PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Dirty Girl Gaiters? Love em'!!!

Nonfiction
10-01-2015, 09:05
Hey guys, wanted to throw this video up here of a review I did on Dirty Girl Gaiters. I ended up switching to them halfway through my hike this year & absolutely fell in love with them! Super light, Durable, crazy fun patterns, & best of all they are made right here in the USA! Let me know what you think!

<strong>
https://youtu.be/h3GgbkP2ImM

Check out my other Videos on YouTube & Subscribe to my Channel!

Happy Trail,
Darwin

nsherry61
10-01-2015, 09:45
I use Dirty Girl gaiters a lot, and I like them. I hate getting crap in my shoes and socks. That being said, both pairs of mine are pretty badly shredded because, they are light and simple, BUT, they are NOT durable in any kind off-trail brushy or rocky situation. If I could bring myself to stay on the trail all they time, they'd probably last many seasons. As it is, I would like to find a similar, but slightly more durable gaiter. Sadly, all the alternative ultra-light gators I've tried and/or owned don't fit and work as well.

q-tip
10-01-2015, 10:12
+++ use every day.....

slbirdnerd
10-01-2015, 12:32
Yep, love mine. Even my grumpy kid admits his were great. Have done a couple day hikes without them and regretted it...

hikernutcasey
10-01-2015, 13:19
Same here...recently purchased my first pair and love them. Simple and effective, not to mention very reasonably priced. I agree with nsherry61 that they might not be the most durable piece of gear I own but even if they only last a couple years it won't hurt your wallet too much to get a new pair.

SteelCut
10-01-2015, 13:22
I use a gaiter similar to Dirty Girl from another manufacturer and I like them. But not much choice on size nor color so I will probably choose Dirty Girl next time I need to purchase a new set.

Snowleopard
10-01-2015, 16:59
I don't use gaiters except in winter. However, treating shoes plus DG gaiters with permethrin might help a lot with ticks/Lyme. I got some REI insect shield gaiters for this, but they're too inconvenient to bother with. I think I would use something like the Dirty Girl gaiters more often.

Emerson Bigills
10-01-2015, 19:54
I love my Dirty Girls. :)

Adds a little panache to the traditional mundane trail outfit.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-05-2015, 21:39
yep pretty cool choices

Rain Man
10-06-2015, 10:41
yep pretty cool choices

Actually, I found the choices very limiting when I looked into getting some, ... PLUS I could never get them to respond when I posted queries on their "contact us" form. Not good customer relations at all.

If you love Jackson Pollock, you will like their "choices." If you want a solid color such as blaze orange, FAIL.

saltysack
10-11-2015, 00:40
Great for JMT but got shredded quickly, so did my lasportiva wildcats...never had a need for them on the southern AT....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeezebox
10-11-2015, 03:26
If you wear boots they might not fit.

MuddyWaters
10-11-2015, 05:01
My solid black dirty girls have held up fine.

Dont leave home without them. Seeing many wearing them nowadays on AT, even though dont need there so much.

Even though i purchased my black ones from her years ago, at the time you had to know to click on a "I do not sell black" icon to order them.

She has 6 solid colors now on her much improved website.

cbr6fs
10-11-2015, 06:15
Read many good reports so thought I'd 5 them.

Found they don't ship outside the US, after a bit searching I found a shop in the UK that sold them, so ordered a pair.

Tried them over several hikes and runs and found them to be absolutely pointless.

They're not tall enough to stop gravel and stones getting into the shoe, they make my nice breathable shoe sweaty, they soak quickly and hold onto any moisture so my quick drying shoe becomes a sweaty wet block.

They're not waterproof and they don't stop stones gravel, so figured folks like them as some sort of fashion accessory.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't buy them under the illusion they actually do anything except making you shoe breath less

shakey_snake
10-11-2015, 13:33
Tried them over several hikes and runs and found them to be absolutely pointless.

They're not tall enough to stop gravel and stones getting into the shoe,
You know they don't go around your thighs, right?

saltysack
10-11-2015, 13:47
Read many good reports so thought I'd 5 them.

Found they don't ship outside the US, after a bit searching I found a shop in the UK that sold them, so ordered a pair.

They're not tall enough to stop gravel and stones getting into the shoe, they make my nice breathable shoe sweaty, they soak quickly and hold onto any moisture so my quick drying shoe becomes a sweaty wet block.

They're not waterproof and they don't stop stones gravel, so figured folks like them as some sort of fashion accessory.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't buy them under the illusion they actually do anything except making you shoe breath less

Not sure how any gravel would get passed unless incorrect size?

MuddyWaters
10-11-2015, 14:12
Well, they arent meant to stop water obviously, though a few have expected that. Just cut somewhat down on dirt and small rocks and twigs that lodge in the rim of shoe and work their way down requiring you to stop and dig them out. Primarily designed for desert/mountain ultra running in arid environment.

I find they keep the bb size pebbles out great personally, provide a little ankle protection. But again, largely not needed on moist AT soil IMO.

cbr6fs
10-11-2015, 16:34
Not sure how any gravel would get passed unless incorrect size?

When the foot/ankle is moving it creates gaps between the foot and the gaiters, this gap is large enough to allow gravel to get into the shoe.

If they were higher this would prevent this but then they would be more of a gaiter.

As i say if they don't prevent gravel or small stones getting into your shoe then what's the point?

I can understand that folks would buy them as some sort of fashion accessory, their choice.
But i think it should be made clear that they offer absolutely no functional purpose except making your running shoe less breathable and to stay damper longer if it gets wet.

redseal
10-14-2015, 20:24
I use them every now and again for trail running. I really like them with shoes that have gaiter attachments like the Altra Lone Peak 2.5. The velcro is already built into the shoe!

shakey_snake
10-14-2015, 21:18
When the foot/ankle is moving it creates gaps between the foot and the gaiters,You need a smaller size.

j_jones84
10-25-2015, 23:31
I wear them for anything longer than a day hike! I love them when going off trail, but I don't LOVE the look :P

Berserker
10-27-2015, 12:52
Have 3 pairs...they're great.

QHShowoman
10-27-2015, 15:23
When the foot/ankle is moving it creates gaps between the foot and the gaiters, this gap is large enough to allow gravel to get into the shoe.

If they were higher this would prevent this but then they would be more of a gaiter.

As i say if they don't prevent gravel or small stones getting into your shoe then what's the point?

I can understand that folks would buy them as some sort of fashion accessory, their choice.
But i think it should be made clear that they offer absolutely no functional purpose except making your running shoe less breathable and to stay damper longer if it gets wet.

Are you absolutely sure that the ones you bought are Dirty Girl Gaiters? They're just a thin piece of lycra, so they're super breathable and dry quickly.

Sounds like your gaiters are WAY too big. They're supposed to fit snugly over your sock, just above your ankle. No gaps and they shouldn't be big enough to slouch down. Make sure the velcro strip is all the way down at the bottom of the heel of your shoe, so that the gaiter forms a tight and snug seal. You shouldn't even have enough room to slide a finger between your gaiter and your ankle, much less gaps.

kimbur96
12-30-2015, 21:36
I use them every now and again for trail running. I really like them with shoes that have gaiter attachments like the Altra Lone Peak 2.5. The velcro is already built into the shoe!
i'll be wearing that exact set this weekend for my ultra

RockDoc
12-31-2015, 01:20
Used dg gaitors for years, till I found run funky gaitors; better made and wild colors.

cmoulder
12-31-2015, 10:54
I have been using a similar gaiter marketed by OR called "Sparkplug". I don't know if DG, OR or whomever had the idea first, but I basically like it.

Although it keeps most of the junk out of my trail runners, very small rock bits and twigs occasionally worked their way in through the lace area. I saw an idea on BPL to sew a loop into the top of the toe area of the shoe to stretch the gaiter out and cover the laces more. I did this, but it still didn't cover the gaps, so I made some plastic spreaders for the front part of the gaiters and now the laces are covered. Almost never get crap working its way into my TRs now.

squeezebox
12-31-2015, 11:00
I weat Lowa Renegade boots and they barely cover the top of my boots.

QHShowoman
12-31-2015, 11:06
I weat Lowa Renegade boots and they barely cover the top of my boots.

They're really designed to wear with trail runners. If you're wearing boots, they're pretty pointless.

cmoulder
12-31-2015, 11:50
They're really designed to wear with trail runners. If you're wearing boots, they're pretty pointless.

+2

Might also work with some low hikers, but for boots I'd use something such as OR Rocky Mountain low gaiters, or other mfg equivalent. I love OR Endurance gaiters for snowshoeing with Vasque Snowblime boots.

capehiker
12-31-2015, 15:05
Used dg gaitors for years, till I found run funky gaitors; better made and wild colors.

Thanks for that plug. Just picked up a pair.

bill1980
12-31-2015, 15:29
I use them with a merrell moab ventilator shoe and they work fine. No gaps, nothing gets in the shoe, and, best of all, using permethrin on them and tucking your trouser legs in them makes a good defense against ticks. Having insect proofed your pants is another level of protection. Hot in the summer, but I can live with that, can't live with lyme disease.

Hummy585
01-01-2016, 10:41
I just got a set for Christmas, looking forward to wearing them out...

rhjanes
01-01-2016, 11:24
I went with these >>> CLICK THIS (http://www.simblissity.net/levagaiter.htm)

shelb
01-01-2016, 14:11
o I made some plastic spreaders for the front part of the gaiters and now the laces are covered. Almost never get crap working its way into my TRs now.

Have you had any problems with the loop in the shoe ripping a hole in the shoe material?