nothing is more precious!

Mongoose

Hikerhead
12-02-2005, 21:07
What?? Has Dixie stopped beating the crap out of you yet??...Just kiddin'.

That's a really great thing for you to do Rock. Good luck to you and we all will be hoping for your safe return back to the good ol' USA.

Paywau
12-02-2005, 21:23
Good Luck and Godspeed. May someone alway have your back and you be able to cover your front. God bless you and all your Company in your mission and bring you all safely back home. We thank you for your sacrifices for America's if not the World's Freedom.

Paywau

bogey
12-02-2005, 21:33

This couldn't be easier! Unless you have some specific ideas of who you want to send phone cards to, you can go to your local post office, pay for a phone card, and the post office will forward them. I haven't asked how, but since I can't keep up up with my friends over there, this seems like a darned good second option.

Ratbert
12-02-2005, 22:02
Rock,

I can't put into words the pride I feel when I see that you and all of our sons and daughters in the service are willing to put it all on the line to protect us. For us here on Whiteblaze, you are now the face of our armed forces in Iraq.

Each step I take on the trail will be for you until you get back. I figure, that way I'll be too ashamed to whine to myself about being cold, or tired, or thirsty, or hungry ... I'll think about what you must be going through and tell myself "No Snivelin'!"

We'll keep you and your family in our prayers. Stay alert, be smart and get back here safely to your family's arms. And bring our boys back safely too, okay?

Go with God.

Ratbert

neo
12-02-2005, 22:05
i am with ya in spirit honor and truth Sgt Rock,if you or your family need
anything,call me,i really mean it,615-512-6825:cool: neo
thanks again bro

Moxie00
12-02-2005, 22:25
My generation had Vietnam, today it is Iraq and there is a job to be done and a war to be won. Please stay safe, get on line when you are able to, do the best job you can and come home in one piece. Good luck and Godspeed. It would be womderful if this was the last war ever and I will pray for your safe return.

rainmaker
12-02-2005, 22:46
Please be careful and safe and let us know what you guys, and gals, need.

hopefulhiker
12-03-2005, 07:59
While you are over there doing something that I really don't understand, I will do two things:I am going to work very hard to elect representatives who will try to get us out of there in less than 60 years; I will pick up the shovel at Hard Core this year for you as well, I worked with you last year and I think it's going to take two or more people to make up for your absence. Good Luck for God's Sake!

SGT Rock
12-03-2005, 10:29
Damn, I never expected this sort of response. To be honest, I was expecting this thread to dissolve into a debate about the war again.

Thanks EVERYONE. I am getting e-mails and PMs about support for Dixicritter and the Ion Stove stuff. Packages, letters, and all in between.

Let me try to address some things:

1. I don't have a unit postal address yet - they haven't even given my unit a designation yet - we are a created unit being formed for a specific purpose. Most likely I will have one before I go.

2. Once I get there, I will find out what sort of mail service we even have, and what is available. Before I left last time there was a PX on a nearby post with all the basics of life. When I first went, a 6 pack of toilet paper was gold, but by the time I left, you could get everything you wanted and some things you didn't. I would hate for someone to pay $40 for postage to send basic items if they are easy to acquire over there. What is really a treat occasionally is Jim-ListerBeam (think about it - http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/27323/200.jpg)

3. The absolute best things I got over there were coffee (those special ones), AT books, pictures (one wall of my CP was all family and AT pictures), a calender for the ATC, and other things like that. Things that can remind you of the trail and home. My CO was kidding me yesterday that if I end up in the north I will probably form a trail crew and start an AT extension in the mountains there so I could feel more at home.

4. Dixicritter and I will talk to the boys about going to SoRuck. I figure they may want to go, and they may also not want to if I won't be there (may be more depressing for them if you think about it). Dixicritter can't hike, so I hope if they do go, a good experienced father type would be willling to "supervise" with them because they were looking forward to some of those hikes like the one from Tellico Gap back to Wesser. Personally I think it would be cool if they went and sent me pictures. I don't want them to stop hiking the trail just because I am gone.

5. Offers of support for Ion Stove are great. So I am going to be totally honest and up front about what it would take. I the family has all the skills and ability to make the stove and do the shipping. The problem is cutting titanium stands and making the simmer plate. The machine work is not difficult - I figured it out without much training. But Dixicritter's arthritis makes it hard for her to stand at a band saw for long periods of time or to hold the metal on the drill press. My son could do it, but he hasn't got the attention to detail to do it well enough for me to want to send it off to customers yet.

6. Last deployment we had a system where I sent e-mails and letter back to Dixicritter and she posted them on Hiking HQ. I will send back what is going on without any sort of filter - good, bad, and indifferent. The only thing you won't see is classified info. If you are interested, just watch over there and you may eventually catch something.

Skyline
12-03-2005, 10:48
Stay safe, and remember that no matter what some of us say about the war in Iraq or the leaders who put our nation there--we have the utmost concern and respect for you and people like you who are in harm's way.

Mouse
12-03-2005, 11:06
Good luck and I hope you and all your unit return safely!

Saluki Dave
12-03-2005, 11:27
The Sergeant is the Army.

Gen Dwight David Eisenhower

illusionistG
12-03-2005, 12:43
Sgt. Rock....I'm fairly new to Whiteblaze and have not had the chance to share trail talk with you, but appreciate all the input you add/share so other hikers can benefit. Best of luck on your tour. I myself leave for there 29 Dec. As my whiteblaze name indicates I'm with the element that you never see us but only the result (we were there but you never knew it). If in Camp Liberty, Slayer, Prosperity, Independence, or Al Al Asad and you see a 6'4" person wearing a Boston Red Sox hat yell out "Big Kahuna or BK" (my call sign). Then we can share some "trail talk" while in theater. I'm originally from NH and when my mission is finished I plan to take an enjoyable walk home to New England in 07.

Stop the threat, sweep the area, get off the X. Live another day...for the AT !!!!

Sorry, I only snivel when my sinuses run

Sly
12-03-2005, 12:53
Stay safe IllusionistG!

art to linda
12-03-2005, 13:07
Be safe over there, you'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many of us..... you'll be missed here by all and we will be waiting to hear from you via Dixicritter.

TOW
12-03-2005, 14:26
sgt. rock, what in the world are you apologizing for? is this your choice or are you doing your duty? it pains us as well when we have to be away from those we dearly care for and love. hang in there, keep you heart focused on the right light. come back as soon as possible and keep us updated when you can get to computer......

dperry
12-03-2005, 15:29
Lord guide you and keep you. Thank you for being there for the rest of us. Stay safe.

Stumblefoot
12-03-2005, 21:45
Sgt. I appreciate your service to our country. It's not easy to leave your family and put yourself in harm's way but it takes a real man to do it. That's you, Rock - a real man. Stay safe and we will keep you in our prayers.

SGT Rock
12-03-2005, 22:59
Sgt. Rock....I'm fairly new to Whiteblaze and have not had the chance to share trail talk with you, but appreciate all the input you add/share so other hikers can benefit. Best of luck on your tour. I myself leave for there 29 Dec. As my whiteblaze name indicates I'm with the element that you never see us but only the result (we were there but you never knew it). If in Camp Liberty, Slayer, Prosperity, Independence, or Al Al Asad and you see a 6'4" person wearing a Boston Red Sox hat yell out "Big Kahuna or BK" (my call sign). Then we can share some "trail talk" while in theater. I'm originally from NH and when my mission is finished I plan to take an enjoyable walk home to New England in 07.

Stop the threat, sweep the area, get off the X. Live another day...for the AT !!!!

Sorry, I only snivel when my sinuses run

I'll keep an eye out illusionistG. I think once I establish a CP, I will put a WhiteBlaze on the door. Any AT hiker will know it on site.

warren doyle
12-04-2005, 00:38
I support those who passionately feel that war is not an answer to solve a problem - that an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
I support the consientious objectors, the folks who do alternative service, and the folks who emigrate from our country because of its combative, greedy and violent foreign policy.
I support the people who refuse to fight other people's wars: "It is a rich man's war but a poor man's fight."
I truly do hope that someday the following will be true - "What if they wanted/started a war and no one came."

rickb
12-04-2005, 01:06
Sgt Rock Said:

Damn, I never expected this sort of response. To be honest, I was expecting this thread to dissolve into a debate about the war again.

There's still time for that ;-).

But I hope everyone who respects you will make their comments in that regard over in the politics forum. Those not signed up for those discussions need to visit the UserCP.

The discussion is lively, and many diverse points of view are presented. This is a different kind of thread. 'Nuff said, I hope.

Krewzer
12-04-2005, 01:15
Stay safe Sarge. We'll tie a yellow ribbon above a white blaze for you.

Good luck, hurry home.

ffstenger
12-04-2005, 07:26
Be safe Sarge. We will most certainly miss you here on WB while you are gone. I take care of Veterans here at the VA hospital where I work, and
I would rather see you out on the trail, rather than on my ward......
Hope all goes well. :sun Showme

kncats
12-04-2005, 09:03
Rock,

May Fair Winds and Following Seas be yours. Good luck in your mission.

kncats
USN (Retired)

TAMBOURINE
12-04-2005, 10:14
My hubby was Amry also .God bless you and God speed .If there is anything the MRS. needs please tell her we are all here for her Our thoughts are with both of you .

Frosty
12-04-2005, 11:05
I don't want to say too much about what I am doingWhatever the mission, we know we can count on Sgt Rock and the Combat Happy Joes of Easy Company!

Seriously, as one who has been there (Vietnam) I understand the combination of anticipation, dread, eagerness and reluctance. Godspeed.

Tha Wookie
12-04-2005, 12:21
I support those who passionately feel that war is not an answer to solve a problem - that an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
I support the consientious objectors, the folks who do alternative service, and the folks who emigrate from our country because of its combative, greedy and violent foreign policy.
I support the people who refuse to fight other people's wars: "It is a rich man's war but a poor man's fight."
I truly do hope that someday the following will be true - "What if they wanted/started a war and no one came."

I agree with you, but I also support those who go and do their job -regardless of how screwed the war policy may be (just as I support those who don't).

I wouldn't fight this war, but I surely support those who do. It's not all they do for us by any means.

Hopefully we can bring them home all soon and send georgy, dick, donald, and condi over there with rifles for relief.

Tin Man
12-04-2005, 13:07
I really don't want to get into a war discussion, but I thought I would state what I hope is the obvious:

An orderly exit can give the Iraqi people a chance for freedom and show that our boys did not die in vain. I fear how many more sacrificies will be made before that happens. There are no easy answers.

I respect that SGT Rock will be working to bring our troops home sooner. I suspect the process could be speeded up a little more if our Commander In Chief and Secretary of Defense spent a tour of duty in Iraq. Bring our troops home in one piece Rock!

Panzer1
12-04-2005, 15:11
“No ba$tard ever won a war dying for his country. You win a war by making the other poor dumb ba$tard die for his country.”
General George Patton

Panzer
(The time for talking is over, Kill them by the bushel)

Jack Tarlin
12-04-2005, 16:29
Rick B. was 100 per cent right.....we talk a lot of politics here at Whiteblaze, but this is decidely NOT the appropriate place or time for such a dialogue..

Rock... we missed you this weekend in Hanover, and your name come up frequently.

Be well, let us know how you're getting along, and we'll see you soon.

Tin Man
12-04-2005, 16:52
Rick B. was 100 per cent right.....we talk a lot of politics here at Whiteblaze, but this is decidely NOT the appropriate place or time for such a dialogue..

Rock... we missed you this weekend in Hanover, and your name come up frequently.

Be well, let us know how you're getting along, and we'll see you soon.

:datz I don't know what I was thinking. Serious brain fart on my part. :datz My humblest apologies to all... especially Rock and all past, present, and future service men and women. :datz

One Leg
12-04-2005, 17:51

Warren:

Geez man, why don't you just walk on over to Rock and slap the man in the face?

Rock's one of us. He's about to go into the unknown here, and all you can do is use this as your proverbial soapbox to tout your unsolicited rants. What's next? You against using taxpayer money to bring them back home? What is your idea, to have them ford the Atlantic?

It's only natural that you oppose the war..... War costs money, and we all know that spending money is something that you're deathly afraid of........

Rock:

I am gonna miss you man...... Please come back safe.. Thank you for the sacrifices you're making. I, for one, appreciate them.

Scott

saimyoji
12-04-2005, 18:00
Rock,

There will be another thread just like this when you actually deploy in a few months, so I'll hold my godbless, kick ass, come home safe wishes till then. :p

In the meantime, good luck with your training. Not a military man myself I don't know what you all do, but I'm sure glad your doing it! :D

Sly
12-04-2005, 18:16
Warren:

Geez man, why don't you just walk on over to Rock and slap the man in the face?

Rock's one of us.

Yeah, but is Warren?

I sure Warren believes what he says but, he's probably still a little peeved that Rock closed his thread down. Seems exceedingly trite, considering the extreme sacrifices and danger, Rock is exposing himself to in order to help bring the troops back home sooner.

saimyoji
12-04-2005, 18:35
HEY!!

See Jack's post #125. Have a little respect. :o

Time and place for everything.

tiamalle
12-04-2005, 21:22
Sarge,

Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said by our fellow whiteblazers. But my all means stay safe, have a successful mission, and know you and all of our troops are in our prayers. THANK YOU for your service to this community and to our country!!!! Give the wife and kids a big ole hug and kiss for us -- we all know they are giving as much as you, just in a different manner. If the wife needs anything at all she knows where / how to find us. Just make sure she doesn't hesistate to ask for the help. Goodness knows we all will come out of the woods to help her out. Might I suggest you print this post out and show it to your comrades during your tour? Everything mentioned in this post goes for each and every member of our forces.
Godspeed to ya buddy!Thanks Sarge:D

A-Train
12-04-2005, 21:32
Rock,

Thanks for all you do here for the WB community, as well as your military service.

Anyone who knows me or has read my posts in the past knows I'm generally not for war, and I certainly don't support this one, but I do admire your service and bravery. I´ve also recieved a very different perspective living in basically a 3rd world country for the past 3 months. It's convenient to talk poorly of the U.S. but there is a lot I'm now thankful for.

siouxdog
12-04-2005, 22:17
God bless you for serving. returnly safely and proud.

WalkinHome
12-04-2005, 22:19
Hey Top,

Keep your head down and remember that incoming fire has the right of way. Best of luck to you and your soldiers. See you on the high ground.

Frosty
12-05-2005, 00:47
HEY!!

See Jack's post #125. Have a little respect. :o

Time and place for everything.Exactly, Saimyoji. Worth repeating.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-05-2005, 11:32
While I have serious misgivings about this war, I support the men and women who are there 100%. Rock, thank you for being willing to go and please take good care of yourself while there. As you know, we live in the same town. If there is anything we can do to help your family while you are in Iraq, don't hesitate to ask. You will be in my prayers.

Ender
12-05-2005, 12:15
Stay safe Rock. Come back happy, healthy and whole!

Nean
12-05-2005, 12:27
.....ditto

Jester2000
12-05-2005, 16:24
Rock --
Just found out about this from Jack. I am filled with dread every time someone I know is over there. I will think of you often and keep you and your family in my prayers. Thank you for your service and let those you meet and work with that they have our respect and gratitude.

Keep your head on a swivel and get back here safe.

Tim Rich
12-05-2005, 19:30
(unbelievably petty, sniveling content snipped)

One of the best threads, as to unity of spirit and goodwill, continues unabated despite an attempt to piss on the campfire. Cool. WARren, you must have just dribbled because there was no sizzle from your whizzle. Perhaps some prostate meds are in order, old man.

Take Care,

Tim

smokymtnsteve
12-05-2005, 19:33
yep..even if we disagree...we still love and respect him.

Take care Rock and Hurry Home!

stickman
12-05-2005, 22:21
Sarge, best of luck over there and stay safe. I have enormous respect for you and all the men and women in uniform. As I told you before, I did a tour in Vietnam in 71-72 and my son is now in the 82nd Airborne and headed to Iraq mid-2006.

I didn't read all the replys to your post, so sorry if someone else already had this idea, but when you get there, let us know where to send mail. I bet the guys in your hooch would appreciate an occasional care package from the States. Let us know what you need as well as your address, and we'll send some things along.

Take care and don't worry over the politics here in the States. Just do the job and come home.

Stickman

SGT Rock
12-06-2005, 20:33
Hey, thanks again y'all. I honestly don't care if anyone supports the war or not, I am probably one of th bigger critics of many things done so far in this. It is just that I want this to end in a way that my sons are not going back 12 years from now. And I also want it to happen in a way that gets us out as quickly as humanly possible. I ain't planning to be John Wayne, just the guy that does the hard work every day to get it done.

I've been getting poked and prodded today, got some new shots and started getting brifings about laws of war (again). About half the team here has been there at least once, it just supprises me how many of the guys up here at the senior officer and NCO level haven't been yet almost three years into it.

Nightwalker
12-06-2005, 21:43
But not the man who fights because he believes that it's what he must do, right?

Gotcha, WD. Nice hijack.

Rainman
12-06-2005, 22:14
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap>The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
In the ranks of death you'll find him;
His father's sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him;
"Land of Song!" cried the warrior bard,
"Tho' all the world betrays thee,
One sword, at least, thy right shall guard,
One faithful harp shall praise thee!"

The Minstrel fell! But the foeman's steel
Could not bring that proud soul under;
The harp he lov'd ne'er spoke again,
For he tore its chords asunder;
And said "No chains shall sully thee,
Thou soul of love and brav'ry!
Thy songs were made for the pure and free
They shall never sound in slavery!

US Civil War verse

The minstrel boy will return, we pray,
When we hear the news we all will cheer it.
The minstrel boy will return one day,
Torn perhaps in body, not in spirit.
Then may he play on his harp in peace,
In a world such as Heaven has intended,
For all the bitterness of man must cease,
And every battle must be ended

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sir Thomas Moore, 1779-1852

God Bless You Rock!

Skidsteer
12-06-2005, 22:16

Oops? Bad form, inappropriate, ill-considered and at least slightly off the point of the thread, man.

Waterbuffalo
12-07-2005, 19:22
Sgt Rock thanks for all your doing over there your in our prayers

digger51
12-08-2005, 21:33
Sgt Rock, thanks for your service. You will be in my prayers. My youngest finishes basic next week and will probably be over there soon. If you see a redhead kid acting stupid, kick his butt and tell him you will tell his dad on him. God bless you fella.

Perkolady
12-08-2005, 23:24
Sgt Rock, thank you sooooo much for all you do for us ! You will be in my family's prayers. Your family will be as well..... we appreciate their sacrifice also! (I may add Troll to the prayer list while we're at it- his hands will be quite full, I'm sure! LOL ) God bless you and the success of your mission!

Perkolady

Olive Drab
12-08-2005, 23:52
Rock,
Good luck brother. I still have a few connections in IZ depending on what AO you are in.

Trail Dog
12-09-2005, 02:02
wow a second tour so soon.

Good luck. I'll be around till March then we rotate home, let me know where you end up, we're in Anbar but may leave a third time for a new FOB.

I'm not sure if it was allowed when you were here last time but everyone has internet connections via satilites now. You could still maintain contact on a daily basis in your little free time, even help ATtroll maintain the site. Just drop me a line if you want my POC in Baghdad he's a good guy. He has 2MB down 512 up and up to 29 IP address, its really worth it. I talk to the wife all the time before i rack out oin the computer via Skype or PC Phone for nothing extra.

Stay safe I know you'll be fine.

icemanat95
12-09-2005, 10:03
May the Lord of Hosts watch over you and send his archangel Michael, the patron of warriors, to guard and guide you so that you may dispatch your duty with integrity and honor in a manner worthy of Him and return safe and sound to your homes and family, having enriched the world through your efforts.

Patrick
12-09-2005, 15:52
Sgt Rock,

Thanks for all your hard work here and all your hard work over there. We'll definitely be lifting a pint or three for you.

ATTroll,

Anything we can do to help out with the site?

wacocelt
12-09-2005, 16:02
Rock, I enjoyed meeting you this past hiking season and look forward to seeing you again. Be strong, be safe, be well.

SGT Rock
12-10-2005, 10:29
wow a second tour so soon.

Good luck. I'll be around till March then we rotate home, let me know where you end up, we're in Anbar but may leave a third time for a new FOB.

I'm not sure if it was allowed when you were here last time but everyone has internet connections via satilites now. You could still maintain contact on a daily basis in your little free time, even help ATtroll maintain the site. Just drop me a line if you want my POC in Baghdad he's a good guy. He has 2MB down 512 up and up to 29 IP address, its really worth it. I talk to the wife all the time before i rack out oin the computer via Skype or PC Phone for nothing extra.

Stay safe I know you'll be fine.
So soon, I got back 18 months ago - I've been shamming out while people are already hitting deployment #2 & #3. My turn just came LOL!

When I left, all the FOBs had internet, even some units were setting up their own satellite system with a router and open systems for personal use. The problem I am running into is we are being told that the SPTTs don't all live on FOBs. I will be the ops NCO for my SPTT division HQ, so I assume I may be able to at lest get a SIPER connection somehow at times, but no one can tell me what our lives will really be like on these teams yet.

I sort of hope I'll end up in Baghdad again, maybe we can have our HQ out of Muleskinner or someplace around that area. I know they were doing ICDC training there in 2004. I dread getting sent to the Green Zone, and I'm ambivalent about being on BIAP. But there is a possibility we could be anywhere, my old CO is in Basra and I hear they have a HQ around Tikrit. My dream would be to end up in the Kurdish area in the mountains :D

But if I get in Baghdad, I think it would be a good idea to get that contact number from you so I can get us a system set up for the soldiers. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Also, my PM inbox got full, and a couple of people tried to IM me. I just cleanerd it up some, so if someone out there was trying to IM me, it is fixed.

Sly
12-11-2005, 01:16
Hey, how about a acronym translator! ;)

Catsgoing
12-11-2005, 02:06
Thank you for Serving Our Country
I am so scared for everyone in Iraq. And most countries over there. Please bring home Our Troops and You! Safely.........
You have no clue who I am. I read a lot of your posts on here...

``````I will light candles and send energy and spirital love to you and your famliy and troops..

Trail Dog
12-11-2005, 02:19
hey sly,

i will see if my unit has any AT's on the MTOWs if not i guess your SOL, but maybe i can hook you up with a nice list when i get my EML. sound good? I really need to get off the NIPER before my CO goes kicks my ass. ETS here i come!

Hey Top,

if you rotate in anytime around when we leave i can easily pass off the dish much cheaper than you could get it brand new. I suggest you get one used just make sure its all in working condition. Our system uses a reciever and two switches but we plan to hook up a router due to peer to peer programs messing up the connection and ads and spyware kicking our ass.

Maybe its cause i am national guard but comming back here in 18 months would make me crazy. Good luck with going to the mountians in the north i was praying for the EXACT thing before we recieved our mission. As for me my time in the NG is up and i plan to get out before my plane goes wheels down in the US. With contract extentions and the disorder and double standards of the national guard I cant imagine doing any more time with them.

As usual let me know if you need anything. I do support you and the mission 100 percent., good luck and if you get a similar system for internet as i have i will be sure to give you all the ins and outs of managing the crazyness of a sat connection. Let me know when your ADVON arrives and i will do anything i can to get them our dish before we leave.

Sly
12-11-2005, 09:43
hey sly,
i will see if my unit has any AT's on the MTOWs if not i guess your SOL, but maybe i can hook you up with a nice list when i get my EML. sound good? I really need to get off the NIPER before my CO goes kicks my ass. ETS here i come!

Roger that good buddy, or RTGB for us in the know!

SGT Rock
12-11-2005, 10:53
Hey, how about a acronym translator! ;)

LOL = Laugh Out Loud (you probably know that one ;))

FOB = Forward Operating Base - what was known as a Fire Base in Vietnam. These are our home towns in theater. My old FOB was a cigarette factory we nicknamed Marlboro. It is history as we turned it over to the Iraqi government when we left so the smokers of Iraq could have some home made.

SPTT = Special Police Transition Teams. The Iraqi police is sort of a quasi military branch of the Iraqi police. Sort of like a SWAT team. They are the ones in Iraq that are doing a large part of the counter insurgency fights and taking over that part of the operation so American soldiers can get out of the business.

ops NCO = Operations Noncommissioned Officer. The head worker bee in charge of the moving parts of an operation.

division HQ = an American Division like the 1st Cav or 101st Airborne is about 40,000 troops. The HQ is the Headquarters of that element. My "division" will only have a couple of hundred, but we operate with an Iraqi division.

SIPER = I don't know what the acronym means, but it is the military "Internet" where secret information is found.

Muleskinner = a FOB in southeast Baghdad. It was named Muleskinner because the support squadron of the 2d ACR made it's base there and the squadron's nickname is the Muleskinners which is the traditional cavalry name for the guys that drove the wagon teams. Since the support squadron is the modern version of the muleskinner, they got that nickname. Last I heard, camp Muleskinner is still there and still had that name.

ICDC = Iraqi Civil Defense Corps. There really isn't an American version of this. It is a military organization that lives and works on internal issues. They are like citizen soldiers that work on police like issues - again like a SWAT except these guys do missions every day like patrols, raids, check points, etc. Another form of Iraqi unit that is taking certain missions away from the US.

Green Zone = Where the civilian mucked-muck jerk offs live in Iraq. This was Saddam's old palace district. When Baghdad was taken over, the civilian authority (I don't remember the old acronym) moved in there. The eventually became the OCPA (Office of the Coalition Provisional Authority, but we called them the Office that Can't Produce Anything) and declared that area a safe area or "Green Zone". When we heard this we knew they would become a **** magnet - which they promptly did. Anyway, in the beginning this is where all the young republican grad students that were going to implement everything they learned at college to make Iraq into America lived and played racket ball in air conditioning while eating catered food while some poor grunts got to stand around the perimeter in the hot sun eating MREs to make the "Green Zone" green. Go in there to see one of these guys and see how the privileged lived while you were scrounging to get water and hear how you are going to fix something from a guy that won't leave his security to go see how things actually are on the outside because it is "too dangerous" - usually ending up in some dumb-ass plan that had no basis in reality and did nothing but piss off the locals who wonder what idiot came up with that idea. A lot of the time you hear about a car bomb in Baghdad it was around the green zone somewhere. Now this is where the new Iraqi government is setting up shop and where Saddam is on trial. This was also the area where the reporters set up in their four star hotels and did ****ty reporting from the rooftop between gourmet food and disco dancing at the bar, If you see one of these reporters on the TV, it makes you want to puke when they talk about how rough their job was. Enough of that...

BIAP = Baghdad International Air Port. One of the Super FOBs. BIAP was the first place to get a real PX, a Burger King, and other cool stuff like that. It is the size of a small town and there would be lots of services like Internet readily available without even worrying about that. On the other hand I absolutely hated BIAP when I was there. It was becoming too much like a garrison post in the states IMO and we were still fighting outside the wire. This was also where the big IED road was - on the way into the place from where my FOB was.

IED = Improvised Explosive Device. Some great new buzzword for homemade bomb.

VBIED = a vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device which is a new word for Car Bomb.

CO = commanding officer. You can have a CO at many levels in the Chain of Command, but in this case it was my Captain in charge of my troop. This guy lived and breathed training Iraqi Police so he is defiantly the right man for the job. Poor guy only got about 13 months home and had just moved to a new assignment and got his family in a house about two weeks before he left them for Basra.

PM = Private Messages. (you probably know that one ;))

IM = Instant Message (you probably know that one too ;))

bogey
12-11-2005, 11:15
SIPER = I don't know what the acronym means, but it is the military "Internet" where secret information is found.

Actually "SIPR" pronounced "sipper" stands for Secure Internet Protocol.
Like you said, it's the Secret level network.

internet resides on NIPR or "Non-secure Internet Protocol" read like "nipper"

Sly
12-11-2005, 13:27
Thanks Rock.

Just Jeff
12-11-2005, 13:39
Actually "SIPR" pronounced "sipper" stands for Secure Internet Protocol.

I know it's splitting hairs, but the "R" actually stands for Router. SIPR is short for SIPRNET - Secure Internet Protocol Router Network.

gumby
12-11-2005, 14:49
Now don't forget this one CMACYOYO (kim-ak-yoyo) Kiss My A** Colonel You're On Your Own.

And the one they used to used on M*A*S*H - SNAFU = Situation Normal All ******ed-up.:jump

Nightwalker
12-11-2005, 15:01
BIAP = Baghdad International Air Port
Sounds more like a burp...

BIAAAPPPP! Good Christmas dinner!

Just Jeff
12-11-2005, 15:53
We used to have a kid whose nickname was FUBAR - F'd Up Beyond All Repair. He was pretty proud of that name.

One time he said, "I try to grow my hair out, but it just keeps getting cut." Like it was some accident he showed up in the barber chair or something.

bogey
12-11-2005, 16:39
I know it's splitting hairs, but the "R" actually stands for Router. SIPR is short for SIPRNET - Secure Internet Protocol Router Network.:datzRouter, THAT'S what I forgot!

SGT Rock
12-11-2005, 18:44
Don't forget BOHICA - Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

Nightwalker
12-12-2005, 01:06
Don't forget BOHICA - Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.
Yeah, and I'll bet that you're far from the "Last of the Bohicans", eh? Weird movie...

Mags
12-12-2005, 12:00
In the computer field we have many acronyms as well.

After reading your list, think you may appreciate this defintion:

ATM = All-together Too Much!

:)

Do you plan on updating your web site with journals like your last deployment?

Most of us, regardless of our political views, just want the soliders to be safe and come back home. The biggest difference between this war and Vietnamn is that the politics of the war and the support of the soldiers can be seperated. Seems regardless how people feel about the war, most people are pulling the soldiers themselves. That's a good thing!

Trail Yeti
12-12-2005, 13:01
Rock,
watch your six, keep your powder dry, I'll be thinking about you. Oh and remember, if you get in trouble, you can always call the Marines to help you out!
Yeti

Jaybird
12-12-2005, 14:02
To all WhiteBlazers,I want to make sure everyone here knows I am doing it again. I am leaving to go to Iraq again. I just found this out for sure today.I won’t be leaving right away, this time I am getting about a month to get myself ready and spend time with my family.......etc,etc,etc,.................Anyway, thanks for listening. Good luck planning your hike.

Keep your head down, Rock!:D

SGT Rock
12-12-2005, 15:33

That is the plan.

dixicritter
12-12-2005, 19:25

As long as he gets me info that is postable then I'm planning on posting just like last time! :)

Mags
12-13-2005, 14:25
As long as he gets me info that is postable then I'm planning on posting just like last time! :)

Cool beans! We'd like to know how the Sgt is doing over there!

Mini-Mosey
12-29-2005, 14:39
This is my first visit here in over a month, so I'm late with this....God bless and keep you and your family. You have my utmost respect.

SGT Rock
01-02-2006, 12:13
I haven't logged in for a while. I've been traveling to visit family before I head out for training. Some folks have asked about my status since there have been some recent announcements of troop rotation changes:

On or about 6,7, or 8 January I go to Ft Knox, KY for final outprocessing from this unit.

On 9 January parts of my team and I fly to Ft Hood, TX to begin training. Training lasts about 40 days. During this time I don't know how much free time I will have - not much I am guessing.

Sometime around the end of Febuary (the date is classified) we fly to Kuwait. Once there we have about 2 weeks of theater immersion training to get us up on the latest tactics being uses. This is when my one year starts.

After that we move up to Taji for SPTT specific training. I have no idea how long that will be.

Finally we move into our area - not specified yet, and begin working with the unit we replace for a period of a few weeks so they can show us around the area.

Thanks again for everything y'all. So many whiteblazers have offered various types of support for my family. Mowgli sent me a tactical headlamp he found on the trail, Model T wrote a very nice note in the front of his new book he sent, One Leg came by and gave me his 2000 miler rocker to hold onto while I am there for luck, and I ended up getting a Zen Nano Plus off the recomendations of the whiteblazers who know MP3.

I have a few loose ends I am tying up around the house now - I've cleaned up the garage and storage area, made sure we have lots of fire wood, and I think I will have Ion Stoves set on a path where Dixicritter can keep them going while I am gone and even improved the stand in the proccess.

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope you all had a great Christmass and New Year!

TrailSweeper
01-02-2006, 12:19
Good Luck and stay safe.:)

orangebug
01-02-2006, 16:58
Good fortune for you and your partners in arms. I am certain that you will be a credit to our country and hope your mission is accomplished early and easily.

Rain Man
01-02-2006, 19:35
SGT Rock. Take care. We will miss you on WhiteBlaze while you're gone.

Thanks for your service to our Nation.

Sly
01-02-2006, 23:53
Take care SGT, be safe!

Wonder
01-02-2006, 23:56
Good luck, and thanks for helping to get my friends home quicker. I really mean that..........you are in my prayers

Heater
01-03-2006, 00:47
On 9 January parts of my team and I fly to Ft Hood, TX to begin training. Training lasts about 40 days. During this time I don't know how much free time I will have - not much I am guessing.

You are gonna be in my area. If you get some time off while you are here, PM me. If I don't meet you then I'll meet ya later. Be Safe.

Thanks for doing all you do.

Austexs.

:sun

SGT Rock
01-29-2006, 11:34
Howdy all,

Just a quick update from Central Texas - North Fort Hood. I've been here for three weeks now getting ready, looks like I have about three left before we leave (give or take a few days). It has been very busy as we continue to put this team together and get our stuff issued while we complete pre-deployment training.

Everything is going well, in a briefing we got from some of the people we are going to replace, the living conditions of the soldiers look to be way above the living standards I experienced over there the last trip. I will be on FOB Justice which is only a couple of miles north west of my old sector from my last tour. At least I somewhat know the area even if it isn't the best place in Baghdad to put a FOB.

Our equipment issue has been somewhat unhinged, I came here with only two sets of BDUs because we were told we would be getting our deployment issue of uniforms on day three, but three weeks later I am still using the same two sets and they are deteriorating. It wouldn't be such an issue if we weren't laying in the mud at machinegun ranges. Of the stuff we have recived it is nice to see the Army continues to learn - I have a new set of good fleece and silkweight polartec underwear as well as wicking t-shirts. The socks still suck - I need to get some Thorlos.

Hopefully I can jump on here later and give you guys more updates before I leave out. Keep on putting in the trail miles and good luck to the class of 2006!

Skidsteer
01-29-2006, 11:47
Great to hear from you, Sarge! Good luck and keep us up to date when you can.:)

neo
01-29-2006, 12:43
Howdy all,

Just a quick update from Central Texas - North Fort Hood. I've been here for three weeks now getting ready, looks like I have about three left before we leave (give or take a few days). It has been very busy as we continue to put this team together and get our stuff issued while we complete pre-deployment training.

Everything is going well, in a briefing we got from some of the people we are going to replace, the living conditions of the soldiers look to be way above the living standards I experienced over there the last trip. I will be on FOB Justice which is only a couple of miles north west of my old sector from my last tour. At least I somewhat know the area even if it isn't the best place in Baghdad to put a FOB.

Our equipment issue has been somewhat unhinged, I came here with only two sets of BDUs because we were told we would be getting our deployment issue of uniforms on day three, but three weeks later I am still using the same two sets and they are deteriorating. It wouldn't be such an issue if we weren't laying in the mud at machinegun ranges. Of the stuff we have recived it is nice to see the Army continues to learn - I have a new set of good fleece and silkweight polartec underwear as well as wicking t-shirts. The socks still suck - I need to get some Thorlos.

Hopefully I can jump on here later and give you guys more updates before I leave out. Keep on putting in the trail miles and good luck to the class of 2006!

God bless you Sgt Rock,i am looking forward to meeting you someday:cool: neo

Spartan Hiker
01-29-2006, 14:53
1SG, let me know if you need any help getting things done (ie...Clothing Sales) while you're still here. I work on Main Post. NFH is a ways off as you know. Getting to/from Main Post while you're prepping for deployment can be tricky, at best. PM me if you have any specific needs for you and your soldiers and I'll try and assist.

Spartan

TJ aka Teej
01-29-2006, 15:40
It has been very busy as we continue to put this team together and get our stuff issued while we complete pre-deployment training.

Thanks for the update Rock. I'm sure you know that we're all proud of and thankful for your service.

MOWGLI
01-29-2006, 15:52
Hey Sarge. Your name came up yesterday at a meeting about 100 yards from the Benton MacKaye Trail. You are missed by the hiking community in many ways. Stay safe!

Mags
01-29-2006, 17:54
Best of luck Sarge!

As time permits (something in short quanity I am sure!) please keep us posted.

Rain Man
01-29-2006, 21:31
SGT Rock, thanks for the update. We all love hearing how you're doing.

Keep your head down and your butt out of trouble.

snarbles
01-29-2006, 23:51
One things for sure. You can almost always trust SGT Rock for great gear and technical advise. Good luck and be safe.

greentick
01-30-2006, 00:15
Rock, Got your mouthwash waiting. Need an APO.

Check out Psalm 91 if it strikes you. Was part of my mission prep.

Greentick out.

River Runner
01-30-2006, 00:19
SGT Rock, I am pretty new to this site, but I want to say thank you for your service in keeping this country free and great.

I've enjoyed your website - it's one I consulted frequently when I decided to try hammock camping. God bless you and keep you.

Sly
01-30-2006, 00:29
Our equipment issue has been somewhat unhinged, I came here with only two sets of BDUs because we were told we would be getting our deployment issue of uniforms on day three, but three weeks later I am still using the same two sets

Unbelievable. With the cost of the war as it is, I can't believe they can't get you uniforms. Rock, I hope they'll treat you right once you get over there. If you need anything we can provide just let us know.

warren doyle
01-30-2006, 00:58
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

In honor of Ron Kovic.

mnof1000v
01-30-2006, 02:22
I've never been big supporter of this war. However, I have ALWAYS been a big supporter of the brave men and women who are fighting it.

I wish you the best of luck and a safe return. God bless.

Tha Wookie
01-30-2006, 09:07
I've never been big supporter of this war. However, I have ALWAYS been a big supporter of the brave men and women who are fighting it.

I wish you the best of luck and a safe return. God bless.

I second the notion -see you on the trail soon, Rock!

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2006, 19:36
Rock: Best of luck, God Bless, and come home safe with all your guys!

(Note: To anyone who wishes to make a political statement about past, present, or future conflicts, this is DECIDEDLY NOT the place for it. This is instead a chance to say thanks, good-bye, and good luck to a friend. If you can't respect Rock and his collegues enough to confine your comments to this simple objective, please have enough respect to express your thoughts somewhere else.)

rumbler
01-30-2006, 19:39
Good fortune with the task at hand, keep your gear wired and come home safe. Thanks!

Footslogger
01-30-2006, 19:40
...from one old soldier to another,

HOOAH !!

'Slogger

Tha Wookie
01-30-2006, 19:44
(Note: To anyone who wishes to make a political statement about past, present, or future conflicts, this is DECIDEDLY NOT the place for it. This is instead a chance to say thanks, good-bye, and good luck to a friend. If you can't respect Rock and his collegues enough to confine your comments to this simple objective, please have enough respect to express your thoughts somewhere else.)

Thanks for laying out your rules for everyone once again, Jack.

However, I think it would it be a shame to restrict someone to excercise the rights that Rock and my brother Phillip are assigned to defend.

Especially when it's not your call.

Did it occur to you that someone could voice their political opinion in support of sending our men to combat? Is that illegal as well by your decree?

Just Jeff
01-30-2006, 19:49
Holy whoever please don't do this here, guys.

(Not a law, just a polite request.)

Skidsteer
01-30-2006, 19:49
Thanks for laying out your rules for everyone once again, Jack.

However, I think it would it be a shame to restrict someone to excercise the rights that Rock and my brother Phillip are assigned to defend.

Especially when it's not your call.

Did it occur to you that someone could voice their political opinion in support of sending our men to combat? Is that illegal as well by your decree?

Er... Wookie I'm not at all sure Jack was directing his comments to you. Why don't you ask him? And in the meantime, check out the posts above you.

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2006, 19:55
Calm down, Wook.

First off, I DO NOT want this thread to get sidetracked or to become yet another lame political thread, so unless something outrageous is posted, I do not intend to re-address this matter here, as that's NOT what this thread is all about.

All I'm saying is that this thread is about saying good-bye and good luck to a good friend. It is NOT the place to talk about the justice or propriety of past, present, or future conflicts, nor is it the appropriate place to sing sixties songs or invoke the names of war protestors.

I am NOT interfering with anyone's right to hold their own opinions, nor am I interfering with their right to expres them. And no, I don't want to see lengthy pro-war comments here, either. They would be equally inappropriate.

All I'm saying is that this thread is devoted to sending well-wishes to a good friend, and that's ALL it should be about.

We've argued about the war elsewhere, Wook, and many of us have expressed our feelings about it, at the appropriate place, and at the appropriate time. And that's how it should be.

This has nothing to do with my laying down rules, Wook. It's simply about respect.

I trust that future contributors to this thread will understand that.

Tha Wookie
01-30-2006, 20:26
I am NOT interfering with anyone's right to hold their own opinions, nor am I interfering with their right to expres them. And no, I don't want to see lengthy pro-war comments here, either. They would be equally inappropriate.

All I'm saying is that this thread is devoted to sending well-wishes to a good friend, and that's ALL it should be about.

I agree.

Rock knows I'm behind him. Even though I will continue to speak out to bring him, my brother, and everyone else there home as soon as possible.

And I thank Rock, my brother, and all those out there and those who have served already for protecting my right to do so.

Ain't this a great country?:D

Stay safe, Rock.

bfitz
01-30-2006, 23:01
Yeah that guy is like a child, just ignore him and hell stop...he's probably intentionally baiting you, jack....
Come back safe and soon, Rock...

neo
01-30-2006, 23:03
i am real proud of ya rock and all are men and women in uniform:cool: neo

us navy 78-82:cool: neo

the goat
01-31-2006, 00:45
kick some ass, rock!

god bless you!

FiveWay
01-31-2006, 00:58
Get it done...Sarge. I am proud of you and what you are doing. I left in 70 and returned in 72 (Marines ) and saw things that I will never forget or want to see again. But I would do it again for God and Country, right or wrong. God speed and keep your head down. As I attempt to thru hike this year, every step I take I know that you are now giving me that freedom. Thanks, FiveWay

ed bell
01-31-2006, 01:15
Thanks to Sgt. Rock and all other members of our hiking community who serve their country. I'm sure it makes the good Sgt. proud to see that the members of Whiteblaze can agree to let this thread remain on topic. We are with you and your family Sgt. Rock.:sun

lbbrown
01-31-2006, 11:22
My family and I have and will continue to pray for you and your family!

dixicritter
01-31-2006, 11:25
Since I don't know when he'll get to pop back in here, let me say thank you to everyone. We appreciate all the well wishes!

SGT Rock
02-01-2006, 18:13
Unbelievable. With the cost of the war as it is, I can't believe they can't get you uniforms. Rock, I hope they'll treat you right once you get over there. If you need anything we can provide just let us know.

The uniforms exist, it is just the unit in charge of scheduling here is like soup sandwich. They keep telling us about all these issues that prevent their scheduling from happening (there are more conflicts than just uniform issue) as if we were some group of idiots fresh off the turnip truck without thinking about the fact that about 80% of the people on my team have done the same job at other mobilization and pre-deployment training sites and done it 100 times better.

No, it is just the aggravation of knowing how things should be and working with people that have more excuses than answers.

MOWGLI
02-01-2006, 18:17
No, it is just the aggravation of knowing how things should be and working with people that have more excuses than answers.

Gee, I didn't know you worked for Verizon. I thought you were in the military. ;)

4whim
02-01-2006, 20:30
From those of us in blue,,,,you have your copy of "On Killing" by Dave Grossman with you? Hats off to u - health and happiness always,,,,,,