https://youtu.be/mMtUl0tzYrU

What do you think of this?

SteelCut
09-30-2015, 10:53
4kg is Ultra-light?? No thanks.

Slo-go'en
09-30-2015, 11:24
4kg is Ultra-light?? No thanks.

Almost 10 pounds, but it does combine pad, bag and tent into one unit and it's good to -20F. That's pretty good for that temp rating. Love the computer voice on the video.

Ladytrekker
09-30-2015, 11:26
Always fun to see how minds at work in new gear ideas. The techno voice kind of cracked me up too. I can see where used in an expedition type climate that it may be useful. My tent, bag and pad presently less than 5 lbs so not sure I would carry it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cfullerton
09-30-2015, 17:24
Way too heavy

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-01-2015, 23:51
Considering the degree ratio, for a winter trip..this might be decent. I would guess with all the pads, tents, liners, sleeping bags, etc needed for cold trips would make close to 10lbs.

Ladytrekker
10-01-2015, 23:58
Great expedition setup. My weight now for the three is less than 5 lbs and for a woman over 5 is heavy but this I think would fit extreme conditions. Just an interesting concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Venchka
10-02-2015, 08:27
This is clearly not your basic 3 season AT Thru Hike wimpy sleep system/shelter gear.
It is difficult to put together an exact duplicate from off the shelf gear, but here goes:
WM Puma MF -25°F regular bag: 3 pounds 7 ounces
Exped Downmat 9 Medium, R-8.0, -36°F: 3 pounds 3 ounces
Hilleberg Atko tent: 3 pounds 12 ounces

Total: 10 pounds 6 ounces

Personally, I think that the above off the shelf items would be better than the overgrown bivy concept in the original link.
For a few extra pounds you could substitute the Exped Downmat 7, a Puma GWS bag and a Hilleberg Black Label Nammatj 2 tent.

For true bomb shelter grade, keep you alive in serious winter conditions, this combination would be an ultralight solution.
Ultralight is a relative term.

Wayne

rafe
10-02-2015, 09:32
Kinda like comparing a Jetboil to a kitchen comprised of separate components -- burner unit, pot, bowl, windscreen, etc. Is there a benefit to integrating the whole mess? Interesting concept but certainly overkill for typical AT hikes.