PDA

View Full Version : Stoveless cooking and commercial products

LAZ
09-30-2015, 18:07
I rarely eat hot food, making coffee and icing it, even in the winter, preparing food for the week and rarely re-heating it before eating. So stoveless hiking appeals to me. I've been reading ideas for this, but what I haven't seen much of is which dried foods can be re-hydrated with cold water and taste good. Harmony House talks about their veggies which can be done this way, but that's about it. I'm more interested in what can be done with readily available items. Like, Ramen, which comes out great made cold. So well I've been making them this way at home - an instant bag lunch - toss ramen into a screw-top container with flavor packet cover with water, and toss into my bag and it makes a great meal for later. Even better, make them with a half packet of instant miso soup. Instant mashed potatoes also reconstitute well with cold water. Pasta does not. Bulgar is already known to be prepared well with cold water, And couscous seems to be working well for people. but that's all I know. Does anyone have tcexperience with other commercial products? I was wondering about instant grits and oatmeal, but don't want to buy them if someone has already figured out that they don't work. How about instant rice? What about the rice sides that people are using cooked? What about other instant soups?

Venchka
09-30-2015, 18:32
LOTS OF STOVELESS THREADS AROUND. Try a search.
Now, for things that don't even need water:
Nut butters, bagels, tortillas, Kind+ bars, Boone Barrs, granola, cheese, dried fruit, tuna & chicken in foil pouches, the list goes on and on. Snickers if you must.

Wayne

garlic08
09-30-2015, 19:06
Rolled oats are a staple of mine. They are already cooked (parboiled) in processing and can be eaten out of the box. Add walnuts and raisins and you have muesli.

LAZ
10-01-2015, 09:14
Venchka, I have read lots and not seen answers to the question I asked here. If you think this is an inappropriate question, can you direct me to the posts that do answer my questions? Did I put this in the wrong place - I now see there is a place specifically for food and cooking. What's the accepted protocol - leave it or re-start the thread in the right place?